Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

When Peter David FINALLY ended his fantastic run on The Incredible Hulk, he was replaced by Bruce Jones (Volume 2, issues 34-76). At first I was concerned since David was THE definitive Hulk writer in my mind, but I found myself very pleasantly surprised with Bruce Jones' start on the run. It came to be one of the comics I looked forward to the most every week, as I waited to see who Mr. Blue was, what the big secret behind the conspiracy was, what part The Abomination would play, plus it was neat to see Bruce walking the land again, spending a lot of time in big open areas away from cities and other heroes/villains. Then... it just kept going. And going. And nothing was being resolved. And new plot threads got introduced and then abandoned or ignored or forgotten. And people kept dying and coming back to life (I know this is comics but this was ridiculous). And the art was so generic that I couldn't tell a lot of the female characters apart. And the whole thing just kept staggering along with no sign of stopping that by the time everything was (badly) resolved I'd long since stopped caring, and I actually struggle to even remember what DID happen except that I vaguely recall it involved The Leader somehow and that it didn't make any goddamn sense.

I stopped reading Hulk until World War Hulk resparked my interest, my understanding is that after it was over Peter David came back on board and pretty much just said,"Nah none of that stuff happened", and then Greg Pak took over and made things interesting again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Also, Aunt May's death in that is so incredible, it's an amazing issue.

That sure was a beautiful scene between Peter and that hired actress. :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Also I agree, FF has a disproportionately high amount of terrible runs.

Who was responsible for this monstrosity of a costume?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

E the Shaggy posted:

God drat did he waste Noh-Varr.

Something I've been quite curious about, is Noh-Varr the same guy from Grant Morrison's Marvel Boy mini? Because I sort of had the impression he was but whenever I read him he seems NOTHING like the character from that mini.

Edit: And in a complete opposite from this thread's intent, goddamn did I love the story with the living corporation that gets torn apart by Earth corporations "like watching dinosaurs tear apart a space ship!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gavok posted:

Are you reading Young Avengers? Because if not, you should be reading Young Avengers.

Looked it up, remembered seeing some of the panels posted in the funny panels thread and yeah, it looks pretty drat great, thanks for the recommendation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

404GoonNotFound posted:

The best/worst part is seeing neckbeards on social networking rage on it due to THE GAY AGENDA :byodood:

Jesus, it's like:

Heterosexual Romances in comics - 57,000 | Homosexual Romances in comics - 8

and they're complaining about a gay agenda?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Doom kills Cassie Lang after she comes running at him. Almost immediately after that Wanda and Wiccan manage to remove Doom's new powers. He reveals in a huff that he is actually responsible for influencing Wanda to do all those bad things she did ("CHARACTER FIXED" says Allan Heinberg, hi-fiving himself) and takes off to Latveria.

Goddammit I hate this type of thing, like when they retconned Hal Jordan going crazy into being infected by an alien fear monster since apparently good people never do bad things/have a bad day.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

In a Bendis New Avenger issue its revealed that Hawkeye banged Scarlet Witch. In Children Crusade it was revealed that was not Wanda, but a Doombot.

Clint: You mean....
Doom: Yes you fool! For who else but DOOM could bring you to such heights of pleasure!?! :doom:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They killed the sweet little kid with the giant pet sentinel?

I barely knew the character but he sure as gently caress deserved better than that. gently caress this series.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

The issue of Avengers Academy about that Sentinel almost giving his life to stop crazy Phoenix Emma Frost from hurting Juston (but it turns out Quicksilver saved the Sentinel's CPU :3:) almost brought me to tears.

And then he died in a lovely book.

That issue is about my only exposure to the character and yeah, it was a really sweet issue that told a charming story. It's pretty hugely offensive that they'd off him in some cheap "controversy" book like that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What's even better is that this is the name he uses because he thinks using a codename was ridiculous and immature :allears:

"Batman is a foolish name from a foolish past, from now on I will be known as Mourning Revengefist!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And Jason is so badass that he can punk Shiva and defeat her with a punch

:cripes:

Sidekick defeats Shiva with this one weird trick, The League of Assassins hate him!

:negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is Wonder Woman sitting down? Flying? Skidding along the ground for some reason? Why is she looking in a different direction to everybody else?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This guy

Granted, I'm biased since I'm a big 'Predator' fan but I think the similarities are obvious.

Based on what look like question-marks in the alien's word bubbles, I'm going to assume it is saying,"Who are you? Where am I? Why are you hitting me? I just want to go home! :smith:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Awwww man, Superman you big jerk :sigh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gynovore posted:

I can't believe this hasn't been posted before, but... Larry Hama's run on Generation X, 33-47.

Nobody mentioned it because:

Evil Mastermind posted:

I wiped that whole run out of my memory.

Generation X was fun if a little all over the place during the Lobdell/Bachalo years, but man did things go to poo poo after they left. I had managed to forget that terrible Monet/Penance storyline which made no sense at the time or after the fact, and still makes no sense to this day. It was just awful.

Also I hated how Skin started off as a guy who hated his freakish appearance - grey skin hanging in drooping flaps all over his skinny body - to some muscular handsome dude whose skin was still grey but now smooth and taut. The only nod to his original condition was that he could stretch out his fingers really long and use them like Spider-Man's webs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ghostpilot posted:

That's Amanda Sefton, back in Uncanny X-Men #168.

Who is also his sister :cripes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

E the Shaggy posted:

All in one panel.

Sage is in the background of that panel.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Whoa, a breakup with a long-time girlfriend? Or maybe she's dead? Either way, no chance of happiness with a significant other? Sounds like somebody's trying to get a job at DC! :rimshot:

...Joe Quesada? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Madkal posted:

The only X-Factor issue I remember from X-Cutioner's Song was the one where Apocalypse saves Xaviers life and Angel is there watching the whole thing. What made that issue stand out for me was the awesome art.

He probably wasn't even the artist, but that brought back a flashback of Andy Kubert's absolute favorite piece of framing, a gasping person's head in the foreground with somebody else's face uncomfortably close to them in the immediate background, and a concerned onlooker in the further background.

Maybe I'm mad or it's just an irrational pet peeve, but I swear I saw him use that same framing constantly during the 90s and it always drove me mad.

• Locked thread