Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Press X to have a guy send pictures of you drinking in a bar to Deadspin.

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure I am skipping this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Goetta posted:

Ditto, I nearly skipped this year but was given it as a gift in February. 14 doesn't look any different, let's see what they manage on the next generation of consoles but man oh man is this franchise getting very stale very fast.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Haha I dunno, getting in a bar fight that ruins your wrist shot sounds a bit funny

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Like someone mentioned above, having the same skate onto the ice sequence for years in a row and other little things really gets on my nerves for reasons I can't fully explain. The fighting stuff looks better but beyond that the whole thing feels like a $60 tuner/roster update.

Why do they still have the 'one game at a time' thing for EASHL clubs? Why can't you specify a position you want to play for drop-in games so that you don't have half your team leave when they can't hit a button fast enough to grab C? Can the game really not detect that your goalie has been AFK for the past 10 minutes?

Maybe I am being picky but these seem like such small things that have gradually made me crazy just by existing for years on end.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

FWIW they did finally add position select before you commit to an OTP game this year.

Small victories.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Can't wait for Be a GM to continue to have less depth to it than NHL 2k5's Franchise Mode.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Goetta posted:

I can't skip a year. It's not possible for me. The only reason I am getting it this year is because I have a leftover $50 GameStop gift card.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I was once so excited for the NHL 94 mode.

I think I am going to pass, once again.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
ah yes, the annual declarations of skipping this year; hockey season must be almost here

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pleads posted:

FWIW they did finally add position select before you commit to an OTP game this year.

Small victories.

And yet this will likely result in even more people dropping out of games.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad idea in principle, but I think in practice it will just result in a lot of game with the forward positions full and nobody wanting to play defense or goal. Having a priority list of positions and searching for games with those spots open would work better but will never happen.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

eXXon posted:

And yet this will likely result in even more people dropping out of games.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad idea in principle, but I think in practice it will just result in a lot of game with the forward positions full and nobody wanting to play defense or goal. Having a priority list of positions and searching for games with those spots open would work better but will never happen.

As long as the games happen instead of everyone quitting instantly, it's an improvement.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jack_tripper posted:

ah yes, the annual declarations of skipping this year; hockey season must be almost here

I could just repost the same posts I have made since NHL 11 came out.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
2vs2 matches with only wings still counts towards "the grind". And that's why anyone plays drop in games anyway

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands
The "Live the Life" mode is more or less taken straight from the NBA2K series' MyPlayer mode. At least in that one, you get to watch your character model speak!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Heaf posted:

At least in that one, you get to watch your character model speak!
That would require them to update the character models and animations.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Hockles posted:

I can't skip a year. It's not possible for me. The only reason I am getting it this year is because I have a leftover $50 GameStop gift card.

You'd get it if you OWED Gamestop $50

Not sure how much you expect them to change the animations and engine on the last version of the game in this console era.

sba fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 7, 2013

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
the #1 addition I would have liked to see this year is a collector's edition with a free year of gamecenter like the 25th anniversary madden. I'm definitely skipping GC this year but for only $40 extra it would've been worth it

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Pleads posted:

Small victories.

loving finally. It's only taken them how many years now?

That, and hopefully this is the fix I've been waiting for all of these years when it comes to D-men doing a retarded spin move that forces the puck over the line and then ultimately offside:

EA posted:

Less offsides on passes near the blueline. Now, the receiver will turn to face the pass rather than pull back to their generic stance and inadvertently go offside.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sba posted:

You'd get it if you OWED Gamestop $50

In years past, yes. But my playing time is going to be cut sharply this year, because of burn out from last year, not much improvement, and personal reasons.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Hockles posted:

As long as the games happen instead of everyone quitting instantly, it's an improvement.

This. I hated the five minute countdowns of people arguing over teams, then another two minutes of jockeying for positions and some quitting out, then getting all the way into a game and then having the rest of the other team quit out.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea it was awesome choosing goalie and then watching half your team drop, and then the other team drop, and then you're all alone :(

Then again maybe I had a bad reputation.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea it was awesome choosing goalie and then watching half your team drop, and then the other team drop, and then you're all alone :(

Then again maybe I had a bad reputation.

Do you have some sort of advanced interface that lets everyone know when you have ingested a prescription sleep aid?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Nah, XBL doesn't support murderchurch.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

GMC info: http://www.easports.com/nhl/news-updates-gameplay/article/nhl-14-be-a-gm-and-gm-connected

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

That takes care of the worst issues... Hope they'll add some kind of automatic scouting too

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Anders posted:

That takes care of the worst issues... Hope they'll add some kind of automatic scouting too

I just trade all my draft picks for players to make a super team anyway because people progress so slowly

Sweeper fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 12, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Sweeper posted:

I just trade all my draft picks for players to make a super team anyway because people progress so slowly

Yeah I don't think I've ever had a draft pick develop into a star player, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Anders posted:

For GMC you mean? Because that takes care of only a tiny fraction of the issues. I didn't see any mention of:

Scouting and drafting being an utter joke, except for the 2-3 players each draft who end up any good
Making the waiver wire less useless (it lists player names, but you have to exit the waiver wire to see their ratings/contracts to see if they're worth picking up)
Excessive injuries (you can turn them off, but it's either no injuries at all or all of your star players get murdered for 20+ games each at some point)
Inability to swap two players between AHL/NHL (if you're near the cap, it won't let you call anyone up, even if you have someone you could send down to get back under. And if you're at the roster minimum of 6 D or 12 forwards, it won't let you send anyone down either)
AI placing your players on waivers after the offseason
No Android GM app (iOS only? This poo poo is bush league)
Clunky free agent system (it works, but it would be nice if you could get some reasonable feedback before contracts are signed, or at least be able to confirm contracts. I just remember making like 7 offers to FAs, not expecting or even wanting to win them all... and then I won them all.)
And the biggest one..

... the motherfucking AI resetting your lines every goddamn time somebody gets injured. Just leave the drat lines alone and let me fix them, or replace the injured player with a healthy scratch.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Well yes, I said the worst. Not all the stupid bullshit.

God, that game mode is hosed. I hope some of the issues you mentioned is included in the faster gameplay improvement.

it's not

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

eXXon posted:

For GMC you mean? Because that takes care of only a tiny fraction of the issues. I didn't see any mention of:

Inability to swap two players between AHL/NHL (if you're near the cap, it won't let you call anyone up, even if you have someone you could send down to get back under. And if you're at the roster minimum of 6 D or 12 forwards, it won't let you send anyone down either)

... the motherfucking AI resetting your lines every goddamn time somebody gets injured. Just leave the drat lines alone and let me fix them, or replace the injured player with a healthy scratch.

I wonder if this has to do with the AHL/NHL thing you mentioned? "Player swapping is easier with just one transaction in the Roster Management Screen"

As for the second thing, I am 90% sure you can set the AI to not touch your lines. I remember the option being something like "Assistant Coach edit lines: Full, Minimal, None"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

triplexpac posted:

I wonder if this has to do with the AHL/NHL thing you mentioned? "Player swapping is easier with just one transaction in the Roster Management Screen"

As for the second thing, I am 90% sure you can set the AI to not touch your lines. I remember the option being something like "Assistant Coach edit lines: Full, Minimal, None"

Those seem to be for Be a GM, not GM Connected.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

eXXon posted:

Those seem to be for Be a GM, not GM Connected.

Oh, nevermind. I just assumed the two modes would share the same options. I haven't really messed around with GM Connected, the horrible loading in the menus turned me off immediately.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

eXXon posted:

This drove me and a few of us nuts. Players were getting waived by the AI left-and-right by the AI auto-fixing lines post injury.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Bradf0rd posted:

This drove me and a few of us nuts. Players were getting waived by the AI left-and-right by the AI auto-fixing lines post injury.
It was the main reason I quit on the PS3 GMC league. Bunch of stupid injuries, idiotic player development(yes, Mikkel Bödker who score 121 goals in two seasons, 81 in 81 in the second of those, certainly only go 79>79>80 overall) and having to reset my lines and put people as healthy scratches because I don't want to waive them is really loving annoying.

And then there's the "give qualifying offer which is rejected and then be unable to trade the player" thing which forced me to retain Loktiniov until forever despite getting him traded.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's still a drat site better than NHL 08 (I think?) where you could trade your first round pick for the guy taken 1st overall every year. It was hilariously broken.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Goalies are live again!* :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpiRhCqae20

Also of note, diving at a player's legs can send him flying. NHL 14: Made for The Neighborhood and TED.

*Until tuned out in the third week of play.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Bradf0rd posted:

My AI loooooved to throw Chris Kreider to loving waivers to play Aaron Asham. Fun times.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
So with this new physics engine is not being able to pass or shoot, because you have been slightly touched, going to get better or worse? Also is there still going to be the thing where I am stuck to a player in front of the net and can't get away

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Bradf0rd posted:

Goalies are live again!* :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpiRhCqae20

Also of note, diving at a player's legs can send him flying. NHL 14: Made for The Neighborhood and TED.

*Until tuned out in the third week of play.

Still missing Hextall buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
That dive trip in the newest trailer was pretty awesome. It'll be my new clear the slot move

• Locked thread