Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Apologies if you've mentioned this (or answers to any of the questions below), but how many garage bays are you going with for the garage?

I'm assuming you're pouring the slab thick enough in at least one spot for a lift? Or are you going to go with a four post for mobility and storage options?

Are you going to do anything fancy like in floor heating? I ask because I've read a lot of comments that says it's a nice way to keep cars and the garage at a nominal temp without expending a lot of energy (and thus saving money). On the flip side I'm bothered by how susceptible they seem to breaking and how difficult repair would be.

Why the metal roof as opposed to composite or wood shingle to match the house?

Eventually I'll be building a garage too (though after my basement/garage is done), which is why I ask so many questions. I'm also in the PNW so I imagine you've already considered a lot of the things I'll have to consider too in terms of climate challenges, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

the spyder posted:

1) 2x 10x12ft bay doors
2) 6"thick slab with 16" O.C. #4 rebar
3) 1500ft of 5/8ths pex is being installed for a heated floor. You break it up in to zones and can shut one off if you have a leak.
4) Cost, this project is creeping up on $30k.

Pay a contractor- you will underestimate the time involved and the willingness of friends to help will decline the longer it takes.

I'm the only member of my family that doesn't work for the family run and owned contracting and remodeling business so I have good access to skilled builders, designers, sub contractors, etc. and grew up around enough of it, helping on sites during the summer that I'm half decent at the basics. The garages they've all done in the recent past have been wood shops though, which is why I asked about your approach to it as a car guy.

That makes sense about the heated floor being broken up into zones, nice strategy.

I'm thinking right now that I might be able to pull off a 22-24' deep x 30' wide foot print with one 8' wide door and one 16' wide. It won't be huge, or terribly deep, but I'm limited due to the size and shape of my lot.

Your cost seems in line with what I've been talking with my dad about, so I may not start mine until spring 2015 since I'd also like to at least mildly remodel my kitchen and main floor bathroom soon too.

Are you going to side it with? Metal there too? I asked about the metal and the roof because of the cost as compared to wood+composite roofing even with the longer life.

If I was closer I'd offer to come by and help :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

TheFonz posted:

Is it bad that I'm actually way more interested in the shop pics and progress as opposed to the FDs?

I kind of am in the same spot :ohdear:

Spyder, so does the rigid go down to provide a base for the pex to be built on/attached to and to minimize parasitic heat loss downward into the ground? I've never actually seen cement pad installation of heated floors and didn't realize this was the process so I'm curious.

The final set up of all of the pex looks awesome, and the picture you post of it the garage at night from a distance with the lighting and plastic up almost made it look like there was a fancy wedding or party that was going to be inside :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

I can smell the drying cement from here and it smells wonderful.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Awesome. Framing is so nice because it always makes a space feel that much more real and usable.

The concrete really came out looking great too.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

the spyder posted:

Correct, rebar unless laid out in a specific patter/load bearing setup, does not add to the compressive strength of concrete. It's main purpose is crack control. This is why ground prep is so important. Your concrete on top is only as good as what you pour it on.

This explains my cracked driveway :( (note: I didn't pour it, and it's so old it might be before they invented rebar :) )

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

You have to love this stage of building where the time you put in nets huge changes in the feel of the space.

Your work has been motivating me to push more on finish up the last bits and pieces of my own garage.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Based on your constraints if it were me I'd probably get the WRX wagon and good all weather floor mats.

But what I did with similar constraints in my own life was by the wife a Mazda Tribute (Escape) and by myself a BRZ. I've been getting almost 30mpg without trying.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

I don't know, based on your not wanting to get the 1 dirty and wanting something that you can get dirty and be ok with it being a commuter an Audi doesn't seem like the best idea. Despite not really being into the Hybrid stuff I think the Escape might be the better bet. Besides, if you don't already have an SUV or truck the utility will make it more worthwhile.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

I think given how many vehicles you already have you should either:
a. Say gently caress practicality and get the STI/Evo
b. Get a pure, but fun form of a good mpg vehicle like a fit/versa/xa/fiat 500

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

the spyder posted:

After three CL flakes, I'm just going to drive my truck for a bit, haha. I forgot how much I hated CL.

CL is such a weird place. I've met some of the nicest random people, but also interacted with some of the biggest assholes. I once got so pissed off at someone bugging me about something I was trying to sell that I told him I would rather destroy it out of spite towards him than let him own it :) :) :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person that likes the idea of owning a first or second gen rx7. Especially with a louvered rear window! I just need more garage space. Well, and time and money.

Spyder, I saw this the other day and thought of you: http://dirtynailsbloodyknuckles.bigcartel.com/product/fd3s-masters-fan-art-24-x16-print

Possible print for handing on the wall when the interior is finished?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

I also found you a wall clock:
http://society6.com/CaleFunderburk/787b-mXd_Wall-Clock#33=284&34=286

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Are you going to try to set up any kind of storage that makes use of the high ceiling? My Pop has a similar sized shop and he ended up building ~20' high shelves along one wall with a ladder on casters like you'd see in an old library.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Bostitch coil nailer hell yeah, I've got one too and just finished building 100' of cedar fence with it. :hfive:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

the spyder posted:

I've had constant issues with it over/under driving nails (which is partially my fault- the regulator on my compressor is dead).

Which nailer do you have? I ask because I've got the N66C which has 'dial a depth' and you're supposed to be able to 'dial' that away. The specific reason I bought mine is because it can take nail sizes from 1.25" to 2.5" and I can adjust the the drive for soft materials like fresh fencing cedar or harder materials when I eventually build a garage and need to do everything besides framing (which I have a Hitachi framer for).

Admittedly I haven't tried non Bostitch nails though as I found a case of the size I needed super cheap on Amazon prime.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Rhyno posted:

He said it's something else when I asked before but I dismissed his answer and assumed it is indeed a watchtower.

It's a well house I think?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Congrats on finishing and just in time for the rain and winter too. Now you can stay toasty and dry and work on cars and/or the inside!

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

I heard about scrubbing bubbles in AI years and years ago. It works especially well in dirty engine bays and while it leaves plastics a little shiny for my tastes for a nice car, it's great for the wife's car, or if you are trying to get nooks and crannies that can't easily be reached. The best is to get it at the big box or dollar stores when it's on sale because it can be kind of pricy and a can doesn't last THAT long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

I feel dumb asking this, but what in the heck are the black tubular things?