Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh my god dude those knife skills.

1. Hold the knife by pinching the base of the blade between your thumb and (curled) forefinger, and wrap your other three fingers around the top of the handle. Your forefinger knuckle should be just about where the blade meets the handle. (It will hurt afterwards, and you will develop a callus in like 1 day.)

2. You already know you're holding the food wrong and why that's bad. Hold the food the right way. It won't take long to get used to.

2. Chunking two chicken breasts does not take that long! Just slice the breast vertically into strips of desired width WITHOUT MOVING THEM (better grip will help a ton with this) then grab the stripped breast and give it a quarter turn. Slice vertically again and voila! Chunked chicken breast in under 10 seconds.

Rice is easy to do right but also easy to do wrong. How to rice:

1. Put the rice in a pot/rice cooker. The only difference is that if you cook rice in a pot you have to manage the temperature yourself.

2. Wash the rice 3 times or until clear.*

*This is non-negotiable. Washing the rice removes starch powder from the rice turning the finished product from gluey glop to fluffy mounds of delicious. It also removes anything on the rice grains that you might not want, like old arsenic-based pesticides if you get your rice from the US. If you prefer unwashed rice you should just accept that you prefer doing it wrong.

3. Put water in the pot until it is 1/2 inch above the rice, easy mode is to put your (clean) hand on the rice. The water should come up to just cover your knuckles.

4. Bring to a boil uncovered. (or just push the button on your rice cooker)

5. When rice is at a boil, watch until the water is just above the level of the rice. (if you have a rice cooker, wander off for half an hour)

6. Cover and reduce heat to the lowest possible. (if you have a rice cooker maybe you could go check SA or something)

7. Set a timer for 30 minutes

8. DO NOT UNCOVER THE RICE FOR ANY REASON I mean seriously unless there is literally black smoke pouring out of the pot

9. when timer goes off remove from heat, uncover and let rest for 5 minutes before lightly fluffing and serving

Curry Pro Tip use curry powder :confused:

Real Japanese Curry Pro Tip Take 1/4 to 1/2 your potatoes and carrots and vegetables and give them a good goopifying in a food processor, then mix them back into the pan. It gives you that thick smooth japanese curry roux texture without sacrificing flavor.

Compliments: I like your spice choices. Turmeric and coriander is a classy combination.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

amishbuttermaster posted:

Unless of course you like your rice sticky. Depending on the type of rice and preparation method you can achieve a similar result by using slightly less water to cook it. When I do a long-grain rice I use a 1/8 cup less water than what is typically called for.

If you like sticky rice buy sticky rice, don't gently caress up long-grain rice.

There are a lot of people in the US who prefer rice wrong because many, many grandmas/moms had no idea how to cook rice properly and people grew up with gluey, gloppy rice. It's also true that instant rice does not need to be washed because it's already been washed and parboiled at a factory. Instant rice is godawful though and a silly concept to boot.

Oh and in the U.S. rice is fortified with vitamins by adding vitamin powder to the surface of the rice. This is why the government recommends you do not wash rice before eating. Whoever came up with this method of fortification clearly didn't know poo poo about rice and sometimes government policies make no sense. This is one of those times. If you are posting in this thread you do not need your basic grains supplemented with vitamins, just put some vegetables in your meal you goon.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone who wants to spice up their rice should check out Iranian rice recipes. Those people can make miracles with just a rice cooker and some random things in the pantry.

I'll vote for Chickencheese because natto is seriously gross and you don't even cook it. What a silly thing to vote for.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do you stop your poo poo from falling apart while you try that? Whenever I try to chunk stuff like that, it always falls around and gets sloppy. I'ts faster than what he did, but I have to sift through to make sure that there aren't any huge chunks that escaped.

Where is the problem happening, when you slice or when you turn the breast/whatever?

If the meat/thing is sticking to the blade and getting pulled apart, you need a sharp knife and a cut that will minimize sticking. For example, holding the knife at a high angle with the point on the cutting board and drawing it towards yourself, through the thing to be chunked, minimizes the knife/food surface area. If you're chopping down/forward with the edge flat to the cutting board you're putting a lot of flat blade in contact with food, which gives it a chance to stick. If I'm having a good day I can even slice a tomato like this without having it fall apart into a mess (until it's chunked of course there's no hope after that)

If you're having trouble with grasping and turning a sliced chicken breast/tomato/whatever I'm not sure what to say. You kind of have to make a claw with your hand to grip it all the way around, yet be gentle so you don't smoosh it.

It's normal to lose a strip or something regularly, but that takes two seconds to fix. Having the whole thing fall apart and degenerate into an insane chopfest/careful rearrangement is the important thing to avoid.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dragonwagon posted:

So, uh, why do you need to hold the knife like that? I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but the only thing either of you said this achieves is that it makes your hands hurt.

It's the grip with the most control. You hand is on the center of gravity of the knife, which allows you to do things that you can't do by just gripping the handle. For example, one of the most efficient cuts is simply rocking the blade back and forth. It's both fast and precise, perfect for dicing small things in large quantities, and it's simply impossible to do by gripping only the handle.

It doesn't make your hand hurt like playing guitar for three hours or something other strenuous activity, it's plenty comfortable. The only thing is that it rubs on the inside of your index finger where most people have soft skin. If you do enough knife work to irritate the skin you will develop a callus after only one or two days of cutting with the new grip and it will never bother you again. Cooks tend to only notice when they haven't done any cooking for a few weeks and their knife callus goes away.

Tyty posted:

But the way I grip the blade sounds like that and it never hurt me. :raise:

See? Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it. I learned knife skills in a professional kitchen where you might put in 60+ minutes straight with a knife during prep. If you're cooking at home it may not even bother you.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 30, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Your oven has a "high" setting? Or do you just pick a random temperature that sounds big?

Comment on the video: Do you put your non-stick dishes in the dishwasher? They look kind of worn out, and between the sometimes caustic soaps and the superheated steam dry cycle dishwashers can be awfully hard on teflon. From what I've heard, modern enzyme soaps and low-temp drying cycles can let non-stick pans survive, but all you really need is a drizzle of dish soap and a washrag. That's half the point of teflon in the first place.

Some people refuse to believe things are clean until they have been put through the dishwasher. These people are often parents who pass on this belief. Not having a dishwasher bothered me to no end for nearly a year because I felt like nothing I washed was really clean. One of my parents insists you have to was things by hand and then put them through the machine.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 30, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

njsykora posted:

I'm not one for spicy food see and for some reason didn't figure that adding the crushed chillies would make things a little hardcore for a non-heat person like myself. That said my new food processor rose to the occasion wonderfully.

Holy poo poo you put chilis in a food processor? You got lucky man. It's easy to pepper spray yourself doing a dumb thing like that. It's possible to do it safely but I was taught just to avoid the risk and do chili prep by hand.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well much like knife calluses I learned this in a kitchen with a lot of people serving a lot of people. If you throw chilis in the food processor and forget a step in doing it safely, the whole staff has to clear out of the kitchen and you probably ruined service. Hence the policy of just doing it by hand. The worst thing that's going to happen at home is... you forget to lock the lid and pepper spray yourself. Still pretty bad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Steak. All y'all living in the western hemisphere don't know how good you have it.

It's possible to find bacon in slab form but I think what probably happened in Cooking Mama is that in a lot of Asia raw pork belly is sold as bacon. Pork belly is bacon without the delicious curing and/or smoking. I would be upset about it if I didn't just eat Chinese food every meal anyway.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 11, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Crockpots aren't dangerous, are they? My family has been cooking stuff like whole chickens while everyone is at work/school for years and years without incident.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Manuel Calavera posted:

e - hey, blood sausage! It's sausage thickened with blood, since Mico didn't say in the video! It's a really good thickener. I've never tried it myself yet though.

Try it, it's great. Blood gives it a really rich almost earthy slightly umami flavor. Seriously if anyone reading this is put off trying blood sausage because it has blood in it, don't be. It tastes nothing like fresh blood and is in fact delicious.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Samizdata posted:

Mushrooms are high in glutamate, which is the source of the savory deliciousness that is umani, the so-called "fifth flavor."

No flavor, my rear end.

There are so many kinds of edible mushroom it's kind of dumb to go making statements about how mushrooms taste generally. There are mushrooms that taste of very little.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Genocyber posted:

How do you know what what fresh blood tastes like...:drac:

Gnocchi looks interesting.

has anyone seriously not tasted blood? Never had a nosebleed? Bit your lip?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anyway the point is that cooked blood tastes really different and is great especially in sausage.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You pre-cooked the filling and then deep fried the jiaozi? :psyduck:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bolawgnayz pleez

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think canned cabbage is so bad because you can get them fresh all year anywhere. They're a year-round vegetable. There's no reason to eat canned cabbage unless you're on a submarine or something.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I get that. Everyone should know, though, cabbage is a surprisingly versatile vegetable. You can eat it raw or cook it to death and it will be pretty good either way or any way in between. It's particularly good in stir fry. I say surprising because in my family the tradition is to boil anything remotely vegetable until it's bitter mush. I didn't realize things like cabbage or spinach or broccoli could have a texture other than slime. I used to even turn down cooked carrots because I thought cooking meant liquifying. If you have a similar history with vegetables, you should give cabbage (and really everything leafy and green) another try.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

cobalt impurity posted:

Sugar in coleslaw? :stare:

Maybe that's why you guys hate it so much. Also, votin' for meatloaf.

It's called sweet coleslaw where I come from. We recognize more than one ethnicity of coleslaw.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ooooh you should make hot pot I think in Japan it's called shabu shabu. What you do is you make some really spicy chili soup with beef stock and lots of beef fat, then you put it on the table over a portable burner or a hotplate in Americaland, and you toss raw food into it. Cooked food comes out! Amazing! Also you give people a pile of condiments and they make their own sauce so the guy from Arkansas can just smother everything in ketchup while you have a sesame garlic dip.

You need friends and it takes 90 minutes to eat and beer is pretty much mandatory.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You are going to have to throw away so much moldy garlic. :ohdear: It only keeps well inside its skin.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hail Satan! (this is a vote for tofurkey)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dickey Butts posted:

The biggest trick is to use day old rice. Everything else is absolutely secondary to that.

Not even a trick, it's just mandatory. 2 days if your fridge is humid for some reason.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sweet cornbread is Southern Treason almost on the level of secession. It's savory corn bread or burn Atlanta again. :colbert:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Beef stew is boring. What you should really be doing is venison stew. Live a little!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The policy is what the hell are you making, dessert?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

cobalt impurity posted:

Biscuits are strictly for breakfast, and meant to be buried in white gravy. :colbert:

We need come down south and kick y'all's asses again goddamn. White gravy is an abomination unto the United States of Loyal Americans. :911:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A Brit makes fun of American teeth? :psyduck: A confusing Brit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mutant freak spotted.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's a single gene that controls whether Cilantro tastes like soap to you. So if you don't like cilantro you're on the mutant list. Consider it your mutant power.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 7, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You... you fried sliced bread? :doh:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Podima posted:

I mean technically you can fry sliced bread, just via pan-frying not deep-frying. And now I want French toast, drat. Should bake some challah this coming week for that.

In French Toast though you have delicious eggy filling to keep the oil on the outside of the bread.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

British English is the bastard of the family.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

What was with Cooking Mama's chow mein? Chow mein means the noodles are fried and hard; lo mein is what you call it when you add soft, boiled noodles instead.

Kiev some chicken.

Chow mein is only crispy in cantonese restaurants mostly in the US. Chow mein means fried noodles, you have to fry the absolute crap out of noodles to make them crispy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gagh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TheModernAmerican posted:

I have a hatred for baklava, the closest I came to dying was tearing into like 3 pieces of it. It was so sweet I didn't even notice the nuts in it.

Life without baklava isn't worth much. You should have kept eating.

• Locked thread