Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

cultureulterior posted:

I'll be interested to see if the Leftover Soup main characters get together, and how that affects the main character's war on PCP drug dealers. Seriously, the plot in this thing is very uneven. Still, the guy did 1/0 ten years ago, which built up enormous amounts of goodwill from me, and while it's a QC/DoA-style group of characters, at least I find it interesting every day.

I'm half-expecting Jamie to just get shot, and for the comic to end right there. Not even in the course of pursuing the investigation, just because he walked past fifth street on the way to visit someone else entirely, and didn't know that one guy had been told to shoot him if he ever did so again.

Anyway, Leftover Soup is one of those comics I enjoy, but I couldn't really recommend it, especially since there's so much better stuff out there. The characters all sound the same, like they're all mouthpieces for the author's opinions. And the below-the-comic commentary clarifying his own viewpoints in relation to his characters' just makes it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Meanwhile, in Multiplex... I'm not entirely sure what's going on. Is there another layer to this beyond "the new boss at the theater is both irrational and deeply touchy"?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Maybe someone knows what I'm thinking of, but there was this thing, less a webcomic and more just a collection of little shorts but it was about one of those creepy long black hair and white dress little ghost girls, but done in a cutesy style and it was about her going to school and stuff? With jokes? Does anyone know what I mean???

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://brandontheoutcast.tumblr.com ?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Meanwhile, in Multiplex... I'm not entirely sure what's going on. Is there another layer to this beyond "the new boss at the theater is both irrational and deeply touchy"?

Well, from the fact that she doesn't know the theater is shutting down soon, seems like she might have been sent because they didn't want her mucking up a theater that isn't doomed.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

yeah that's it, thanks!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
How do you read comics in order on Tumblr.....

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If all of the comics are posted in a single tag, you can click on the tag to go into tag view, then put "/chrono" at the end to view all the posts on that blog with that tag in chronological order instead of reverse chronological order. If the poster did not tag the posts, you're hosed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can add "/chrono" to tagged views, but not just tumblr pages, to sort things by chronological order.

If the person running the tumblr hasnt tagged their posts then it just plain doesnt work. :v

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Parts Kit posted:

The lightning panel looks vaguely Poda related, like when she spiked that sheep guy. Also if you've not noticed the dragon has the same pupils and also has suckers on its tongue.

You might be winning the prize, here, considering the division-sign eyes and the tongue-face-person looking rather octopus-like. Also the negative-space text, which has only otherwise been used by Madam Sylvana's projection back at the end of the original Poda fight.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Archenteron posted:

You might be winning the prize, here, considering the division-sign eyes and the tongue-face-person looking rather octopus-like. Also the negative-space text, which has only otherwise been used by Madam Sylvana's projection back at the end of the original Poda fight.

Actually, according to a post on the creator's blogs, that's more because Dragons in the Poppy universe are based on cephalopods.

Though in terms of who is speaking I had to dig back and look, but the eye in hand-thing in the tongue matches the symbol associated with the Specter of Fate that Poda is/is working for.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Go and read today's Dr McNinja (assuming you're a fan, otherwise it won't make much sense). Christopher Hastings is the master of long arcs.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Milotic posted:

Go and read today's Dr McNinja (assuming you're a fan, otherwise it won't make much sense). Christopher Hastings is the master of long arcs.

Good thing the last few storylines have been shorter than his previous ones. At least this is a plot twist that people will actually remember the origin of.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Poppy O'Possum has a really neat and different world. It's great.

Milotic posted:

Mother fucker

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'll start reading Dr McNinja again when somebody figures out how to get mobile devices to display mouse over text. :colbert: It's just not the same without running status updates on Hastings' creative process (eg. making little explosion noises while inking a page)

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Can anyone explain what the gently caress is supposed to be happening in Penny Arcade recently? It is completely, 100% incomprehensible. It's incredible how incoherent whatever story they're trying to tell is.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
It's part of another universe they're playing with. In this universe, monsters under the bed actually exist and parental figures have to fight them nightly to protect their kids. The particular story they're presently telling is about a family where the mother has died of cancer and the father is grief-stricken and useless, so the older sister has taken over the monster-slaying duties.

In other words: it's an extended metaphor.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They're finally uncovering the forces that are causing everyone's teeth to curve.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wendell posted:

Can anyone explain what the gently caress is supposed to be happening in Penny Arcade recently? It is completely, 100% incomprehensible. It's incredible how incoherent whatever story they're trying to tell is.

Jerry is really bad at writing comprehensible long-form stories in comic book, somehow.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Milotic posted:

While I can't deny this is masterfully done and I am continually impressed at how well Hastings weaves this all together, god dammit I'm tired of this villain. I realize he's the antagonist of the story and isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but I'm just so personally over him. Sometimes I feel like I should drop McNinja from my daily list and just catch up every six months or whatever, but I suppose I still find enough enjoyment in the day to day reading to keep it up. :unsmith:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah Dr McNinja's problem is it's really loving lore heavy at this point and it really does not like resolving plot threads so every storyline is packed a bit tighter than the last one

khy
Aug 15, 2005

On the plus side http://www.powernapcomic.com/ is updating regularly or at least has been for several weeks now!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rei_ posted:

Yeah Dr McNinja's problem is it's really loving lore heavy at this point and it really does not like resolving plot threads so every storyline is packed a bit tighter than the last one
It is the Sluggy Freelance of webcomics.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Wow, I forgot that King Radically literally just walked out of the place at the end of the last storyline. I thought there was some kind of time loop in place, but I guess I mixed it up with the unicorn guy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do wish that Hastings would feel free to keep introducing more crazy wacky villains, or at least bring back the focus to villains other than King Radical that he discarded. Where's Ronald McDonald McBonald, the Rock Mobster, Old McNinja, PETA, Dracula, or Hortense?

Nobody's making him stick to these weird time travel/alternate dimension stories.

Edit: Also, when was the last time he actually used his MD or PHDs? I liked the wacky diseases.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah I'm radded out.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I want more Doctor Mc and less Ninja.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
One thing I appreciate about Dr McNinja is how he always seems to be a bit out of his depth when he's dealing with the President. It's like, okay, you can go fight Dracula on his moon base but geez buddy who do you think you are that's the PRESIDENT you're just a small town superhero.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

Poppy O'Possum has a really neat and different world. It's great.

it's real good bit can someone explain to me what the gently caress is going on in the last couple pages and who these extra people are who I've never seen before but are now commentating the dragon fight incoherently

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's real good bit can someone explain to me what the gently caress is going on in the last couple pages and who these extra people are who I've never seen before but are now commentating the dragon fight incoherently

The extras are the Dragon-Fighting Magic SWAT, who rolled in, made sure the escapees were safe, then Poppy's Magic/Anti-Magic Shockwave made it too turbulent to teleport in.

The Dragon was doing some body horror manipulation gimmicks to regenerate some damage, beat Poppy up while taunting her, and shooting lasers out of assorted bodyparts. Poppy responded by biting her fingers and shoving Antimagic Opossum Blood into a Dragon (which is really really magical)'s artery (And actively used Oppossum Antimagic, if that's actually a thing they can do?). This did three things:

1) Created that "heartbeat" of Magic/Antimagic Fuckery, which had the extra unexpected/unknown effect (which may itself have contributed to the Magical Screw-wave) of
2) Disrupting the control/empowerment of the dragon by ??? The Negative-Space-Voice Being (Probably Poda or The Spectre Of Fate), who is grumbling at/threatening Poppy while
3) She suffers an arrhythmia from the stress of the fight.

e: Oh my god there's a new page and :gaz:

e2: After browsing some comic reference Q&A stuff, apparently an Oppossum's antimagic field is a function of their heartbeat, so yeah, Poppy was cranking it up pretty hard before it tuckered out on her.

e3: Ended up re-reading the most recent chapter, and, um, something about this painting...

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 30, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is that jerkbird's good twin

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Archenteron posted:

The extras are the Dragon-Fighting Magic SWAT, who rolled in, made sure the escapees were safe, then Poppy's Magic/Anti-Magic Shockwave made it too turbulent to teleport in.

The Dragon was doing some body horror manipulation gimmicks to regenerate some damage, beat Poppy up while taunting her, and shooting lasers out of assorted bodyparts. Poppy responded by biting her fingers and shoving Antimagic Opossum Blood into a Dragon (which is really really magical)'s artery (And actively used Oppossum Antimagic, if that's actually a thing they can do?). This did three things:

1) Created that "heartbeat" of Magic/Antimagic Fuckery, which had the extra unexpected/unknown effect (which may itself have contributed to the Magical Screw-wave) of
2) Disrupting the control/empowerment of the dragon by ??? The Negative-Space-Voice Being (Probably Poda or The Spectre Of Fate), who is grumbling at/threatening Poppy while
3) She suffers an arrhythmia from the stress of the fight.

e: Oh my god there's a new page and :gaz:

e2: After browsing some comic reference Q&A stuff, apparently an Oppossum's antimagic field is a function of their heartbeat, so yeah, Poppy was cranking it up pretty hard before it tuckered out on her.

e3: Ended up re-reading the most recent chapter, and, um, something about this painting...

ok i think I got it

it makes a little more sense rereading the whole chapter at once too

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 30, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ok but what's the big cat face going 'hey idiot you're super lame'

is that more dragon, it doesn't look like the dragon

Poppy taunted the dragon with a similar line earlier, it's manipulating its skin to mimic her face. Dragons are gross.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

Poppy taunted the dragon with a similar line earlier, it's manipulating its skin to mimic her face. Dragons are gross.

yeah I just figured that out, the whole thing makes a lot more sense when you reread the chapter all at once

where the extra monks came from I'm still not too clear on but at least I get what's going on now

also yeah formless shoggoth dragon is hosed up, man

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

ok but what's the big cat face going 'hey idiot you're super lame'

is that more dragon, it doesn't look like the dragon

It's the dragon's back. Remember this is a creature that can turn all of it's limbs into faces/heads if it wanted to.
E; Beaten.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

re: today's Poppy, I forgot who Henrod is and I don't remember the significance of the candle.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

fritz posted:

re: today's Poppy, I forgot who Henrod is and I don't remember the significance of the candle.

The candles were to mark the passing of time, a reminder of how much time Poppy has left, as apparently without all the life-extending magic that everyone else gets access to, she is going to die fairly young. The heart condition probably isn't helping things.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

fritz posted:

My guess is that Henrod was the original owner of Boulamgorio du Possum.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

fritz posted:

In a recent page, Poppy called Lily "Lilly Henrod Possum", so someone else in her family line? https://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-3-page-7/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

Morbi said Henrod is Lilly's dad.

• Locked thread