Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Biodome posted:

Those look great, thanks! Do you think they're gonna need an amp to sound decent as well? I don't know if she'll go for ones that need an amp.

They should be fine. They do suck down a little more juice than average, but you shouldn't be listening that loud anyway. An amp won't do much but make it louder.

They work well with a mobile device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

The short answer is: No.

The long answer is: NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

chippy posted:

Scientific measurements would suggest otherwise.

http://www.wired.com/2013/11/tnhyui-earphone-burn-in/

Changes can occur through fit, as well, and measured "burn in" is mostly below 1dB in ∆power sum.

Burn in may or may not exist, but it's so minor it may as well not. Pads breaking in, however, absolutely will change how you hear things in minor ways.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 29, 2014

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

misguided rage posted:

I picked up a digital piano recently, and I'm looking for some headphones to use with it. I think I've narrowed it down to either Shure SRH840 or Sennheiser HD598. Mostly I'm wondering about the Sennheisers. I've never owned open headphones before and from what I've read they might make it sound a bit more 'real'. Anyone have any experience/advice/opinions? Of course I've seen both of these mentioned pretty often in this thread, so I'm sure either one would be fine and I'm overthinking it.

The drawback is that they leak sound as well as let it in. Open backed cans have the nice upside of not closing off your ears from the outside world, so sound introduced by the drivers can appear like it came naturally from your surroundings.

In theory anyway. No set of cans is perfect for everyone, but the 598s aren't a bad start.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Sup bosgoon!

Not many people know about the ugly as sin Panasonic RP-HC800, but they're pretty much exactly what you described.

http://m.shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/RP-HC800-K

That price is msrp, so you might get a better deal on amazon or BB. Their noise cancelation is decent (read, a hair under 20dB) from 0-1kHz, which is about the exact same as the Bose QC25s. It's tough to do better without doing in ears!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

semicolonsrock posted:

Thank you! Looks like I can find it for much cheaper elsewhere online. Are in-ears really that much better at sounds canceling?

e: oh my god, this review makes in-ears sound better. Is this true?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2c2817%2c2423004%2c00.asp

In-ears physically prevent the sound from going into your eardrum, without pumping in more sound to cancel it out. Additionally, active noise cancellation can't block out incidental sound like someone dropping plates, people talking, throwing silverware down the stairs, etc. Anything using a physical seal in your ear canal will be much better at blocking sounds like regular office noise, footsteps, really anything.

ANC pretty much good for airplanes, subways, cars, buses—anything with long droning sounds.

e. If you do go the plain in-ear route, you can also pick up foam tips like Comply, or pliable ear-molds like DeciBullz to provide better isolation.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 24, 2014

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Ffycchi posted:

vmoda m100

These are the OG gameboy, the Nokia phone, the loving mithril of headphones.

If you do end up breaking them, you can ship the pieces back to vmoda for a Viking funeral50% discount on new headphones

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Cerepol posted:

Alright how are the molded IEMs?

Headphones are getting too annoying for me but I can't stand most IEMs are they are uncomfortable as gently caress. Do the molded ones make a noticable difference?

If you wanna give them a cheap try before you commit, you can give the decibullz a whirl.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

My roommate's bunny ate through the cable on my HD 650's. Would this be a decent enough replacement? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Replacement-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD414-HD430-HD650-HD600-HD580-headphone-/281645092022

Probably

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

/\/\ Check out the Audio Technica ATH-M50x if you're okay without a remote, the V-Moda Crossfade LP-2 if you need one (and want something that will not ever die)

Ehud posted:

What is the go-to wireless sports headphone at this point? I looked at this stuff a couple of years back and I'm hoping to go wireless this time if the market for wireless headphones has come far enough.

Here's what I'm looking for:

-Used for music while at the gym and working outside

-Gotta be able to sweat in them

-Battery life and ease of charging are important. Sometimes my Saturdays are an hour at the gym, followed by 5 - 8 hours of working outside.

-This is to replace some old Bose IE2 buds that are showing some major signs of wear

-The only thing I dislike about the Bose buds is the wire. I had a lot of trouble with it getting caught on things while doing yardwork. I'm really leaning more towards wireless. If you guys tell me that wireless is still meh then I'm open to corded again.

Maybe keep this in the $100 range. $150 would be pushing it unless they come with a really solid warranty.

Wireless is still pretty meh, but it's made good strides. You using an iPhone or Samsung?

Here's a few options you might like—feel free to completely ignore if nothing screams "buy me!" to you.

The stretch: Decibullz Wireless $150

Pros:
—custom mold in-ears you do at home
—sound is okay; it's BT after all
—wire connecting the buds hangs behind your neck, tough for it to get caught on poo poo
—battery charges using a normal microUSB
—comes with a case to port around
—was designed by a Wes Welker clone specifically for gym use—sweat included

Cons:
—not some audiophile darling
—the molding process is like doing the mouthguards you did as a kid. If you don't get it right it can be annoying to fix (use a hairdryer for this)
—dubious warranty

The Sure Things: JLab Epic Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Sports Earbuds $99
MEElectronics X7 mk II$99.99

Notes: generally follow the ISO226:2003 note emphasis—meaning bassy music, some downplayed mids, and cymbals/other sibilant sounds get emphasized. Basically, every sound you'd get in a :rimshot: gets a volume bump.

JLab Pros:
—perfectly normal, standard in-ears, but bluetooth
—IPX4 rating means sweat-proof, can handle a splash
—A remote

Cons:
—BT audio is eh
—"Limited lifetime" warranty, whatever that means
—reports of discomfort/annoying fit

MEElectronics Pros:
—a good company for inexpensive gems
—can reportedly handle sweat
—uses the aptx and AAC codecs for bluetooth, so they'll have the best audio of all the BT in-ears here no matter if you have an iPhone or Android phone
—Remote

Cons:
—1-yr warranty
—the memory-wire ear loop can be a little annoying

The Bargain: Huaham International Version Bluetooth 4.1 Sweat Proof Sports Noise Reduction NFC Earphone $39.98

Notes: colleagues at the Wirecutter wanted to like this one, but it's got its issues.

Pros:
—affordable
—build quality is good
—NFC

Cons:
—Audio worst of the three
—some people have trouble with the fit (this can be solved with the right Comply tips
—water tends to get into the charging port, but this isn't an issue if you're observant.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 17, 2016

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Ehud posted:

Using an iPhone.

Thanks for those suggestions. If I were to go another wired pair, what would you recommend? I'm not sure how much audio quality I'm willing to sacrifice after a couple of years with the IE's :smith:

fwiw the MEElectronics using the AAC codec will be head and shoulders ahead of other BT offerings because it can reliably hit that magic 320kbps bitrate where the vast majority of humans can't tell the difference between higher quality music or not. If any wireless in-ears could sound great, these dudes have the right tools—on paper anyway. BT audio has come a long way within the SBC codecs, but the gold standards are aptx and AAC. You most likely won't notice the difference!

...probably

Let me get back to you on the wired ones—there's a lot to sift through! I send people to Shure and V-Moda a lot because of a few durability features, but I might be able to dig up a good deal on some.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 17, 2016

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Odobenidae posted:

I have a question about the Audio Technica M50x: are the ear cups actual leather? I have a pair of M35 and while they're comfortable for a few hours before they bother me, the fake plactic leather on these is starting to dissolve and leaves annoying flakes of it everywhere.

e: Also, is there enough of a difference between the M40x and the M50x to justify the latter being $100 more?

I don't think it is real, but the upside of the M50x is that there are a decent amount of pads that work for them. Basically anything that would work with a Sony MDR-V6 or V7506 will also work with the M50x, so you can put on leather, velour, whatever after the fact.

I wouldn't know much about the M40x, but if Amazon has an okay enough return policy maybe try that? The M50x are the successor to the M50, which was a super popular set of headphones for a long time.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Pretty much any A-T paddle-band headphones.

You looking for a pair of commuter cans? By compatibility, I assume you mean a remote?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I have a pair of Shure E2 earphones that sound great, but seem to wiggle out of my ears and have never been perfectly comfortable; any suggestions on good tips, anyone?

I wish they had a remote, but I'm usually on a plane/vehicle for long periods; I have a pair of Sony XBA-C10IP I use for the subway that are nice (cord makes a lot of noise though, even clipped on).

memory foam tips own

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Open backs are for home or a studio :angel:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

Yeah, I just had these shipped to work and tried them out for 10 minutes at lunch. These are for my PC and TV at home.

You'd be surprised at how often people bring these onto the subway and complain about it!

But I think you'll be super happy with these in a quiet environment. They're dope af in the right setting.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

The set up I am imagining is as follows:
TV`s optical out -> FiiO E17-> ATH AD900x. Thoughts?

If the optical works fine for the FiiO, that setup should do you fine. You'll love those cans much more than your old HD280s :)

Either way, the ATH-AD900xs don't actually require all that much juice to run! A smartphone could do it. If your TV has a headphone jack you might even be able to get away without the amp—so you may want to just get the headphones first, then get the amp if you really need it.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I found some of these locally just before I went on a trip; they're awesome.

Thanks!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK it depends on which version of BT you are running. The newer ones have more bandwith I guess so its not a problem like it used to be.

Correct. APTX and AAC are :boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Any word on if a new version of the Jaybirds are coming?

considering logitech just bought them I'd say probably, but maybe under a new name and later