Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

I finally got my Xenns Up from Linsoul's black Friday sales in the mail today. Initial thoughts are "hello endgame". Not much to comment on the sound as many good reviewers have done it well already and better than I ever could. Dan's audio reviews describes it well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz49kf_1tao Anyway "as described" is what I can say. Exactly to my personal listening taste.

The included cable is one of those newer ones where you can swap the termination plug so transforming it into a 4.4mm takes only seconds. Nothing a aftermarket $40 tripowin one can't also do though. Didn't even bother looking at the stock tips because I had spinfits waiting for it on my desk. Very pretty shells. Comfy.

Gosh I'm happy with these things.

I didn't like the Xenns up.. at all, but i'll just hang back. I'm glad you like em bro! I'd just say that for a basshead they are pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

NewFatMike posted:

I’ve had my eye on a BTR5 for a while for a portable DAC/amp, and it looks like it’s been replaced by the BTR7.

I’ll mostly be connecting my cans to my work laptop, iPhone, iPad, and Steam Deck — do y’all think there will be any problems with latency or anything like that? The built in mic is a strong pro for Discord calls and the like playing with friends.

Radsone ES100. F those BTR things. I have my reasons but they are solid

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just got the Moondrop Alice for review. Something like 200 bones. I noted AAC and APT-X (non APT-X HD). There is a moondrop app with about 10 different tunings/eqs. Fit is okay, they look stupid though. Sound is.. okay. I think the staging is more like a potato but the overall sound and tuning is pretty nice. Im a bit conflicted. They do sparkle with a good track and have decent bass and mids are niceish but something is just lacking.. I think its the stage.

Non-recommended since 200 bux for potato staging isnt my jam.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

Do they have the anime cat girl voice prompts?

Yes absolutely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a5PuLZlN5c

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got the Tin C2 which is a horrible looking Campfire knock off shell with 1x 10mm DD. My bud dared me to retune it. I did that and holy poo poo! Got it to a $300 bux level im pretty sure. Bonkers Similar to the Tancjim Oxygen. Then the tin C3 which is a resin shell, I retuned that one and it nearly matches a $600 bux DD set called the Dark Magician. By that I mean both of these can turn out stunning as gently caress but require opening shell, retuning every drat thing. I have a 4k microscope so I can modify front vent holes, and other various things.

This is what I do now instead of dumping bullshit money on stuff.

Also the Letshuoer S12 driver which is a 14.8mm driver, I retuned that one over 11 months. In the end $1000+ bux performance and by that I mean nothing can beat it. It's at the top of the game. I made about 20 of them and it nearly killed me since the tuning is so specific. I made a video on youtubes which I wont post because if you care you can find it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thieaudio = Linsoul's house brand. Good luck!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

njsykora posted:

2 big new Moondrops broke cover, a mk2 Solis and the god drat Blessing 3 which will not live up to the hype because I'm pretty sure nothing will live up to the hype of something that has to succeed the Blessing 2. Solis looks drat sexy but kinda disappointed in the B3 going with the Kato look.

You might find that Moondrop is not all that for a ton of people They have issues balancing their treble with bass.. Almost all their iems are too thin sounding. Crin's dusk goes way over the top and is too subbassy. Ive owned the S8, A8, and a lot of their DD sets and don't buy their stuff anymore. It's 'fine' but overpriced by a lot these days. Solis 2 will likely be over $1000 and they can gently caress right off with that poo poo.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

you would do better just saying "i don't like moondrop, here's why"

you don't need to back it up with the approval of an unnamed "ton of people", just sayin. you're obsessive about iems, you review and dismantle them for kicks, your opinion is informed, even if controversial.

Thanks for the advice buttercup. I talk to hundreds of people about IEMs and over the years, probably more than that. Things have evolved in the 'hobby'.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 17, 2023

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

are you modeling your personality after hbb or something? i was trying to pay you a compliment lol jesus.

sorry, i have covid and don't feel that good. Moondrop is not doing that well now for awhile in terms of people really being hyped on price to performance. They are expensive for no good reason. Then we got Stellaris which is a turd, we got their ultra heavy metal shells on the low end DDs, and the upper stuff is good but also expensive as F.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

for the record, i agree with all that for the most part and im sorry you got the 'vid, that loving sucks. get better soon!

Thanks man, for real. It's been like 3 weeks and the god drat thing wont go away. I think the lack of sleep is making me angry. My bad responding like that. Recently I tried the Stellaris and it was SO bad I couldn't believe it. Moondrop should not be putting out stuff like this at this stage in their game. Another thing that has happened over and over for people that do get the Blessing 2 (dusk as well), is the bore diameter is like 5.5mm maybe 6 and a lot of people straight up find them uncomfortable.

Having said all that crap, Moondrop has good quality levels and for the most part you can expect a good experience if you can fit em and don't mind the shells.

And then I made my own IEM, basically entirely. Im working out how to get it produced.. and prolly have to make it myself since China is hard to deal with living in the USA. Here is Eru Iluvatar https://pw.squig.link/?share=PaulWasabii_Target,Shortbus_Eru It's planar and I consider it the best IEM i've ever heard. The tuning was done on accident trying to 'fix' a set with bad L/R matching. Look from 3k to 14k. Linear. Incredible if you ask me.

The Simgot EA500 are both excellent and unique in terms of the tuning. I need to do a review as soon as my ears clear up and I can hear better. I consider it a lot like the Tanchjim Oxygen (which is a fantastic 1DD set) but less V shaped, so pinna bump is moved forward in frequency.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 18, 2023

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Simgot EA500. Massive rec from me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlRSDIgZo7s

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You must really hate low end.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The Simgot EA500 is better than all the lower end stuff being discussed. 59 bux on sale.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ANC is useful for blocking out low frequency drone type stuff. It rolls off fairly quick and higher freq stuff can pass through. As long as the IEM (whatever it is) has decent passive isolation, you are golden. I was using a hammer drill with some piss-end TWS with ANC, it wasn't ideal but it cut the percussive noise down to something that didnt hurt the ears and was 'fine'. Sure you can get better with some foam shoved up your butt but in a pinch its okay.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Clark Nova posted:

I don't think anything less intrusive than etymotics will seal your ears well enough to keep extremely loud noises from bleeding through at least a bit

Custom IEMs will do it but.. same kind of thing. They fit deep in the ears. If you get lucky with a universal you can get them to fill the ear enough to have similar isolation to ety.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Im telling you people. Simgot EA500 is phenomenal and worth $300 at least.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Passburger posted:

Any suggestions on tips though? The seal is not the greatest for me with the stock ones.

Surely you have something that can work? I have no issues fitting em. Maybe some nice Comply Foams?

Tips are like underwear, highly personal.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I made an iem called Glamdring

https://shortbus.squig.link/?share=Glamdring

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Im working my way up to making an IEM company. I don't have a number in mind yet. Sorry about that.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

frytechnician posted:

It's all good! Just shoot me a pm when you're up and running, I'd love to see the progress.

Good luck with it all!

Thank you man! I will do that for sure.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I started up an audio company. This year is rough for me, lots to do, so I'm trying to go slow. If anyone is interested in a Glamdring 14.8mm planar go here and fill out my form. Next month is when I'll start production. I hate shilling my own stuff, so find me on youtube to get more info.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Oh ok this video probably tells as much as I have told about it. I sold 30 in the initial batch and 95% of people are over the moon. The rest are metal heads and want less treble, so Im helping with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OeeNlTpS8w

To summerize, folks say this IEM sounds a lot like a open back planar from Hifiman. I don't know about that since I've never tried any of those but I would say this has 3 amazing things about it. 1. is the stage is the best you can find, highly 3D, spacial positioning is insane and its highly fun to listen to. 2 would be the bass being absolutely insane. It's got plenty but the quality is the top of the game including the Sony Z1R.. it beats it imo. and Finally the resolution and overall detail levels are fully top of the line style.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
OK! I have literally no info up except a form for gauging interest. http://www.shortbusaudio.com

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 21, 2023

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
CANCELLED!

There is an actual story behind the name which is I was ridiculed by the higher end iem people for along time, banned from chat rooms, etc. I figured why not start a brand of sorts were there is no ego involved. It's not a hateful thing. I can enjoy riding the shortbus. There are even albums with the same name I love.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I bought a pair of iems. First pair I wanted in a long time. Softears Twilight... holy poo poo. This thing is has ultra 3D out of the head staging. Im instantly in love. It has sultry treble so not for treble lovers but its mids are fing incredible and 3D.