Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Do these perform better than the M-50? If so, I'll have to snag a DJ100 for $40 on Amazon to temporarily replace mine, they keep fizzing and popping in the left ear.

It's probably very debatable. I haven't heard the DJ100 myself, but I really like my M50.

Aside from being one of the headphones most commonly recommended by "internet headphone people," the M50 are probably one of the most vehemently argued about as well. A lot of people really like them and a good number of people really don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I'm going to vouch for the SBH20, sound quality is excellent and it is small, light and has decent battery life. Apparently Bluetooth now encodes at 384kbps so it probably is less compressed than your source.

Cheers for that. All of the music that comes out of my iPhone is either from iTunes Match or Spotify (albeit at the highest setting), so I guess the BT stream really wouldn't be the weakest link here.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KillHour posted:

I have a trip to Florida coming up...IEMs...

TDK BA200. Amazon proper has them for $150 but there are independent sellers on there listing them for as low as $100.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KillHour posted:

It has to be Prime eligible, since I'm leaving the 2nd of January, and used headphones are okay, but I don't think I can do used IEMs (eew).

Tbh, I was surprised that the BA200 were $150 on Amazon (last time I checked, they were $120).

I'm not sure about alternative "good" IEMs within that range, but I just used a $20 pair of Meelectronics M6P on some flights this past week and they were totally adequate. The triple-flange tips sealed quite well- waaaay better than the iPhone EarPods I was also traveling with. The sound quality won't be anything to write home about, but if the point is to save your hearing while competing with aircraft noise, then these might be good "travel phones" to bring along. They also come with a nifty hard case that takes up almost no room in your bag, so you could feasibly bring the Sennheisers too if you want something better for when you're off the plane.

Other than that- maybe the ATH-M50? :haw:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KillHour posted:

I have some cheapo IEMs that I could use. I just want to invest in a good pair of IEMs/closed cans. If I can't get that in my budget, I can probably stretch it up to $200. Just... don't tell my wife.

Edit: There's a pair of "Like New" used BA200's on Amazon Warehouse. I could probably deal with those (after giving the tips a thorough cleaning) if the sound quality is worth the money. Is it up there with the HD598's? If not, I'd probably either go up a step or wait until I have a bigger budget.

Are there no new BA200 on Amazon (I'm on my phone so I might be seeing this wrong, but the Amazon app says there are and that they're Prime eligible)?

As for their relative quality, Midorka posted a decently-sized review earlier in this very thread and has been generally raving about them. Word is they're some of the best IEMs on the market for under $200 and are competitive with ones that cost way more. I don't really have enough experience with $200+ IEMs to give you a better response though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

beergod posted:

Do I need a headphone amplifier if I have a decent receiver and decent headphones? I'm listening to vinyl pushed through it. It sounds pretty loud to me but I don't know if the amplifier makes it sound "better" or whatever.

Umm...it totally depends on the impedance of the headphones and the relative power output of the receiver.

Some headphones can work with low-power sources but sound noticeably better with dedicated amplification. Some headphones won't function properly at all without lots of power. Most receivers don't output a lot of power through their headphone outs and you'll need/want an amp in order to use those aforementioned phones. Some (mostly vintage) receivers output plenty of power, in which case you wouldn't.

What headphones/receiver are we talking about here?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 3, 2014

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I thought you said you had decent headphones :laugh: .

I'm kidding. But you probably won't see any appreciable benefit with a headphone amp. Your current setup should be fine. It might be worth reading through the OP and Midorka's other big posts in the early part of the thread if you want a better idea of the whole fancy headphones/amplification deal, especially since you're already into vinyl.

eightysixed posted:

Due to this thread, I'm interested in hearing what anyone has to say about Monster DNA headphones. The idea of getting a pair of brand-new, sealed $200 headphones for $100 is really itching my 'impulse buy' nerve. Any comments?

edit: Because, if not, I'm going to buy these (Sennheiser-RS120-Wireless-Headphones) that were recommended to me in thread a few pages ago which subsequently started a "dont drive while listening to headphones" argument somehow :( , unless anyone else wants to chime in on some wireless headphones :) Thanks! :cheers:

edit 2: Oh, wait :( Those Sennheisers don't have Blutooth capability, do they? I need recommendations on nice heaphones that I can pair with tablets, preferably not a typical "also made for talking to someone" set. Just headphones.

Umm- this thread isn't that long yet. I feel like 75% of the questions that pop up nowadays could be answered by a quick read through the backlog.

Anyway, Midorka reviewed those Monsters a couple of pages back and absolutely loathed them. I know his opinion isn't the word of god or anything (see our disagreements on the ATH-M50) but, IIRC, the whole gist of his review was "these headphones exemplify every reason why there's a big 'Avoid Monster' in the OP. They are terrible."

As for the wireless phones- if you're planning to use them while driving, then you'd be waaay better off investing that money in a bluetooth-capable car stereo unit (~$100-$150 from Crutchfield).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Now, an ideal setup would be to buy a good amplifier with a preamp for phono and a pair of headphones, as receivers typically have a very weak headphone output and are put in as afterthoughts.

Honestly, he can probably get 99% of the way there by running a decent headphone amp (like a $100 Schiit Magni) from the Tape Out on his receiver, assuming it isn't noisy or anything. He could also get a Modi as a DAC and have a nifty mini stack going next to/on top of the receiver. Or get a $35 FiiO Taishan DAC if only having optical/CoAx isn't an issue.

Also, if the cartridge is something like an AT95e or better then I wouldn't really be in a tremendous rush to replace it. IMO the realm of diminishing returns with carts starts to ramp up once you start going $70+ (I know that opinion might be borderline heresy to a lot of other vinyl dudes).

Edit: Beaten with this:

beergod posted:

This is my cartridge.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009MK3A/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can you elaborate on your ideal setup? Do you mean connecting the headphones directly to the table?

Yeah...your cart's fine. You don't need to replace that. And I think Xovaan means running the table to a dedicated headphone amp with pre-outs.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 4, 2014

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

beergod posted:

Does that all sound about right?

No. His suggestion entails that you bypass the receiver altogether and run the turntable through a phono preamp and into a dedicated headphone amp for exclusively headphone-based listening.

It's not specifically a bad idea, per se- but it does mean that you'd have to unplug and reconnect all of that poo poo if you ever wanted to play your LPs through your stereo or get a separate turntable/preamp just for that (so in my book that makes it a bad idea).

If you want to keep your current equipment, then you can easily run a headphone amp from the Tape Out on your receiver, which would bypass the receiver's amplifier stage and basically achieve the same function without requiring you to do any unplugging (you might have to turn the speakers off tho, but that shouldn't be a big annoyance).

As for your preamp, I don't know if it's particularly good or bad. If it isn't noisy then it's probably fine.

All that said, a potential third option (particularly if you're already the sort of person who can and would swing several hundo on stuff like headphones and cartridges and whatnot) is to go whole-hog and build a separate dedicated stereo setup just for vinyl and digital music (like from a computer DAC or AirPort Express) around a vintage ('70s era) receiver and keep the 5.1 setup just for TV stuff. Lots of those old receivers have headphone outs that are just run straight off of the same circuit as the speaker outs and can provide tons of power without the need for a separate headphone amp. Most tend to have really good built in phono preamps. They're also gorgeous and awesome and relatively cheap for the sound quality and generally just a great way to take your vinyl hobby to the next level without drinking too much audiophool KoolAid. All of the cool kids are doing it :getin: .

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

beergod posted:

So I can't just connect the headphone amp to one of the outputs mentioned above (monitor out or zone 2 out) and then plug the headphones into the amp whenever I Want to use them?

Jesus dude, just use the receiver's tape out. Plug the headphone amp into the tape out as if it were a cassette recorder and just select "Tape Monitor" or whatever the record mode is when you want to use it (you may have to turn off the speakers from the receiver too). It bypasses all of the internal amplification on the receiver's end and basically sends the signal straight from your phono preamp, or whatever input you've got selected, through.

"Monitor out" might do the same job- I'm not 100% sure. Check with the manual. As for "Zone 2," I'm assuming that's a speaker out and you don't want to plug an amp into that.

Edit:

Nice, that would've been my choice too.

On the topic of tiny Schiit amps, has anyone checked out the Vali tube thingy yet? I guess they kind of quietly updated their roster because I was totally surprised by it.

It seems to have a few notable shortcomings (relative lack of power and microphonics in particular) and I'm not a huge fan of the "the tubes are soldered in here" design, but I guess you can't really complain when it costs $120 and the company has a "send it back when they die with $20 and we'll replace them" policy.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 6, 2014

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

beergod posted:

I don't have a tape out (or anything clearly labeled tape out) which is why I asked the dumb question. I am clueless. This poo poo is pretty complicated for a newbie and I can't even imagine like an old man trying to set up a receiver, let alone install a headphone amp.

Sorry, I just saw your PM. Do your "monitor out" connections include video as well as audio? I'm not totally certain that your monitor out is what I think it is (which would be exactly the connection you need). Is there a way to select "monitor out" or "rec out" from the front panel of the receiver? Alternatively, have you got the manual?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Coming in with an early morning commute-post to say that the Fiio is unsuitable- not for any audible reasons, but because it's gently caress-ugly. :colbert:.

He's already bought a Magni, which is at least as capable (and lots of people, myself included, would argue sounds just as good as an O2) and looks a whole lot better. This argument y'all are having is pointless.

Edit: ^^ Assuming the monitor outZone 2 on the receiver is unpowered, he should have no issue running it from there. You're right about the Fiio's pre-out though.

Edit 2: Just checked out the manual- Zone 2 is what you want, I'd been wrong the whole time. And here I thought "Zone 2" was just the B-speaker out.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 6, 2014

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

"Zone 2" is an independent output from your receivers main speakers. It's meant, for example, to play a DVD through your home theater speakers while listening to the receivers radio tuner on a second set of speakers off in a kitchen, or in your case, through the headphone amp.

Basically, but I guess it's a line-level output. Based on my understanding of the manual it requires another amplifier/receiver at the other end of the connection. In that sense, it's different from the vast majority of similar dealies I've seen which are basically auxiliary speaker outs, but way more useful in this particular case.

beergod posted:

I hit a random button on my receiver remote and it randomly turned on. My god this sounds incredible.

Just for curiosity's sake- does turning the volume knob on the Sony do anything to the output from the Magni?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

beergod posted:

It does nothing. I can only control the volume on the Magni.

Excellent. That's exactly how it should be. Glad to hear it's worked out so far!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

beergod posted:

What do you mean by "if it supports a digital source"?

Digital input, like the ones he mentioned or HDMI or optical. Basically, if something has a digital input and an analog output, there has to be something in the middle that handles that conversion. Your receiver does that job for anything that sends it a digital signal through the aforementioned inputs.

RCA can only send an analog signal, so any input device connected to the receiver via it is outputting an analog signal by default. In the case of digital media devices like CD/DVD/BD/MP3 players and computers and so forth, it means that there has to be a DAC inside those devices doing the conversion, which can be of arguably variable quality when compared to what's inside a receiver or a dedicated DAC.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 8, 2014

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Yeah, I originally had the AD700's and gave them to her when I got my AD900's. I think she doesn't like that the midrange is more prominent and wants a darker headphone in general but I don't know what to offer her in that respect.

Beyer DT-990 Pro 250 ohm? They're $150 and ugly as balls, but they seem right up her alley and they'd pair well with that amp- and they're a steal at that price. If you want, you can pay an extra $110 for the sonically identical but slightly more attractive Premium version (I personally think it looks worse, all plain and bulbous and gray).

beergod posted:

I am seriously blown away by how my vinyl sounds with this setup. Thank you all for your help and patience.

It's all downhill from here. Once you get used to it, it'll become your new normal and you won't be as wowed by it but you'll always be disappointed and unsatisfied by anything inferior. Welcome to your new hell.

beergod posted:

I think it might be time to upgrade to a tube amp. What's good?

For headphones, or in general?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

japtor posted:

Aren't there fake tube amps for situations like this? Like a regular (and affordable) amp but cosmetically looks like a tube amp, including lighting up and stuff. Maybe fake sound distortion options too for all I know.

Maybe. But for $350 you can pick up a Schiit Valhalla and have the real deal.

By all accounts it sounds really good too- though some people say that it's too accurate and doesn't sound tubular enough for them. Aesthetically it's really pretty- though the tubes are a bit on the smaller side so you get less of that :pcgaming:eye candy:pcgaming:.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Realize that audio tubes emit almost no light. That Hollywood glow comes from LEDs wedged underneath.

You're absolutely right, or it comes from the giant fuckoff tubes that a lot of more expensive amps use in their AC->DC rectifier circuits.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ahahahahahaha :getin:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Just caught up with the thread after a few months out of the loop and I gotta say that I'm surprised nobody's had an opinion or verdict on the Beats Solo2 (!) apparently doing the impossible and getting rave reviews and making Head-Fi collectively lose its poo poo.

Now, to be honest, I'd only learned about this today myself in an article about the Bluetooth version's release. An early review says it sounds just like the wired one.

If that's true (and if the wired one's as good as they say) then I might end up doing what I never expected and Black Friday'ing myself a Bluetooth set to use with my computer and iPhone.

Also, some reviewers have commented on how these headphones could supposedly be really important for audiophiles in that they bring affordable, legitimately high-quality audio to the masses in a product that will sell like no other $100+ headphone on the market- thus, possibly changing the market demand for hi-fi.

Thoughts?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Midorka posted:

I gave the Solo 2 a demo and they're certainly not revolutionizing anything, nor are they excellent for the price in comparison to the the entirety of the audiophile world. Anyone who says otherwise is being hyperbolic. They are very nice sounding warm headphones, a huge improvement over past efforts and a headphone that I wouldn't mind owning. When throwing away the fashion phone mark-up they perform to a point where I'd expect to pay $150 new and think it were a fair price. They remind me a bit of the B&W P5. The reason they're getting hype is because of the shock of Beats making an almost great valued headphone. If these were Sennheiser's most people wouldn't bat much of an eye. Hell no one is really talking about the Urbanite.

They are a much better value than the B&W P5 and I don't think many would argue that. I would be embarrassed to wear them in public though, as I would with any fashion phone. I think these look a lot nicer than the past, but the culture behind them is one I wouldn't want to be associated with.

To put it simple, at $150 they are a great value IMO. At $200 they're a great value when considering only fashion based headphones. I would recommend the thinksound On1 over them though, as I think they look nicer and I believe they'll last longer.

I haven't listened to them personally myself yet, but I'll take all of that into consideration when I get a chance to look at them. I wouldn't expect them to be a replacement for a "proper" audiophile phone and I wouldn't consider buying a pair with that end in mind. There's a place for headphones that make you sit down and plug them into an amp and there's a place for headphones that you can surf the web from a tablet on your porch with or take to the library for homework or whatever. I've got a pair of M50 that have historically served that purpose but they're the ones with the long coiled cable, which is frankly pretty ungainly on top of requiring me to pull my phone out of its case in order to use them with it.

The fact that you call the Solo 2 a great value at $150 suggests that you like them more than the ATH-M50x (most reviews I've seen seem to slant in the opposite direction, but I know where you stand on the old M50 and I doubt your opinion's changed much with the new model), which would appear to be a logical replacement.

To be totally honest, I'm not super interested in the standard Solo 2 and I definitely wouldn't rush out to get a pair (or a set of M50x, for that matter) but I am definitely curious about the new bluetooth ones. Aside from call/remote functionality (which the originals also have), the pairing seems to be pretty quick and painless (at least with Apple gear, which covers my needs). If the sound quality's as decent as the originals seem to be then they might be perfect "everyday" phones, even out on the street. Regardless, I'll probably wait and see what comes down the pipeline next, especially with the whole Apple acquisition business. There's rumors about Lightning-based DACs and whatnot, and while I have no real optimism for any of that or for Beats to become a legitimately high quality manufacturer, time will only make this model cheaper at the very least.

As for the pricing, the Beats range has historically gotten pretty solid and consistent Black Friday deals, so I can't see any version of the Solo 2 being a bad option for someone in that context- especially since proper audiophile phones almost never get those sorts of seasonal price cuts. And given Beats' fashion phone business model, the Solo 2 should be available for dirt cheap in 2015.

I'll disagree with you on the On1's aesthetics, but that's purely a matter of personal preference. And while I'm really strongly tempted to agree with you on the whole "embarrassed to wear them in public" thing, I think that the Solo 2 are, on their own, a lot more attractive than the Sennheiser Urbanite. It sucks that they've got all of this baggage because I think they've got legitimately great aesthetic design and capitulating to it on the grounds of "not looking like those idiots who don't know any better" sounds more contrarian and insecure than it does noble to me. But at the same time, Will.I.Am.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Midorka posted:

I haven't heard the M50x, but I do have an hour or so experience with the M50 from a demo unit. I hated them then, but I recently acquired a pair. Unfortunately they have big channel imbalance issues. I was sort of seeing why someone would like the sound, but I think that was because it wasn't as "in your face" since the one channel was clearly imbalanced. I've heard a few closed ~$200 headphones though, including the Focal Spirit One and I would take the Solo2 over the Spirit One in all honesty and I think they serve a spot in the ~$200 range. I am going to try to give the M50 a fair chance though, I'll see once I find a pair used at a cheap price that doesn't have issues.

That sucks about the imbalance issues. They're definitely worth an honest listen and I would see about maybe sending them to Audio Technica for repair if you can. That said, my girlfriend's got a pair of M50x and they're more neutral and "honest" sounding than their predecessor (the M50 can be a little shrill by comparison). Since they're also the current model version, those would be the ones I'd recommend getting. They go for ~$160, but I'm sure that there are discounted ones available in the $100-$150 range (the M50 have been Black Friday'd on Amazon before so it's possible that the M50x will get that sort of treatment).

In reading up more on the Solo2 and Urbanite (they look a lot better than my initial impressions), I found out that both versions of Momentum have been price-dropped by about $100 since their introductions. The on-ear models apparently lose to the Urbanite in terms of sound quality but the word seems to favor the standard Momentum over the Urbanite XL. I might have to rethink some of my near-future headphone plans....

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ilifinicus posted:

their Momentum line already is way better in terms of ~fancy looks~ for those that for some reason want that.

Yeah, God forbid people want things that are aesthetically pleasing. They must be stupid or something.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
So the first reviews out on the Bluetooth Solo2 are all quite positive. Apparently a lot of work went into making these as indistinguishable from the wired ones as possible and it seems to have been a success both sound-wise and aesthetically.

The 12-hour battery rating is apparently spot-on and they're supposedly really easy to pair with phones and computers and poo poo.

I guess if you're in the market for bluetooth headphones with phone call capabilities these should probably be at the top of your list. They cost $300, which is expensive, but not unreasonably so compared to similar offerings from other companies.

I personally won't be getting any within the near future but these should become notably less expensive in some months (and the inevitable Solo 3 might be even better, who knows).

In any case, it's still funny to see every review include a variation on "I hate Beats. I can't believe I'm giving these things a pass."

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Wasn't the Q701 already like ~$200 for the most part?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

grack posted:

An adapter will make literally no difference at all unless it's faulty.

I'm not sure why you would think otherwise.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Clearly it's because I'm an idiot on the subject.

I had this same issue last year and you'd be surprised at how ungodly difficult it is to find an adapter of that sort of any decent quality. I ordered like 5 from different places and all of them were garbage. They'd be noisy or staticky or they'd cut out one of the channels if you looked at them sideways...

I ended up just pulling my phone out of its bumper case every time I wanted to use it with certain headphones. Maybe you'll have better luck.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Is the Schiit Valhalla 2 a good option for trying tubes out?

I've been reading a lot of "it sounds really good but it's not 'tubey' enough"and I'm really not interested in something that's gonna be super similar to a solid-state amp.

At the same time, I love the Schiit price, build quality, and aesthetics.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I listened to some Norah Jones and Yo-Yo Ma FLACs with my HD650s through my iPhone 6 directly and using my A/V receiver as an amp, and I'm not sure I could really tell the difference. Are my ears just crap?

Can the iPhone music player play FLACs natively yet? I know there are 3rd party apps that have been able to do it but I don't know about the standard player.

Did you import the songs via cable or iTunes Match?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Hey HeadThread, long time no see.

I ordered a set of Beoplay H2s on sale last week to use at work and I'm very pleased with them.

They're quite good $200 headphones but they're really excellent $130 headphones.

Makes me curious to try the second-gen H6 that Marco Arment and others were hyping a few weeks ago.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
What's the consensus on the Drop/THX AAA 789? Should I buy the hype? Should I buy this amp? Is this truly the "endgame" 'runs anything' 'last ss amp you'll buy' that the praise makes it out to be?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

redeyes posted:

It's filled with Zeos cum, that much is sure.

Indeed, you'd think it shipped from massdrop wrapped in lolicon.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It tests well, it sounds good, it's not crazy expensive and it has plenty of power and i/o. If you have headphones that would benefit from 6 watts balanced, go for it. If you don't need the gain or don't have balanced headphones, I don't know that you'd notice much over an Atom or something. Solid state amps aren't that exciting?

That's exactly my deal. There are a few (like 4) tube amps that I wanna get because they seem interesting, or have unique sound characters that make them desirable additions to a collection to me. But with SS all I want is like "what's the best bang-for-buck" "run practically-all headphones good" amplifier you got? It seems like this one can at least go toe-to-toe with stuff like the Jotunheim/etc.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Is it worth waiting for the T3s to go back on Drop? Like to keep going with the $100 budget- T2/Pros or T3?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Double post but it’s a day apart:

I’m not super familiar with how Drop/Massdrop works but it seems like things like, say, the THX 789 go back on sale every so often as enough people register interest.

Basically- the current 789 preorder run ends tomorrow and I don’t really want to drop $400 on a headphone amp right now given that I just bought some monitor speakers. But I’m wondering if I’ll be ok on getting one in the reasonably near future. IIRC this is the second batch they’ve put out, but I don’t want to wait another two years or whatever. Is it reasonable to expect another order cycle within the next year or so?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Just get a JDS Labs Atom.

It’s not as pretty as the Magni.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
T2/Pro or T3?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I love the M50/M50X and I love that they can take a beating. A lot of audiophiles turn their noses up at them because they’re super hyped up and definitely on the bassier side, but they’re the number 1 recommendation to newbs for a reason.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thoom posted:

That's what I feared. I think I'll probably start with some Chinese clones, if only for the sake of USB-C charging. I'm much pickier about comfort/convenience than I am about audio quality.

Thanks!

Are the new Beats Fit or Audio Technica buds too much like IEMs?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm hoping this is the right place to ask because all the amazon reviews and headphone reviews I've read are utter trash.

What's a good set of earbuds or headphones for the gym? I mostly do lifting and my previous pair was tossed because I got tired of them falling out all the time.

I'm looking at a budget of about 50$ and would be open to stuff a bit more expensive if its worth it. I prefer wired to wireless but, it doesn't really matter.

Costco has the Plantronics Backbeat Fit for $50, which is a heck of a good deal. They’re Bluetooth but I’ve come to appreciate that in a gym/running/commuting by public transit/walking around in lab while my phone’s plugged in set of headphones.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SoftNum posted:

Budget - up to $500 to solve
Source - 2 laptops, phone, desktop, tablet (see below)
Isolation Requirements - Yes
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM (I sleep in IEMs sometimes because my partner snores)
Preferred Tonal Balance - N/A
Past Headphones - cheap garbage IEMs and Corsair VOIDs
Preferred Music - Techno, Metal, Alternative

So, ideally I would like to come up with one solution for my sound needs. None of my sources are terribly high quality (mostly streaming music and conference calls). The issue I have is that I need to transfer from device to device multiple times a day as I join conference calls. I also need a mic, but I don't know what to do about a mic if I get IEMs without it included. My ideal situation id getting a Bluetooth DAC/AMP with a mic and a nice set of IEMs; where the DAC has functionality to easily/quickly swap source, but I don't even know that such a thing exists. I'm OK with a mini stereo plug that gets moves between sources too, but this seems less ideal. I use the devices I have now like 8-10 hours a day, plus overnights as mentioned above 2-5 times a week. I keep wearing out or breaking IEMs (No physical damage but one or the other of the monitors ends up sounding like poo poo). Is there a solution to this? Or do I just keep buying $20 lovely IEMs and replacing them when they break.

Not sure I follow. What breaks on the IEMs? The driver? The cable? You could maybe get some IEMs with removable cables but those start to add up in cost too.

Do you expect this stuff to move around with you? Are you stationary when you want to switch between all of these devices or do you want to seamlessly switch from, say desktop to laptop 1 in a different room to tablet on the move with you to phone in your pocket? I suppose what I’m asking is how many of these devices should be plugged into one device (IE a dac or receiver/preamp or whatever) vs Bluetooth vs something else.

What kind of devices are they? I assume the phone and tablet are Android devices since you didn’t name them as iOS. What about the computers? Mac? Linux? Win? What are we working with here? USB outs? Optical? Analog only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SoftNum posted:

On the lovely IEMs I buy now I assume it's the driver that breaks. One side will start sounding weak and muffled. There's no obvious damage or frayed cable or whatever.

When I am switching I am sitting at my desk. All the devices are at the desk in front of me. I have literally one of everything except iOS (Mac, Widows laptops, linux desktop. Android phone & tablet) The laptops have normal headphone out ports and USB-C. The desktop has Optical S/PDIF and various analog line outs from on board chipset (also USB ports of many varieties). Phone has headphones out and USB-C. Tablet is older and has like micro-A and headphones out (THis lives mostly next to my bed to generate white noise for when I sleep. It's lowest priority to solve for me)

Thanks for any help you can provide. I hope this helps!

Do you need mic in to all of them? Which ones do you need to mic into?