Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hey thread, I'm in the market for a new pair of walking around headphones after finally getting sick of in-ear buds not staying in my left ear no matter what I try. I've been eyeing up the Audio Technica M50x's but figured I'd ask in here if anyone had any better ideas. One of the things I really want is a detachable cable because my work enviroment seems to eat headphone cables and being able to just replace the cable instead of the whole lot appeals to me, as does being able to swap out for different length cables.

Budget - Around £100-150
Source - iPhone SE2 with the Apple dongle and my old iPod which I listen to stuff out of when working on projects so I'm not constantly distracted by the internet, so wireless is out.
Isolation Requirements - Yeah, since I want these for walking to work and such.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear
Past Headphones - I have a pair of AKG K92s at home that I really like, but the long cable makes me not want to use them outside home.
Preferred Music - Basically everything (including rap and country) but recently mostly jazz and kpop.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DildenAnders posted:

Anyone have a good, cheap (~$20 or less if possible) turntable needle recommendation?
**EDIT**: It's for a Yamaha PF-800 "Natural Sounding Turntable" if it matters.

Probably better to ask in the Vinyl thread.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Foxtrot_13 posted:

For IEMs the value is in ChiFi.

I have the KZ Z10 Pro's and the Tin T2's and they are very good for the price (especially if you use foam eartips). I know the BLON BL03 and BL01 have also got very good reviews. Nothing you can buy in the highstreet will come close to the value of the KZ, Tin or BLONs but you do get the advantage of not waiting a month for them to turn up and if they break you can return them. Skullcandy IEMs are OK if you get them on sale, just never pay full price.

Tin and KZ stuff you can get on Amazon pretty easily, there's a bunch of importers for both. I have the Tins and the one thing I'd say about them is I don't find them that comfortable, the KZ stuff is apparently better in that regard. The other option is worn out how? If you've just wrecked the cable you can replace that on KZ's pretty cheaply.
KZ ZS10 Pro
Tin T2

njsykora fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 11, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I prefer just running the headphones how they sound, mostly because I bought Grados and I want them to sound like Grados.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I use these which I like pretty well. The only thing I'd say against them is that the earhooks on them are horribly uncomfortable to my ears (but can be removed) and if you use the larger in-ear bits they can end up not hitting the charging contacts in the case. The other cheap buds I hear good things about a lot is Soundpeats stuff which are actually on massive discounts on Amazon right now so their current model is only around £22.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Funso Banjo posted:

Hey, thanks for the reply. These Tao things look decent. Good reviews. Have you had them a good while without issue? My problem is everything I buy breaks, not through rough treatment, just intense use.

I've had them about 6 months at this point, other than the comfort issues (which I tend to have with earbuds in general because my ears are weird) and the aforementioned charging problem I haven't had any issues in build quality terms.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

In my experience all ANC headphones have it on by default because they want to showcase how nice it is right away. Airpods Pro certainly do.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

no experience with DAPs but i've never had a bad experience with bluetooth gadgets and IEMs from Fiio, they're typically good value.
I have a M3 Pro and it's stupidly nice, also most modern DAPs you can connect to your computer and use as an external sound card which is nice. Fiio's stuff usually isn't the absolute best around, but it's always a pretty significant amount cheaper than the actual top for not being massively lesser.

Yuns posted:

Yes, there's a whole community of people still using Zunes.
iPods too, they're surprisingly easy to repair (the Classics at least, everything else is on full Apple lockdown) and stupidly moddable.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They look like the crappy Airpods knockoffs you see in Wish videos all the time. Even if they're not that, every Airpods knockoff is terrible.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Remember Beats are made by Apple, getting rid of useful buttons is very much their thing (the Airpods Pro don't turn off fully unless they're in the nappy case).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I know people who use noise cancelling buds as electronic earplugs. Most of them use AirPods Pro but any buds or over ears with decent noise cancelling will probably do the job.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ultimate Mango posted:

Lanyard stick of gum with 24hr battery life. I slept through so many red eye flight with that and the Shure E500s with comply foam tips.

As someone who’s tried sleeping with a gen 1 Shuffle recently, not recommended if you move about in your sleep. Can see it being real nice for flights though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The one defining thing with Audeze stuff does always seem to be the sound is great but they're hella uncomfortable.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you like the AT M50x’s they do a bluetooth version of those.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I thought being an audiophile was all about buying pointless Schiit

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Something to bear in mind with wireless over-ear headphones is that most of them now have an aux port so they can be used wired as well, so long term battery life is less of a concern than with wireless earbuds. So when the battery shits itself you can still use them.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sennheiser are selling their headphones (and soundbar) business to a hearing aid manufacturer.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Any bluetooth headphones should work with Linux I'd have thought.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Buy a pair of Grados to see if you’re one of the people like me who love how those sound (big treble focus) because a lot of people hate them with a passion. I have the SR80e and it’s my favourite pair I’ve ever used.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Orv posted:

Grados was in fact on my list of "cheap enough to punt on" things that I've heard talked about as sounding extremely polarizing so I was gonna try a pair at some point just to see what I thought. I love the aesthetic of the 60, 80, 100 line if nothing else, they look cool.

Yeah and they’re super light and comfortable too, once you go to the 225 and 325 the metal housing makes them heavier and less comfortable as well as trying to be more balanced which I think defeats the point of buying Grados in the first place.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The reviews I read when they came out pegged them as 80/125 territory. So right where I’d want them to be.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah even my ultra cheap Chinese set doesn't drop connection and can do 8 hours battery life.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

What most people think burn in I think is just your ears adjusting to the new headphones which can take a little bit.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If your phone has a USB-C connector for charging, you can look into a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter to get the headphone jack back. Otherwise I don't think they make it any more but the Fiio uBTR is a good cheap bluetooth reciever if you can find one that you can just plug your headphones into.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

me your dad posted:

I'm looking for some budget headphones for my dad, who is turning 75. I was originally considering the Koss KPH30i, but I read they are pretty flimsy. My dad has shaky hands and I worry he might accidentally break something too fragile. I also considered the Superlux HD-681 Evo but it seems not easily available (it ships from the UK?).

I think I want to go with over-ear but I would do on-ear if they are the right set. I definitely do not want in-ear or earbuds. Any recommendations for under $50? Source would be an iPhone playing Spotify. He listens to the blues, classic folk rock, and jazz.

The AKG K92s are a pair I have and really like, if they’re too expensive where you are (they’re usually under £40 in the UK) the K52s and K72s are supposedly also pretty decent.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

IEM collecting might be even more addictive than regular headphone collecting because you don't need to worry about space nearly as much.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So I bought Beats Flex because I wanted a pair of wireless buds that would automatically switch between all my iStuff but they’re the first buds I’ve bought that came with a double flange tip and I think I’m becoming a fan of the flange. The double flange at least.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

For what it’s worth, as you go higher in the Grado line they lose more and more of the distinctive tuning that makes them fun. The 225 and 325 also I’ve heard are less comfortable because of the metal housing making them heavier.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DildenAnders posted:

Hey, my brother is on the spectrum and super sensitive to background noise, what's the best noise cancelling, wireless pair of headphones available for under $150? Comfort is probably the next important thing, aside from that nothing else really matters, he has other headphones to listen to music with so sound quality is completely irrelevant. I would prefer something new with a warranty but something that's high quality on the used market would work too. Over ear is preffered but if the best we can get is in ear it's not a huge deal.

Anker Soundcore Q30/35 are ones that are always held up as great ANC headphones for the price. I got the Q30s and they are pretty great for inside use and you can probably find them cheap now, the Q35s aren’t a huge improvement over them according to reviews. If outside use is the priority you’d be better off getting in-ears with memory foam tips though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The issue there being that every Bluetooth headphones I’ve used the aux input with tend to sound noticeably worse than they do wirelessly.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

How much worse will my sound quality be if I use a cable instead (as per njsykora)?

I feel it would depend on the headphones but when I use my current ones (Anker Life Q30) wired they sound like the kind of cheap headphones you’d grab to tide you over after a good pair breaks. This I assume would be different if it’s a bluetooth version of an existing wired one (so I assume the Audio Technica M50x BT sound like M50x’s when used wired) but it’s really intended as an emergency thing. Not as the primary way you’d use them.

Annoyingly no wireless headphone reviews talk about wired performance so there’s really no way to know pair to pair unless you’re going to trawl through forums or test them yourself.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

powderific posted:

If you wanna fancy up a little beats does have a set with the ear holdy things and a wire between: https://www.amazon.com/Powerbeats-H...165&sr=8-7&th=1

I have the cheaper version of these, the Beats Flex and they've been rock solid whatever I'm doing (probably helped by them coming with double flanges) and sound pretty good so I'd consider them a good cheaper option if you do want some Apple buds.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So I'm hankering for a replacement for my Tin T2's at last, if I like V sound IEMs what's a good option for around $100?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Those other 3 were the had open in tabs when I posted, I ended up buying the Aria's since I've been around people who won't ever shut up about Moondrop and they look the coolest. I might try the Etymotics at some point but comfort is everything right now since a big reason for wanting something to replace the T2s is comfort.

And after reading reviews now I have a wishlist of stuff about 2 pages long on Ali Express oh god its happening

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It feels super weird at first because you’ll put them on and still be able to hear everything around you, which goes against everything you’ve felt with headphones up to that point.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sterling_Archer posted:

Are there any decent earbuds/IEMs under $100 that you folks recommend? I had a pair of Bose IE2s that fit my ears perfectly but finally died.
I asked this exact question earlier on the page. Here's the answer I got.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

ER2XR is the be-all end-all at that price point if they're comfortable for you. It's a big if though, and the cable is trash and difficult to replace. I use mine a lot but I think they would annoy me if they were my only IEM. Worth putting up with because you really can't beat the imaging and tuning until you get much pricier, imo.

Other excellent options: Moondrop Aria, Thieaudio legacy 2, Fiio fh3.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The only wireless open backs I know of are the Grado GW100s, you probably want something like a Fiio BTR3/5 instead.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Assuming you're not buying direct from Ali for whatever reason is there any importer worth a toss aside from Linsoul or Shenzen Audio?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

My Aria's finally arrived and my first impression is good lord these are comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Ali sale prices are up and the Tanyas are £15 in the sale so I'm probably going to at least try them at that price.