Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So Azanor has uploaded a video which I guess details how he intends research to work now. Seems pretty interesting and looks a hell of a lot better than more or less injecting a ton of resources into a desk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3dgIfOQaU8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So in Minecraft news, today Dinnerbone released the first version of a dev tool that generates every possible crash in minecraft that has been detected by the launcher. Just over 59 pages of reports for MC 1.6.2, kind of big but I was expecting more.

How does this relate to the modding thread? Well, it also tracks if the game was modded or not. Which boosts the list of crashes and bugs from 60 pages to 1,146. 1,086 pages of crash report data comes from modded clients alone.

So how is this useful for mod developers? Well Dinnerbone plans on hooking this directly into the client and allowing for additional information to be conveyed to the player. When the game crashes, not only will it let you know if the crash has been documented before, but if there is a solution to the fix.

Dinnerbone gives this page as an example of what this would look like. The page gives your proper crash info, how many times this crash has been reported, jar version, if the issue is being tracked on the JIRA (The minecraft bug tracker) and provides a link to it on JIRA if so, and if the issue is unresolved or resolved but not fixed. However most important about this page is the green box at the top that tells you why the crash is happening and how to fix/prevent the crash if there is any way to.

Now here is the thing, Dinnerbone is apparently working towards allowing mod devs to find crashes related to their mod and use this as an automatically generating list of crasehs and bugs they should look at as well as provide solutions to crashes within the game client, bypassing the need for people to even post error reports and requests for help on forums.

While still a heavy work in progress, Dinnerbone is working on filters and such that will allow modders to see which crashes is caused by which mod (For example, DB points out that he can look up Buildcraft, and find 419 unique crashes).

With proper secured account linking mod devs to access crashes associated with their mods, this could be a great tool for tracking and fixing crashes (as well as potentially provide hilarious public displays of mod drama when devs decide to fight it out in the crash logs like Greg did).

Maybe I am over thinking this, but it seems like a pretty decent tool.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 14, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So new (kind of major) update to TerraFirmaCraft.

I was originally going to write up a synopsis, but there is a ton covered in this video. Early game looks a hell lot easier to get through and just general content added since I last played is pretty striking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDMclKAXK7k

Horses were not included this patch (Dunk is getting help from the person doing Simply Horses for horse implementation, though he is making his own model), but are slated to come out soonish.

TFC is still very spergy and kind of grindy, but it allows for such amazing building opportunities:

That floor is made from strips of like five different types of wood. :v:

Check out the change log for Build 77 and 76 (since the last one I kind of missed and was kind of big too, added leather-crafting for example) can be viewed here.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 21, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Time to run a server again, I think. That looks fantastic. The only thing missing once he adds horses is the ability to harness water or wind to pump those bellows. Maybe even move the finite water he has to make fountains.

Finite water was actually removed in build 77.3, "Finite water removed. Originally this was going to wait for 0.78.0, however I decided to do this now since I was fixing some bucket related crashes anyways."

I am not entirely sure why, maybe the way they had it implemented was off.

Pottery is still pretty basic, beehive kilns are confirmed by one of the staff, but were dropped from build 77 in order to get it out the door sooner (build 77 took months to get out because of several major rewrites) so it should be in build 78 hopefully with more ceramic stuff (they talked a lot about making ceramics your tier zero storage, since wood requires a saw to produce planks. So you'd make big rear end clay jars to store your poo poo in. Vessels kind of act that way, but you really can't store them on the ground yet).

I do know that rope is being added soon, and I cannot see it just being used for leads, so maybe basic pulleys and what not will be for that. Dunk continues to talk about replacing the redstone system with simple steam mechanics and they've been talking about using lead pipes for transferring liquids (for irrigation mostly, but it would go into the steam idea) for the longest time.

The new way combat works is pretty neat too, I remember Dunk on irc talking about breaking damage up into sub categories, they got a lot more planned with this with the skill system (things get easier the more you do something, death makes you lose proficiency in your skills), and the updated first aid system that was suggested by someone that the Dev's liked should be pretty neat if they go with it.

If you want batshit insane, someone is making a conversion mod for BuildCraft to work with TFC with converted recipes. I don't know why anyone would really want this since the recipes are crazy expensive and it doesn't really get you anywhere. :v:

Would like to see instead someone to get something like bibliocraft converted over to use TFC planks instead.

Edit:

I found Dunk's early WIP for the horse model, goddamn and people were bitching that the vanilla horses were too detailed:

Enzer fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 21, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

This is looking great. Not needing to hunt down squid to start making tools is good, not needing an anvil early-game is good, not having to shape ingots (besides to work steel) is good, the water jug (despite requiring one more item in your inventory) is good since it sucks getting thirty far from water. Really, lot of quality of life enhancements in this. Kind of funny that something like TFC can be trying to make the game more pleasant and has devs shoot down a lot of the stupid "make it harder/more realistic" suggestions fans make, while so many other mods embrace that arbitrary hassle.

Indeed, the dev's have a very good sense of gameplay balance and while things at time seem to get retarded because they add a new tier of progress (planks needing a saw for example, making tier zero development to be clay brick and thatched roofing in the future, but even then you can mold a copper saw blade and stick a stick on it for a handle) which shifts everything over, they never go overboard and have been pretty vocal that the old smithing system was never implemented right, that the anvil didn't feel right, etc.

The amount of posts I see of people literally going "go full gregtech, make it hard" is staggering and good on them for not feeding into that stupidity. TFC is hard through gameplay and survival aspects, not by making a 40 step build path for basic poo poo. I mean, could you imagine GT style tool crafting? They'd have you making screws, threading holes for the screws, constructing a lathe to produce the correct shape handle for the correct tool, nailing each individual plank of wood in place (if you haven't seen planks recently, they are super goddam thin, like 1/8th of a block I think, allows for better wall decoration options and you can make super thin walls to hide your support beams). :psyduck:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Nastyman posted:

Am I right in that this is basically Microblocks but more than one block piece can occupy the same "standard block" space? Cause we've been tooling around with MCB but it kind of annoyed me how I apparently couldn't put several block fragments right next to eachother in the same 1x1 block space, and this might be just the thing.

e: Nevermind, I guess TFC is that realistic minecraft thing. Still, is it possible at all to do what I'm asking?

Forge Multi Part, as pointed out, is a good equivalent, but TFC takes things to an insane degree that I haven't seen before and I so wish someone would just full copy the TFC chisel as a standalone mod. I'll quote the wiki here.

TFC Wiki posted:

Smoothing Mode
With this mode selected, the player can polish raw stone. Unlike raw stone, which must be mined in a special manner, this polished stone may be mined directly. This polished stone may be further worked with a chisel to make slabs or stairs.

Slab Mode
This mode 'shaves' the targeted face of a block. Each face may be shaved a maximum of eight times, with each use of the chisel removing another eighth of the original block. Any face of the block may be shaved at any time, meaning it is possible to create blocks of almost any size and position. Slabs created in this way do not drop when mined, and must be created on the spot. Slabs do not connect to fences or glass panes, and grass will grow under slabs of any size.

Stair Mode
This mode turns the targeted block into a stair block. Creating upside-down stairs is done by targeting the bottom face of a block. Stairs created in this way do not drop when mined, and must be created on the spot.

Detail Mode
As of Beta Build 70, a new Detail mode has been added. This mode allows for a block to be converted into an 8x8x8 block consisting of 512 sub-blocks that can be chiseled away individually to have highly detailed work. Pressing the key 'L' (by default) locks your chisel to the last block that you used the detail mode on, making it easier to detail one block at a time. Pressing 'L' again will unlock the chisel and allow it to detail other blocks.

It is stupid levels of detail:

So basically you can shave up to eight layers from each side of a block, or break any block into a 512 part multi-cube and poke out individual units. Detailed mode is made a bit painless in that once you sculpt something, you can copy it to a blue print and then apply that as a one time use item onto a block do duplicate whatever you made originally. This allows for some neat server ideas if you want to build some kind of township economy thing going on.

Since everything in TFC is so in-depth and that it is hard to do everything yourself, it is very easy to start up an economy where you have people who smelt metals, others forging, some growing crops or tending animals, hunters, miners, fuel production (finding a coal vein can take a long rear end time, requires a lot of resources in the form of picks and proper mineshaft supports and charcoal pits are a lengthy process) and finally those who sell custom "furniture" or architecture in the form of blueprints (here is a lamp, here is a pillar, etc etc).

Could be totally doable, just would need a stable population of maybe 15 players or more.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 21, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Danith posted:

I have a VPS sitting around, would anyone be interested in a Terrafirmacraft (http://terrafirmacraft.com/index.html) server? I played it awhile ago and thought it was pretty neat but very intricate.

I'd be interested, its a nice way to shake up the game without going a tech or magic route.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Danith posted:

I have a VPS sitting around, would anyone be interested in a Terrafirmacraft (http://terrafirmacraft.com/index.html) server? I played it awhile ago and thought it was pretty neat but very intricate.

I would suggest, that if you do set up a TFC server, please have Smart Moving installed on the server. It makes building structures and getting around so much easier that even the TFC devs use it on their servers.

Tsurupettan posted:

TFC intimidated the gently caress out of me, more than any tech or magic mod I've fiddled with. I'm down to at least give it a try with some others.

Yeah, it is a whole lot to take in and is best to do as a group, at least until you get settled if you are super spergy about poo poo. Getting basic infrastructure down is a lot easier when you have a few people to break the task apart and it is super handy to have several people working the forge at once, reduces time to craft poo poo by a ton. Great MP mod.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 23, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Prepare for mods to take forever, if at all, to update to 1.7 when it launches:

I think I just did the biggest refactor in Minecraft history, 222 commits, 379 files changed, 25023 lines of diffs. Breaks all the things!

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Anticheese posted:

Whatever happened to an official modding API?

"Priority on API"; launcher, attribute system, resource pack overhaul are just some of the big hurdles we needed for an API.

We needed them (the above mentioned items) for the API and they were a huge step towards it. There are other things that we're doing along the same lines.

Just because it's not done, doesn't mean it's not being done :)

Has been their stance since yesterday on the progress towards releasing an API. 1.7 has another thing they needed to do apparently in the form of in game manipulation of NBT data which before could only apparently be edited using 3rd party programs. The devs don't seem to mention or reply to people asking about the API much since any answer besides "It is done now" sends people into a stupid frothing rage. At this point it is still a matter of fixing Notch's poo poo plus adding in systems to allow for a potentially robust API (we will see if they can actually deliver on this front). :v:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So while this mainly involves a vanilla issue, I'd thought I share a little spat one of our old favorite MC modders had with one of the dev's today over Dinnerbone allowing for flexible nether portal sizes.

Source

Again, FlowerChild is flipping his poo poo over this:

I just don't even know anymore or even where to begin on the crazy poo poo he is spewing. Wanting things easier, playing to win, might as well be playing autocad and photshop. :psyduck:

I really wish that mod developers like him would just find a new game to latch onto already.

VVVVV
Good point, that is a lot of missed free entertainment.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 12, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Serifina posted:

Thankfully... It seems FlowerChild wants to make his own game. And the sooner he does that and gets out of Minecraft, the better. He's a complete nutball (with a hell of a tinfoil hat), and I've never seen anything that was as much of a grindy disaster as his mod.

Oh god, I hope the first things to come out of the community for his game is: Forge for [Insert his game's title here] followed by Better Than FlowerChild's Game. I think he might actually kill himself in anger.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So I thought what I posted earlier was all FlowerChild was ranting about. No, that is just what Dinnerbone bothered responding to.. FC saw fit to go on for several more hours.

:suspense:

Holy crap his whole twitter account is just him bitching about the most stupid things like making the game easier by adding various shortcut commands and whining to Notch.

But when someone makes a mod for his mod, and he becomes aware of it because he dares sees a mention of it somewhere, the gloves are loving off and you crossed the line, holy poo poo. :stare:

Enzer fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 12, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah, there is not much point in updating to 1.6 at this time since they already have snapshots out for 1.7 and Grum says that they did the single largest refactor in the games history, bigger apparently then when they did the SSP/SMP merger, and we all know how massive a hurdle that was. "222 commits, 379 files changed, 25,023 lines of diffs."

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
New Thaumcraft 4 teaser video for something that hasn't been shown on the forgecraft server yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ycaVzypwk

The effect is pretty cool for when he sets it up. Also a pretty kick rear end way of making the unique tools and weapons.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So how much poo poo is going to erupt when Mojang does away with static IDs, or is this not going to be that big an issue?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

fondue posted:

I never said they would be good mods, probably just thousands of 'I followed a tutorial and modified a block to have Nicoloas Cage's face on it, lol.'

I think he was laughing at the "when the API comes out" part, which usually happens when the API is mentioned in the modding thread. :v:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Shukaro posted:

Talking about "when the API comes out" is rather dumb, since it is, at best at their current rate of progress, years away, or at worst never happening.

You don't need to defend Mojang all day every day.

But I wasn't? I was saying that Wylker was probably laughing at the API coming out because it coming out is a joke by now rather than thousands of mods popping up, least that was my take on his response. :confused:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Anticheese posted:

When is 1.7 due out?

They never give out even an expected date until they get a release candidate out for testing, and sometimes that is a bit iffy. That said, we've only had two weeks of snapshots (one major snapshot every Thursday, with the occasion B,C,D versions that contain hotfixes), Jeb is out in Tokyo for the TGS, and Grum is apparently fixing what Notch felt was his worst coding decision.

Taking that into account with Dinnerbone saying that the snapshots are nowhere near feature complete yet (usually takes several weeks of snapshots slowly adding in the features of the full release so they can tackle bugs easier as each new component is added) and they usually take 2-3 snapshots after which to just do pure bug fixing... I'd guess two months, probably before the team has to pack up for Minecon.

1.7 is pretty major from a technical standpoint, featuring major revisions and the largest refactor the game has ever seen. Not much in terms for standard play content (outside of a poo poo ton new biomes and world gen), but its going to help game stability immensely in the long run.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 22, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Change all the things! :black101:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZyQpTYY6_w

:stare:

Well then, I think that is certainly a interesting direction taking mods.

Very cool of Alexander Bruce to give his grace on it. I wonder if it is the full map/game or if it breaks off into its own direction after the initial "oh poo poo I'm playing Antichamber in MC" factor. Though I do see a lot of later chambers in the trailer.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

How is 1.7 going to affect the speed of updates for mods? From everything I've read it's being hailed as a milestone update so I'm hoping that modders will update quickly so I can get some crazy amplified worlds going.

Pretty sure that 1.7 is going to be a bit of a hurdle to get through as it is the largest refactoring the game has seen to date as well as a ton of internal changes such as the removal of null blocks, smaller changes like redefining tile entities, and the removal of static IDs (while not hard set in 1.7, they are moving to a system of referring to entities in new ways. "minecraft:stone" instead of just calling an ID number, this allows for mod developers to do things like "thaumcraft:ore" and since there is no static ID, there is less worrying about ID overlap when using multiple mods).

No real way of knowing how much of a pain in the rear end this update will be until they are done with it. Right now Grum and Dinnerbone are rewriting the server and client netcode from scratch and basing it off Netty. There is also no clue when 1.7 will be done as they are currently down two developers, Jeb being on his honeymoon and EvilSeph having left the company to pursue other careers (EvilSeph wrote a lot of their tools, such as the bug tracker for MC, MCPE and Scrolls) and did a lot of bug fixing).

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Fortis posted:

What I know for sure is that on August 29th, Grum tweeted:

I'm pretty sure that referred to a 1.7 change. CovertJaguar bitched about it and everything, but I can't find that right now. Maybe it was in reply to the tweet, though.

No you are correct, that is for 1.7, that was posted a little before the first 1.7 snapshot.

On their main blog post for 1.7.1 it states "It feels like we’ve been working on this for a year now, with more than half a million lines of code changed over 1,104 commits we’ve been working extremely hard on this update".

1.7 has beat the poo poo out of the code. Let us ignore that a good part of the lighting and rendering engine was rewritten from scratch, but the netcode (now using Netty) and the sound engine (what little of one there was, hey now they have actual sound events!) being completely rewritten from scratch, a huge deal of the game was tinkered around with in what the devs heavily pushed as "prep work for API integration", a lot of this also had the side benefit of making command blocks loving insane in what they are able to pull off.

So yeah, 1.7 might just be the largest hurdle modders will have had to get over, however the game so very much needed these improvements, clean ups and rewrites.

I got a strong feeling that a lot of mods that were on the verge of being in the graveyard are going to be firmly put into the ground if they haven't updated by now.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 24, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Shukaro posted:

Yeah, this will be the largest mod culling yet. RIP old mods.

Hey, maybe people will finally accept that RP2 is gone. :v:

VVVV
You jest (I think..), but I still know people who literally refuse to upgrade MC b/c they do not want to lose RP2 despite the fact that there are such better alternatives.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 24, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

KingLemming posted:

Figure I should respond to this, just so we're clear about TE specifically. (I'm aware you didn't call me out or anything, I'd just like to derail this train early.) What happened this summer is that TE was in the middle of a huge rewrite when 1.6 decided to drop, and then life flipped upside down. We'll be releasing for 1.6, and then porting to 1.7. In regard to the one "huge" commit, that was them internally refactoring the "Tile" class to the "Block" class - something MCP has done for a long time already. They may have renamed "TileEntity" to "BlockEntity" as well. These change tremendous amounts of code, but have relatively little impact.

Basically, I wouldn't expect this to be as horrible as 1.2.5 was. Give mods a month after Forge updates. 1.6 was also likewise some fairly minor changes; some of us just got caught off guard with the timing.

See, this is what I was suspecting, there has just been a few, very loud, modders who have been making 1.7 out to be the end of the world for modding. Then there is the second group, like yourself, who down play it a lot more and say that the patch is more or less reasonable to deal with and that a lot of the changes are welcome. Hard to get a good feel on an update since I myself do not mod MC, good to hear this from one of the more level headed and professional types in the community.

Honestly, one of the things I am most excited for is that they are moving away from static IDs, I know they are technically still there in 1.7 (you can call Minecraft:Stone or ID 1:0 and both will be accepted in 1.7), purely to give modders time to prepare for this change, but goddamn did this need to be done a long time ago.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

wargames posted:

What is netty because any improvement to the netcode can only be good.

They explain it better than I would:
This is their webpage, this is their Github.

Their core dev is Norman Maurer, who helped the MC dev team.

Netty is a very good choice, Spiggot (the more or less server performance oriented version of bukkit) uses Netty.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Bwahaha, so the Minecon stream is up right now and its about 20 min into the panel being run by several popular modders (3 hours in on the youtube stream) and this little poo poo with a video recorder pops up and asks why they insist on having Forge break 3rd party launchers and how many of them have autism with the biggest smirk I've ever seen. God Minecon is magical sometimes. :allears:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Taffer posted:

Oh god it's all so painful. :psyduck:

Who are the modders in the panel anyway? Only one I can tell by the voice is direwolf.

I believe it was (from left to right on the panel), the panel host who I couldn't understand since he was eating his mic at the beginning, Pahimar, Lex Manos, CPW, Dan200, Direwolf (oh god, he is so old looking), Benimatic, and two guys who do server side mods.

One of them gives Hexxit a shout out, that was kind of cool. :v:

Edit:

Oh my god these music videos in-between panels are loving horrendous, they had this one playing a moment ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2AMIJ_Albo

Enzer fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 2, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Taffer posted:

Was pahimar the gigantic one with the world record neckbeard?

The giant with the massive neckbeard was Lex Manos. Pahimar is the guy with the short hair and glasses to that dues right (our left), the guy on the other side of Lex is CPW and the guy with the creepy beady eyes is Dan200, followed by Direwolf and Benimatic plus two other guys I've never heard of (maybe they are bukkit plugin writers?).

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
The next panel (the 3:00PM EDT one) is about to start, this is kind of the important one since its the devs talking about what they are doing with the game in the future. If they talk about the Plugin API at all this year it will be in this panel news on the API confirmed for this Panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPSVJHVL6TA

Holy poo poo Mojang hired Searge (founder of the Minecraft Coder Pack) to work on MC. Searge's main duties will be helping Grum with the development of the API which they are shooting to release next year. They also hired and some guy called Ryan Holtz who is from Bat Country Entertainment and does work as a scaleform rendering engineer to do further work on their render engine.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 2, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

I think that right there was my favorite moment this Minecon. Almost as good as when Notch told one of the Yogscast guys that he hosed their mother in an interview right before causing a huge shitstorm when he bitched about how they used foul language. :allears:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

fondue posted:

Forge requires MCP, which is Searge, whom has just been hired by Mojang. No idea how this will affect the update to MCP.

MCP and thus Forge is dead until sometime next year when the API is out. :unsmigghh:

But no, if anything this might just speed up how fast MCP is made. From the sound of it from his twitter, he is still working on the 1.7 version at least. So assuming his employment contract allows him to, he might be able to produce MCP still, while having inside knowledge of what the code base actually is. As long as its the obfuscated code he is working with on that side of things. I don't know, sounds like a legal nightmare, he's prob just going to fully hand it off to someone, is it just him who works on it?

I wonder if Mojang still enforces their "Have to live in Sweden and work in our office" rule or what, they've made everyone from Dinnerbone to loving MinecraftChick move there so far.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 3, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wex07eUbcxA

Huh, so it breaks it down into their components, wonder if it can do the opposite and merge them together again.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

tooterfish posted:

Surely it can't be both at the same time though?

Only when it is not being observed.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

PiCroft posted:

Whats wrong with direwolf?

Common complaints seem to be:

1) Annoying voice.
2) Annoying catch phrases used in every video.
3) Doesn't rehearse or rehearses badly, often stumbling over explaining poo poo, or hasn't bothered to fully read up on something so gets confused when something isn't working/gives out bad information.
4) Drama around his position in the MC community.
5) Is more long winded than my own forum posts.

I personally cannot stand him because he is the type of person I just want to grab by the shoulders, shake really hard, and scream "GET ON WITH IT!" at. :v:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So I just posted this in the main MC thread, but I think it deserves as much coverage it can get.

This is a PSA for those who use Sphax and happen to use the installer for it (I don't know why you would ever need to use this, but whatever its on their main website and its an issue) but apparently the installer linked on their homepage doesn't do anything but install a poo poo ton of malware and bloatware (ConnectSo Toolbar, Search Protect, Wajam and View Password). Apparently it is also a very aggressive installer too, refusing to let you cancel out once it has started, forcing you to go into task manager to get rid of it. The file will read as clean by most scanners because the initial installer actually downloads a secondary installer which immediately runs during installation. Fun poo poo!

Edit:

Ahahaha.

Sphax's Webpage posted:

My Anti-Virus warn me about a malware. Is it risky?

Not risky at all.

The installer can be detected as a Trojan or a Malware by some Anti-virus. This is a false positive due to the fact that the installer can download sponsored apps. All the sponsored apps are optional and, if installed, can be easily uninstalled (with "Uninstall a program" option in Windows).

All of our programs are free of spyware, malware, trojans and viruses.
BDcraft.net will NEVER intentionally install any virus or trojan on your computer.

This is funny since over at the MCF they are saying this is not the case at all. :v:

Enzer fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 17, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Magmarashi posted:

The hell would anyone need an installer for a resource pack? You just put it in the proper folder and that's it, are people so drat lazy even THAT has to be reduced to a button press?

Everything has to be as simple and as idiot proof as possible, didn't you get the memo? :v:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Inepta Lacerta posted:

MCPatcher works for 1.7.2, if that's a workable alternative for you? (Never gone the Magic Launcher route, so no idea if that's compatible.)

Edit:

Aye, I've dropped Optifine in favor of MCPatcher for now, though I think there's still a few things it adds even to 1.7.2 that vanilla doesn't have (I'm sticking to 1.6.4 still, can't live without 'em mods.), but I will be quite happy the day I can entirely drop that one too.
vvvvvv

MCpatcher also does a lot of the CTM and what not a lot better than Optifine (does Optifine even support CIT?), SMP had some comparison images of his Revival pack when loaded with MCpatcher and Optifine and the difference is pretty big.

Also has anyone brought up the oddly named Jabba mod? Seems like a pretty neat alternative for barrels, though holy poo poo "two years in the making" seems a bit extreme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlcHuaoj7-w

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

m2pt5 posted:

(Now if there were a way to label DSUs without taking up the block in front of them that would make them even more awesome.)

Something I would like to see for this would be like how vanilla item frames work now when you put a named item in them:

Where mousing over it would display the contents in a text box floating over the DSU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

fondue posted:

http://dl.bukkit.org/downloads/craftbukkit/view/02393_1.7.2-R0.1/ Bukkit for 1.7.2 was just released.

god drat phone editing ....

As a note, it still is a development build, so be warned on that:

EvilSeph posted:

The 1.7.2 Craftbukkit development build is provided AS IS and COMPLETELY UNSUPPORTED. You should only be running these builds if you are completely aware of how to properly make use of them. Support requests of ANY KIND will be removed without warning. If you have to ask where or how to get the development build, you should NOT be running it and posts of that nature will be deleted.

Will plugins break with this build?
Minecraft 1.7 is one of the most involved updates to date, with Mojang having touched a reported ~220k+ lines of code. As a result, a significant amount of the code base has shifted making it difficult to ensure any stability with regards to our API. That being said, it is difficult to determine if plugins will be breaking with our 1.7.2 update and the state of the API in our earlier development builds should NOT be relied upon in any way.

• Locked thread