Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Before i was quietly swayed away from it, Machinemuse gave me these resources for my ideas:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pahimar?feature=watch

http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Generic_Mod

http://www.scala-lang.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XuTVfjRTtE

I make no claimes as to if she ever used said resources or would suggest them now, but here we go anyway. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Mentioned on the Technic IRC yesterday, apparently Ars Magica stopped with the bullshit exclusive modpack nonsense.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1486184-ars-magica-v552013-updated-june-8/

quote:

So here's the deal. You want Ars Magica in your mod pack? All you need to meet are three simple conditions:
Your mod pack needs a link back to this forum post
You cannot make any money off of the mod pack
You cannot claim that you made any part of the mod, and you must give credit to the author of the mod (Mithion)
If these three conditions are met, then you have my permission to use it in a mod pack. Have fun!

:shrug: It sounds like hes pulling the same thing Azanor did with TC2, "Now that i'm working on the next one, anyone can have this one." Still, its a thing if anything is. Could be a fun thing to shove into Hexxit. :3:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
So, while tinkering with Hexxit and googling Millinaire, i found a mod.

http://satscape.wordpress.com/sim-u-kraft/

Edit: Another link http://sim-u-kraft.wikispaces.com/Sim-U-Home

Its interesting, i've yet to find any shithole heap that drags it down into obscurity, the pathing is decent and the npc's simply teleport after awhile if they really cant reach it. Plus there is some cross-building interactions and some lines of supply. I've not played that much of it but it seems to have potential.

Gonna try playing some of it legit, right after i finish skyrim. :v:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 31, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

dijon du jour posted:

Medium answer: as long as the mod author doesn't seem outwardly pervy and there's no jiggle physics, I'm not too concerned about it.

:golfclap: Well put. Not going to lie tho, it makes the models look loving terrible. It might have some reasoning found in that people raise children (according to the webpage, not that far into it currently) but Millinaire manages that without distorting the MC player skin that horribly.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

You will be able to get e-married to your favorite sim and her bolt ons in that mod. I'd say the mod is getting there on the creepy quotient.

Nope. You cant marry them, they mingle with each other. You're just the rear end in a top hat boss/landlord. Collecting rent and paying them for their contribution to your blocks. Edit2: Well gently caress, KoL has ruined everything by reading, how dare he.

Edit: having said this, Millinaire really is the way to go with this poo poo, because its just, too, weird.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 1, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I said you will be able to, not that you can. I know reading is hard, but seriously at least try.

Gods drat it man you know i dont read, im english!

Yeah this mod just veered into creepy. I actually like it enough to want to tell tell the guy to not be such a goon, in a polite way. Maybe it'll even work! :unsmith: Using facebook as a gathering ground for feedback is loving terrible.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 1, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I decided to give him some feedback on that on... ugh... facebook.

Oh! A reply:

quote:

I'd agree with you on the player marrying the NPCs too and shelved that idea, I was going to add it to the last update, but as you've mentioned, it either wouldn't work, or would be very hard to implement, just way too many variables! I think it's better for the player to lead the community, rather than play as one of them.

I disagree with the boobs issue though, I write this mod with sense of fun and playfulness, not serious at all, and I think they are a fun addition, not something people are expecting to see. Two mothers I know who play along with their kids have mentioned they have no problems with them, and so far only yourself and one other person has an issue. I think most of the skins fit just nice, the texture is shifted so that the top half of the dress is duplicated, so the main body texture isn't distorted. There's a recent addition of the pregnancy bump, that too seems to work well with most skin textures, and again, it's a fun addition to the characters that AFAIK hasn't been done in any other mod.
Thanks for your input.

I politely told him that marrying the npc's would lead to headaches (What if the player is a woman wanting to marry a man? Didn't touch the topic of homosexuality) and that the boobs are horrible due to how badly it looks.

Well, half a victory is still a victory i guess? :v:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

metasynthetic posted:

Oh hey, a thing:

Now make another with lasers so we can have NOD laser fences. :getin:

Seriously tho, thats pretty cool, does it/will it draw on some kind of energy?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

metasynthetic posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, the home of the future:

Im a sucker for the light-bridge myself. And what fun people could have with that and adventure stuff. :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Arrath posted:

First, the lightbridge/wall mod looks awesome. I love that they just take vanilla items to craft (so, 8 diamonds and a nether star? :v:)

Secondly, the what? Apparently I haven't Been keeping up with TC

8 Wither Skeletons Heads around a diamond block. :getin:

And yeah, me neither on the TC thing, is that new?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Sage Grimm posted:

Quick question for the Tekkit maintainers, is there any chance of it getting updated to the latest mod versions? I'd *really* love to burn lasers into the core of the world for rare ores (to the point where I've built the platform).

If not, no big deal. The structure still looks pretty sweet.

Unless i'm misunderstanding you, backup your save then manually pick the newest tekkit version, using the cog icon under the pack on the pack select.

That'll update the pack and give you laserbeams to work with. :hellyeah:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Oh my fukkin god, i want to make a crazy hell base with this. :swoon:

I know i wont, because gently caress pigmen cluttering up everywhere, but its just awesome.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
http://imgur.com/a/4fZyw

My laser drill might not be getting much use, but it was an excuse to make a silly looking sci-fi prop out of it.

And i love it. :haw:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

:stare: They are adapting. :ohdear:

Seriously, whats causing this kind of doom stack? Glad i have a railgun because that combos just nasty if all you had was melee.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

So after getting rid of the silly fusion reactor design that was pegging the server at 20ms/tick (average is usually around 8), and switching entirely to big reactors, this is the result:

Seeing this makes me want to build this:

Maybe when Big Reactors is closer to release and i start again on a tech world/modpack. :3:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

fondue posted:

New game mechanics for wands in 3.1 Thaumcraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AW-f8rq8JQ

That seems a heck of alot more interesting at least. Hope its not too tedious to... Ugh, "Recharge" your wand every time you want to use it. :v:

Theres just no way of talking about wands without it sounding somewhat lewd.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Well i can safely say im done with tech blocks again for awhile, beekeeping kinda took the wind out of my sails.

I can see why the various goons have advised me off it. Jesus gently caress it took way more effort then reward to get pollen and royal jelly for the bigger beehives. And i was not against mild cheating, AND i had the help of thaumic tinkerers transmuter, AND i was on easy mode because how much seed oil got kicked in the head is loving pathetic...

:suicide:

I'll admit the bee swarms when they are working, the butterflies flying around them and the ever expanding field of flowers around the hives is a cute touch 'tho. Ambience is always nice.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 12, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Fortis posted:

Does anyone know how to get a listing of Entity IDs for a given mod configuration? I'm messing around with MATmos in Hexxit for fun and want to have boss music. This is easy enough for the Ender Dragon and Wither, who have known static Entity IDs, but the Better Dungeons mobs and Twilight Forest bosses are eluding me. It seems like their Entity IDs might be dynamic, and set only when the mods are loaded, but I really don't know. As far as I can tell, NEI can only dump block and item IDs, while Entity IDs remain entirely obscure.

Let me know how you get along with MATmos, after installing it, it kept causing crash to desktop's for me with zero heads up. I think it was related to rainfall starting but you cant ever be sure. :v:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

wylker posted:

The issue isnt' what mod they come from. The issue is in how Mo Creatures globally changes how mobs spawn.

On a side note, here is a video about OpenBlocks, a cool mod made by Mikee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbCxjv9NozM

"Or a 9 by 9, if your into that." Heh.

Seems like a nice mod, REALLY liking that tank, 'specially how it balances out. The hang-glider and elevator are something neat too. :haw:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Judging by IRC, its a "Don't call us, we'll call you."

quote:

Topic is: http://www.technicpack.net/ | (Stuff) | No hard ETA on 1.6.2 support, work is in progress
[21:16] ->> Topic set by Olloth on 13/08/2013 20:39:57

... Mojang really hosed it up this time. :sigh: O'well, i hope it's good long term.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Demon_Corsair posted:

I am coming back to minecraft after not playing it for a long time, where should I start? The only mod I have used in the past was the golden helmet to prevent drowning/burning.

http://www.technicpack.net/download

Here you go, download and pick either: Tekkit (Technology + ambitious building projects) or Hexxit (Adventure + Magic)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Anyone else worried about what is going to happen to TE now that King Lemming is no longer involved?

I can't wait for redstone energy cells to need nether stars.

Wow, er, What? I totally missed this happening. :stare: Could you elaborate?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
It'll spin up again, 1.2.5 was pretty brutal as well if i understand it correctly?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I'd like the mini-golems and bigger golem to be a boss encounter, possibly something in the vein of the goblin army of Terraria. Craft item, spawn bigger golem + its core, big golem spawns smaller golems. Beat for prizes.

But them and the ogres can just gently caress right off as normal monsters. :frogout:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I couldn't agree more with both of you. I save that kind of shenanigans for multiplayer servers where its less of a kick in the bollocks.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Taffer posted:

Have you ever played a heavily modded game before? This is how they always are. Accept it. The only exception is when the community is tiny and only a couple generous people are modding. With a big audience you'll always have shitlords and manchildren.

Counterpoint: The X-Universe modding community is rather pleasant last time i checked (X-3, prelude) them out.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

DigiDigi posted:

I made a different sort of power armor. For those fond of FF6:

It mostly just burns things.
1.5.2 Download (Make backups.)

Motherfu-... I've wanted Mech's in MC forever. :allears: Sworn off this silly block game for a few months 'tho, so i hope you keep at it!
Make a mining one, cmon you know you wanna. :getin:

So is it possible to make "mounts" that replace your current equipment with a set of abilities that they own? I figured that would be the hardest part in making Mech's in MC. That at best have to "craft" your guns and hold them in your hand not get them depending on the model of robot your climbing into.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Just wanna say thanks Olloth and crew for the work you put in for my blocks. :3:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Sage Grimm posted:

It's not enough that you can store several hundred thousand blocks of various things in two blocks anymore for Applied Energistics. Now you can take entire chunks.

This could be used to construct megaprojects so easily! Copy/Paste everything! :haw:

On the topic of Thaumcraft 4, i've been writing all of the currently discovered aspects into a list because the books abit fiddly to get into when your on the table. Posting it here if anyone wants to add to the list, but please keep it behind a spoiler for anyone who wants the mystery preserved, such as me. :allears:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hyZewrx-rXsexLBk02pTdmnC4PIsHIATQga8KAML6Dc/edit?usp=sharing

Expect millions of typos, its read-only so no one sneaks in a spoiler. :3:

This research system feels like a better way of doing it. Effort without consuming vast quantities of resources and encouraging you to explore the world for nodes. Bet its still going to be a pain in the arse for replay's 'tho.

Edit: Am i missing something here?

In the end i had to research another Thamium puzzle page because that setup and another seems impossible. Seems like the random discovery pages you get from carrying around paper and scribes tools are more difficult to beat. :raise:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 8, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Thaumcraft 4 Trip Report: Deconstruction Table, while frustrating to have to sit here waiting, i have found a few items that seem solid.

Wheat seems king so far for everything but ignis. Coal/Charcoal should fix that but uncertain as test run seemed dry. Torches are a cheap alternative but the chance seems much lower. Another possibility is Netherwart but i dont have the mass production of it setup. :science:

I am loving awful at the research minigame. :smith:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 8, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
This is possibly inane, but i really wish there was a mod that let me broadcast jukebox/disk music with broadcasting towers (or whatever they are called) via wiring.

Setting up a set of towers around my base and wiring it up to a jukebox to play over a wide area while meandering around appeals to me. :shobon:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Turtlicious posted:

You guys realize Minecraft has been released in C++ for about 3 years now right?

http://minetest.net/

And this is why i dont have much hope in an alternative, better written "Minecraft". Like Wow, i expect MC will sit at the top of its genre until replaced by "Minecraft 2" and no amount of better written code or gameplay will topple that.

Its not to say it cant spawn an alternative choice, but i cant imagine we'd see a similar modding community grow around it.

But, you know, Terraria, Starbound. I'm sure theres plenty of other examples and i really want to be proven wrong in this case as a less lovely minecraft with greater modding flexibility would be wonderful. :3:

VVV Oh. Well that clears up everything.

It cleared up nothing, im still confused

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 14, 2013

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
So uh, archimedes ships?

Archimedes's Ships :allears:

I am grinning so hard right now. The non-vanilla stuff needs to be packed away when its done i think, but this? This is loving awesome.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Good to see this idea of yours (if it is that idea im thinking of) wasn't left for dead. :haw:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Lizard Wizard posted:

Are you sure about that? I read that it just has some vanilla blocks it makes sure not to absorb into the ship entity, so I'm under the impression that non-vanilla blocks would go on just fine since those aren't on the list of things not to grab.

EDIT: Surely you can test it with something like marble?

I went back and tested this just now, turns out that yes, thuamcraft stuff stays connected!

Too bad its not playing nice on multiplayer. :smith:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
As there has been some grumbling about it, I present to the humble readers of the thread:

THAUMCRAFT 4: A NON-YOUTUBE GUIDE* *Youtube used sparingly for one example.

I should preface this guild by saying that screaming "RTFM" at goons until the point was made might have been equally effective, but it would have been much ruder.
I'm attempting to distil the aspects (heh) of Thaumcraft 4 into a smaller one course meal to help my fellow thaumaturgists get started and not flip when they try the research out for the first time, as it can be hugely frustrating.

To do this, i need to cover the basics of everything, "Read The F'in Manual" for more in-depth details about all the things im covering.

BIOMES & CREATURES:

Angry Zombie, Furious Zombie

Angry Zombies are stronger, faster and hardier then their usual kin. Killing them has a chance to drop a brain.

Dont worry, its useful later.

Furious Zombies sometimes spawn from Monoliths:

Bigger, meaner and stronger still. While im not certain, i believe they get stronger (and bigger) when taking damage and calm down when they dont.

Magical Forest

Silverwoods, Greatwoods and Nodes aplenty. This biome leans towards purity and order. It has a higher chance for Order Infused Rock, Pure nodes and spawns "Wisps".

"Wisps"

Flying balls of light that attack with lightning from afar. Will wreck your poo poo unless you bring some kind of ranged weapons or can catch them in melee. They drop a slightly randomized Ethereal Essence, which, like the brains, will be useful later.

Tainted Land

Taintacles, Spider Swarms and Corruptive growths aplenty! This biome naturally spawns and it is assumed that it can be created as a consequence of "Fun". It leans towards Corruption and Entropy and has a higher chance for Entropic Infused Rock, Tainted nodes and spawns Tainted Wildlife.

Taint Wildlife

Taint houses its own unique creatures and interacts with the natives in several ways. I wont list everything it does here for the sake of "Fun" but long short, expect everything thats purple to be improved in some deadly way and considerably aggressive.

A worthwhile note, the drops from such monsters decay in your bags, if you plan to harness them in their aspect form, bring the tools to distil with you to a taint biome and do it on site.

FOLIAGE & NODES:

Cinderpearl, punch it to get blaze powder.

Greatwood Trees, chop it to get a reasonably good source of magic, a better wand core and some nifty looking logs and planks.

Silverwood Trees, chop it to get... ah you've heard this song already. This bits the interesting one:

That black spot? Contains a magical node. We'll get to that soon.

Shimmerleaf, punch it to get quicksilver. :siren: Snip it with Shears for a source of Permutatio! :siren: Used in a recipe to combat the taint.

Nodes, a big deal in Thuamcraft 4. I'm going to ask you to read the Thaumonomicon's entry on it to get a better picture, the long short:

Scan them with the Thaumometer, You can always scan new nodes, more on this later.

You recharge your wand at them. You will hurt the node if you drain it entirely, equally the lovely iron/wood wand cant restrain itself so it can still drain the node entirely even after you understand how to avoid that automatically.

Nodes come in many flavours, from pure to bright, hungry to fading. The type does matter, but how it matters is something i've not entirely explored yet.
Keep an eye out for Hungry nodes 'tho, they are Fun! :unsmigghh: And when one of you figures out how to harness one safely, post about it.

Worth noting:

Nodes are barely visible without the equipment to see them, and when you do get that:

... You can see them through objects.

Now let me take a moment and stress something key.

You are going to be finding and seeking many nodes for two reasons. Recharging your wand, and Researching the aspects contained within. Thaumcraft 4's research has its own internal resources that its a glutton for, but instead of eating your reserves until you break and install buildcraft, it now feeds upon something uniquely challenging to get, something that encourages exploration of the world.

Nodes can be found above and below ground, in the nether and the twilight forest. None are found in The End. Thats the scope of my experience so far with them.

GETTING STARTED, BASIC ITEMS & BLOCKS

Thaumcraft 4 has some entry requirements we've come to love. Get yourself some food, sugar cane and diamonds before you break the surface. While you're after diamonds, you are going to need these:

The various ore. TC3 vets, you might be pleased to discover that Order shards have replaced depleted ones, and a new flavour has arrived in Entropy, bringing us upto 6. Earth, Air, Order, Water, Fire and Entropy. The spawning of shards is slightly tied to the biome you are in, in such that an ocean biome is more seeded with water shards, but all of them spawn everywhere.

Also to boot, you can now craft the crystals in a table with no fuss and breaking them reverts them to shard form. This'll be handy later.

Cinnabar ore is smelted into Quicksilver, Amber infused Rock breaks into one chunk of amber. Both have some token usages currently. I expect this will be expanded upon.

Now then, to get started:

I wont be showing every recipe, NEI and the book will help you with the rest.

Right click it with the wand, doesn't need a charge yet.

Presto! Its worth pointing out my TC4 UI is in the bottom left because of a config option, its normally in the top left. You can change that in the config folder.

Make a table, place it, and right click. This is important for your early magical crafting.

Wand always goes into that slot when you're crafting magically. More later.

Crucibles are the same, a right click on a cauldron in this case.

Get a chimney for your crucible, Fun things will happen while wizarding and this will help with it. Also its awesome to have an excuse to build your lab properly. :getin:

UNDERSTANDING A THAUMIC WORLD:

Remember that bit about nodes, research resources and exploring the world? Lets cover that in more detail now. Last time im doing this "show people how to make things", deal.

Right Click in the corner of the left desk.

Page 5 of the Thaumonomicon's entry on research explains it in depth, (Basic Information > Research tab), give it a read after this. Ill go into more detail in the next section as i feel you are not ready just because you have a table, but you can prepare for it now.

Crystal Clusters give you a small "Income" of an aspect, i have yet to experience it firsthand, but if i understand people correctly it either A) Gives you a very small income or B) Always keeps you at 1 of each Primal aspect. Put 'em near your desk.

Give the table a right click, and now the primal aspects should be all sparkly.

Look into your Thaumonomicon, Artifice tab, Thaumometer. Make one when you have the shards.

With this thing, go scan the following items by holding right click (or shift right click):

Bedrock, water, lava, sand, sandstone, cobblestone, Stone Brick, Chisiled Stone Brick and a Torch.

Items on the floor can sometimes be different from their placed form, but are often the same.

Now go try to scan grass.

See how its saying in the corner that you're too dumb to understand grass? Check your book again, Basic Information > Aspects of Magic. Give it a read. See how we understand a limited number of Compound aspects, but all of the Primals? Lets fix that ignorance alittle bit.

Grass has the following aspects:

Grass = Terra 1 - Herba 1

Herba? Lets find out what that is:

Herba = Granum + Terra

Granum? This shits getting complex.

Granium = Victus + Terra

Victus = Aqua + Terra

AH! Heres something we understand, Victus is a compound of Aqua and Terra, we understand these!

Go back to the research table and start combining aspects:

gently caress you grass, ill show you whos smart.

:smugdog:

And thats the big headache of this new research system. You will bang your head against this wall until you hit the chokepoints and unlock a whole slew of new things to look at, since this guide aims to help speed you along but not do it for you, heres a few discoveries you should make:
Lux = Aer + Ignis
Motus = Aer + Ordo
Potentia = Ordo + ignis
Vacuos = Aer + Perditio
Victus = Aqua + Terra

And then do these:

Praecantatio = Vacuos + Potentia
Mortuus = Victus + Perditio
Spiritus = Victus + Mortuus
Sensus = Aer + Spiritus

These are not as key, but easily done:
Gelum = Aqua + Ordo
Saxum = Terra + Terra
Tempestas = Aer + Aqua

This should be a solid foundation, alongside Herba, to start examining the world.

Okay, i mentioned this earlier with nodes, but this is a dealbreaker so i'll say it again: Every node can be examined the one time, every other object, monster and block can be examined once. This means nodes exist to unfuck you if you get in a corner.

But some nodes are also more complex! So, be prepared to travel and study everything you can, then do it again when you hit EUREKA! moments. :science:

Carrying Paper and Scribes Tools with you while studying things can cause you to spontaneously create a research paper, ill cover this more below but its worth remembering since its free prizes for looking at things.

My source for all this is handy if you just want to outright gently caress the rules:

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/thaumcraft-4-research-cheat-sheet-4-0-2a-for-1-6-2-1-6-4.32560/

Yes, yes its FTB's forums, im sure you'll be alright.

AND RESEARCHING IT:

Okay, the other, slightly smaller bugbear in the room: Research. The Thaumonomicon does a good job of covering the topic but not in an entirely friendly manner, ill try to do better, but its going to take a youtube link or maybe a kind, gif making goon.

Lets research Nitor:

I got it from examining Lux, you might get a different discovery when you try. Whoo boy, theres alot going on there huh? All of the time, when you make a new discovery, whatever discovered it will unlock the first runes:

See how that rune under the spot is glowing? Means its the one we're after. This minigame gets easier when you complete certain research, but right now we need to deactivate that rune and move it. To do so, i need to make more Lux (Aer + Ignis)

You can move any inert rune, (and with research, active ones) a number of spaces, i have cleared a path and moved the formerly glowing rune to the right spot, lets flip the switch on Lux again.

Mission Accomplished, take it out of the bench, eat it and;

This youtuber is not awful, and he might be able to explain it better with moving video then i can with pictures, give it a look if i lost you during all that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MLPqfmsHjs

And now to drop the bomb:

It is entirely possible, and unlucky, to get a research pattern that cannot be completed.

If you feel you have been screwed, remove the research and try again with a fresh one. I have no idea why this is a feature (if it is) but on the flip side, you can end up getting research that instantly completes with one try. I assume its a design flaw, but i also remember Thuamcraft 2.

CRAFTING YOUR FIRST ITEM:

Lets make some Nitor, it needs 3 Lux, 3 Ignis and 3 Potentia. Coal(charcoal) has 2 Ignis and Potentia per peice, torches have 1 lux. So 3 torches and 2 bits of coal.

Heat up your crucible, Lava, Nitor and fire will do the trick, i have a special tip after the presentation class!

Throw in the aspect items first, NOT the catalyst, thats whatever item is being shown with a downwards arrow into the cauldron.

Then throw in the catalyst:

Aspects break down when the crucible is hot (by order of what aspects made them, then whatever made them, all the way down to the primals), i've put on some goggles to demonstrate this:

But if you remove the heat, they wont decay, giving you a chance to either safely remove the aspects (a shift click with a wand) or use them later.

Reckless usage can result in Fun.

Ah what a mess. Cleanup in the Thuamic Lab!

UPDATE:

DECONSTRUCTION TABLE:

This table helps to avoid primal aspect starvation when researching. The item placed within is broken down, based upon its aspect complexity, into one of the primal aspects that make up the compound aspects that the item contains.

Still following me? Alright, Wheat is really good in my experience. Its made up of 1 Fames & 2 Messis.

Fames is Victus and Vacuous, Messis is Granum and Humanus.
Victus is Aqua & Terra, Vacuous is Aer & Perditio, Messis is Victus (+1 Aqua and Terra) and Terra, Humanus is Bestia and Cognitio.
Bestia is Motus and Victus(+1 Aqua and Terra), Cognitio is Terra and Spiritus
Motus is Aer and Ordo, Spiritus is Victus (+1 Aqua and Terra) and Mortuus.
Mortuus is Victus (+1 Aqua and Terra) and Perditio

Thus, Wheat is: 5 Aqua, 7 Terra, 2 Aer, 1 Ordo and 2 Perditio.

I've yet to find an equally amazing and easily made version for Ignis, but Charcoal seems good, as it boils down to 4 Ignis and 2 Ordo.

In order to reach the Table, research the following:

Research Expertise, requires Cognito - Sensus
Research Mastery, requires Cognito - Motus - Sensus
Deconstruction Table, requires Cognito - Fabrico - Perditio

Fabrico has a long string of discoveries, they are as follows:

Fabrico = Humanus + Instrumentum
Humanus = Bestia + Cognito
Bestia = Motus + Victus
Cognito = Terra + Spiritus

Instrumentum = Humanus + Metallum (EDIT: CHANGED TO HUMANUS + ORDO IN THAUMCRAFT 4.1)
Metallum = Saxum + Ordo

You'll need a spare Thaumometer.

Throw in the items you want to break down, wait and click reward when it cooks. This thing is a low chance so only use it when you need too.

EASY WIN SCANNABLES:

Lux = Torch
Motus = None really, research it.
Potentia = Coal/Charcoal
Vacuos = Bowl, Glass Phial
Victus = None(?), Research it.
Praecantatio (Requires Vacuos + Potentia understanding) = Chiseled Sandstone, Moss Stone.
Mortuus = None really, research it.
Spiritus = None really, research it.
Sensus (Requires: Spiritus understanding) = Lapis Lazuli Ore/Block, Flowers (Red/Yellow).
Gelum = Snow Block, Snowball, Snow, Ice.
Saxum = Stone, Cobblestone.
Tempestas = None.

CLOSING:

Hopefully i unsnarled some of the research confusion surrounding TC4. Heres a recap of useful resources:

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/thaumcraft-4-research-cheat-sheet-4-0-2a-for-1-6-2-1-6-4.32560/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbOwCkyoVrY

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 21, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Zebrin posted:

drat. That is a pretty good beginners guide. Not terribly in depth, but enough to start at least.

I don't mind Thaumcraft, it is just that research tends to be a giant bloat... Hopefully the new minigame version is better then the throw stacks of sticks at the problem version from TC2. Or the click till your mouse breaks from TC3.

It does fix both, but it creates a new issue of "You cant understand that." which is teeth grindingly frustrating.

Some updates i will do later: Deconstruction Table and scanning some early items to bypass making them in the table. Then ill call it a done deal.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I updated to include a hugely spergy bit about the Deconstruction table, and a list of easy win scannables.

I'm done, hope it helps. :3: If anyone can do me a gif of the research minigame (from start to finish) i'd be thankful since it removes the need for a youtube video.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Good news! Thaumcraft 4.0.3 fixed that and its fresh out of the oven.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
No pipes, but you distil it in a pretty great way, by boiling materials in an arcane furnace and using alembics to distil it with a slow, steady drip into arcane jars.

As a lover of Thaumcraft 2, its a nice thing to have. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

TheDK posted:

Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for, thanks to you both.

When you get settled in, read this:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561897&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=37#post420704091

Might help you over any speedbumps with thuamcraft 4

• Locked thread