Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

MEV Exocet. Glad to hear your brothers alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

If your Exocet is getting a turbo 13b, you'll be able to give Revelations a run for his money with his locost.

Shine on you crazy magnificent bastard.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

the spyder posted:

It's going to be a combo. The replacement Miata is currently drinking a quart per tank of gas on a "fresh" rebuild by the PO. What ends up powering this beast is a mystery, even to me ATM. I have a S5 NA block and a 13bREW sitting in the shop...

13B-REW, there is no other option. Unless you want us Canadians to try and find you a wrecked 20B Cosmo. ( I might know a guy. )

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

leica posted:

And just out of curiosity, has anyone ever went NA with an FD because they got sick of losing apex seals?

A couple of locals built a competitive GT3 N/A FD with 197whp. Granted its based on an ex-GT1 RE-Amemiya Smurf car but still.
In this specific case it was advantageous due to the class multiplier assigned because of the turbos and the doritos.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Montego Blue FD's are the best cars in the world - full stop.

Whatever you do, do not look up how much it costs to repaint/fix/etc a Montego Blue car. It's an 8 stage paint (iirc).

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

20B REPU? Or find a Mazda B2200 and a wrecked miata. Transplant the miata suspension subframes into the B2200 and then drop in the 20B.

Old school auto journalist special? Brown RX-4 Wagon?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

the spyder posted:

Considering I've had 3 show up on flat beds unannounced, they just come to me.

Yeah, once you get a reputation as the local rotary guy - they just start showing up. It pisses me off the no end that my local guy (Conroy whom I'm pretty sure the spyder knows or has heard of) gets not running RX's for free. To the tune of one every couple months.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 6, 2015

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Sgt Fox posted:

Awesome. So much rotary fun. I laughed at the screen captures of the compression calculator.

You are three man for creating that by the way. If you're ever in Alberta, I owe you a case of beer.

This thread once again does not disappoint. Excellent work. Any RX8 REW swaps in your future?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I am seriously considering buying up all of the used JDM engines in Canada from all the importers. They still go for $1500CAD here for the full long blocks (I've seen a few in Vancouver as low as $1300).

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

the spyder posted:

JDM engines are an option I'm exploring- but everyone wants $2k+ delivered to Oregon. I might have to save up some $$$ and make a trip to Cali or Vancouver for 3-4 engines at once.

With the exchange rate right now, buying 4 JDM engines from Vancouver might be worth it for you.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

the spyder posted:

Soon how much room do you have at your house for imported FD's that aren't quite legal here in the US.... lol

I have room for two running cars and about 8 long blocks in my garage.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Oh shiiiiit, is that one of the new Adaptronic modulars I spy in the background?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

I know there's probably other plans, but just throwing this out there: http://mariahmotorsports.com/gt-2-street-body-package/

I would kill a man for a FC Mariah Mode 6 kit. Actually, all of their "So 80's it hurts" kits for both the FB & FC really.

On the engine swap side, rotary swap everything! Celica, truck, daily, everything.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I'd be your first channel subscription. There's so much garbage out there in the rotary realm, some proper video information is sorely needed.

Edit: I am beyond jealous of those seats. If you ever score a set of Magnesium MS-01s, I will lose my mind.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

the spyder posted:

I'm debating if I should wait for the pallet of parts to arrive.

Can you at least tell us what country the parts originate from? We talking overnight parts from Japan via croooober? Racing Beat? Mazdatrix? A Kiwi or Aussie outfit?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Darchangel posted:

I can't wait to hear how someone managed to get that much sludge and junk in the sump of a rotary.

When my 13B spun all of it's bearings the pickup tube looked worse.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Awww yesss. Does this mean that the 20B mounting solution is finalized?
Hard to tell from the angle but does the engine completely reside behind the strut towers?

Good news on the job front?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

That's some impressive bearing wear. Oil starvation for an extended time period or high revs?

Edit: I'm starting to see that kind of wear on renesis engines that have used the factory recommended 20 weight oil for their entire life.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

n-thing the still following the thread and seconding the required reading for RADL members.

Also, now that croooober does scheduled shared container shipping, let me know when you're ordering next. I want a bunch of RX-8 goodies and Advan wheels from Japan and right now, the shipping costs are the only thing stopping me.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

n8r posted:

Is the rebuild thing just a matter of time or can you prevent it? I know there were a bunch of ecu updates at some point. I'm car shopping right now and an rx8 would be a fun option if it wasn't a massive pain.

Rebuild is 100% just a matter of time thanks to a bunch of engineering decisions on Mazdas part. Especially the MSP designation of the RX-8 engine and what that entails (let's move the exhaust ports to the plates without changing the side seals in any way). FullBoost out of Australia recently released a decent video covering all of the issues with the 13B-MSP.

OP is absolutely correct with the recommendation of a 2009+ due to those having all the tweaks Mazda could do to the engine (especially the oil injection revisions).

Edit: And the 09+ transmission is now a stronger Mazda unit instead of the Aisin from the NC Miata and FRS/BRZ

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 15, 2019

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Pure uncut perfection.

Absolutely :perfect:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

That's absolutely incredible. You're getting something extra for AI:SS this year at the minimum from me. Regardless of who is drawn.

Please don't ever stop building rotaries. (That 911 of yours needs one btw)

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Every single one of us would have made the exact same choice if presented with that opportunity.

:golfclap:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

gently caress Yessssss! You are officially building my dream car!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Finally, a Braporsche! What are you going to do with all the room you've saved in the engine bay?

Turbos, water to air intercoolers, turbos, meth injection, turbos?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Christ triangles are expensive

There is no more expensive horsepower than air-cooled Porsche horsepower.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

:swoon:

That looks amazing. I always thought that the 3 rotors sat further forward in the FD's if you kept the stock transmission location.

I had decided on not swapping a 20B into my RX-8 but now you're making me reconsider. :argh:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Awwwwww yesssssss. Finally something is working out in your favour (apart from your place not burning down obviously).

I've got the popcorn ready. I know of another CYM FD btw in Canada that the owner would probably part with, but it has been properly messed with (including running a GTX3071 that spools backing out of the driveway).

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Just FDs, but they're finicky about almost everything.

Yeah, both the 3rd generation and RX-8's have pressurized coolant reservoirs / AST's. All the issues come primarily from that. The factory throttle body coolant heater circuit also loves to trap air.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

That is most excellent. Congratulations. So how long until your wife makes it her DD or at the very least claims it?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Which swap kit did you end up using? V8Roadster, CXRacing? I've been eyeing up their swap support ancillaries to supplement the chassis on mine and was wondering if anyone had used them.

Nice to see more people putting the chassis and it's ridiculous stock body fender wells to good use. 295 wide square?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Every time I convince myself that no, I do not need to swap a 20B into my car, a 13B-REW will suffice, you go and post updates! :argh:

That looks amazing and from above, absolutely factory. Fantastic.

Have any of the goodies for the 911 engine swap arrived yet?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

boxen posted:

Project Binky is one of the greatest feasts of automotive fabrication I've ever seen, and I'm sure they've got enough leftover cardboard templates to make an entire cardboard Binky by now.

A paper craft Binky would be entirely on brand. They already released the tire to fender clearance gauge after all.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Bringing it back to rotaries and Mazda, did you guys catch Mazda Japan's papercraft models this summer?

https://www.mazda.com/ja/csr/social/kids/papercraft/

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I was always going to use one per port, so on a 20B, you'd use six. Stock lower manifold with an adapter flange.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

That's exactly what I plan to do with my REW except DBW instead of cables.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

the spyder posted:

Tool changer is fixed, pan has been updated (again...), and we're back on schedule!

Full steam ahead!

We left the dick, there's no avoiding it

This is awesome!

So uh, would this work on a REW swapped in to a RX-8? Asking for a friend... :ninja:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

the spyder posted:

And my pan base is finally finished. I'll see if I can pick it up and get it in the car today for mockup.

:perfect:

That is a properly chunky piece of metal. Did I miss why there are two rotor shaped cutouts instead of three? Or is this not for the 20B?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

the spyder posted:

At the end of the day, no one was hurt. None of the Mazda's were hurt, expect a minor ding on the Miata. The buildings can and will be fixed, with time and money. Nothing was lost, just a week of PTO. And I now have a reason to paint the Porsche....

So which of the two greatest Mazda paint colours is it going to be for the 911? Montego Blue or Competition Yellow Mica?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

the spyder posted:

But it's so good. I can't stop smiling when I look at it.

You're not the only one. :fap:
All 911's should be powered by Doritos.

Regarding the CYM engine, what's the quality of the Mazda reman blocks? Are the REWs better than the MSPs? If so, then double the cost could be worth it but I still don't think those extra thousands buys you that much more vs the care and detail you would be putting into rebuilding the core you already have.