Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm kind of boggling that everyone was stumbling over themselves to recommend an outboard headphone amp to someone who has a full sized receiver [let's ignore DACs for now]. This kind of gear has become popular due to increased listening from computers and portable sources, any decent receiver should have plenty of power for the headphone output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just got a pair of Sony MDR-1Rs and they're really, really comfortable. I saw they're under $200 on Amazon and went for it. Definitely not as bass-heavy as my old V-Moda LP2s but I think the sound is more "natural."

As far as compressed music goes I rip everything I get on CD lossless but I also listen to a lot of online music [even youtube] since my main listening location is a busy office I don't care so much. When I'm at home on my good stereo I'm glad I did it [plus hard drives are so cheap now].

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Budget: $400
Type: Over Ear - Unless earbuds are actually legit
Listening on laptop (macbook - does this matter? i really dk) and iPhone. I don't want to buy an amp or anything
Music: Hip hop. I don't watch movies or shoes on my laptop or phone or video games.
Ideally pretty drat comfortable, got kind of a big head

They won't leave the house unless for a flight but I'd likely just use cheap earbuds so whatever

I like my Sony MDR-1R a lot, they're efficient enough to not need an amp and super comfortable. The MDR-1A is the replacement model and supposedly sounds a bit better but no 3-button remote which the 1R does have.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pr0phecy posted:

Lightweight, comfortable to wear for long hours, weeks, months, and will cancel most ambient noise in an office setting (laughter, chatter, etc.). Please note that her fragile head won't tolerate any overly-bulky sets.
Regarding sound quality, she won't write a 6,000 word essay on head-fi if the sound is not analytically correct, whatever the gently caress that means. Man that place is weird at times.
Budget is between $50-300.

I like my Sony MDR-1R, they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned, they're light without feeling flimsy, don't press into my head [this is why I sold my V-Modas] and have pretty good isolation. The current model is the MDR-1A but there's also the MDR-10R which is a little smaller [and a lot cheaper] but with similar construction. The 1R/1A are fairly sizable, I have pretty big ears and they go all the way over them. I found Sennheiser HD 280s to be very comfortable too, just didn't like the sound much.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a friend who's been using Jaybirds daily for 2 years without complaint, you can get X2s for $125 on Amazon.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

treiz01 posted:

Budget - $300+ CAD
Source - Desktop/Laptop, LG G4
Isolation Requirements - Not really
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear is most comfy
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - Sony MDR 900 was my best pair ever. They had a 10 foot cable though and required a 3/4 to 1/8 adapter so that crimped their usability but GODDAMN the sound quality. Have also has Bose Ae2, those were marvelously light and comfy.
Preferred Music - Jazz, Folk, Blues, Some bass-heavy stuff. Also will be used for watching movies/youtube

I have a bluetooth headset for when I'm out and a gaming headset as well, so this is really for my relaxing time at home. I won't be packing these around so the ability to fold down doesn't matter. I have a large head (as in, most hats found in stores do not fit me. This had the wonderful side effect of me never buying a trilby when I was 16) so a larger fit is also preferred. A friend of mine got the V-Moda M100's last year and I thought those sounded phenomenal. I was currently looking at a pair on Amazon, but figured I would post here seeing if anyone had any suggestions!

Check out the Sony MDR-1R or MDR-1A, they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned and I like the sound of my 1Rs a lot, it's fun but non-fatiguing.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

trem_two posted:

The one issue I have is that the pleather pads get quite warm for me. It's pretty common for me to listen to an album on the MDR-1A, but then have to switch to my commuting IEMs for the next album because the heat is uncomfortable.

But then again I have a fat head and most over and on ear headphones give me issues with discomfort of some kind, so I might be an outlier in discussing fit/comfort.
I don't have that problem with my 1Rs, did they change anything about the construction or fit? These are by a mile the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Irritated Goat posted:

I need to find some decent bluetooth earbuds. IEMs never seem to fit in my ear no matter what size I try. They always seem to either fall out of my ear or I can hear the cord moving against me if I move my head.

Basically, the Apple earpods fit well but I don't know about $159 considering they'd be for walking around and lounging in bed.

Any cheaper alternatives?

If you're an iPhone user the Airpods are probably the best you can get for fully wireless earbuds. I didn't bother with them since the shape just won't stay in my ears. I've had good luck with the Beats X, once I figured out the right tip size cord noise is pretty minimal but it was really bad with the larger tips.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Is there such a thing as good quality over/on ear Bluetooth headphones with a good microphone? Basically the headsets we have in the office suck and I've got my headphones on most of the time anyway. A boom mic is a must, as well as good mute/unmute features. I can find 3 groups: rando $30 Chinese Aliexpress specials, XTREME GAMING headsets and stuff by business-focused companies like Plantronics or Logitech. Nothing by companies who make good headphones as far as I can tell. Budget is $200-ish I guess, will go more if it's something really good.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

and a Vmoda Boompro, or rather this knockoff which I think is just as good: https://www.amazon.com/adapter-Micr...boom+microphone
I had a pair of Crossfades a few years ago, wasn't wild about the fit. Are there any others that can use an external mic like that?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yodzilla posted:

Not sure if they have a model that fits your exact needs but check out what SteelSeries has to offer.

That is firmly in the "gamer crap" wheelhouse and their bluetooth model is $350.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Constellation I posted:

Philips SHP9500, Philips Fidelio X1/X2, Audio Technica MSR7
With the bootleg BoomPro: Sennheiser HD598, AT M50
I'm not clear, these are full on headphone cables with a mic integrated into them, I assume I'll have to plug in to my phone for it to work? That would defeat most of the purpose.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got the Sony 950XB bluetooth headphones in the Prime Day sale and they are hilariously bass heavy. What's less hilarious is that they don't fit me comfortably so they're going back. Once you dial down the MEGA EXTREME BASS EFFECT they're not bad but none of that matters if they don't feel good. What I'd really like is ones that fit like my old wired MDR-1Rs, the more expensive Sonys like the MDR-1000X look similar, I should probably find a place to try them on though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I tried out the extra bass bluetooth over-ears and I kind of liked them once I turned all the bass boost to a minimum, they didn't fit my head right, though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Boz0r posted:

I'm looking for some good closed-back headphones with a mic for listening to music at work(Spotify Premium, rock, classical), but also doing the occasional phonecall. Under 200-250$, please.

I got the Plantronics Voyager Focus, they're pretty good. I'd say they're ok music headphones but they're great for calls, wireless with good range, onboard mute with reminder, the mic is good at rejecting noise, the noise canceling isn't great but I don't bother using it. I have 1-3 hours of phone calls a day though so if you don't need the convenience features get dedicated headphones. I prefer over-ears for the office.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Most people I know who do production use K-series AKGs [or Sony v6/v7506 if they're cheap].

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A friend of mine had the K550s I think, I really liked those. Both radio stations I did shows on had 240s though, probably because college students treat equipment like poo poo.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Airpods don't fit in my weird ears but I'm a satisfied Beats X owner.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DancingShade posted:

I can't think of any 90s music offhand which did a lot below 100hz but I'm happy to learn of some.
Jungle :getin:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LochNessMonster posted:

I'm looking for a set of over ear headphones which ideally be wireless. It can be wired/wireless, in some cases a wire doesn't matter but there are moments where I'd definitely like to use them wireless. Soundwise I've got no requirements, I know nothing of audio and can barely hear the difference between an mp3 from the late 90's and a flac file (slightly exaggerated).

What Hifi just did a fairly glowing review of the MDR-ZX770 which I guess are on closeout prices now.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Have headphone people got into DSP stuff? I'd imagine measurement is difficult but a miniDSP is like a fraction of what some of these tweakos spend on slightly changing their sound signature with new headphones.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

astr0man posted:

Are there any good options for bluetooth iem's that support aac? Right now I'm just using shure se215's with the shure bt cable, so I'm stuck using sbc all the time. It's fine for podcasts and things like that but I'd like to be able to use a better audio codec for music. I feel like everything I've looked at only supports apt-x, but all of my audio players are apple so I need aac.

I know I could always just get airpods but I would prefer an actual iem for the sound isolation.

Beats X unless you mean no-cord earbuds in which case just get AirPods. I'm pretty happy with mine but I don't use them in critical listening environments so I can't really give you an informed opinion on sound quality. They are good enough that I can hear the difference between random download tracks and 256 AACs on my phone.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I was looking for a high end headset and ended up with the Plantronics Voyager Focus, it can pair with a computer and my phone at the same time and the ANC is OK. The Voyager 8200 is supposed to be great as headphones but the beamforming mics they used instead of a boom are supposed to be just ok. Probably still better than what's on normal headphones, though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Leal posted:

I'm hoping this thread can give me a good recommendation for some headphones to use with my tv. I work an early morning shift compared to the others in my house, also its a small house, so headphones will take of any noise issue for the others. Is there something I can plug into my TV that I can simply plug my PC headphones into? I got a comfy Sennheiser 518 set that I love and its got a long enough cable that I can sit comfortably away from the TV. If not, I'm not looking for some fancy 60 hour battery life headphones, just something that'll sound as good as my TV speakers but only I can hear it. And ideally as comfy as my 518 :v:

If your tv has optical out you should be able to use any old preamp/DAC with a digital input. The volume control is important because most TVs don't have variable output on optical. Your TV might also have RCA stereo out in which case you wouldn't even need the digital part, just a preamp.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zealot4223 posted:

Got a question.

What are a set of "earbuds" that have good mic quality? Not necessarily looking for earbuds with great sound. But something that's portable like the Apple earbuds but has an excellent mic for using on videoconferencing, Skype, etc. Something better than the airpods. It's actually really hard to find out because a lot of the articles out there understandably talk about the music output of the earbud itself but I care more about the inline mic.

I looked for something like this and failed, ended up with on-ears with a boom mic [Plantronics Voyager Focus UC]. Let me know if you find anything.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

In my experience there's OK mics on some headphones if you're in a quiet room but if you're in an open plan hell office where everyone around you is also on conference calls I only ever had good results with a boom. Dedicated mute button is a killer feature as well.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hello thread, I'm looking to do 2 things that I'm thinking could maybe be 1 device:
1. A dongle DAC/amp that I can connect via USB C or Lightning to my phone, computer, iPad, etc.
2. A bluetooth receiver

I found stuff like the Fiio BTR3/BRT5 that seem like they would work but there's differing opinions about lightning compatibility. Does anyone know of other similar things? My headphones aren't particularly hard to drive so I'm mostly worried about it working smoothly and reliably with my mostly-Apple pile of devices.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

Any reason why you aren’t just using the Apple lightning and USB-C dongles? They’re fragile as hell (I just broke my first lightning dongle after 8 months, probably gonna put some shrink wrap on my next one to try to reinforce it) but they’re also $9 a pop and they’re top-tier DACs especially for the money
If I can't find this single device that does everything that's probably my backup plan.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

trem_two posted:

I *think* the Qudelix-5K will fit the bill. Pretty sure they have a USB C input. Definitely do some searches to see if anybody has complained about them not working with your particular devices though, for sure.
Yeah I've narrowed it down to that and the EarStudio EX100 Mk2, they're probably almost identical hardware wise [and only $20 different] but the EarStuio app has crazy EQ options that I will probably never use but are appealing. This is my first pair of really nice headphones so I'm trying to do them justice without going full grognard.

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 26, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

trem_two posted:

I actually have one of those, and it sounds very nice. The only reason why I didn't suggest it right away is because the clip is fragile and broke very quickly on mine, and also it uses USB mini instead of USB C, so it might require purchasing another cable or adapter if you wanted to use it wired directly to a USB C phone/tablet/etc. The app is in fact pretty good.
Ah, I thought the Earstudio was USB C, that makes the decision easy. I just tried to buy direct from their site instead of Amazon and they charge $20 for shipping to the US. Enjoy my money, Bezos.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah pro gear is so ridiculously flexible. I'm long term going to get a MOTU M2 or M4 just to have all the options.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

According to Head-fi: "Usually these types of boxes have crappy headphone amps, while the line outs usually are good and always balanced - which is great. But this one differs having a quite good headphone amplifier, 190mW @ 55 Ohms is a very high output for this type of device. Also, a output impedance of just 0.05 Ohms is good too. Makes it able to drive a wide range of cans, from modern low impedance headphones to classic high impedance cans."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My Qudelix 5k arrived, it is hilariously tiny. Drives my big headphones to loud enough levels via bluetooth, my Sony MDR-1Rs to louder than I'd ever want but caps out a bit lower in USB DAC mode for whatever reason. I haven't tried the app yet. Roon AACshames me but I bought this partly with the hope that Apple will pull their head out of their rear end on LDAC at some point in the near future.

fake edit: installed the app, it will get plenty loud in DAC mode now.
Real edit: worked plug and play with my iPad via USB C which is a nice surprise, I was expecting some fuckery.

qirex fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 1, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

OK, several more hours with an amp on and drat do these Elegias sound good. They still feel a bit heavy and the clamp is a bit more than I like but I have no gripes about the tonality, imaging, etc. My only real complaints are the included cord sucks hard [I didn't even get the cool woven one I've seen other people complain about] and replacement pads are almost $200. I checked on a lark and the deal I got is still available, I imagine this is the most I'll ever spend on headphones and I never would have bought these for MSRP but they are definite keepers. Now I just need a stand, anyone got any favorites?

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 1, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Splinter posted:

I'm looking for some headphones primarily for doing music production mixing
I really liked AKG's cheap monitor headphones like the k240 Mk II, they're semi open and don't need an amp.

VVVV or listen to this person, my last time in a radio station was 2004

qirex fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 2, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

endlessmonotony posted:

The K240 and variants have taken a massive quality dip due to manufacturing shifts. I dug into it the last time this came up.
That's a shame, I used to suggest them to people as a more comfortable alternative to the v6/7506.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

frytechnician posted:

Any recommendations? Do I even need a DAP? Any advice would be much appreciated!
I don't have a DAP but I researched them for a while before deciding on a bluetooth amp with my phone as a source.

I would guess the larger players would have more output power, or at least bigger batteries so they could do so longer. I don't think there's a huge difference in sound between most of them, they all tend to use the same few DACs and most have extensive EQ options anyway. The biggest thing to me about things like this is usability of the hardware and software and a lot of these brands have very different opinions about user interfaces so ti's worth checking that out since if you don't enjoy using it you're not going to or you'll be mad about it every time you do. If Zeos/ZReviews has covered any of the ones you're looking at he can be a good source for actually talking about how they are to use. I'd say among the "big" names like Shanling/Fiio/Hiby/Hidiz you're probably at least safe that they'll work fine and have the features you want.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

For me the appeal was storage, I have half a terabyte of music and I only keep a little bit on my phone. Ultimately the fact that I'm on an unlimited plan here at home and not traveling internationally was one of the main points too. If I have long plane/train rides in my future I'll revisit it. I do still like my Qudelix a lot but I'm mostly using it wired and the complaint about the buttons being fiddly was no joke, I covet the ones with knobs like the ifi Go Blue or the Shanling UP4.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

that guy is a clown among clowns.

He is a clown but he’s one of the few reviewers capable of actually criticizing something when it has dumb usability quirks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have closed back Focals [Elegia] and they feel like tanks to me but they’re my home headphones and they’re so huge portable use seems like a joke. The cord is utter garbage as people have complained about but replacements are cheap. As probably the only high end closed back headphones I will ever own I can’t compare them to other sets but I like them a lot and am happy I got a deal on them [that’s $20 less than I paid].