Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Drunk Badger posted:

Does anyone here use IEMs as their primary computer gaming headphones? On the fence to either get a good set of IEMs, or get a closed ear headphone for home, and a cheap IEM for my laptop / phone when I'm on the road.

I have a pair of great IEMs, great dac/amp and still use the closed Fostex Massdrop closed phones (X00?) with my computer.

How much you travel should inform this decision. I travel a ton and have different gear for travel vs home. If you don't travel much there are plenty competent IEMs for cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Good headphones with fast drivers and lots of treble are what you need for gaming. The el-cheapo answer is Superlux 668b, the more expensive answer is the Audio Technica AD series. Avoid gaming headsets, they are all garbage.

Incidentally, if someone tries to sell you a "7.1 surround headset with multiple drivers" etc etc just punch them in the face, it's marketing horseshit. The only way to get 3d audio is with an actual 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup, period.

Real binaural audio with well isolating headphones actually works. I have heard a demo tape that was actually the most convincing 3D audio I've ever heard, even better than Atmos or other good high end multi speaker setups.

But yeah, the "7.1" surround sound headphones are bullshit.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

GokieKS posted:

The Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart arrived yesterday. Quick impressions:

Looks: Simply gorgeous. I love wooden earcups in red, and these have quite possibly the second most attractive color of any I've seen, behind only the Audio-Technica ATH-W1000 (Sovereign, not the W1000X Grandioso or W1000Z Maestoso).
Comfort: Pretty comfortable, on par with most full-size headphones that I've used where the headband rests directly on the top of my head. Compared to the others I have on-hand, I'd say that it's about the same as the Sennheiser HD 600 and 598 SE, and rather better than the AKG x Massdrop K7XX (with the thin unpadded headband, I find it to be rather uncomfortable and so is my least-used headphone by a long shot). It's not as good as the W1000 though - the 3D Wing system seems to be hit or miss for people, but they work very well for me and make for much more comfortable headphones than those whose band rests on the top of my head.
Sound quality: Pretty drat good. Playing mostly 320kbps MP3s from iTunes via a Woo Audio WA7d + WA7tp DAC/amp (I also have a FLAC library but I usually just stick with iTunes because of convenience). Compared to my decade-old pair of HD 600s (the standard by which I still judge all headphones when everything, including price, is taken into consideration), I'd say that bass is stronger but not overbearingly so, but has a slightly smaller soundstage. Compared to the ATH-W1000, which is well-known for being bass-light, and it's a better all-around performer, though I'd still consider the A-Ts to have a more lush midrange/treble. I didn't compare them to the K7XX because I just rarely ever use those due to the aforementioned comfort issues.
Misc: The cable on the TH-X00 is quite thick (noticeably thicker than any of the other headphones I currently own), which may be slightly annoying. It terminates into a 1/4" plug, and Fostex doesn't include a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, but Massdrop threw one in from Monoprice, if that matters to anyone.

So overall I quite like these, and will probably use them as the primary headphones on my workstation in the near future, replacing the ATH-W1000 for the time being (the HD 600 are generally used with my gaming PC, the HD 598 SE used at the office, and the K7XX just sits there). That or use them on the gaming PC instead - being closed instead of open might be preferable for minimizing game noise bleeding into my microphone (Blue Yeti), driven by a FiiO E09K.

Nice review. I jumped on the original (non-Purpleheart) ones and am kind of kicking myself for not waiting for the better wood. These are my everyday headphones at the home office. Leaps and bounds better than the ATH-M50 and more comfortable for long sessions than the LCD-XC. Cable is great, I just have the extra cord looped around my stand so I have just enough cord for my space and the extra isn't a problem.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

If anyone's looking for a DAC to use with their computer, I'm selling an audioengine D1 over in SA-Mart:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789712

Having used one for many many years, I can chime in that this is an excellent little unit. Would highly recommend if you need something like this.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

Budget - $100 - $150 If it does exactly what I want.
Source - This is the most important thing. I currently use my headset at work, to listen to podcast on the phone, and talk to customers over the computer. We use a video chat service, and so I need the headset to work with both sources Simultaneously. I'm handling something like 40 customers a day, so I can't have it switching on/off between my phone and the computer. The Z300's I'm currently wearing have this simultaneous audio feature, and I need my next set to do that as well. The computer's are not blue tooth enabled, but I'm fine buying an adapter for auxillary input as long as it does simultaneous audio.
Isolation Requirements - No Isolation
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over Ear, but this isn't super important either
Preferred Tonal Balance - Bass Heavy, but this isn't really important
Past Headphones - The only pair that I know have that had this functionality is the Earforce Z300, and it is by far my favorite headset. I would just buy more of these, but they're no longer being made.
Preferred Music - Podcasts, Audio Books, Rap, Electronica, and butt-rock.

Can't you just get a Y cable and use whatever headset you want?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

metallicaeg posted:

I'm on my phone right now, but yes there are 3.5 in to 3.5 out amps, I think fiio makes a cheaper small/portable one

There definitely are. ALO Audio Rx is quite nice and reasonably priced.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

underlig posted:

Budget - Infinite but reasonable.
Source - Phone (Oneplus 5t) and gaming computer. I'm fine with both 3.5mm or bluetooth.
Isolation Requirements - Yes. At work it's colleagues talking, and in hell on earth, (my apartment), it's the upstairs neighbours kids running around on their heels, yelling, until midnight.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full size or IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced i guess, i do not know really..
Past Headphones - Currently using my old-old samsung s5 earbuds at work/outside, both for music and calls. And a Turtle Beach Z60 headset at home, never use the microphone.
Preferred Music - Metal and electronic.

I need help finding something that will help me isolate myself from the outside

For infinite budget get CIEMs of the sound flavour of your choice. I have custom noble K10s and they isolate everything. With them in and my Quest headset the house could burn down around me and I wouldn't know until I was on fire or pass out due to smoke inhalation.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I want to get some super bassy headphones but that are still well balanced otherwise.
I got a lead on a pair of TH-X00 Ebony, the fact that they're closed is a bonus since that's also another characteristic I don't really have in my collection.

Has anyone listened to them? I've heard the TH-900 are like, ear-bleedingly bright but have absurdly good bass which is why I'm wondering if I should opt for the TH-X00 Ebony instead since it apparently retains a decent amount of the quality of bass without the huge treble spikes.

I have the original TH-X00s in whatever the normal wood was. They are nice and bass-y but not overly bright. They are a tad heavy and make my ears sweat. They were my daily drivers for years, and I only use the B&Ws that I use now because I got them as a ‘gift with purchase’ with my car, and since I don’t drive so much, it gives me that happy feeling. Dippy, but that’s the truth.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Is this thread able to have a mature conversation about the AirPod Max yet?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Since mentioning AirPodMax won’t result in an angry mob showing up on my doorstep:

Anyone here have and daily drive them? I am a bit concerned about weight (but I have a paid of TH-X00s and B&W P7s), but I think they would be good for my workflow. The AirPod Pros sound nice but don’t last long and one or the other of them frequently doesn’t charge in the case (poor seating).

I bounce between 4 different apple devices throughout the day.

Availability and nosebleed price aside, any thoughts?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I slept with a wired headband for ages, my trick was to attach a lil mp3 player with white noise on a loop

The OG iPod Shuffle was the best for stuff like this.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

you mean the Mk2 or Mk4 (the clippy ones with buttons)

Lanyard stick of gum with 24hr battery life. I slept through so many red eye flight with that and the Shure E500s with comply foam tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

grack posted:

At what point do you look at a set of IEMs and think "Okay, maybe that's too many balanced armatures."

How about 15 per side?

https://www.linsoul.com/products/trn-ba15

I have the Noble K10s and they are freaking awesome. I’m not sure why I would want five more BAs a side.