Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

I am. That doesn't mean we don't all need a reminder to be a little less beholden to Internet Experts and the whole Flavor of the Month-ism that drives this and other hobbies. If somebody is gonna lay out a few hundred bucks on something, it needs to be for actual reasons, not Head-Fi bullshit nerd vendettas. I would be pretty pissed if I spent my money on something one week, just to hear the same person who was badmouthing it do a compete about-face the next.

People are always going to have opinions on things, and when you ask their opinion, that's what you're going to get. I think it makes complete sense to warn people off products that may have issues. Even if they turn out fine, there are a ton of other good products to get instead, and it's not worth the risk. We should stop recommending something when potential issues crop up, and start recommending them again when those issues are addressed, not going "oh well, it's probably fine."

Same thing with Gigabyte motherboards. Most people won't have an issue, but why risk it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

redeyes posted:

Say what?! It sounds like the driver is being torn in pieces, its not a nice sound in my ear. Also, if I just push on the bud while in my ear it does that rotten crinkling sound.

What do you think?

He's saying it doesn't damage the IEMs or indicate a defect. I'd say if you need to keep pushing them in, you need tips that fit you better. If it really drives you nuts, you can try another pair, but I don't know which ones do it off the top of my head.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Protons posted:

Got my Grado SR80i today, and I believe I'm going to be thoroughly impressed once the burn in is done. I don't even really need it they sound so good already. I listened to some calm Opeth where Akerfeldt actually vocalizes without screaming and plays acoustic, and it sounded *fantastic*.

This jealous dumby I work with put them on, pulled up freemixtapes.com or whatever, listened for 10 seconds, and declared that his knock-off Beats sound better.

"Burn in" isn't a real thing when you're talking about speakers/headphones. If your headphones sound different after using them, you broke something.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 24, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Midorka posted:

That's not true at all. I've listened to more headphones than most people have seen in real life and can promise you that some headphones benefit from being used. Grado SR80i aren't one of them, but some do. Whether it be the pads softening and creating a better seal or the drivers themselves changing, it happens.

I could see the pads compressing more making a difference (although that's not what most people think of when they reference "burn-in"), but what specifically would change in a driver from use that could make it sound better? Genuinely curious, because nothing in the magnet itself is going to change, and any change I can think of from the diaphragm would be material fatigue and make it sound worse.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Protons posted:

Do a lot of people use those fIIO amplifiers? It must be a pain to lug around your ipod and that amp with cables running all over just to listen to some Nickleback.

I use one at home and work. Then again, I typically don't listen to my HD-598's on public transportation or walking around.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Midorka posted:

I thought that was the case, but a Headfile review checked it out and they use the same drivers.

And now this makes me mad that I spent $300 on the 598's. I mean, they're great cans, but... gah.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jose Pointero posted:

Going on a 14-hour flight in a couple weeks, so I'm looking for a decent portable headphone amplifier to be used with an iphone 5. Searching on Amazon, I see a lot of FiiO brand amps, and the prices look decent, but are they actually any good? Recommendation for a specific model or brand would be very helpful. This one looks neat and I like that it can be used as a DAC as well, but something tells me it won't last long on battery power. The amp I get will hopefully be able to last for most of the flight. If I can get a decent one for about $100 I'd be very happy.

I'm also open to ideas for some IEM's that don't break the bank. I have some decent earbuds but the wire is starting to crack open so they won't last much longer. I'm partial to Grado so the GR8 is tempting, but $299 is more than I'm prepared to spend right now. Some suggestions in the $150-ish range would be appreciated!

I've always loved my Fiio E17.

More than loud enough, and it pulls double duty as a portable DAC, as well.

Battery life is no problem with it. I've used it on very long (10+ hour) car trips no problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E17-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0070UFMOW

Alternatively, if you're looking to blow your eardrums out:

http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000038732625&MenuID=105026001

Edit:

This is a must have for flights, if only to keep your phone from dying:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10831&cs_id=1083110&p_id=10392&seq=1&format=2

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 10, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pudgygiant posted:

You don't want balanced headphones, I thought the same thing and intentionally lost my Beyer T70. They make music sound so boring.

That's what software equalization is for. Flat frequency response is much more flexible with proper EQ than v shaped or bass heavy cans.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Midorka posted:

I have no idea, but using a portable amp with 10 ohms output isn't helping. I prefer my iPod Classic stock most times it seems.

The ALO Rx Mk3-B+ claims <1 ohm output impedance, and seems to get great reviews.

http://www.aloaudio.com/rx-mk3

Even someone as dedicated as you might think twice about dropping 650 bones on a portable amp, though.

Edit: They also sell $200 headphone cables and $150 external power supplies, so my first impression is that their specs are probably bullshit. Still, I'd definitely love to see you give them a review.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 23, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

I like the ODAC with speakers, still looking for an amp like the Asgard 2 to drive IEMs on my desktop.

In other news, I spent a week with custom IEMs, ten drivers each side. Totally amazing, but had a fit issue so I sent them back for refit. Will also likely tweak the design to get something more incredible so they look as amazing as they sound.

I think you should see a support group for this.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

the kawaiiest posted:

Thanks, I will look at these too! I definitely don't want a very large one.

I've never heard them, but the Skullcandy Aviators get pretty good reviews. Available in a ton of color options, too:

http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-S6...llcandy+aviator

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Midorka posted:

I just finished my review of the TDK BA200 which I will post tomorrow after editing, but holy gently caress. These IEMs are a must hear and my new favorite IEM that I've ever heard. They make me not feel bad about selling my Audio Technica Ad2000 and from what I've read they sound like they're baby HD650. Well loving done TDK these are going in the buying guide, the first new addition in over 6 months mind you. These would have a spot on my hall of fame wall if I had one.

See? And I was just coming to see what IEMs in the $100 range I should spring for.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Midorka posted:

I just finished my review of the TDK BA200 which I will post tomorrow after editing, but holy gently caress. These IEMs are a must hear and my new favorite IEM that I've ever heard. They make me not feel bad about selling my Audio Technica Ad2000 and from what I've read they sound like they're baby HD650. Well loving done TDK these are going in the buying guide, the first new addition in over 6 months mind you. These would have a spot on my hall of fame wall if I had one.

How good is the isolation on these? I have a friend looking for some for long plane rides to drown out the engine noise.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

glompix posted:

Is it hooked straight up to the PC's headphone jack, or do you have a DAC/amp? Either way, I wouldn't spend a dime on this and would just use either media keys or AutoHotKey. I don't know what kind of adjustments you're making, but they sound temporary or minor. If you have a DAC, yes that would technically degrade the quality a bit, but would it be too much? If you're plugged straight in, then the quality wouldn't be any different when changing the OS volume anyway.

Speaking as someone with an external amp, the big volume knob is REALLY nice for changing volume in a game. I could see why someone would want one without an amp.

You'd be looking for an attenuator like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Patch-Passive-Volume-Attenuator/dp/B000T9K8ZO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1380835480&sr=8-4&keywords=audio+attenuator

That being said, for just a little more money...

http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E10-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005VO7LG6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1380835610&sr=8-3&keywords=fiio+desktop+amp

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Incredulous Dylan posted:

So they came in today. I listened to Bach's St. John Passion (a choral and orchestral work with tons of texture) off of my Hanssler edition and these are exactly what I've been looking for. I can just close my eyes and imagine I've paid a lot of money to be at an amazing performance. I can hear the loving echo and vibrations off of the walls when the tenor has a solo part in the hall they recorded this piece at! I'm putting my HD 598s up for $180.53 ($175 after paypal fees) in SA Mart if anyone is interested.

vvv Oh god....the sibilance on this track!!!! Better get my wallet

If anyone is on the fence, less than 200 bucks for the 598s is a fantastic deal. I paid 300 for mine, and it was worth every penny.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

WugLyfe posted:

You could plunk a couple bucks down for an ear canal irrigation kit from the drugstore. Just be sure you follow the instructions to the letter.

It won't solve all your problems, but it might prevent excessive wax buildup.

This. My dad and I have wax-buildup issues, and we have to irrigate at least weekly. Alternatively, you can go to an ENT and they can remove the wax with a special tool, but that gets expensive.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have a trip to Florida coming up (12 hour plane ride, yay!). My HD598's aren't exactly the best for public transport due to terrible isolation, so I'd be looking for a recommendation for IEMs or sealed cans. I figure IEMs will probably give me a better price:performance, but I'm open to anything, really. I have a $100 gift card to Amazon, and I'd like to keep it around that mark. I generally prefer a flat response, and listen to tons of different music genres. I will be using my HTC One with these, but I have a Fiio e17 that I can use as a portable amp, so feel free to recommend cans with a higher impedance, if necessary.

Good, clear sound is a huge deal for me, so I'd like to avoid anything that sounds muddled.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

TDK BA200. Amazon proper has them for $150 but there are independent sellers on there listing them for as low as $100.

It has to be Prime eligible, since I'm leaving the 2nd of January, and used headphones are okay, but I don't think I can do used IEMs (eew).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Tbh, I was surprised that the BA200 were $150 on Amazon (last time I checked, they were $120).

I'm not sure about alternative "good" IEMs within that range, but I just used a $20 pair of Meelectronics M6P on some flights this past week and they were totally adequate. The triple-flange tips sealed quite well- waaaay better than the iPhone EarPods I was also traveling with. The sound quality won't be anything to write home about, but if the point is to save your hearing while competing with aircraft noise, then these might be good "travel phones" to bring along. They also come with a nifty hard case that takes up almost no room in your bag, so you could feasibly bring the Sennheisers too if you want something better for when you're off the plane.

Other than that- maybe the ATH-M50? :haw:

I have some cheapo IEMs that I could use. I just want to invest in a good pair of IEMs/closed cans. If I can't get that in my budget, I can probably stretch it up to $200. Just... don't tell my wife.

Edit: There's a pair of "Like New" used BA200's on Amazon Warehouse. I could probably deal with those (after giving the tips a thorough cleaning) if the sound quality is worth the money. Is it up there with the HD598's? I'm honestly getting the upgrade itch with my Sennheisers, so if they aren't up to at least that level, I'd probably either go up a step or wait until I have a bigger budget.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 29, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ended up getting the "Like New" used BA200's. I guess I can clean the tips with rubbing alcohol or something. Ended up having to spring for 1 day shipping to make sure they got here on time. Went over my gift card by 3 bucks, so not a bad deal.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Squibbles posted:

I guess this isn't directly headphone related but here it goes.

I currently have a turtle beach PX21 headset that is starting to break because turtle beach seems to love making stuff that uses the thinnest possible plastic connectors. The main reason I bought this headset in the first place was because it can take 2 audio sources (one via 3.5mm and one via USB) and play them both through the headphones simultaneously with the ability to adjust each volume input individually. It works really nicely for gaming while using skype/voice chat since I can quickly change the volume of one or the other if they need tweaking.

I want to know if there is a stand-alone unit that can take 2 audio signals from my PC and combine them into a single headphone output so I am not restricted to using the flimsy turtle beach stuff that feels like it's going to snap in half every time I pick it up. Monoprice sells an 8 line mixer that might do this? 8 lines seems like overkill though, if it would even work for this type of application. When I search for audio mixers they all seem geared toward multiple microphone inputs rather than line(?) inputs from a PC. I also found this Behringer 302USB thing on amazon but again, I don't know if that's really what I need or not. The instructions on their website are super bare-bones and all the reviews just talk about using it for recording.

Is there a name for this kind of product other than just an audio mixer? It's tough to find solutions when I don't even know what I should be searching for.

I have the Behringer Q802USB, and I know that one will let you do what you want (mix a USB and analog stereo source to the headphone output). It looks like the 302 will let you do that as well, but you won't have independent volume controls (You'd have 1 control for USB -or- Line in, and 1 control for the master headphone output, but no control for the 2-track input). It will work, but if you wanted to, say, increase the volume of your analog input, you'd have to increase the volume of your headphone mix and decrease the volume of your USB input at the same time.

The 502 will give you that functionality for 10 bucks more, but doesn't have RCA inputs, so you'll need to use RCA to 1/4 inch TS adapters.

The problem is that these weren't really designed for what you're trying to do, so you need to buy a larger one to give you the flexibility you're looking for. Also, my 802 has rather noisy components. Noise is easily audible if I don't keep the gain really low. Makes sense when you consider that competitive products from other manufacturers cost 2-3x as much.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 29, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My BA200's came in. First impressions are good. However, "Like New" should mean that the flanges don't have visible ear wax on them. :gonk:

As an aside, if anyone out there is using the Fiio E17 with the E09K, remember to use the "hold" switch when docked. The screen is OLED, which will break down under use (especially blue pixels, for some reason). Anyways, long story short, after using the thing docked for a year, I have "USB 20" permanently burned into my screen (It's kind of a weird backwards-burn. You can't see it when the screen is off, and the pixels are dimmer than the surrounding ones). It's still usable just fine, but it's kind of annoying.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 2, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Ideally it would go Record Player --> Phono Preamp --> (L/R preamp out to L/R in) Amplifier --> Headphones, but you may be able to do Player --> Phono Preamp --> Receiver, through Tape Out --> Amplifier --> Headphones, but I don't know much about receivers nor their bypass functions to

He could go with the fiio e09k for a headphone amp. That way he could go deck -> preamp -> headphone amp -> receiver -> speakers. He'd have the choice of controlling the speaker volume with the fiio or using the line outputs, and could add an e17 to turn it into a dac/amp stack later. Super flexible.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Xovaan posted:

The e09k isn't really a proper driver for high impedance headphones though. At the very least, a Schiit Lyr or a Bottlehead Crack are the two contenders for a potential match for HD650's if he's looking for a solid upgrade to his receiver under $1000.

I'd recommend perusing head-fi with search terms like "best amp for hd650" for ideas as to what's out there. Also see what headphonia recommends for pairings as well.

The e09k is pretty powerful. It drives my 598s into serious hearing damage range at the very least. I don't think it would have any trouble with the 650s.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 6, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The reason I posted the fiio was that it has both preamp and line outputs, allowing beergod to put it in the simplest place in the chain (between the preamp and the receiver). The amp he bought is very good, but lacks this functionality. Now he's going to have to figure out how to hook it up. Also, all this crap about attacks or whatever is bullshit.

Edit: looking at that manual, you either want to hook it up to your zone 2 outputs (if you're not using them) or buy some rca splitters for between the preamp and the receiver.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 6, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

beergod posted:

So if want to listen to, say, my TV through my amp, I would need to get an analog audio output going from my tivo into my receiver, then select the receiver to output that source through zone 2. Does that sound about right, since zone 2 only supports analog audio?

Yes, that's exactly what you would have to do. It's kind of a pain in the rear end. If the device you want to listen to doesn't have an analog output, you're SOL.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

beergod posted:

I think it might be time to upgrade to a tube amp. What's good?

Slow down there, chief. Is there something specific about the Magni you don't like, or is this based on "everyone says tube amps are better for vinyl"? Tube amps have a very different sound, and really should be listened to before buying. I personally don't even like the sound, so it's more of a personal thing than a straight improvement. See if there is a HiFi shop near you and give them a listen.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Have people had issues with the build quality of the BA-200's? The pair I just got from Amazon Warehouse fell apart in my ear on the airplane. They still work, but the glue holding the case together was completely gone, and some of the wires were frayed inside. Does anyone know if Amazon Warehouse accepts returns/exchanges for products that fail within the first 30 days?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

beergod posted:

My E07k is arriving today so I want to make sure I have everything I need to listen (making a radioshack run).

Since lightning does not have analog out, what is the best way to connect my idevices? What cables do I need?

What about my white. 2010 macbook? Just a USB to 3.5mm cable?

USB to 3.5mm cable doesn't exist. A DAC bypasses your computer's sound card, so it's just USB to mini USB. Are you using this with the Magni?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ffej posted:

Looking into this option..thank you.

I'd do the E17 and E09k. They're the updated version.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ffej posted:

Thank you for this option. I'm starting to really like this option over the Schiit Modi/Magni stack the more I think about it. I can't switch between headphone and speaker listening with the Modi\Magni stack automatically. I would have to unplug the RCA cables from the Magni and plug them into my Audioengine A5+ speakers and vice-versa to make the switch. I'm not sure if using an RCA splitter (like this or this) to output from the Modi to input into the Magni and the A5+s is a good idea or not. With the splitter audio would be played out of the headphones and the speakers at the same time. The headphone volume would be controlled by the Magni and the speaker volume would be controlled by the knob on the A5+s...or I could use the volume control on the PC to control both. Is that such a big deal?

The Fiio E17 option gives me a portable dac and headphone amp and the E09k gives me outputs for my headphones and my speakers for only $40 more that the M&M stack.

I could go Schiit Asgard 2\Modi stack as the Asgard amp has rca outs but it is $200 more than the M&M stack and $160 more than the Fiio.

Analysis to paralysis...

I have the E09K and E17 stack, and I use it in the exact same way. The only real downside is that there's no way to turn off the outputs on the E09K, so you have to do it at the amplifier. Other than that, it works great.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lady Gaza posted:

Weird question, but my headphones are faulty and when I emailed to ask for a warranty repair, they said to sever the headphone cord, take a picture, and then they'd send me a new pair.

Is this normal? Apparently it's due to the costs of international shipping (I'm in the UK, the company is in the USA). I'm assuming that a photo of the cut headphones means they know I'm not just trying to get an extra pair.

That's a pretty standard thing that manufacturers tell retailers to do, so I guess them asking you to do it isn't THAT strange.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Modern DACs are able to perfectly reproduce an analog output all the way up to the digital signal's Nyquist frequency (Generally speaking, the entire range of human hearing). A modern amplifier will have a noise floor several orders of magnitude below the thresholds of human hearing. Basically, what I'm saying is don't worry about it. If you notice a difference, it's either confirmation bias or your existing equipment is broken.

The only things you'll gain from upgrading (not necessarily in order):

- Better build quality
- Louder
- More features

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PretentiousFood posted:

Sure they have. Here's a list of published articles and forum posts where people have done exactly that. It's not a particularly interesting read, but you have a good mix of success and failure. The CD player tests should also be relevant.

There are also a couple of people who passed ABX while picking at random (p=0.003). Since there are so few properly documented tests, especially with headphones, I think it's a lot more interesting to discuss circuit design as the mechanism behind perceived differences.

The relationship between a digital audio signal and its analog counterpart is completely, 100% lossless and accurate all the way up to its Nyquist frequency (which for a 48khz signal is 24khz - well above the threshold for human hearing).

A correctly built DAC (not necessarily well built; correctly built - which is to say "not wrong") will create a verifiably perfect reproduction of the waveform up to Nyquist. If a DAC does not do this, it is faulty. Not 'cheap', not 'low quality', absolutely and completely broken.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Comparing HD650s to QC15s is like comparing locally roasted press coffee from a small cafe to Starbucks. One is expensive because of the time and effort that went into making the product. The other is expensive because of branding.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pudgygiant posted:

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question, but will this cable actually make a difference for my ES3X or is it bullshit?

That depends. If I send you some "special" quartz crystals to tape to the cord, will you give me $200?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Midorka posted:

Holy poo poo, why isn't this a thing yet? BRB buying a Bedazzler for enhancing sound quality!

It is. :downs:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pudgygiant posted:

To be fair the stock cable is incredibly flimsy, and everything JHA I've tried in the past has been superb so I wouldn't think they'd be selling snake oil.

It's a $200 headphone cable.

If the cable it came with is crap, get this:

http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000042938762&MenuID=105026014

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-RC-WT1-re-cable-Westone-Earphones/dp/B00D6DOYEQ

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pudgygiant posted:

I didn't mean the cable it came with is crap so I'm going to spend $200 on a new one, I meant the cable it came with is crap, I'm going to buy something reasonable, I saw this $200 cable, how much horseshit is it.

They think that because you spent 800+ on a pair of IEMs, you won't think twice about dropping 200 on a cable. I'm sure it's a fine cable, but you won't notice any improvement in sound. So it's less snake oil and more like adding flame decals to your car. I'd say get the Fiio cable if you want a sturdier one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Edit: ^^ drat you!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Any recommendations for headphone stands that aren't $50 and don't have BRAINWAVZ in gigantic block letters?

http://www.amazon.com/Culinary-Elem...s=banana+hanger