Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I've not played Minecraft at all in a good while and I was wondering why the OP says that RedPower 2 is dead? I did a little googling and didnt see anything regarding this. Did Elo finally get tired of whiny babbys harassing her about why she didnt update faster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

thelightguy posted:

Yeah, MFR does it faster and better and with less ~mod drama~

Cool thanks. I see a lot has been added to MFR since I last played. Pretty cool.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I've just started playing minecraft again and fired up the Technic launcher and added Wylker's pack to it since I've been enjoying his LPs and I all I can say is that heatscar spiders (and their kids) can go right on ahead and gently caress themselves. Are their any good tutorials out their to help remind me of the stuff I've forgotten about thermal expansion, et al?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Izam posted:

Their wiki has the jist of everything currently available. Give it a skim and it'll slowly start to make sense as its actually a fairly small mod. Aside from scaling upwards with more furnaces and pulverizers, make sure to grab an omniwrench just before you're ready to start laying down liquiducts, energy conduits, and possibly logistics pipes for hassle free adjusting.

Thanks. It hasn't been _that_ long since I last played but it seems like things are changing fast these days. To manually add a mod to modpack do I still have to unpack the minecraft.jar and all that nonsense? Or is there an easier way now? I want to add the mods to Wylker's that he couldn't include.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Saxophone posted:

Is there a good 'getting started with toast' guide somewhere? There is just so much stuff going on that I have no clue where to start.

Seconded. Thanks for the recommendation on Tinkerer's construct Tsurupettan. I probably last played around Christmas or a little after and so many of these mods have improved or expanded I feel like I'm starting all over.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Ixjuvin posted:

Yo Wylker I keep trying to fire up your modpack but it just goes to a grey screen and hangs forever, whats the deal with this thing? I've heard it takes a while to load up but this is ridiculous.

Make sure you have it set to 2gb and check the permgen option thingy.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

kerpow posted:

I'm interested. What other mods are in it?

Anyone active late in CST on the server?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

metasynthetic posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, the home of the future:

Everything can be crafted with vanilla resources and I plan to leave it that way for the time being. I have 3 strengths of field emitter now, with max ranges of 4, 16, and 64 blocks. At half of max range, field strength increases 1 notch, from dirt to stone equivalent. No power required for these. Right now the fields emit light equal to a torch, though I'm considering turning it down slightly.

I can already tell the code is a heap of poo poo, but I at least want to get this part fully functional before I go about rewriting already. Things I want to do that I am not capable of yet: connected textures, multipass rendering, multiblock structures.

This looks really cool man. Nice work.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I really do like mo creatures but I feel like all I do is spend time dying and running back to get my stuff. I think Im too used to the vanilla mobs

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I've been using Wylker's LP modpack in the technic launcher. I keep getting heatscar spiders (and other supposed nether only mobs) spawning in the overworld. I dropped the newest versions of TC and NAtura into the mods folder which I thought would fix it. It didnt work. Then I tried using the mod options from in the game to stop them from spawning. THey are still spawning. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know. I hate those drat spiders, they are seriously eating into my enjoyment of the game.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Ixjuvin posted:

Mob spawning wise the Wylkerpack is megafucked in like six different ways; if there was any real way of dealing with the problem it would have been fixed on the real server by now. You just have to live with it, I'm afraid.

Well Im glad to know it's not just me. I wasnt aware that their were issues on the server as well. Probably because I'm way behind on the the LPs. I really do like the variety of creatures and stuff but I seriously feel like all I do spend all my time running away or back to my stuff. Maybe I should play Tekkit proper for a while.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

senae posted:

It's pretty simple to just remove the mo creatures and project zulu (I think those are the ones) archives from the zipped folder.

My favorite wylker modpack bug was the savanna biome near my home getting absolutely packed with animals, so it was an endless see of rhinos, elephants, and giraffes.

The heatscar spiders that I was bitching about are actually from Natura.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

wylker posted:

Unfortunately the next Wylkerpack (1.6) will no longer include MoC because its just too hard to make things work right. Maybe one day forge will give hooks for mod makers to have their mobs spawn in an intelligent fashion but until then I've sorta given up on it.

Maybe it will help my issue with heatscar spiders spawning in the over world. When do you anticipate releasing it?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

For you guys using Tinker's Construct, I was wondering what sort of tool combinations you like to make, especially early to mid-game?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

THanks for the answers. I'm debating whether its worth it to take the time to fashion an iron axe early using TC or just use vanilla crafting and get the pulverizer up and running asap. Good call on the paper though I have a ton already so I can start playing with TC.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Rutibex posted:

I just tested it and writable does indeed stack. An entirely paper pickaxe has 6 modifier slots; after adding a diamond to up the durability/mining level more than enough to make it super lucky/fast.

Yeah it only goes up to 3, but that leaves you two slots for Haste (after the diamond). It is quite a decent early pick for commonish materials and no smeltery required.

This is exactly the kind of little trick I was wondering about. Thanks again for the suggestions. It is super annoying that you have to build the smeltery just make iron tools in TC. I really like the mod but that one bit sticks in my craw.

I was reading somewhere (I hate to admit it but it was either the FTB official forums or sub-reddit) a question where someone asked if there was some kind of tech tree for FTB. Of course all the whiny babbys shot him down but I actually think its actually not a bad idea. Now a tech tree per se might be a little too complex due to the various inter-relationships between mods. I think the way to handle it is either: tech tree for each mod which is a lot of work or something simpler like a tier list. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? I'm thinking about maybe throwing up some kind of resource with the info but I'm just brainstorming ideas right now and just looking for input.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Rutibex posted:

I have wanted to do this for quite a while. My inspiration for a lot of the stuff I do in Minecraft mods is the old Diablo 2 mod pack Zy-El: Trial by fire (check it out it's way better than Easter Sun :v: http://www3.telus.net/zyel/). Zyel comes with a really nice 80 page PDF guide for all the hundreds of new features it has.

Several times I've started on making such a guide for modded Minecraft but inevitably there is a version change and one or more essential mods get dumped and several new mods come about. Modded Minecraft is in way too much of a state of flux to make writing a nice looking guide worth the time. In short order it would end up looking the the Ultima Online guide I picked up on release day: hilariously outdated. Until there is a modding API and we can be certain that mods won't just die with a version update I don't think it's worth the time.

I think a way to go until those changes come about is to stick to a core group of mods. I'm looking specifically at those that enable power generation since that is probably the place where most people new to tech mods get hung up. That limits it to a handful of mods that are relatively stable and makes it easier to update when things do change. Another way to do it is to divide and conquer. If you have enough interest from people you can just have people responsible for a single mod or a handful depending on how complex they are. This of course is heavily dependent on people's willingness and ability to contribute which might make it a no go.

In theory, do you think it would work better as a wiki or as a website that just serves up guides?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Rutibex posted:

There are a lot of power generation systems. If you are going to compare them which ones do you include in the guide? IC2/Gregtech? A lot of people don't use those; the community is kind of split. Buildcraft? UE? Forestry? TE? Dartcraft? MFR? These are only a few, there's dozens more and not every combination will be a part of every pack. You would have to focus on a specific pack if you are going to be making comparisons between the mods to put them into tiers or a progression; and in that case you should be putting your guide on that packs Wiki. It would be daunting and you would be at the whim of a dozen mod makers balances and the pack maker himself.

Honesty I think the whole power generation thing is a little pointless and out of hand. I've intentionally stripped out anything that has a power requirement from my personal Minecraft instance. There's just nothing interesting to do with all that power besides build even more complex machines....for generating more power. Yeah big power plants full of whirring machines and tanks full of myriad liquids look cool in screen shots, but they don't really do anything.

All good points. Might be better to just focus on a by-mod basis, it might just have to be small group of them. Again, this is all brainstorming.

Out of curiousity, could you go into your personal Minecraft instance, configs and such? I've about gotten to that point myself in terms of feeling like it's all a little pointless when you just just want to build cool systems/structures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

TFC intimidated the gently caress out of me, more than any tech or magic mod I've fiddled with. I'm down to at least give it a try with some others.

I'm definitely interested, but just be aware my time available is pretty limited.

• Locked thread