Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They seem pretty durable, but the batteries will be quite diminished in about 3 years or so assuming average usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think it must be about as expensive as replacing the headphones. In such a small sealed (to be sweat resistant) system it would be tough to design something that was serviceable.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

DancingShade posted:

I won't argue that triple flange tips sound good.

I will argue about the comfort though. Deep insert IEMs are very much a like/loathe thing and I can't stand them.

Double flange can be okay though and the HIFIMAN ones are quite nice.

That’s why I spend like $60 a year on comply tips. I leave my x12s in all night to listen to podcasts/be earplugs, and they don’t irritate my ears after 8 hours.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

redeyes posted:

Huh, I have comply tips that are 5 years old. Still fine. Weird.

Foam ones?? Do you wear them?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

That’s probably what it is. I’m a hot sleeper.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Schneider Heim posted:

Is there an advantage to getting office headsets to gaming ones? I will need one for home, but it seems that form factor is the biggest difference between them? I just need something for Skype calls right now.

If you have headphones for your computer already just slap a modmic on there.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I ordered myself some Sennheiser 6xx to try out finally because I was able to get them for $170, which I think is less than I paid for my 598se.

I hope this isn’t a dumb side grade I’ve just always wanted to try a 600 or 650

Dogen
May 5, 2002

hahaha holy poo poo you guys my 6xx came in and are an obvious and immediate improvement on my 598se, esp at the price I got them for.

my source is pc with a xonar stx, for reference.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Grats! That feeling of "holy poo poo, obvious upgrade!" is to be savoured and enjoyed at length.

The worst is when you spend big dollarydoos and get "yeah it's good but... *obvious flaw*".

I was worried that it was going to sound basically the same, honestly.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Don't do this. You will gently caress up your hearing and bother everyone around you. Open back cans are not for loud environments, ever.

IEMs for out and about. Or closed back at the least.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Get an SPL meter inside your headphone earcup?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, there's no way that everyone in that coffeeshop wouldn't hear music played on the 650s at loud volume.

My wife can hear them in the next room. She couldn’t really hear my 598s. There’s really no dampening whatsoever.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah just get a usb dac and return it if it doesn’t solve the problem, but it probably will.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

My wife and I liked ours while they worked but they kind of seem to have a finite lifespan of 2-3 years based on our experience and other reviews when I thought about getting replacements. At the price they are though, that’s not terrible.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Battery on both of them

Dogen
May 5, 2002

We both have Powerbeat pros now , so :shrug:

I will try and fix the powerbeats when they die tho

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/02/27/fcc-approves-rumored-powerbeats-4-earphones

Oh, come on, I just picked up a PowerBeats Pro thinking they weren't gonna do anything more with the PBs after that

I wanted a new PB because my old PB3 had a fraying cable, the casing for the in-wire controls disintegrated leaving me with having to press hard down on two goddamn sharp metal nubs to change volume/tracks, and the original ear things were tearing and cracking, but it still played muzak..

Pro’s prob better anyway

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Budget sounds like

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Do you have headphones already? Modmic.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

sirbeefalot posted:

You can get replacements, a quick search led me to these on Amazon - can't vouch for them personally. I've never replaced them, but it looks fairly straightforward.

They're easy to replace. Dekoni is like the standard recommended brand for replacement and they have a bunch of different choices, but are more expensive.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Phraggah posted:

Was looking at these already - thanks!

I also saw Senn HD 599 SE's on Amazon for 135, does anyone know if there's a huge difference between those two pairs?

Yeah they're totally different models. 58x is 600/650 (6xx) tier, a cut above 598/599.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Comply makes an olive shaped version... comfort plus I think?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

58x vs 6xx is personal preference mostly if you have an amp already. People say the 58x sounds more “lively” which may or may not be to everyone’s liking.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I went 555 foam mod for years->598 for a couple years->6xx and the 6xx has been a big jump in quality while retaining a similar character. I think if you dig the 555s the 6xx is a good affordable upgrade. Your amp would do fine with them.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

ddogflex posted:

I've heard the 58X is marginally better than the 6XX for gaming? I don't competitively game at all so idfk, they're what I use on my PS4 controller tho.

I'm surprised the 58X aren't too quiet on a PS4 controller.

I doubt there's much difference in terms of gaming, they've a similar enough soundstage that I'd think positional audio would be the same.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I've always understood it to be a long-distance thing like for real like wires running to an audio board at a show or that kinda thing. Not too helpful in other applications. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Sorbus posted:

Original 650 / 6XX pads are pretty much the comfiest ones. I have dekonis also but they are so chonky that the clamp is a bit stronger.

I've looked at getting Dekoni pads and I read some (??audiophile talk??) that actually the pads that come with the 650/6xx affect the quality of the sound at that most aftermarket pads make them sound worse which seems kinda hard to believe?? Also yeah honestly the stock pads are comfy enough for me after living with them for 6ish months.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Interesting. Thanks everyone for the comments, I just have a natural skepticism of claims about these things that I think is understandable, but I guess it makes sense that density of material/seal to noggin/changing driver position relative to earhole could make a difference. Glad I'm happy with the stock pads.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Wheeee posted:

Yea a lot of what makes a headphone sound a certain way has nothing to do with the driver itself, rather the distance and angle of the driver, seal and positioning around the ear, material properties of not only the pads but the backing materials, etc. Headphone drivers, at least dynamic drivers, cost somewhere between a few cents and a few dollars to make, poo poo's cheap. What makes cheap/bad headphones sound bad isn't necessarily that it's expensive material-wise to make a good sounding headphone, but that it's difficult to design and tune one that sounds good.

You should in general be extremely skeptical about anything relating to audio tho, it's a good mindset

I guess that explains why the HD650 has gone from $500 to the 6xx model being like $200ish frequently (I paid less for mine with a coupon, even). They've recouped those design costs since it came out in 2003 and the thing itself isn't expensive.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You might ask in like an apple thread, but no, my wife has a pair and has never had to reset them when switching between devices. Maybe like, one time. Certainly not weekly.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

priznat posted:

Are there any decent brands for AirPods Pro replacement tips in memory foam? Tons of sketchy poo poo on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Comply-Compa...ctronics&sr=1-3

Comply, make sure to pick what you think is the right size or get the sample pack.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Spinfit were supposed to have some silicone ones for the airpods pro out by now but they were already running behind and I assume the pandemic has further complicated things.

You might see if the comply website ships to canada? https://www.complyfoam.com/products/app-comply-foam-tips-compatible-with-airpods-pro/

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Stretch a little and buy a 58x?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The closest experience I have to this is using airpods and powerbeats pros to connect to: iphone, ipad, and a windows laptop. They are smart enough to know if I am using whatever apple device. To use windows laptop you put them on and tell the windows laptop to pair to em. It's mildly annoying but it works. I don't use them much with the laptop anyway.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Well my x12 cables finally have a short, and I might be able to fix it but it was also a good excuse to try out an ER4SR. I have to say in comparison I do find them more detailed and brighter than the X12, with a bass roll off that is a little bit higher. Also you really gotta crank the volume for them on an iPhone! I think I will keep them if I can get my X12 fixed though they are definitely superior for music with less bass. I wouldn’t even rate their bass performance as bad, just typical for a single BA design, which the x12 family (I had an X10 before) somehow was able to overcome.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I was gonna use my comply comforts since they have the same size stem as my old klipsch but honestly I tried the larger triple flange and it worked great. I still might try the comply just to not have to gently caress around with the filters since they have one built in.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I’m living the dream already apparently on my iPhone

My other setup is HD 6XX with an essence stx on my pc

Dogen fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 26, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah unlike other Senn models that were a classic of their time (650, 600) the world has moved on from the 280

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I really like the 6XX for games fwiw but I’m not playing competitive counterstrike or whatever. Engine sounds are great in racing games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I think we had this discussion previously and decided replacement pads gently caress with the sound particularly with open headphones (280 isn't open so ymmv)