Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

the spyder posted:

Anyone need a boat anchor?

Goons always want rotor paperwights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Z3n posted:

Up rates 50%, quote at +20% time a job would normally take. Anyone who balks you didn't want as a customer anyways. Charge according to actual time spent, which should be under the quoted amount, or cut people discounts if you like them / they don't cause trouble. If your problem is cheap assholes, easy fix, price them out up front.

Pretty much this for anyone who is self-employed. There's never a need to 'quit', just price yourself out of reach of the people you don't want to work for. Then if you do get work, it's for a price that's worth it.

I did this about a year ago, I now work half as much but make the same money, and for better, more successful clients which made my whole experience at work a lot more pleasant anyway.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Shampoo posted:

I quote them a stupid amount of money, and if they say yes, well, then I get a stupid amount of money. If they say no, then good.

Yep I do this too. I will charge based on how much I want to do each particular job. poo poo jobs get the "gently caress yeah" rate.

Also, I charge by the day. It's rare for a "day" to be more than 3-4 hours :)

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Sardikar posted:

What is that green tool thing please?

Yeah, it's a side can tap:

http://www.amazon.com/Mastercool-85...ol+side+can+tap

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Most ECUs like that from the 90s will have degraded electrolytic capacitors by now. Changing them all out is cheap and may bring the ECU back to working condition. If any electrolyte has leaked, this is a good time to scrub it off and repair any burnt traces.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Not wanting to derail any further, but this Makita 10.8V combo is the loving poo poo for working on anything made in Japan in the 1990's. 10mm socket? gently caress yeah.

I've had my set since 2010, have beaten the poo poo out of both the driver and impact, and they just keep on going. Dewalt makes a nice equivalent as well, I think the impact is even stronger on theirs.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

I've not seen that Makita set on sale for a while now. This Dewalt set feels even stronger. I managed to crack a 24mm (m16?) bolt that had been hand tightened with a 10" wrench, in just a few BAPs of that impact.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dck211c2t-10-8v-1-3ah-li-ion-xr-cordless-drill-driver-impact-driver/12703 Sorry for the UK link

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Does that odo really read 33400?!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Yeah poo poo thats what i meant, hence the surprise :)

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Good to know that the Mini performed its final duty well and gave its life to protect your family :britain:. And also that the car you dislike is gone from your life and will shortly be converted into insurance dollars.

I am insanely jealous of your workshop!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

It's a BMW, I guess some of their 'build strong cars' poo poo made it over to the Mini.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

That's pretty awful.

What kind of Miata are you going to buy to replace it with?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

I would buy a new ND in a heartbeat if we did not need 4 doors.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

I finally got to drive a Cosmo! I've had the front clips with mostly working electronics, but this things a blast. It's got low end power and feels like a luxury cruiser. The advanced electronics in it are hilarious. In 1990, it had built in GPS, a VHS player in the trunk, and the steering wheel lowers into your lap after the key is inserted.

The Eunos Cosmo was Mazdas answer to the Soarer UZZ32. Freaking awesome car that was way ahead of it's time technology-wise. I'd love to pick one up to own, but I can't begin to imagine the headache involved in fixing/replacing all the little things that must go wrong with these. Still, 20B!!!

If I ever come across an engineless Cosmo, I will buy it and 1UZ it. Sorry, but it's the only way.

The UZZ32 does the 'lowering steering wheel' thing as well. I love it!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

After reading your thread, I actually think there's less to break on a stock Cosmo then a UZZ32.

Probably gets better mileage as well.

Nice ST. Does it have the touch thing on the drivers door pillar where you can enter a PIN code to get in the car if you forget your keys? That was one of the coolest things I found at the auto show this year.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ford has literally been doing that for decades. My buddy's '91 Town Car had it. I beat on a FiST and a FoST at one of those Ecoboost Challenge events a while back, but I don't remember if they had the buttons.

That's pretty awesome. I've never seen or heard of it before, not even heard of that technology existing for cars (we use it on cherry pickers in the UK). Nobody I've spoken to about it has heard of it either, Must be a US thing.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

What do you do about the iron with the bad casting on the water jacket? Can that be welded and ground, or is it scrap?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

They look like the standard intake parts to me.

:O

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

mekilljoydammit posted:

recirculating ball steering

Erm...what the gently caress?!

I just watched a video of this and still have no idea why there are loving ball bearings in there or what they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYGNpQvvX6g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBFz6wfli7w

WHY ARE THERE BALLS IN THE STEERING BOX?!

Edit: ok, this shows it a little better, so the ball bearings are just being used as bearings to overcome the one-way nature of worm gears?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIM1AyxfYkw

I like the way this guy pronounces 'ball screws'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3i-Ecb698g

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 9, 2016

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Cakefool posted:

we don't have a glut of V8s hanging around in the yards to replace it with.

That's not entirely true - they aren't popping out of every car you see, but there are usually a few in any yard, and a few phone calls can hook you up with any kind.

Very few LS series motors over here. But plenty of Rover, Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Toyota V8s.

The issue is that we don't have any V8s with aftermarket parts or support. No fancy heads and cams and strokkkkkkker cranks for us, no sir.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Cakefool posted:

seriously who chooses a rover V8 these days?

You're correct. The majority of V8's which I see going into other cars these days are 1UZ's from LS400's. When you can buy a complete, running LS400 for £400, it's a no-brainer.

The supercharged Jag 4.0 from the XKR is cheap at around £600-£800 though.....

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Lol, this pic never gets old.

1UZ's are rather large for their output.

leica posted:

RX8's are getting cheap as hell now too.

In the UK, you can get a 'needs engine rebuild' 2005+ RX8 with otherwise low miles, for around £500. And a 1UZ for £300. Do you see where this is going?!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Raluek posted:

Don't all 1UZs come in front of an automatic?

Yeah why would you want to have to change gears when you can pay a computer to do it lol.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Cakefool posted:

UK goons: LS are rarer than rocking horse poo poo, what else is available?

V8? 1UZ, 3UZ, M62, any old rover v8 (most popular, mostly carbed, most of the previous generation would put these into cars)
I6? 1JZ, 2JZ, 7M, RB25/26
I4? 4G63, SR20, K20

Plus a million other less-well known engines that people have just pulled from cars because they are cheap. The old Vauxhall Omega and Ford Scorpion V6's are popular.

You will see more Aston and Jaguar V8's than American motors. Chevy small-block or 'LS' series, Ford V8's, etc are almost non existent....because cars containing these were rarely sold over here (only example I can think of is the Monaro, which was not a great seller). Our larger 'trucks' and vans, which use V8 gas engines in the US, are all 4cyl turbo diesels over here.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Renesis in a fire pit would be better use of that motor.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

On the subject of V8 RX8's...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172093269740

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

I was mostly posting because of:

Cakefool posted:

Would the 1UZ physically fit?

Because none of us knew. And now we know!

I wouldn't buy this - abandoned projects like this would be a nightmare. The last 10% of pieces could run into hundreds or thousands of pounds. Much better to buy a complete donor car and know that you have everything you will need other than what needs fabricating.

Also manual rack under an RX8 with a heavier-than-stock engine? No thanks. As long as the valve/tower fits, it's trivial to cut the ends off both lines and have new hose crimped on. Nevermind - I forgot it was an electric rack in these. Still...at least put a hydraulic Miata rack in

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 11, 2016

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Are you concerned about introducing bump-steer now that you have moved the steering rack and therefore altered your steering geometry?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Can you re-anodise both sets in black or something?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

BloodBag posted:

stupid question... how are you hoping to change that oil filter in that location? It looks like you could get it in there, sure, but removing the filter looks to be impossible once it's on.

That's a problem for future-Spyder.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Doesn't tach on those come from the CAS, which would be a bitch to wire up on any engine swap? And the gauge cluster on the RX8 is quite pretty as it is, a new gauge may ruin that.

I'm researching a 1UZ/3UZ swap into a RX8 and the drat tachometer is a huge pain in my rear end. Some people are double ECU-ing their swaps and running a second trigger wheel just for the tach.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 22, 2016

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

I was about to post these pictures, but with :can: as a description.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If you can't tell people about your auction, who turns up to bid on these?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

This is the one I want a caption for...

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

leica posted:

It looks like the guy did those ports with a Dremel :psyduck:

What's wrong with that? How else do you do them?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

I'm struggling with the sense of scale for that battery relocation. Is that a huge storage compartment, a deep hole, or a tiny battery?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

SpellEdge posted:

I am buying an rx-8 that will need a rebuild soon (for very little money).

Pretty sure RX8's are like boats. There's no such thing as 'very little money'. It may be cheaper to drop a RX7 motor in the RX8 than rebuild it only to have it fail again later.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

I'm not sure where to go from here

13B 20B swap

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

The issues are well documented, yes. I'm not sure that there is a definite work-around. Any precautions only seem to delay the inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

The problem with buying a used RX8 is that you need to factor in the cost of the LS motor which you'll be swapping into it.