Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Pidmon posted:

You could actually have an excuse to use buildcraft quarries to empty out the ocean down to bedrock where you want to build?

Pretty much this. If you clear out a 300x300 area down to bedrock in the ocean, it should give you a good starting area, and then you can just quarry out additional space as needed.

I'm currently in the process of quarrying out the inside of a volcano for my next base which I will be building almost entirely using the filler. The bottom of the ocean seems like a good next project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

kerpow posted:

I installed this on a vanilla tekkit install and holy poo poo. This is the most amazing mod ever. It is much, much easier to use than Red Power frames and at least as powerful.

Any chance this will find its way into Toast Crunchy?

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

The Penitent Man posted:

I really enjoy this game.

Is there a beginners thread or something? I got Iron armor and then died horrifically in a shithole of lava.

This is the first game in an history of poo poo dl's from Steam and other that I actually come back to.

Help.

Your best bet is to look up some "Let's Play" videos on Youtube, visual instruction seems to work best for this game.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Shadowmorn posted:

http://imgur.com/a/4fZyw

My laser drill might not be getting much use, but it was an excuse to make a silly looking sci-fi prop out of it.

And i love it. :haw:

Jesus. It's almost the exact same thing I did: http://imgur.com/MWUhO3j

My inspiration was the mining apparatus from the new Star Trek reboot, the first film.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

I just finished personalizing Stark Tower, and thought I would share the vanity shot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Is there a reason you aren't using Applied Energistics instead of some (quite likely) overcomplicated mess of buildcraft pipes?

Not that it should matter; I'm just curious.

One of the stack traces points at ender tanks causing a problem, the other two point to either buildcraft or immibis microblocks depending on how you read it. Are you piping microblocks through buildcraft pipes?

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

drunkencarp posted:

My wife is of the opinion that AE is cheaty in a way that good honest gold and diamond pipe isn't. I'm 100% sure we weren't making microblocks, though we might have had a handful in a chest somewhere. And I don't *think* there were any ender tanks in our system, but I might be wrong about that. I guess we have one somewhere, if it's causing the troubles.

So putting around a hundred diamond pipes (set to filter in five directions each) all in one chunk just flat-out causes problems, is what I'm hearing?

AE is more expensive than BC pipes, and for good reason: it's far more useful. The extra cost offsets the added usefulness, and your server will thank you for not lagging up the joint.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

SugarAddict posted:

I think I may have a problem here.

Just like NASA, you may have to verify your exit vector is clear before launch :v:

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Cantorsdust posted:

I use Akliz, and they have wonderful support and an easy to use web interface.

As do I, dead-easy to setup and maintain, but it won't run Toast Crunchy unless you send a mail in to support to ask about getting the permgen size turned up.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

kerpow posted:

That squid thing is amazing. That has to be how I power my space station now :)

With the Quantum stuff in AE, you can even have your ink sacs available on your space station from your terrestrial squid farm.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Sunblood posted:

Thermal Expansion
Applied Energistics
RedNet cables from Minefactory Reloaded
Redstone in Motion
Artifice
Logistics Pipes

those five mods have replicated pretty much 100% of RedPower2 and they've all done it in a way that doesn't mutilate servers. I can't think of a single feature of RP2 that isn't in one of those mods.

Soul-crushing, server-melting lag.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

MisterOblivious posted:

Yup. The guys used to constantly yell at me for my BC pipe rats' nests and the harm they inflicted on the server.
Quarry -> tesseract -> dirt/cobble DSU bypass -> ME system, ME -> ore processing -> ME

They were right to yell at you about BC pipes. They murder servers.

Funny thing is, once you setup a DSU with a Storage Bus and export (using an export bus) your cobblestone to it, you can hook up a storage bus and any new cobble that enters the system will be automatically routed to the DSU. Nifty, right?

No need for BC pipes. Ever.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

You probably can emulate something similar with ComputerCraft and have a bank of monitors with various numbers rolling madly upward/downward/flashing like some madcap nuclear power plant.

I kind of want to make a ComputerCraft stock (as in supply level) ticker system. I know enough LUA to crash a server, so I'm hesitant to do it on the Toast server we have going up. Maybe I'll go buy a minecraft server from Akliz or some such and dev up a stock ticker system that interfaces with ME (somehow).

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

e: Same problem with waterproof pipes? What's the thoughtful user's oil-drilling solution?

Liquiducts are amazingly awesome. They will even pump out if you right click them with a wrench (makes them have a red caret on them) and then supply them with a redstone signal. It's how I automate brewing different liquids using a single brewing stand.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

RmansRvnge posted:

I made a thing. This mod simply adds a few ores to the MFR mining laser, namely Yellorite, Uranium, Osmium. Tested on the latest Toast Crunchy pack for 1.5.2 since that's what I mainly play. Made for personal use, but sharing here in case anyone finds it useful. I can probably do additional ores if there's interest or demand for it.

MFR Laser Ore Addon

Fantastic! Now we can get the rest of the ores we need out of laser drills, and I can stop bringing the goon server to its knees with my chunk-eating machine.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

$100 for your kickstarter to replace minecraft.

I'll shovel some money this way as well.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

m2pt5 posted:

I've never used Ars Magica, but I'm really interested in Thaumcraft 4. Are there any servers planned for it yet?

I've been working on a Toast Crunchy-like pack to keep us crafting while GhostSeven figures out a proper 1.6 version of Crunchy. Waiting on a couple more mods to finish up, then I'll have to setup a server to start testing it in multiplayer. Aside from TE which is a requirement of the pack, I'm trying to round up new versions or replacements for some of the other things we've grown to love like Highlands and Artifice. Those then have to be tested, playtested...

Basically, it's going to be a short while yet if you're looking for something with tech in it. If not, Luddite 4 is coming soon(tm).

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Alkydere posted:

See, the problem isn't the chunk being unloaded. I'll stand there and look right at the crafting monitor and watch as it suddenly unloads the project midway through.

Is it doing something terrible like making a cable go dark/lighting a cable automatically? That's the equivalent of connecting things to/disconnecting things from the network, and it cancels any open build orders.

Also if you run out of space, orders get cancelled.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Not messing with multiple networks, or dark cable. It's one big network. It will just cut out mid-crafting. It did it just now in the middle of crafting a stack of microblock covers.

It's mostly an annoyance, but it's one I'd like to at least understand.

How big is this network, and is it all chunk-loaded?

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

The video that its clipped from is private. Use this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zFbwIcUti4

Also, seriously, you're gonna sympathise with the cry baby modders and not the awesome kid that called them out on their poo poo stinking? Jesus.

I'm failing to see how asking a personal question in a public forum in as loaded a way as possible is "calling them out on their poo poo stinking". Was there some other portion of Q&A this kid attended where he wasn't cringeworthy?

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

I really need to stop watching MineCon videos. The people asking questions are asking really dumb questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaz5zVruTQI

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Clairetic posted:

For those who haven't checked out Opis yet and can stand Direwolf20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir-qsafyH8w

1.6+, sadly. Those of us on 1.5 can still enjoy the excellent TickProfiler which does exactly what Opis does without the hand-holding.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

So now we have TE3 for 1.6, is MFR coming soon(tm)?

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Serifina posted:

MFR got updated a while ago.

Apparently it has, and I'm an idiot. I was looking at PowerCrystals' thread, not the one by Skyboy.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Rutibex posted:

I think the issue you are having is a result of your animals being in fenced areas. Fences are funny blocks, not quite solid. If you keep them deep underground they can not escape as the walls are solid stone. It's much more efficient to construct vertical pens into the ground both for convenience and escape prevention:

To further this point, I also have a middle pen that the babies get pulled into, and then they get pulled into another pen from there, 2 pens away from the adults, to keep the pathing issues to a minimum.

adult pen (babies)-> transfer pen -> growing pen (adults)-> slaughter pen

It uses up an extra chronotyper, but it makes the animal farming go much smoother.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Fortis posted:

Hey KL, potentially stupid question... how tenable would you say actually updating a 1.5 world running TE2 to 1.6.4 running TE3 would be? Assuming I matched the Block/Item IDs between the original liquiducts & fluiducts, conduit types, and energy cells, would it be much of a hassle, you think? I'm writing off Tesseracts entirely as no matter what I do, two thirds of them will have to disappear. Mainly I'm wondering what replacing engines with their corresponding dynamos would do; would they flip out due to improper NBT data or anything like that? I want to use all a cool new poo poo but I neither want to restart my server world nor have my users murder me for restarting the server world. :saddowns:

The exact same problem I am having trying to update Never Stop Toasting to 1.6: No matter how I slice it, a large number of mods are not going to move to 1.6.4 and the ones that do have changed a lot of things.

I've resolved myself to just setting up a second server whenever I can get this stupid modpack to actually start up correctly.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

delta534 posted:

I know that MPS works with 1.6.4 so I think it's safe to assume any mod that has only has a 1.6.2 version should work with 1.6.4.

It does? It's literally the last damned thing I need to get working before my pack is good enough for release, and I can't get it to work. 174 mods all playing well with each other, add MPS->crash.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

delta534 posted:

It works fine for me, the MPS addon does not work but other than that it works without issues. Can I see the crashlog, I might be able to help.

http://pastebin.com/qdjt2j9i

You'll be my hero if you can tell me where I went wrong.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

delta534 posted:

Go into the powersuit config file and change B:"Thermal Expansion Recipes"=true to B:"Thermal Expansion Recipes"=false and change B:"Vanilla Recipes"=false to B:"Vanilla Recipes"=true.

Had to remove TE to get MPS to fully initialize and create its config file, but that worked! Thank you so much!

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Rita Repulsa posted:

Do the plus pack and toast guys ask for permission for the things they include or do they just do as they wilt

I can't speak on behalf of Ghostseven whose mod pack my Never Stop Toasting packs are modeled after, but I give not one single poo poo about acquiring permission.

The internet is pretty simple: if you don't want a file distributed, stop posting links to the file all over the internet. If you don't want more people using your mod, what is the entire point of making one? You can't simultaneously say that you want people to use your mod *and* don't want people downloading the mod from anywhere else except your poo poo-tacular adfly link. That's wishful thinking at best.

Modpack creation/updating/maintenance is pretty high :effort:, I'm not going to waste precious days of my life trying to ask these guys who post public links on the internet to the files if I can use said files.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Ahdinko posted:

Thanks for the kind words and feedback Turtlicious,

I don't know a thing about the new Thaumcraft 4 stuff yet so I'll have to spend some time screwing around with it before I can make a good video. I've got two or three more short videos to do on TE3 to wrap it up, and then I planned to start doing some mods over the weekend like Applied Energistics, Atomic Science and Big Reactors

Keep in mind the rv14 branch of Applied Energistics was abruptly canceled as it does not work correctly.

http://ae-mod.info/Announcement/

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

McFrugal posted:

Looks like something called a Frost Shard got bugged up. Mo' Creatures is in there, perhaps it's incompatible with TC4?

Mo' Creatures works just fine with Thaumcraft 4 on the Never Stop Toasting 1.6 pack, as far as we've seen.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Bremen posted:

I'm sure the question gets asked constantly, but can anyone recommend some good modpacks for 1.6.x? Most of the big Technic packs seem to still be 1.5, and I've given up on waiting for FTB to update.

(shameless plug) Never Stop Toasting (based off of Ghost Seven's excellent Toast: Series of modpacks) has a 1.6 modpack out: http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/never-stop-toasting-16.213857

We also have the official server up in PGS, feel free to join us!

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

greententacle posted:

Could you post the modlist for Never Stop Toasting?

I'm working on that today, actually. I have a spreadsheet listing them all, I just need to get that moved onto the TechnicPack page for the modpack.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

greententacle posted:

Could you post the modlist for Never Stop Toasting?

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/never-stop-toasting-16.213857

The pack is now Solder-enabled, so the entire modlist shows there.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Scorpion 3-2 posted:

There is no modlist showing up for me.

Yeah. I failed to read the non-existent documentation on solder, so I'm in the process of repairing the pack to a state where I can re-link it to solder. Should be good by the morning.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Reason posted:

Whats the go-to pack for cramming as much poo poo into a pack as possible these days?

President Ark posted:

So what tech-centric modpacks are out that are on 1.6? Big Dig and Tekkit are still on 1.5.2 and I'm not really familiar with the smaller packs.

Never Stop Toasting (1.6) 178 mods (soon to be 180), most of them tech-based or expanding on the tech capabilities.

We have a thread up in PGS, too, if you'd like to come play with fellow goons.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

bbcisdabomb posted:

Is the new update going to have XACT Crafting? The changes it makes to vanilla crafting tables are really nice.

Whenever he updates it beyond 0.4.2c, which doesn't work with MMPS, to a version that does work with MMPS it'll be right back in.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

AggroJagg posted:

I've played mc a bit on the 360, but have decided all this modding malarkey sounds like too much fun. Is minecraft available via somethng like Steam, or is it available only via the minecraft website?

Also Target sells Minecraft codes-on-a-card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Jedi425 posted:

Sometimes, when IDs conflict weird things will happen to recipes. On NST, for a while, a recipe that was supposed to make Artifice Marble become MFR Whitestone would display correctly in the crafting table, but when you pulled the item out, it was a vanilla stone button. :v:

Luckily, no one's found one of those for say, antimatter. Yet.

Heh. I hadn't realized there were conflicts that were not allowing recipes to be completed until I tried to make a sink the other day.

I've corrected all of the conflicts, so thankfully that's taken care of; it did cost IronClaymore his castle walls though :cripes:

• Locked thread