Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

SirDan3k posted:

Because wading through that many pages to see if your modding problem has already been solved is a giant pain. Minecraft modding threads are half discussion and half help desk.

Plus you get to see how much time you spend in this thread writing frivolous posts like myself! :v:

I don't get the context of the last MOD DRAMA entry. I was going to ask about that in the other thread but I was too late it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

When I started building a mystcraft tower to move that whole system out of my house's library (for lack of anything better to do), I figured the blue bricks looked neat enough to use in the construction. With a couple quarries that have dug about 30 holes in a flat plain, I figured I had enough. Except that 4 blocks of lapis per 8 bricks is a bit ridiculous and I quickly ran out. I had to manually mine for the first time in a long while!

Outer second layer is complete, but I want to add a third, smaller section. It's my most expensive building yet!

Also, my meat factory conveyor belt is terrible for baby piggies. I had to rip it out and replace it with a fall and Chronotyper because they would not separate from the belt edge properly and somehow slipped out into the floor proper. And my Vet station pipe refill system is a terrible kludge of an autarch gate always running and diamond pipes to send full syringes back into it. I think I have to experiment with PRC a little, so that it'll delay pulling items out by at least the idle period of the machine if the inventory is full.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Pidmon posted:

Few Skyden questions:

What's a good singular source of the 'expensive' goblet-shaped essentia so I can turn gold into iron and back into gold exponentially?

What would be the best gear to go fight the Wither with? How does Thaumic armour/weaponry compare to Diamond or Ruby-tier?

Does the Skyden end once the final Rite is completed, or will I have free reign to continue automating? Because I have an urge to install 1.4.7 forestry onto it with some cheated-in bees just to dick around with tree breeding (I hate that you have to go bee-crazy just to get some drat trees to start brushing leaves together)

1. According to a couple cheat sheets, your best bet would be to use chiseled stone bricks (the square looking ones); it has 1 Carus (goblet) and 1 Saxum (stone). I'm not sure you have the easy recipe to convert normal stone bricks to chiseled; I think the EE3 stone should do it, though. Smooth sandstone is an alternative but since this is a sky map I don't think you have easy access to a replenishing source.

2. It's a tier below diamond but above iron in terms of defense/damage. Enchantments may turn the balance, I don't know, I never really experimented with them. I would suggest using diamond/ruby still. Get a bow and lots of arrows for the first half of the fight; he's like a faster moving ghast. Recommend building an arena to make things easier.

3. Don't know, never played. Someone else will chip in, I imagine!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Quick question for the Tekkit maintainers, is there any chance of it getting updated to the latest mod versions? I'd *really* love to burn lasers into the core of the world for rare ores (to the point where I've built the platform).

If not, no big deal. The structure still looks pretty sweet.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Shadowmorn posted:

Unless i'm misunderstanding you, backup your save then manually pick the newest tekkit version, using the cog icon under the pack on the pack select.

That'll update the pack and give you laserbeams to work with. :hellyeah:

drat it, I should've checked all the options before asking.

But yes, laser is now collecting me emeralds so I can crank out more foci. I think I'll dedicate a Mystcraft world (ooh, bonus points if I can find/create a Void if it's not too concerned about actual bedrock) for an array because I've got a lot of power without a whole lot of use and more than one in the same place seems a bit cluttered.

Onward to Atomic skullduggery!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

I've got a Bio-fuel farm up, and everything is going great, but there are saplings just dropping everywhere. I've got void pipes & Insertion pipes on most things, and no more then 2 or 3 saplings gold pipes for any given line. I'm only using trees, is there a reason saplings are falling everywhere?

Post a screenshot of your pipe setup and maybe one of us will spot something you missed.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

I do not want to make this again, even in creative :smith:

What's the best way to make an automatic power system? Ease wise? I can't chunk load the nether, and I don't want to do anything complicated, I just want a lot of power so I can screw around with power suits and quarries and stuff.

Build a farm with a good variety of produce, then go into MFR Bioreactors and Bio-fuel Generators. One reactor running at capacity will keep 6 generators fuelled. Each generator is good for 16 MJ/t, so a full power stack will keep a midsize base going with no brownouts. Really scaleable; my current setup slotted in another 12 gens for a total of 24 with less fuss than the first 6. This is way more power than I'll need unless I go crazy with MFR's laser mining.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nastyman posted:

Can Rock Crushers output to pipes? I've got a literally endless supply of gravel and I want to have it crush 24/7 in the hopes of getting some extra diamonds and gold, but it's filling up pretty fast and I can't seem to find a combination of pipes and chest that'll make it spit out the results.

By what I looked up, a wooden pipe with a redstone signal (constant or pulsed) from one of the sides should do it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Perfectly happy with that change if that's the case; flux just spawned tons of wisps and maybe a couple environmental effects once in a blue moon with no way of reducing it. Taint gave you a visual indicator of how much you're subverting the natural order of things for your own selfish gain and some real consequences.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nastyman posted:

I just want to build an elevator :smith:

Psst, hey, you didn't hear this from me but here.

(You'll probably want a zipper style)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Also is there a way to make some kind of timer with the slaughterhouse or other machines in order to make a automatic animal farm that only slaughters animals every so often instead of all at once.

Make a pen 5x5 in size so that your breeder works optimally, then on one of the other sides stick a powered Chronotyper to pull the babies out of that pen. Now, babies are finicky little bastards that want to stay as close to their parents as possible and because of this having them on the same z-level will result in a handful being able to vibrate their way through the wall and back into the breeding pen. This is Not A Good Thing, so to prevent that have the Chronotyper pull them into a pit, doesn't have to be too deep but just enough so that you can dig underneath the breeding pen. The children will congregate there, so it's a simple matter of having a Slaughterhouse there to kill the adults when they grow up (Slaughterhouses don't kill babies).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Just tried that, nothin doin.

Just to confirm as I'm sure you checked this before asking, but did you right-click the harvester and fertilizer to see if they're receiving power?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Anticheese posted:

Whatever happened to an official modding API?

You mean the thing they said was to be released for 1.5 but delayed for 1.6 (and then again for 1.7?). Where the official GitHub linked in their wiki hasn't seen activity in over a year? And there's been radio silence on the whole subject for about the same period of time? :v:

Well, you see, horses are more important.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

9x9 around the auto-spawner.

It's a tricky business; my tower for this leaked horribly when I tried Blazes for awhile.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I solved this issue in 1.5.2 by having the Chronotyper drop babies into a pit that had space underneath the breeding pen. They're quite content congregating directly underneath their parents, making it easy for the Grinder to kill off the grown up kids.

I'm currently dicking around with crafty turtles to transmute dirt into gravel and then into clay for automatic processing into bricks. I guess I could do the same thing with cobble as a parallel line. And I guess I could expand into performing a similar trick with my large excess of jungle logs to eventually turn them into diamonds. Oh hey, I guess I could go whole hog and transmute dirt to diamonds if I wanted to (dirt->gravel->clay~>clay blocks->iron ingot->gold ingot->diamond) but I have a greater need for construction material at the moment over diamonds.

(Reason why turtles is that they don't damage minium stones while they're crafting with them)

And then I'll get my bank of auto processor machines shoved into the basement linked to a Logistics Pipe system I've been kicking around for a while. Once they're out of workshop proper I can dedicate the walls to be banks upon banks of AE Monitors to go with my AE system and DSU extreme storage wall.

And I *still* need to prettify the Mystcraft tower up. And restock the 'meat' factory. And create a void Mystcraft book to shove an array of MFR Lasers in (or try it in lower earth orbit instead, hmm...). And...and...and...

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Cantorsdust posted:

Just cheat yourself a few philosopher's stones and put the recipes into your AE crafting network. Philosopher's stones replace themselves when they break.

I mean I could, but then I wouldn't get to build a ridiculous system of chained turtles endlessly working to condense blocks into denser and denser materials. :shepface:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

dijon du jour posted:

I'm surprised that you're complaining about the wraiths when mo' creatures has recently added an even worse mob. It's a golem that, when you get within a certain (too wide) radius, activates and sucks up blocks from the surrounding area and throws them at you for massive damage. It took about ten minutes for one to spawn near my house and almost completely dismantle it before I said "gently caress this" and disabled golems from spawning.

I didn't think they could get any worse than the Ogres but man, they managed it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

So I mentioned I was playing around with a couple of ideas recently. Let's recount,

quote:

I'm currently dicking around with crafty turtles to transmute dirt into gravel and then into clay for automatic processing into bricks.

I wrote two iterations of the script and it works out pretty nicely, gaining me ~500 bricks. Problem is the turtles stopped their programs when I came back. Mind you I was in my mining Mystcraft book when I logged out so the overworld chunk with them might not have loaded when I came back (single player). Whatever, next iteration will have them re-orient to their supply chests on start up if and when I come back to this idea.

quote:

And then I'll get my bank of auto processor machines shoved into the basement linked to a Logistics Pipe system I've been kicking around for a while. Once they're out of workshop proper I can dedicate the walls to be banks upon banks of AE Monitors to go with my AE system and DSU extreme storage wall.

This has happened, over the course of a couple re-designs and finding out that Logistics Pipes only connect to one machine at a time. It's not the neatest solution since I'm flooding the pipes with the items (particularly my huge backlog of wood) instead of figuring out how to get the AE system and Logistics Pipes talking with each other, but it's cool to see the flow moving about. There's a significant hit to my FPS, unfortunately.

I left a couple Induction Smelters, Pulverizer, Powered Smelter and a bank of Magma Crucible-Liquid Transposer pairs above since they weren't doing auto-processing but crafting. I did shove them a block closer to the wall so the power cables aren't visible and threw in an initial set of monitors to see how it would look once expanded upon. Workshop looks a lot less cluttered!

quote:

And I *still* need to prettify the Mystcraft tower up. And restock the 'meat' factory. And create a void Mystcraft book to shove an array of MFR Lasers in (or try it in lower earth orbit instead, hmm...).

Initial efforts on the tower was basically adding a couple stacks of bookcases to the walls. There needs to be more but I want to add something to break up that monotony. Haven't figured out what yet.

Restocking worked a little too well. Somehow banjaxed the breeding Chronotyper so that the babies stayed in the pen instead of falling down to the slaughter floor, they grew up and I guess the cascade ate up my entire carrot supply. I had to wholesale slaughter about 20 pigs, some of which managed to find their way above ground and outside! But I've got a full tank stack ready to be processed into 'meat.' Just a matter of flipping the switch.

No Mystcrafting. The interface sucks and I've been reluctant to put together a stable world again. Also no LEO mining either.

I'll try to get pictures up once I get back to that computer.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I have an interface connected like that, but it didn't move anything from the AE network into the pipes. Same with a provider module hooked into the ender chest that contained the output of my quarries. The ender chest works with an extractor pulling everything into the pipe system which is my messy solution.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Logistic Chassis Mk2s with an Item Sink and Extractor. I'm betting the Supplier component is what was missing and I'll try it out later tonight to see. Thanks in advance!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Double-post, but it's been hours in between so I'm hoping it'll be alright.

Pictures!

Workshop

That Mystcraft Tower

Those Turtles

(These and several other pictures in this album)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's what I've got installed in my power suit. Really hard to run out of energy that way.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Jetamo posted:

...Well now, the developer behind Applied Energistics sure is making some...interesting additions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_8rnGfIVfs :suspense:

It's not enough that you can store several hundred thousand blocks of various things in two blocks anymore for Applied Energistics. Now you can take entire chunks.

Get bored of your current area? Sink a couple pillars down, flip a switch, your hours of work is now in your pocket to bring along!

Wander into a Mystcraft page and never look back!
Moon base? Ha, your painstakingly built complex is no match for my full transplant of grass and trees!
What's that? Sorry, I couldn't hear you on top of my chunk stacked on top of the highest point of the world.

Take it into The End with you! :unsmigghh:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You probably can emulate something similar with ComputerCraft and have a bank of monitors with various numbers rolling madly upward/downward/flashing like some madcap nuclear power plant.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

mechaet posted:

I kind of want to make a ComputerCraft stock (as in supply level) ticker system. I know enough LUA to crash a server, so I'm hesitant to do it on the Toast server we have going up. Maybe I'll go buy a minecraft server from Akliz or some such and dev up a stock ticker system that interfaces with ME (somehow).

I think it comes down to if you can get OpenCCSensors to read a ME Access Terminal directly for the types of blocks you want to track. If not, then it's going to be a lot more complex and limited in scope (ie. setting up a bunch of chests/DSUs holding the items instead).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Alright, I have a quick question about AE. If I set up a long crafting chain, generally something that requires waiting for something to be cooked/pulverized like making a bunch of processor chips, the computer system will cancel the process midway through. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I have a sneaking suspicion it's because my AE is sharing furnaces and pulverizers with the auto-processing output of my laser drill, so sometimes the furnace ends up occupied with something like nether quartz. Of course my hunch doesn't explain stuff like the system hanging when I'm asking it to use minium stones to make ink sacs or other dye from lapis and bonemeal, that's just lots of basic crafting.

If you go into another dimension (Dimensional Doors, Mystcraft books, Space/Moon), it will stop crafting.
If you make a change to the AE network (by a dark cable getting a redstone signal, or adding/removing a cable/interface/bus/etc), it will stop crafting.
If you go far enough away from the chunk with your network and you don't have it chunk loaded, it will stop crafting.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

How full is your storage? Not sure on the behaviour when it tries to craft and there's no space for the result in the AE network, but it might be worth looking into.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

fondue posted:

I'm beginning to think it's stable and will post something official here about the pack on Friday if it stays that way.

I've been playing recently and when you yanked out the coral mod I was forced to move from my little workshop on the shores of a lake. The pockets of air that now exist at the bottom is enough to spawn hostile mobs, which then float to the surface like they were Deep Ones. It's not fun to have skeletons at all hours just bobbing about nearby, waiting for me to come to my farm and then start sniping. Or creepers. Or zombies coming up to knock on my door.

Infernal mobs combined with that just made it worse. As I was in the process of moving everything out to a nice hobbit hill I found nearby, I wasn't caring too much about my health or food levels. Thus as I opened the door and walked out I was smote by a bolt of lightning that killed me instantly. Since it set me on fire the items I was carrying (mostly Tinker's patterns and casts) were all destroyed too.

I'm not blaming your mod pack at all for this. My current place is a hell of a lot more nicer/spacious to boot!

Oh, also heads up trying to see spawners/Nether portal with your Thaumometer seems to crash the game.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I really hate Thaumcraft's compound elements requiring you to either memorize the drat sequence from primal onward or keep backing out, consult the 'Nomicon and then do the next step.

Say you want Auram, which is a fairly difficult element to obtain in sufficient numbers. It breaks down to Praecantito and Aer.
- Praecantito is Potentia and Vacuos
- Potentia is Ignis and Ordos
- Vacuos is Aer and Perditio

And it's not even the worst compound element. Instrumentum is a huge pain in the rear end to alchemize.
- Instrumentum = Humanus and Metallum
- Humanus = Bestia + Cognito
- Bestia = Motus + Victus
- Cognito = Terra + Spiritus
- Motus = Aer + Ordo
- Spiritus = Victus + Mortuus
- Mortuus = Victus + Perditio
- Victusx3 = Aqua + Terra

Building from primal is not fun. It needs almost the reverse of the Deconstruction table, something that slowly condenses elements dumped into it to the highest compound it could take.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Shadowmorn posted:

On the topic of design, It is worth saying that the advice given out when the yogs were in england is so true: Your poo poo will look terrible until its complete, keep at it.

Having said that, i suck at interior decorating. :smith:

Don't worry, when it comes to my houses and decorations I'm in the same boat. But as soon as you add functionality requirements (like 'I need a wall of autocrafting machinery to process a couple quarries worth of blocks' or 'I want a central location for mystcraft books and portals') then it becomes a lot easier to design something pretty.

In Tekkit, I've got a largish house with a chest and a bed still on dirt, but the second story is where I've got my enchanting altar and first library so the effort's gone all into there. Workshop sort of started as a rectangular enclosed area with a couple windows but as soon as I got the initial workings on the AE system it expanded one side with a really nice sloping roof and skylights because I needed a safe place for TE machines and MFR deep storage.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Actually, you might have a more enjoyable experience starting with Buildcraft for your energy generation, then delving into Thermal Expansion, Railcraft and/or Mekanism after you step up from 'one engine powering my machines' to 'centralized power generation.'

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Well sure, BC/TE is a good start but if you're looking for MOAR POWAR :byodood: then you're at a material baseline that can sustain experimentation. An array of magmatics powered from the Nether lava fields are all fine and dandy, but then you'll never know the glory that is MFR bio-reactors, giant steam boilers or...arrays of hydrogen/heat generators. :v:

Yeah, Mekanism isn't all that great for power generation. It's probably the closely associated to IC2 in terms of how power gets generated (solar, wind, etc), but to get to that point takes more machines than it really should with the base mod recipes.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Ass_Burgerer posted:

An engine fueled by modder drama.

That would create a positive feedback loop, I mean you can't give out free energy like that you are marginalizing other power mods I want this mod to *require* at least 3 diamonds before I'm satisfied no I want at least another machine you need as a precursor this is ridiculous I mean come on so little effort for so much energy *KABOOM*

Create an engine that uses the rotational energy of dead physicists (or dead authors). Stick 'em on a skewer, place a cobblestone generator nearby (something from nothing? Impossible!)/hook into an average populated Minecraft server's chatroom and let 'er rip.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Forestry was never in Tekkit. The only thing that I used BC for is a starter engine early game and then quarries and some transport pipes (transitioning to Logistics pipes) afterward.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Mistress Mary, quite contrary,
how does your garden grow?
With incense smells and faerie belles
and so my garden grows.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Zan's Minimap. Remove it from the server modpack; it's a client side mod.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Taffer posted:

Showing recipes in videos is a waste of time. Nobody plays with mods without NEI, and if for some reason you REALLY have to look up a recipe there will probably be a wiki page somewhere that has it.

Or look at how Wylker did it with a couple of his mod spotlights. Mentions that the recipe is up on the screen and then overlay it in one of the corners.

Also not all mods, particularly those that have their own crafting blocks, use NEI. See Thaumcraft 4 and making Warded Jars; I had to trial and error into finding the recipe for it based off of Thaumcraft 3's and the current recipe for node moving.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

djw175 posted:

I'm 90% sure if you've researched it, it should be in the thaumicon.

I looked over the entirety of the Thaum' for an entry of warded jars yesterday and couldn't find it. Took a look at a research cheat sheet today and it's buried inside the entry for Essentia Distillation. So yeah, I guess I'm a dunce!

Ahdinko posted:

Thats exactly what i was planning to do with a little whiteboard thing that I can put images on, was that a good idea or not though?

It depends on how much use the whiteboard is going to have. Otherwise you would want it to fade away if it's not going to be used for a long period of time because it would otherwise distract watchers from activity in the center of the screen or cut down on the available display (depending on how you're displaying the whiteboard as either an inset piece or a separate component).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

mechaet posted:

To further this point, I also have a middle pen that the babies get pulled into, and then they get pulled into another pen from there, 2 pens away from the adults, to keep the pathing issues to a minimum.

adult pen (babies)-> transfer pen -> growing pen (adults)-> slaughter pen

It uses up an extra chronotyper, but it makes the animal farming go much smoother.

And another deeper point, having the baby pen directly underneath the adult one will reduce pathing attempts even further. Since the babies will try to stick near the adult as much as possible, if they cannot directly path to them they're quite content to be as close as possible, so they'll crowd in roughly the middle of your lower pen instead of to one side.

dijon du jour posted:

Augh why didn't I think of this sooner. Thanks.

By the way, now that I've scanned most of the items I can right now (before I gain access to the nether, at least) is there any way of gathering more research aspects aside from scanning new nodes? Will there be a way that I just haven't researched yet?

Yes, scanning nodes will always provide you with at least additional primal aspects. And there's a deconstructor block that breaks down items into one of the primal aspects in a very inefficient manner. The more complex the set of aspects the item is composed of, the greater chance it will produce a research aspect for you.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

dijon du jour posted:

Alright, can someone recommend a mod that adds ways to get ender pearls? Because I've been playing this world for quite a while and have seen one Enderman for a few brief moments before it stepped in a puddle and teleported out of my life. So I need a mod that either provides an alternate source of ender pearls or provides some way to farm Endermen. Thanks!

Equivalent Exchange. With the Minium Stone you can convert 4 iron ingots into 1 ender pearl.

• Locked thread