Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Commodore_64 posted:

and an engine that drinks oil now.
Rotary already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Woah that is f'ed.
What could have caused that?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I've never needed a watercooled torch until my buddy got a 250 Lincoln and we were repairing some wheels. Sure is nice though.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

The TIG finger looks like a spark plug wire boot.
I think I have one laying around...

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I don't think so. I recall reading some install manuals and they recommend a certain thickness and rating of concrete for where the lifts will sit.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Good luck!
I hope to be in a similar boat in a couple of years!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

The only thing I can add is the back seats in the fiesta are comically small, and the ride on the ST is more than harsh.

My buddy has an SE with the Ford racing suspension package (~$300), and it's a joy to drive both in smooth roads and bad ones.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I can't afford it, but... http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/4360601842.html Please, tell me someone somewhere is going to be very happy.

That's beautiful and that interior is to die for here in the southwest. I think I'm going to be buying a car from the pnw next as I'm sick of sun burnt cars.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Any idea why it chipped a seal?
How does that compression tester work?

I heard it's like $800 in gaskets to crack open a rotary, is that true?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Seriously awesome piece of kit!

Too bad Arizona has such a high Japanese car tax. I can deal with semi rusty bits much better than a sun burnt everything else.

I will own one of these cars one day!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

FullMetalJacket posted:

my gatherings from your thread is that if I wish to own an FD, I should treat it like an airplane and do annual 100km checks and keep it a garage/hangar when not driven. From your experience, would you state that FC's are less of a chore to work on?

I would imagine so, especially if it is a non-turbo.
I think the FD's have a lot of issues due to the maze of vacuum lines controlling the overly complicated turbo system.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

No idea... Who uses a blue anodized compressor back? I've got a similar looking one with a pink anodized billet back, I was told it was a Garrett and has also been sitting for over 7 years.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Glad to see you're still with us!

Is it common to run a rubber oil feed line to the turbo? I've never seen one OEM. At the Parker hydraulic shop that makes my hoses, they had nothing in the catalog that they would recommend for that duty, other than the Teflon braided stainless (which is what I use).

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Commodore_64 posted:

I'm most excited about that Bridgeport Series 2 NC. Weighing in at 5500 lbs fully assembled with gigantic box ways and huge ballscrews, it'll cut pretty much anything we could ever want. If only it had a tool changer.

Are you guys retrofitting it with newer controls and components? I heard that those machines are abysmal in stock form.

I almost picked one up a couple years back but everyone talked me out of it. My new aim is a small toolroom Haas that I can still get parts for.

Good luck with it! I'm annoyed at myself for settling on a table top CNC.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I'm drooling over you shop, hopefully one day I can afford something comparably because :drat:

I've never used a surface grinder, I need to learn it by the end of the year so I can apply for another position. On that lathe, how come you can't use the original motor with a new vfd?

What I do to hold cams is two crescent wrenches clamped together by vise grips. Works even better if you have one of those awesome clamping adjustable wrenches that AI turned me onto.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Commodore_64 posted:

Well what do you know... Unistrut makes trolleys. I wonder how it compares in price to an I-beam setup.
http://www.unistrut.us/DB/PDF_Archive/No_12.pdf

Edit:
They even make little turntables and switches. Oh wow, its like a model train set for engines / whathaveyous.
http://overheadconveyorsystems.com/

How much are you looking to move? Last I saw the weight rating was meh. And it was super pricey.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

We have Wilton's just like that at my work! Looks big, which means that Columbian one must be huge!

On the surface grinding, dress your wheel with a diamond dresser, making sure it it is on the back side of the wheel, take 2/3 thou maximum. Skim the dresser at least twice after you have full cleanup. When working on parts, you can take 2-3 thou, but leave less than that for your final passes.

Long thin parts should be boxed in with something magnetic on both sides. Usually a set of parallels if more than enough.

On that transmission, are you saying that if you skip gears, you can damage synchros?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Commodore_64 posted:

Been watching this guy all day. Can;t wait to be doing stuff that looks like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsTbWAu0k-o

This is awesome!
I wish the old farts in my shop were as willing to teach!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

50/50 is not the perfect ratio for everyone, and you're paying over twice the price for half the amount of coolant. A gallon of distilled water is <$1 most places.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Someone's been a busy bee!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I just binged about 2-3 years worth of posts, totally worth it.

I'm going to echo the others about how bad rear end your work and projects are! You're certainly a mad man!

Only one thing I want to point out, don't run those Bosch 2000 CNG injectors. Their flow varies wildly with temperature and I've heard nothing but bad things about tuning them.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

What gas are you running?
I really like ID injectors. I've tuned a few cars with them and I love how stable they are down to 1ms or so. 1300cc injectors on a 1.8l Honda? No problem.

I know the stainless innards are great with alcohol fuels, but with the right filters and frequent use, I've yet to have any issues with e85 on other injectors. The problem with the CNG injectors is flow changes drastically with temperature.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

the spyder posted:

*Edit- just a quick calculation:

Secondary injectors-
3x 1700 = ~950WHP on Gasoline with ~650lph worth of fuel pumps.
or
6x 1700 = 1100WHP on E85 with 1000lph worth of fuel pumps.

I'm going to probably cheap out and just put 3x 1700 in for now and get the project going. I can always add injectors and pumps later.

Holy crap that's a lot of fuel! Do the primaries stay on when the secondary injectors are firing? C16 is very forgiving, but locally it's like $9 a gallon. E85 is almost as forgiving, other than the money spent on the fuel system, but that's $2.50 a gallon locally.

My Supra gets 13mpg on E85, and 19mpg on gas, but all we have at most pumps is crappy 91 that doesn't cut it on a turbo car with 110° days.

the spyder posted:

1) Good wire, proper tools, and quality crimps make a huge difference.
2) Planning out the heat shrink layout is harder then you think. I've made a few mistakes on this harness I can correct in the future.
3) Leave extra when you're first laying it out- wire is cheap. Tossing an inch or three won't hurt anything.
4) Mock it up. Tape it together and test fit if you can.
5) Test your crimps! Pull test everything. Last thing you want is a failed crimp vibrating loose later on.

I used a "mid range" GXL insulated wire and it's a bit bulkier then TXL. I would recommend it for most normal automotive use.

There are bulk wire sellers on eBay that sell much smaller quantities than waytek, both GXL and TXL, and made in the USA. I usually message them to get a custom amount and colors for my harnesses. I also use kapton tape to bundle the harness (leaves no residue), and when I'm happy with the fit, I'll dismantle the connectors and slide in the heat shrink or techflex (depending on what the customer wants). I use the same style butt splices you do with double wall adhesive lined heat shrink after the crimps. I've recently been turned onto open barrel butt splices. They take up way less room, I'm going to give them a shot on this harness I'll be building for a 1JZ mk3 Supra.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I've never seen non ethanol in Arizona

It used to be available in northern Arizona.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I won't say never because I remember a time when the pumps used to say "oxygenated between November and April" but it has been a long, long time. Literally only race fuel here is available as E0.

Our gas here is complete garbage, ethanol or not. It's cheaper for me to go to a hotrod shop to buy race fuel than to buy it at one of the few stations that carry it. That's why I've swapped all of my turbo cars to e85. I'll be doing my dad's 76 turbo 280z next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Never knew that about rotaries and e85! That sounds scary, especially at high power levels.

Yea, I have hundreds of those molex splices, they're really handy. Mouser carries them as well, and they don't have a minimum order like Waytek.

This is the style I was talking about :
http://www.cycleterminal.com/splice-terminals.html

I've ordered some from mouser to give them a shot. I have some ok-ish crimpers that should be able to handle those, and they should be easier to to splice multiple wires for things like injector or coil pack harnesses.