Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

American Dad posted:

See how the connection on the bottom of the chest is red, the pipe is probably full of crap that doesn't fit in the planter and wont pull anything else. You should just replace the chest itself with an itemduct.

Itemducts won't connect to some MFR stuff that doesn't have inventories, least I haven't found a way to make em. MFR Harvesters & Composters output items but don't have inventories, notably. I've had best luck sticking an item router beside a harvester and just putting dummy items in all the slots of the router but the one I connect my itemduct to, and that seems to work pretty good.

Ninja Edit: Alternately itemducts will stick to hopper outputs and hoppers under MFR harvesters/composters work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

taiyoko posted:

So I decided in my SSP world that waiting to make stuff till I'd legitimately gathered supplies was taking too long.

So what I'm wondering, is there a way to use ME crafting with a TE3 induction smelter? Particularly, I want to use sand + 2 bronze dust -> 2 bronze bars with a chance of slag. I have it crafting the dust, but I can't figure out how to get a ME Interface with a pattern to register the pattern as usable.

You have a couple options. The best results I've had for using ME interfaces with multi-input Thermal Expansion machines is to place the interface with the recipe (send 1 sand + 2 bronze dust -> get 2 bronze bars) on an MFR item router, and have your thermal expansion machine (in this case the induction smelter) configured to take the sand input through one face and the dusts through another, then have the item router send those faces appropriate items. Slap an import bus on the output face of the smelter with the TE machine configured to send all outputs to that face, and it should make your bronze with sand and bronze dust and whatever slag gets made gets imported to the ME network along with your bronze bars.

If ALL this smelter is ever going to do is smelt dusts/ores with sand (you will thus never use it to make electrum or hardened glass) you could rig an igneous extruder to crap cobble into a pulverize forever, have the pulverizer's secondary gravel output import bus'd to the me, and the primary sand output fed into the induction smelter face that receives sand. Then you could put the interface on the face of the smelter that takes the dust and just have the recipe be dusts -> ingots (the sand'll always be there, after all, the ME doesn't need to be "aware" of it.) Note this option means you have a constant flow of gravel into your ME you may or may not want; a void pipe's another option for the gravel output if you don't want it.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Khorne posted:

My favorite way is to hook up a smelter or liquid transposer for each recipe and just have it dump infinite "enabler" items. So I'd have a rich slag smelter, a sand smelter, a redstone transposer, a glowstone transposer, etc. You just use an interface or export cable hooked up to the side to feed that color in. Then you use an interface with the recipe for the normal item, except the recipe is just the ore or just the item. It takes a little bit more upfront investment, but in the long term it's smooth sailing and lets you neatly organize things. It's also pretty straight forward to do.

The item router method posted above me is actually pretty brilliant.

I used to do single-purpose machine setups like that for ME crafting, especially for magma crucible/liquid transposer combo recipes like making tesseracts or redstone energy cells, but one MFR item router (or probably diamond transport pipe or an item filter, I haven't tried all the options) greatly streamlines things and cuts down on how many machines you need to have set up at once. And you don't wind up with tesseract frames in your magma crucible :argh:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Tinker's Construct is a pretty cool mod, I just wish they'd jam in a TE or Mekanism recipe to get "Electric" instead of having 1 and only 1 point where an IC2 thing comes into it.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

The best thing with tinker's construct is that its tools are relevant all game. Even before you have enough clay/gravel for a proper smelter, obsidian/cobble/etc can be made into parts with the tables alone, no smelter required. Once you have a smelter, Alumite's the top-tier no-nether-materials way to make tools, then with access to the nether steel opens up (assuming you have some mod with steel in it, I'm talking railcraft and needing magma cream for the blast furnace mostly) and then past steel the cobalt/ardite/manullyn materials open up. I also like that you can mix and match mats for composite tools and that there isn't a "best" material. For most tool heads cobalt comes out the best but for weapons manullyn's better (higher damage) and obsidian stays relevant for throwing Reinforced III onto any tool. Hell, even paper, thaumium and cactus are relevant materials you'll want around for various tconst bits.

EDIT: King Slime, however, is a giant rear end in a top hat.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Railcraft's boilers and big tanks are pretty handy, and steel's nice to have for tinker's construct.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Not really, you still get multiple DSUs per tesseract and they're still cheaper than ME drives *and* energy-free. I think DSUs are still cheap for what they do.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Lead's fairly plentiful and Invar's just iron and ferrous ingots. How is this more expensive than the tesseract and its requisite shiny ingots, ender pearls, etc :confused:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Mr Scumbag posted:

I'm thinking of switching modpacks to something that has all of the usual tech mods (AE, IC, BC) but adds a lot of stuff to the world to encourage exploring. I kind of want the best of both worlds, to be able to automate a bunch of poo poo but also to explore dungeons, maybe use some magic and kill a whole bunch of different kinds of monsters. The ability to level up in some way with skills/skilltrees would be a bonus but I think I'm probably asking a bit much already.

Is there any modpack that perfectly fills those criteria? Or failing that, anything that comes close?

Never Stop Toasting has those techmods (besides IC, but Mekanism, TE and MFR fill in ably for IC) and Twilight Forest, Galacticraft etc for your "must explore dungeons and fight bosses" itch. Thaumcraft has a discoveries/tech tree thing that's sorta close to the skilltree idea but I don't know a better mod for it. Mo Creatures similarly gives you a reason to explore if you decide to play pokemon with the tons of new creatures and MFR safari nets.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

For people struggling with zombies in mekanism armor: If you have tinker's construct, the rapier ignores armor and thus kills them real good. Consider keeping even a lovely cobble rapier on hand for armored foes. The whole rapier-ignoring-armor thing also means it knocks down Twilight Forest Lich King shields same as a reflected ender pearl.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

The NST ore/ingot issues are also mostly an issue prior to getting yourself an ME setup, since tying a unifier into that with some export/import busses will thereafter handle all this for you automatically.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

D34THROW posted:

Everything's working now and I got in some diet toast before work. Thanks, ya'll! :neckbeard:

While I know exactly what you mean "Diet Toast" will never cease to amuse me as a language construction.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The annoying part really is getting up an animal breeding facility and then you need to let the RNG decide if you get pink slime or not. Right now I have 2 buckets of meat and 250mB of slime :(

Yeah but MFR has your back. Get 1 bucket and thus enough to make one small slime and you can either futz around with slime-embiggening syringes and all that garbage or you can just safari net that fucker and stick him an autospawer/grinder setup. Same livestock breeding pen that fed the slaughterhouse to make the first pink slime can feed essence to the spawner/grinder combo and make you all the pink slimeballs you want.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Khorne posted:

Float 3 blocks above the ground, nothing hits, you can kill everything with a sword.

When I discovered this for the first time it was in The End and I was like a kid in an Ender Pearl & experience candy store as we had both the MPS flight and Tconst AoE attack scythes. The best part being you don't even have to antagonize them besides looking at them to get a big mosh pit going beneath you. I later found out that's a pretty sad way to get ender pearls or experience but we were all minecraft young and naive once.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am finally started to hollow out and set up the work site for my undersea dome using (mostly) NST 1.6 (added enchantment plus and switched the mapping mod). This means migrating a lot of gear and setting up a respectable workshop instead of cramming poo poo into a mud hut. I have some questions on using big boy tools.

What's an optimal ore grinding setup? I have been smelting with the Tinker's Construct smeltery, which already has a 2x yield. I am close to having enough stuff to set up a respectable clear glass dumping rig with a second smeltery, but I could just get started now if I tore down my current one and merged it into the new parts I have. I am hearing things about different things that provide little bonuses and crap when grinding down ores, and it looks like nether ores are best serviced by grinding them down, so now I am looking into it with some seriousness.

How do I plan out a biofuel setup for powering a bunch of stuff going on underground? I have been setting up farming mostly to get the seeds for making magic crops, so I have a bunch of wheat left over. Right now, every harvest I can safely got a full 64 bales of hay (9 x 64 wheat) from what I have. What kind of stuff can I drive with that? I also have 8 heat pumps that give me a little help charging my power suits right now which I can throw into the mix.

I saw everybody going on about the AE storage. How should I do a mid-game setup? I am looking at something I know I'll want to move again, and I am getting fed up building more chests for random stuff. I'm also looking looking at something like mining out 500,000+ blocks from under the dome area where I want to setup all the workshops and such, so I need something better than, say, 300 chests. I was tempted to just get the basics set up next to each other and consolidate my current setup.

NST 1.6 answers:

Optimal ore grinding varies depending on needs/efforts.

1. TE3 pulverizers are the easy button and give you ore doubling + a little extra (% chances of a third dust of another metal type, ie sometimes copper ore gives you 2 copper dusts and 1 gold dust, but it always gives you the two copper dusts, or instead of another metal dust it'll give you cinnabar for redstone ore.)

2. TE3 also offers ore doubling via running ores with sand in an Induction Smelter, which yields slag/rich slag. Slag can be used to make rockwool, a flameproof wool duplicate, and rich slag (or cinnabar) can be used in place of the sand to smelt ores to yield tripling instead of doubling. Note for the induction smelter option you will need to provide unlimited sand somehow (TE3 has you covered here too; igneous extruder making cobble into a pulverizer will produce sand and small amounts of gravel forever.) Note you won't be getting a lot of rich slag or cinnabar, but it can still be worthwhile to save it to use with a specific high-need ore.

3. Mekanism allows straight up tripling at very high throughput, but this is a fairly complicated and costly setup better explained by someone else.

As for biofuel, what you really want are magical dye crops, as their product can give you enough different dyes to max out efficiency on MFR biofuel reactors. You'll want some kind of autocrafting (TE3 cyclic assemblers and/or a ME setup with a Molecular Assembly Chamber) to automate this. Having a lot of one single input (like your shitloads of hay) is not a good way to make biofuel; it is much better to have many different input types for max efficiency.

For immediately getting an ME setup for storage/automatically feeding machines you just need an ME controller, an ME drive, some drives for that, a way to power it, and cable and busses enough for your machines. I'd suggest building a Molecular Assembly chamber with at least one pattern storage so the thing could at least craft more bits of itself for convenience in expanding towards it handling all your autocrafting and logistical needs.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I didn't get to the storage tonight since I was short on nether quartz, and that started a huge tangent. Before hitting up the nether, I wanted to try to enchant some stuff and generally buff up. My portal is at the edge of a cliff, where above me is monster spawn death land. On the other hand, I think I'll be able to get to the magical dye you recommended sooner instead of later. I did another harvest of all my crap, and decided to look up applications of wheat again. That's when I ran into the SAG mill. I didn't know about that drat thing and how it could give me two seeds. So I was able to break down my hay bales into seeds, and from there to essence. I finally got the diamond seeds I wanted, followed by the ender seeds I wanted. I was looking at what to do next, and I guess dye would be a good thing.

It sounds like at best the thermal expansion gear may give me a better yield than 2x, as the other machines look like they only help with very specific ores.

I need to get some blaze rods. Are there any clever ways to run into them without finding a fortress in the Nether? When I did Hexxit, the Twilight Forest would come up with some crap that spawned blazes, but I couldn't tell if that was Hexxit-specific. I see there are some specific places you could get them there in the mod normally, but I think there was another mod generating little spots that shat out blazes for whatever reason. I suppose I have similar questions about getting necrotic bones and nether stars.

MFR makes any mob drop easy. Grab one of whatever mob you want drops from with a reusable safari net and use a spawner & grinder setup somewhere with some other mob essence input (you don't get enough essence back from the grinding to cover the spawning.) Good ways to get a bunch of mob essence for this would be to set up a grinder next to an existing mob spawner (the cage kind you find out in the world) or move such a spawner to somewhere you have a grinder via Soul Shards2 stuff or a PortaSpawner (costs a nether star) or to have a grinder grind pigs/cows/chickens/sheep thrown into a pen by a MFR Chronotyper after being reproduced with a MFR Breeder. If you only need a little you can also disenchant stuff via MFR for the mob essence, throw potions of enchanting onto an MFR sewer, etc. Note that in the case of a Wither Skeleton you'll have to use the "EXACT COPY" option on the spawner, which costs more essence, or you'll get a regular Skeleton instead of a Wither one.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I think I went overboard on mine. I teleported 4 witch spawners into this dungeon to feed my auto-spawning emerald farm :ohdear:

On the other hand I'll never want for redstone, glowstone, spider eyes, sticks or glass bottles again. Those witches have a bunch of junk in their pockets.

You're a monster. Some kind of Joseph Mengele-Rube Goldberg hybrid monster. You aren't planning on building a set of various themed robots to do whatever the hell Dr. Wily was always trying to do, are you?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Guess at the NST problem: TE3 energy cells have a config to set faces as input/output/none. Be sure your conduit's plugged into an output face. Also digital miners and laser drills are both better longterm resource procurement options than BC quarries in NST1.6.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Thanks for all the replies. I think I got it going. I'll especially highlight this because I was dumb.

I totally forgot about that TE3 configuration UI and wasn't even looking at the tabs for the energy cell. Once I figured out which face was the one I wanted, it started to output. Thanks!

As for the pipe, I only had a lever to turn on the redstone pump, but no lever or signal of any kind to tell the refinery to output from its pipe. Also, I was attaching a wooden transport pipe to the tank, instead of having stone go all the way. I think something is to be desired about the whole plumbing thing in these mods. Is there a nice summary page somewhere with the major mods all together? Maybe I'll just start posting what I know, which isn't much. Since I have to start worrying about fluid and item transport, it's probably a good time for somebody that hasn't fitted their brain to the problem to highlight it all.

If you use fluiducts/itemducts from TE3 instead of buildcraft pipe, you can right-click a given piece of *duct with a pneumatic servo to configure it to be active on low signal instead of high signal and thus bypass needing the levers to provide redstone signal. Right click with an empty hand to configure after you've added the servo and there's a redstone config panel just like TE3 machines have.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

D34THROW posted:

Mek :argh:

That reminds me, is there any autocrafting solution in NST Diet? I don't mean like AE crafting chambers, I mean like the old autocrafting tables from Buildcraft. I looked at the Machinist's Workbench on the COFH wiki but I didn't see anything about autocrafting like I'm looking for. I want to just be able to dump my essences into my AE system and have it automatically craft up what it can and store the results.

You want a Thermal Expansion 3 "Cyclic Assembler." They interface with AE systems well. Just be sure you use the 'O' key to turn off NEI when you're trying to set a recipe on the blank schematic for one.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

TheChad posted:

So, I built a steam engine, and it works (built it on top of an water pumping machine so it gets a steady stream and powers up. I also built a pulverizer and I'm a bit lost. How do I get power from the steam engine to the pulverizer? I placed it adjacent to the steam engine, did I screw up? How do I move it?

Game is hard. :D

Thermal Expansion no longer uses MJ from Buildcraft/Railcraft stuff, and instead has its own RF system. Instead of a steam engine you want a steam dynamo or compression dynamo for powering TE3 stuff. It's backwards compatible so stuff that uses MJ can take RF power, but MJ producers won't give you RF.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I should probably look more into the other mekanism generators beyond the heat/thermal one. That was the first thing I ever got to work so I got a little too obsessed with them.

Is there a decent early-game way to generate lava for a smeltery? I tried the first-tier RotaryCraft lava generator, and that thing requires a little more power than I expected, the turnover is way to slow, and I haven't been able to pipe out the lava yet. I was hoping to get a smeltery up quickly without having to make runs down to some lava stash somewhere.

MFR's got a lava fabricator and Thermal Expansion has one too. They're both also power-intensive, although when burning netherrack for lava in the TE one it's actually energy-profitable to use the lava to run magma dynamos to run the system so that's probably the way to go if you want energy-cheap lava for a time frame you can afford to be shoveling in netherrack.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Serifina posted:

Does it really give me any benefit that I don't get already with MFR, TE, and Mek?

You can sperg about torque and rpms and other new things to sperg about. What're mods for anyway?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Magma Crucible -> Tinker's Construct Basin -> Cyclic Assembler loop still produces limitless ender pearls, don't it?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Hell yeah, if so. Mount & Blade: Technic Pack. :getin:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

GhostSeven posted:

How about using NST Diet modpack that has Mekanism in it and you can still be using the launcher then :) Unless your invested in your current pack

If you're new and wanna learn how a shitload of good mods work at once and work between one another, NST Diet's a good choice and there's a goon server with a good community of folks that'll help you learn this stuff. Just be forewarned it's still a pretty big modpack so don't be surprised if the first person you meet with a giant base of infinite wealth production doesn't know how widgetcraft works and can't fix your widgets.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Oh good, I'm not the only one :shobon:

Regarding NST Diet as well, wasn't there supposed to be a way to make your equipped power armor invisible so people can see your skin while you gottagofast? I dont see anything like that in the tinker table, just full player camo or invis or whatever that is that takes holo emitters.

Like most mods that make this particular bad decision, MPS has a hotkey for that. IIRC it's "L."

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Is there any particularly good reason to have ME subnets?

It's usually not necessary, mostly. One big ME network doesn't exactly have scalability issues in particular and is more convenient if you ever want some of that 256k oak wood sitting on one of the subnets. Somewhere. That you maybe remembered to slap a terminal on. In general for applications that'd be well-suited to an ME subnet, it's easier, cheaper and energy-free to use pneumatic servos on itemducts.

EDIT: Frankly the two biggest scalability issues with AE are item types and storage space (disk limitations) and for space the easiest solution is to stick storage busses on MFR Deep Storage Units, which are energy-free mass storage (2 billion or some such poo poo) for a single item type. For types just get more drives, size doesn't matter so much as long as anything you have a lot of is being offloaded to storage bus'd DSU's.

chairface fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 9, 2014

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I've only ever seen up to 1.6.4, personally.

I don't have enough items for size to be a concern yet, though I'm about halfway there on types. Not sure how close I'm gonna get with ten 1k disks, though. (Couldn't I also add more disk drives and disks instead of DSUs?)

Speaking of DSUs, I've never heard of them. From context, are they chests that hold billions of exactly one item? Seems limited unless you have an entire goddamn room full of them.

On another note entirely, I think I need an idea for something new to do on Endeavour. Doing pretty buildings doesn't interest me much; automatic ore processing is cranking right along on its own at this point; and Thaumcraft has proven to have less to do with casting spells than I'd hoped, leaving me uninterested. (From random reading, I sort of wish Endeavour had Ars Magica 2, though I've never tried it.)

You got it, a DSU is a block that requires no power that can store ~2 billion of a single thing. They're also somewhat expensive to make initially.

While you could just add more disks to ME drives instead, remember each disk is limited by size and types. If you have more of a single type of item than a disk can store, it just fills up that whole disk, regardless of there nominally being 62 more "types" available. A real pitfall with ME systems once you start plugging in automatic productions is getting your disks full of junk you don't want/need like hundreds of thousands of dirt or cobble, say. For each such thing you start introducing a constant input of, the DSU provides a safety buffer you'll probably never even approach filling. Even if you did fill one up, by then it'd be trivially cheap to slap on another 2 billion storage.

Personally I go with a room full of them, and sticking an item frame on them to put an example block of what's in a given one. It's less space-efficient than lots of big ME disks, but quartz tends to be way more limiting for me in scaling up an ME system to handle it alone vs. the resources/space for a buncha DSUs. They're not worth having for EVERY item type, just anything you've got a whole lot of. If you don't like the idea of having a "storage room" full of the things, they can also be used inline (stick one next to the MFR farm array to just directly store inputs/outputs with an itemduct network and only the DSUs themselves storage bus'd into the ME network - saves on ME power draw by reducing cables and numbers of busses.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm kind of glad I'm not the only who person who finds Thaumcraft a tedious grindfest. I ended up just removing it from my local copy of NST: Diet, along with EE3.

Speaking of NST: Diet, this is my first time using Tinker's Construct, and it's pretty nice! The smeltery is extremely cool (and much easier to set up than a hand grinder, since clay is vastly more common than quartz) and the tools are a nice upgrade to fill in the lengthy gap between stone no longer being good enough, and finding diamonds.

That said, it seems like with thermex and MPS installed, it occupies a fairly narrow niche and becomes obsolete pretty quickly. Once you find an emerald and can reliably generate power, the MPS Power Fist replaces all of the TC tools in a single item slot, and once you have power generation, a thermex grinder and smelte r does everything the smeltery does - granted, it doesn't look nearly as cool, but it takes up a tiny fraction of the space. You can automate the smeltery, but it hardly seems worth it considering how big it is.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this. I think I just wish that the smeltery remained relevant for longer, because I love pouring molten steel over things.

(Also, gently caress Endermen. I need four Ender Pearls so that I can imprint some seeds so that I can grow ender pearls and never have to give a poo poo about endermen ever again. I've killed five Endermen and I have one pearl, and sadly NST: Diet doesn't appear to come with that ore Big Dig had that can be smelted into pearls.)

I really don't find the powerfist to adequately replace TConst tools, no. You're clearly not making the right TConst tools to go with your powersuit. Try a cobalt-head 2x cobalt plates thaumium sturdy handle hammer. With all a flux capacitor and all the redstone and lapis you can cram on. Or a thaumium handle, paper crossbar, manullyn blade rapier with max lapis and max quartz. The high end tconst stuff you can make once thaumium, cobalt, ardite, and manullyn become options and "will require a nether star, gold block, diamond, 1200 redstone and 700 lapis" isn't a cost quote that matters just get silly powerful. Scythes, Excavators, Hammers, the combo shovel-axe thing, Rapiers and a few other tconst tools are really good and only get better with your willingness to sink tons of resources into em. Having the whole flux thing going on now is nice too, since IC2's gone so Electric's dead.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I realize that it's basically ginning up ores out of thin air, but is it me or is the mekanismMFR (oops) laser drill... er, kind of terrible? One ore every 30 seconds for absolutely insane power drain? :(

As other folks have mentioned, don't think of the drill as competing per se with buildcraft quarries, mekanism digiminers, etc. The drill is "I have arbitrary power available and don't want to put effort into having a constant stream of ores incoming anymore." Thus it's actually pretty great if you have arbitrary power available, because now you can just forget about mining entirely and sit back while ores roll in passively. It's also pretty solidly balanced in that try as I might I never could come up with an energy-profitable way to rig one up as purely self-sustaining. All black filters, running all the coal through coke ovens, and then burning the coal coke and creosote oil in high pressure boilers came closest, but Railcraft got the axe in the NST -> NST Diet transition and it still wasn't quite enough anyway. Still, if you have a shitload of spare power via some other scheme like a big reactor or MFR treefarms making charcoal or whatever, there's really no better way to spend it than producing random ore with it.

Note that like most people who lament railcraft's absence in modpacks like Diet that dropped buildcraft, not a word of complaint was heard about its minecarts and rail systems being absent. Nope, people instead miss coke ovens and boilers.

EDIT: For above guy's question, if I have an MFR planter I need stocked with X types of seeds, I put 1 cobble in each space of the 4x4 grid for the planter until I'm down to X open spaces. Then I go ahead and put a stack of each type of seed in, and now as any seed gets used, more coming in through the itemduct will refill the existing stack and we can thereafter route extra seeds across one of those +1000 path link item ducts into an ME or void pipe or whatever.

chairface fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 13, 2014

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

This is a great idea. Is there anything Tesseracts can't solve? :allears:

You should've seen even just a few months ago, when TE3 Tesseracts were typed and much less useful (still pretty handy for certain things, though) and there were no itemducts, only buildcraft pipes. TE3 has spoiled us all.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Serifina posted:

That's 'cause they were TE2 Tesseracts, not TE3. (The change to Tesseracts has made them infinitely more useful, even if they are a bit more of a pain to make now.)

Right, I meant just TE and not TE3.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Serifina posted:

Yeah, but pneumatic servos really aren't expensive. I use them everywhere all the time, even early game (because I hate random levers all over the place).

How many times have I completely raged at a machine setup not working only to find a spot that either needed a lever, or a needed (and installed) lever was interfering with some other poo poo by turning it off when turning on my other thing that needed a lever :argh:

Also not sure if this was just me or I did something wrong or whatever, but on the old NST1.6 fatty I used to have issues with level emitters facing export busses plugged into igneous extruders turning the igneous extruders on/off even though the emitter isn't adjacent to or pointing at the extruder. Redstone signal propagation remains magic voodoo I don't understand sometimes.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Smarmy Coworker posted:

I'm using those, but my problem is still I don't know how to set it up so I can make sure fluids only go into machines when I want them :( *super sad*
well now I'm trying to set up a Soul Shard enderman farm so :shrug:

edit: why do ic2 cables not work with microblocks. this is literally, even worse of a mod than it was when i didn't know this. what the hell. do facades from BC work?

If you're talking magma crucible recipes, the best solution I've found is to stick an AE ME Interface onto an MFR Item Router. The interface has the various recipes to make tesseracts, redstone conduit, etc, in it, and passes the received mats to the router, which sends meltables to the magma crucible and the other bits to the liquid transposer. There's a bit of lag here as you've necessarily gotta wait for the crucible to melt the fluids that will be piped into the liquid transposer. If you're not set on doing it with one set of machines, I'd make a magma crucible for each exotic fluid type.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

There are people who have played even heavily-modded minecraft for years who are unaware The End exists or that there's a dragon. It's just so tacked on and has nothing to do with anything else going on in the game. Why not some King of the Nether, who is perhaps the origin of the undead and suicide bombers on the overworld?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

The nether metals: cobalt, ardite and manyullyn. There's "Pig Iron", bronze, glass, and emerald. Depending on other mods there is also lead and platinum.

Also blood and glue.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

SourceElement posted:

I just encountered a weird and frustrating bug. My smelters suddenly refused to continue smelting anything, and the jobs all paused at arbitrary points.

It's been sitting like that for several minutes and I'm not sure how to unpause the smelting operation.

Everytime I've had this, they're actually continuing to smelt normally and the UI's just hosed. If that's not the case then I dunno.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

For tree farms I tend to use a checkerboard pattern. Solid farms tend to not give enough saplings to be purely renewable. Checkerboarding it seems enough to guarantee you'll have plenty of saplings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I thought I'd try this thing with explosive again. Is there a mod that prevents explosives from destroying blocks? I mean that I want the explosion to still transform them into something to pick up. I wanted to try it out as an alternative to early-game mining when I want to get into technical stuff. I guess that also means the explosives have to be fairly easy to make. I could get a Mekanism obsidian tnt pipeline working with a few machines. It would be a bit slow, but a little more stimulating to me when I eventually branch mine for some diamonds.

Outside of the old EE2 catalyst bomb dealies I never had much luck explosive mining. They are really useful for building a ~X chunks hole down to bedrock though.

• Locked thread