Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Monarch. Found a seller that had stock in Canada for cheaper than I would pay from China.

Need to switch the cable, though. It's good quality, but it's 2.5MM balanced with a 3.5MM SE adapter which is pretty clunky to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Danger Dog posted:

I mean, I can live with wireless, but I'm worried about (1) losing one or both and (2) the battery pooping out after a couple years, when my last set of earphones lasted me 8.

Also deeply skeptical of this 'Alexa built-in' poo poo

Etymotic ER2XR if you want/need a lot of isolation, KBEar Neon if you don't. Both have flat-ish signatures and replaceable cables.

The Etymotic is a better set from an audio quality perspective, but super high isolation may not be desirable when biking

grack
Jan 10, 2012

My fancy 16 Core 7N Single Crystal Copper cable for my Monarch came in today. It definitely improves the emotional resonance of the soundstage or some such poo poo.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Can't post there. Too busy enjoying the improved dynamism of the vocal aesthetic.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ignore

grack fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 7, 2021

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Something I learned today: RHA apparently exclusively uses 80 year olds with severe upper range hearing loss to tune their IEMs.

Had a chance to try a CL750, holy gently caress was it bad. So much treble it was the audio equivalent of jamming a nail through your eardrum and I could only tolerate it for a few minutes. How on earth does anyone think this is a good product?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The CL750 measures as having a ~20db pinna gain, and from experience I'd say that's right on the mark. Listening at extremely low volumes would only make it seem that there's zero bass or midrange.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If it's an ER4S the cable should slide straight out. Don't try twisting it, that will damage the connectors.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

njsykora posted:

They leaned into that aesthetic years ago when they made an engraving of the mascot a design option on the Blessing. They know their image.

I'm pretty sure that anyone that orders that custom engraving is immediately put on a government watch list of some sort.

Really, Moondrop is doing the world a favor.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Listerine posted:

My father's hearing isn't great anymore (he's in his 70s) and has to turn the TV up too much to hear, which bothers others, so my family has asked me to find a wireless headphone solution.

I'm okay with finding the headphones myself but I don't know what the best option is for getting the sound transmitted from the TV to the headphones. What kind of product should I be looking for here? The relevant factors are cost and portability, because we'd like to be able to move it between his permanent residence and a summer place. So a big wireless amp would be discouraged.

Sennheiser makes a set of headphones specifically for this purpose. Look for the Sennheiser RS120 II.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

1. Pull cable cinch as close to the earpieces as you can.
2. Put cable around your neck like a necklace, with the earpieces and cinch are behind your neck, and the split on your chest.
3. Pull the split up to your throat and pull the slack out behind your neck so the earpieces will reach your ears.
4. Problem solved

*this method is not for the "generously necked"

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You could look at something like the Monoprice Retro over ears, but to be honest, there's not a lot of choice at that price point that's worth the money.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The default "entry level" over ear suggestions tend to be the Status Audio CB-1, Philips SHP9500, or Sennheiser HD 599. You might also find something already discounted at Best Buy like entry level Sennheisers that will be decent enough. Just be warned that some cheaper Senneheiser bluetooth sets don't have 3.5MM inputs and can't be used wired.

There just isn't much choice in the sub-$100 CDN market for over ears, which is why IEMs tend to get recommended more often.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I tried to read up on the S12s and all I found was a thread on headfi full of stupid pieces of poo poo talking about 200 hours of burn in and I had to stop before I became some sort of headphone-based supervillain and started building a death ray to get rid of them all.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Cannon_Fodder posted:

First thing I hear - "Pairing to Cody's Samsung"...

It's not bad but I prefer their earlier stuff

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Trauts posted:

Best set of wireless earbuds (noise isolation pref) that I can get off Amazon for $25? Essentially throw away work / workout sets? Usually I go to monoprice for cheap audio stuff but have an Amazon gift card I'd like to go ahead and use. Thanks

At that price you're basically just going to find rebadged Chinese sets. Just pick whatever you think will be comfortable.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

The DAC made a huge difference which makes me think my onboard sound card or dongle was kind of garbage, but holy poo poo, I thought I liked music, but actually I really really really love listening to music now.

Onboard sound cards tend to pick up a lot of EM interference from computer components, and dongles tend to have poor filtering due to space limitations. If your USB is noisy an external DAC can help a lot.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Koss KSC75 or Sporta-Pro and a desktop mic.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

frytechnician posted:

I think you'd need to have a combination of exceptionally analytical hearing and an incredible pair of headphones to tell the difference between LDAC and some of the others but I might be wrong on that.

It's not that hard to tell the difference between a low bit rate codec like SBC compared to high rate codecs like Apt-X or LDAC. Hearing the difference between various high bit rate codecs is more difficult, and depends entirely on the implementation of said codecs with your gear. AAC, for example, has notoriously lovely implementation on many Android phones and often sounds noticeably worse than on Apple hardware.

All that said, if you're using your headphones for working out or travelling/commuting it probably doesn't matter that much, and you should probably prioritize things like battery life or ANC instead.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kilazar posted:

Trying again. Anyone have input?

Something like a Fiio BTR3/5 with the wired headphones of your choice would be a possible solution.

If you're going to be switching from wired to wireless regularly I wouldn't suggest anything that requires constantly plugging and unplugging the actual earpieces from a cable - that connection is pretty fragile and an obvious point of failure.

If you want a TWS, the Sonys are a good choice. Astell and Kern stuff is, in general, massively overpriced.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Look for "RF" or radio frequency headphones.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dogen posted:

Weird. I don’t even like regular speech announcements like that, I’m a system of beeps man.

Yeah, there is a tremendous overlap between weebs and audiophiles. Not surprising to anyone who's ever subjected themselves to Head-Fi or similar forums (and then immediately downed a pint of hard liquor to erase that memory).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

anatomi posted:

I hope earbuds aren't verboten in here.

I recently had to return a pair of Liberty Pro 3. I found the sound quality to be pretty drat good for bluetooth earbuds. Unfortunately, even the biggest wingtips were too small for my ears.

Do any of you know if there's something like the LP3 but with wingtips for very big ears?

Bose has a bunch of designs with wingtips. You could also consider earhook designs.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mederlock posted:

I'm a bigmclargehuge 6'-something" dude, and I believe I trended towards medium to large silicone tips in the past, so hopefully they'll fit! Ordering them this weekend. Still want to do a bit more looking around for a portable DAC/amp though, I don't mind one that's slightly bulkier if there's any improvements in build quality/sound quality to be had over the Moondrop Click which seems a little.. dainty

I've been using the same Apple Dongle for nearly four years now and it still works perfectly.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I use TWS for exercise, and wired for everything else.

I also spent good money on my IEMs so I might as well use them.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mr. Mercury posted:

Just the appropriate dongle! It has everything you need in there and is generally around eight bucks

The nice thing about "dumb" headphones is that there's not a lot of opportunity for companies to wall off basic adapters so they can't really put the squeeze on you

So either the Google USBC to 3.5mm or the apple lightning to 3.5mm will be totally fine

Apple makes a USB-C to 3.5MM adapter, and it's better than the Google adapter.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

lmao what the gently caress is this post? you're completely wrong and being extremely weird about it. there's a software issue that keeps the apple usb-c dongle from reaching past half volume on android, it's been well known for eons and is not bullshit at all, I have one right here and can demonstrate it

I've been using an Apple USB-C dongle for 4+ years and I've never had this issue.

The version sold in the EU is volume limited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If you have a Pixel phone, the Pixel Buds Pro are a pretty good option.