Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Every Byrne run is the worst run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

Wait, so Byrne is Tim Buckly, then.

Yeah, basically. With about the same level of talent.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Or have Nightcrawler say he doesn't actually have a forked dick.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Wait, was Nightcrawler's forked dong Claremont?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I have no clue, I'm just aware that one X-Men writer claimed that Nightcrawler had a double-cock and given all of the other weird sex stuff Claremont shoehorned in it makes sense that it would have been him.

e: Okay, good, I'm not going insane.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

rkajdi posted:

There's probably a little of it, but it's hard to be objective about one of the self-centered shits that really help nuke the industry back in the 90s.

Wait, huh? I was under the impression that McFarlane's contribution to the 90s comics industry was basically just starting Image, making Spawn, and loving off to go make toys when those two things made him crazy rich.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

rkajdi posted:

Image was a lot of the early 90s issues IMO. They were a huge part of the inflation of the collector bubble, which is what nearly killed the industry in the 90s.

Wasn't that really mostly Liefeld's fault, though? My understanding is that what specifically made the industry go boom was Death Mate failing, which was almost entirely on Liefeld because he couldn't turn in a book to save his life.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I honestly really, really like McFarlane's art. I feel like I should hate it because of how overdone it is, but something about it just works for me.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean, on one hand it is kinda self-indulgent, but on the other hand my understanding is that they (along with the rest of Image) pretty much opened the indie-comic floodgates and without them we probably wouldn't have stuff like Saga, Stray Bullets, Fatale, or Manhattan Projects. If that's the case, I can't really hate them for championing that cause.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Assuming Goyer is David S. Goyer, he's not really a fantastic writer either, though.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly it kinda sounds like they're both good writers when they can bounce ideas off other people (and when Goyer can keep his rear end in a top hat "LIBRULS KILLING AMERICA!!!!!! :freep:" tendencies to a minimum) but fall apart on their own.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He's got a pretty wide range in output, assuming you're talking about quality and not content.

Little from column A, little from column B. He's only done a couple things that I've liked without serious reservations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I had no idea Dave Goyer was a conservative.

The Dark Knight is a thinly veiled defense of the Patriot Act, and The Dark Knight Rises is gently caress Poor People: The Movie.

• Locked thread