Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If I didn't live in the opposite corner of the country I'd take it off your hands :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good thing he only likes cars with 100 hp I guess :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I like the RX8 idea, you should be able to find one with a blown renesis pretty cheap, more than likely gonna be an automatic though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wait did you sell that mint black FC yet?

Perfect candidate.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Boat posted:

He's SOL.

Like he said, he didn't go through eBay communication channels to get the info from the seller, and as far as eBay is concerned, external communications don't exist.

He's not going through ebay, he's filing with paypal, and from my experiences with paypal they side with the buyer.

I got screwed by paypal on a bike I sold, a month after it was delivered the buyer claimed it was damaged and got his money back, and I got my bike back with a bent frame.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pretty sure you'll get most if not all your money back through paypal.

The only reason I even got my bike back was because I raised hell, paypal just gave the guy his money back without contacting me at all. Haven't used them to sell anything since.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I just flush with distilled water with the heater on full blast until the water runs clear out of the radiator. Then fill the radiator with coolant which mixes with the rest of the water in the system.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Larrymer posted:

It's not really feasible to flush it a billion times with distilled (for me at least).

It doesn't take long if you're just flushing out old coolant. Took me a couple gallons and it was good.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Larrymer posted:

This is what I was talking about. I'm not buying 20 gallons of distilled and dicking with it that way. Spyder is doing it how I would have. On a normal :airquote: flush aka drain and fill I would use distilled for sure.

Obviously if you're trying to get a bunch of gunk out of an old system that was never serviced (as in spyder's case) you want to force the poo poo out by backflushing with a hose. What I'm saying is, is that you don't have to do that to a system that has been properly maintained, all it takes is a couple of gallons of distilled water to flush out the old coolant, then add new coolant. Backflushing in that case is overkill.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sorry, kinda not into that :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

If you want to get girls, ride a bike.

I figured gay dudes would be more into the Lance Armstrong spandex look.

Unless you meant like BMX half pipe/dirt jumping or something.

jamal posted:

A girl asked me what I drove at a house party in LA once. When I said a subaru she stopped talking to me.

I thought BMW was always the answer for that :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

You don't know many women, do you?

None with bad taste apparently lol

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

EightBit posted:

Yup, my dog hanging her head out of my jeep draws all kinds of female stares. I'm a true goony goon, sadly, and therefore have no idea how to capitalize on it.

Wear neon tights and a goofy helmet to seal the deal, dog + bike gear = they can't refuse

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Can't wait for the :can:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

It's a 5.4.

If you look in the Panther thread, there's a brand of coils that supposedly re branded Motorcraft, I forget the name of them. You can get an entire set on Amazon relatively cheap, you might as well replace them all unless you've done a few already.

[e] The brand is Visteon, apparently a European Motorcraft brand. Looks like Amazon doesn't offer them anymore but Ebay does. The MSD coils are really good too if you don't mind spending a little more.

Also if that car was in the Keys or anywhere on the coast of FL there is a really good chance it was driven into the water on accident or on purpose, water surrounds roadways all over the place and people drive their cars into the water a lot.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 16, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Visteon is a Ford OEM supplier, they make everything from coilpacks to differentials.

or more likely subcontract them all out to other firms specializing in each type of product, depending on how their business model works. But either way, they sell direct to FoMoCo. I'd say they are most comparable to being the ACDelco of the Ford world.

Ah, ok. All I know from my Panther experience is that they are the only trusted "cheaper" coils other than OEM, and some people speculated that Visteon coils were just re branded Motorcraft.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks like you need to get it high up on the lift and pressure wash the gently caress out of the underside of it. But overall it looks like it's gonna be ok, how's the interior?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So are you going to Japan on a parts hunt?

Either way, make sure you find out where the best ramen houses are :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So is it just the Mini S that's garbage, or are the standard Minis garbage too? I wouldn't mind owning a standard Mini if it doesn't come with the bullshit that the S does.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

Like others have posted, it's a BMW. It has all the typical issues. Electrical problems, rubber bushings that fail, cooling systems that won't last more then 100k, leaks from every rubber gasket, ect. In our case, the only additional problems it had were mainly maintenance related. Like the throw out bearing exploding and shot peening the transmission casing or the CV's going out. I just don't want a car that has to have $500 dumped into it every 3 months. A "high" mileage mini, regardless of S/non S is going to be expensive to maintain. Oh and it leaked/drank at least two quarts every 5k.

Yeah gently caress that. I'm going to just buy a low mileage Mazda 2 and be done with poo poo like that. At this point in my life I'm tired of driving around rolling projects, I just want a DD that doesn't need anything but gas and oil changes now and then.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I mean, this is Automotive Insanity, but FWIW - the new Jeep Wranglers are pretty decent

Not for driving 16k miles a year they aren't. Wranglers are horrible DD's unless you have a ten minute commute every day. Especially for a family, I had a Wrangler for a DD when I was a bachelor on the beach and rode my bike to work, even then it was a PITA sometimes.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 22, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nice Weber, I've got two with one converted to a pizza oven :)

Oh yeah nice 20b too :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holy poo poo this is gonna be good.

the spyder posted:

Haha, I actually have it out there to pre-heat a casting I need to weld. Too many projects!

Lol. Throw some dogs/burgers on there while you're doing it unless it makes them taste like cast alloy :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha wow. Reminds me of the 4.6 vs. 5.0 pic.

An FC with an LS is probably the best budget swap there is. Although RX8's are getting cheap as hell now too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I've seen the pop up around here for under 1k fully intact with blown motors, almost all automatics.

You know it's bad when there's adds like this:

Spyder just think of all the money to be made replacing Renesis motors!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's a pretty good engine BUT....

Lol.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe for someone that knows their way around a rotary, like Spyder, but I'm guessing even he wouldn't bother with a Renesis.

And for the layman it's gotta be a hell of a lot easier to just swap in a pushrod V8 with a swap kit and be done with the Renesis. I know that pisses of the RADL but it is what it is.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I'm not condoning any LS swaps into FD's whatsoever.......But for RX8's have at it, seems like that's all they're good for now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

I did notice this gem on my Black 93 R1. drat it. It must have been from the toy yard years ago. I'm not sure how I'm going to fix it. A 36" prybar wouldn't touch it.

Couldn't you heat it up with a torch and kinda shape it back out with a hammer? With the control arm out of course......Or maybe heat it a bit and hit it with the pry bar again, but that might gently caress the bushing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Would you be willing to part with an ornament? My son is a gear head and he would love one of those.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Roadrunner is amazing, is that a Hemi or a 440? I can never tell the Mopar motors apart.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh yeah that's right, must be a 440 then?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

I leave in a few weeks for Japan and HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!

Whatever you do, hit ALL the good ramen houses in the area you're staying in.

Jesus I miss good Japanese ramen.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It looks like the guy did those ports with a Dremel :psyduck:

I feel bad for people that waste tons of money on hacks ruining their cars, that poo poo has to be completely demoralizing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mekilljoydammit posted:

And ideally you want to at least smooth the suckers up a bit with a grinding stone so they don't look like dogshit.

That's what I meant more or less, it looks like a hamfisted attempt at porting, but he probably figured the customer would never see it so gently caress it right?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Where are the pics?

And poo poo, I thought I was lucky getting a mint one owner Camry from a neighbor, odds of a mint FC from a family member are slim to none.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow, what a score. Drive it and don't ever sell it because you'll never find one like it again.

I'd keep it in for the winter though since you're in the great north. Get a good winter beater if you don't have another car already.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DirkDonkeyroot posted:

Power window switches dont work or work very slowly. Some genius in japan thought it was a great idea to pass the maximum rated power through the switches and arcs happen causing the switch to die. This can be fixed with a couple of spdt relays, beer and a soldering iron ill get you the schematics if you would like.

Haha this is the same thing with NA Miatas. I converted mine to manual windows because I was over it, and wanted to be able to put the windows up without the key in the ignition anyway.

Skeletard, Only thing I'd recommend is to tint the windows so the interior has some UV protection. Would make the car look better too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That and the stigma has ruined them. I bet there will come a time where seeing a renesis in a RX8 will be uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kind of irrelevant anyway as I don't think the desired finish could be accomplished by powder coating.