Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Just picked up a pair of Sony XB950 BT's for a decent price. I'm no audiophile but the audio sounds really good compared to most everything I've tried. I just have one question though:

This bass boost. This is a joke, right? Is there any music that actually benefits from this terrible, terrible gimmick?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lol at advertised 3Hz-28kHz response.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I use the front headphone jack on my desktop case to drive my HD 650's. :moonrio:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BuyDig has the HiFiMan HE400i for $180. I'd love to try out planar magnetic cans, but you have to pay return shipping and pretty much everyone says my current HD650 are better all-around.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The HD6XX is an HD650. I prefer the HD650 to the 580/600 because it has a little more bass, though obviously we're talking about tiny differences. There's a reason the 650 is continues to be one of the best all-around headphones 15 years after its release.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 11, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DancingShade posted:

In a couple more years my HD600s will be a solid decade old. Great headphones and for certain genres or non FPS videogames I'd take them over anything flashier & more expensive that I have.

The only weakness is the sub bass falloff but they were never designed for that. I can't think of any 90s music offhand which did a lot below 100hz but I'm happy to learn of some.
I never owned the 600's though I did listen to them. I had the 580's for about 8 years (which are generally considered almost identical to the 600's) and upgraded to the 650's 5 years ago just because they have a bit more bass omph and I haven't looked back. Unless I do something crazy like getting HD800's, the 650's get me to a full decade and possible a decade beyond that.

The HD6xx selling for $200 does upset me though. I paid $270 for my 650's back in 2013 and that was because an employee code leaked during the holidays.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 23, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bodyholes posted:

That was not the impression I got from listening to them right next to each other. Maybe I'm deaf and need more treble though. :shrug:
If you can't tell the difference, hey, you're a cheap date headphone consumer.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Homestar Runner posted:

If I'm going to spend $200 / $250 or so on some headphones for listening to tunes, I assume Sennheiser HD 600 realistically my best option for the money, yes?

I like a balanced sound with a true midrange, and prefer an accurate bass that isn't too overpowering.

Anything else over-ear that I should consider?
You want

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Note: the HD6XX are also an option.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Homestar Runner posted:

Thanks hombres! Should I also get an amp for the 600 / 6xx also? If so, any recommendations?
FYI, the 600 and 6xx are different. The 6xx is a rebranded 650, and the 600 and 650 have (very slightly) different sound signatures.

I'd give them a shot without an amp first.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just for reference, my first time hearing the 650 (amped source), I heard enough difference between it and my 580 on that same source that I eventually "upgraded".

However, I hear no difference between a 650 amped from a 7.1 receiver vs iPhone.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hot take: you don't actually need an amp unless your computer or smartphone are literal garbage.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Their A/B testing was against Koss Bluetooth headphones and QC35's. :what:

The automated frequency adjustment is cool, but that's something you can do manually and most people just lose high frequency hearing as they age.

No in-ear will be as comfortable as an over ear, and no over ear will be as light and mobile as an in-ear, so they've managed to combine the worst of both worlds.

The skin-conduction system sounds like a fancy way of describing bass, and I can't imagine silicone earpads being comfortable for any extended period of time.

I'm sure they're fine but they're $400. I'll take the HD6XX any day.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ntan1 posted:

A very large amount of audiophile stuff is bullshit, especially when it comes to DACs, but headphones are actually where there often is a significant difference in what you hear. The problem of loving music is that you have to wade through all this bullshit.
Jitter in toslink cables is my favorite: https://www.cnet.com/news/the-audiophiliac-asks-the-experts-do-digital-audio-connections-sound-different/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

5-HT posted:

this is true. that's why I've stuck with a 2x2M m-audio interface as my main for most anything I need, and a nice little smsl v2 unit for any harder to drive headphones I have. works wonders.

stumbled on this thread while reading over some things at gear slutz on the lcd-x's coming in. i've never seen someone so thoroughly lose their mind on the headphone end of things. kind of highlights what happens when you go down that rabbit hole imo.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/1122097-desperately-need-linear-headphone-price-no-object-everything-i-tried-garbage.html
At least he admits the HD650 is the best all around headphone :smug:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gunder posted:

Edit: I've also seen people recommend the Sennheiser HD-1, but they look identical to the Momentum. Are they the same thing?
They are identical to the Momentum 2.0, just with a better build. I actually listened to the wired version of these on Friday though I had to use an iPhone 6S and Spotify Premium. They sounded good but not mind-blowing. They're kinda like a closed version of the HD 650 but some details were missing. Of course, that could've been Spotify (iPhone 6S is a fine source).

My usual test is:

(Suite 1 Prelude)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBNyXpL908Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLQl3WQQoQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTasQwOHREI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpR4p41F8G4

Or if you just want 1 song to do everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbxgYlcNxE8

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 10, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

I’ve been burned by Warehouse deals enough that I stay cautious. I bought a welder marked as “very good” that was missing accessories and had been dropped hard enough that the entire frame was cockeyed. No love from customer service.
Can’t you just return it?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Do Koss Porta Pro actually sound good? I can't imagine how something with those ratty earpads can sound good, but apparently they do?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I got to listen to a friend’s Audeze LCD-2 the other day. I didn’t have my HD650 with me so I couldn’t A/B them, but I would describe the LCD-2 as extremely clear and well balanced yet with deep bass extension. It is a very heavy headphone though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dogen posted:

I have 6XX and LCD2C on my PC with a switch box to A/B with and so I can wear the 6XX if my head gets tired (not really).
It may be in my best interest to remain ignorant and never A/B since the HD650 sound great and do everything I want from a headphone, even though I know there's better out there.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk_D1nDwv30

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I owned the actual 580 and now own the 650. For me, the 650 has a touch more low end, nowhere in the realm of bass boost but the 580 felt a bit anemic there. Both are good though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit moved my question to the iPhone thread

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 28, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Elentor posted:

I'm tempted to finally bite it and get the 650 for personal use since it has good mid bass and the 599 sounded impressive but I'm a bit more used to neutral headphones and by all accounts it's muddied compared to the 650. I just wish I had more choices in Brazil, especially wrt amps, because buying those is a nightmare.
I have HD650 and just run them off my PC’s front audio jack. I’ve also listened to them using the 1/4” headphone out on my A/V receiver and there isn’t a noticeable difference in audio quality. I’d get the headphones (might as well get 6XX to save money these days) and enjoy them and not worry about an amp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wheeee posted:

do not listen to rtings, their raw frequency responses are fine, everything else is bullshit
Ya RTings is good for TV and monitor reviews but their headphone stuff seems lacking.