Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Wafflecopper posted:

Apparently my biggest hit was fire even though my only fire damage was my skirt doing 50% of my lightning damage as fire??? Maybe I hit some guy with big negative fire resist or something idk. Anyway it worked

That's really common because of Willpower damage scaling - if you have Willpower 20, that's +200% damage. If you've got the lightning/fire pants like you do there and do a (total) 100 damage lightning hit, that turns into a base 50 fire damage, but then Willpower gets applied to that damage again, for a total of 150 fire damage. If you're running with one of the damage conversion pants and boosting Willpower, it'll usually end up the biggest number in the combat log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wafflecopper posted:

The Prince of Blood got me. I'm not even sure how

How do unlocks work? Are they just random or am I unlocking all these cultures/classes/religions by doing specific things?

:smugmrgw:

just punch him 200 times ez

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Thanks for the replies. Another question: does encumbrance negated by strength still count for abilities that use it like Heavyweight?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

cock hero flux posted:

you're gaining glory by playing the game and that unlocks stuff automatically when you gain enough of it

don't worry about it, you don't have to do anything specific and it will not take you that long to unlock everything

Yeah, the metaprog in this game is exceptionally light and seems designed entirely as a pacing mechanism. There’s already a ton of information for a new player to absorb the first time they open up the skill screen, so best not to double it at character creation.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wafflecopper posted:

Thanks for the replies. Another question: does encumbrance negated by strength still count for abilities that use it like Heavyweight?

Yes, I believe so

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

There is a rare stat "Total Encumbrance" that I have seen somewhere, which I assume is the number after the strength reduction.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

a leprechaun stole 1,923 gold coins from me in pathos today. no biggie, i figured. i just had to track it down, kill it dead, and take them all back. and wouldn't you know it, but i found a fancy new Muramasa sword to help me do it. huh, what's that property it has? "disintegrate"? probably no big deal. it'll be fine. getting my money back is gonna be a piece of

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
What was the name of the game that was a kind of kingdom death monster with shared timeline between heroes? I can't seem to find it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Loddfafnir posted:

What was the name of the game that was a kind of kingdom death monster with shared timeline between heroes? I can't seem to find it.

Fear and Hunger?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
half minute hero?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You're stirring memories...there was a game that was, like, "this unspecified threat with a weird name (that is the name of the game) is coming for this town in 3 weeks, what do you have your heroes do in that time?" and it was options like fight in the arena, work at the hospital, hunt down criminals, tend a garden, etc. All just choosing options from a list, and getting illustrations and text describing what happens. At the end, the threat would come in and you'd probably fail to stop it, but your heroes might still be able to help the town rebuild afterwards.

It was a game of building an implied narrative out of disconnected elements, I'd say, plus admiring some nicely-made illustrations. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but the help me remember the name of a game thread is usually a pretty good resource for this kind of thing. I'll ask there, if that's the game you're looking for, maybe they'll know.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I doubt this is the game that you are looking for, but that sounds an awful lot like Warsim

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Loddfafnir posted:

It's this I'm pretty sure.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2291700/Tarnished_Blood/

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 23, 2024

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You're stirring memories...there was a game that was, like, "this unspecified threat with a weird name (that is the name of the game) is coming for this town in 3 weeks, what do you have your heroes do in that time?" and it was options like fight in the arena, work at the hospital, hunt down criminals, tend a garden, etc. All just choosing options from a list, and getting illustrations and text describing what happens. At the end, the threat would come in and you'd probably fail to stop it, but your heroes might still be able to help the town rebuild afterwards.

It was a game of building an implied narrative out of disconnected elements, I'd say, plus admiring some nicely-made illustrations. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but the help me remember the name of a game thread is usually a pretty good resource for this kind of thing. I'll ask there, if that's the game you're looking for, maybe they'll know.

Doomsday Paradise

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Yawgh?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

It's this, I'm pretty sure

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

The Yawhg

It's great, a local multiplayer narrative video game. Haven't really seen anything else like it

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Horror actually can work pretty drat well now with the Worm god. You never have to cast the first spell since Horrorform keeps it down, so the corrosion show runs 24/7. It means you can be tremendously flexible - you can hide in cover to heal while whittling everyone down with corrosion and prayers, or get into an open area and blast everyone in sight with Asi Malak's range + a cleaving weapon, or find a tricksy spot in a tunnel where you can use your innumerable summons to lock every enemy in range of Gore Chant to annihilate them. Very satisfying to play such a versatile build for once rather than a one-note, hard-counter-able glass cannon.

The helmet, Shaakara, was vital for making my bleeds add doom that could do the big damage. The gloves and weapon should definitely be replaced with something better — I was a fool and didn't realize Agni Axe only does 200% astral to adjacent enemies, so it wasn't doing anything.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 23, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

OK there's a new Vampire Survivors like except it's Vampire Survivors + Stardew Valley, starring a very cute frog.

The idea is that instead of just getting weapon upgrades etc, you buy seeds from the Merchant (who is an ant, you see) between rounds, then plant and nurture them until they grow into XP or weapons. You can also fish and mine, and there seems to be a decent amount of content. You will also find (and buy) various pet friends to assist you. I am always rolling with a posse of cats, but you can also get elephants to automatically water seeds, golden retrievers to fetch drops for you etc.

It's a cute and fun game.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pigbuster posted:

Horror actually can work pretty drat well now with the Worm god. You never have to cast the first spell since Horrorform keeps it down, so the corrosion show runs 24/7. It means you can be tremendously flexible - you can hide in cover to heal while whittling everyone down with corrosion and prayers, or get into an open area and blast everyone in sight with Asi Malak's range + a cleaving weapon, or find a tricksy spot in a tunnel where you can use your innumerable summons to lock every enemy in range of Gore Chant to annihilate them. Very satisfying to play such a versatile build for once rather than a one-note, hard-counter-able glass cannon.

The helmet, Shaakara, was vital for making my bleeds add doom that could do the big damage. The gloves and weapon should definitely be replaced with something better — I was a fool and didn't realize Agni Axe only does 200% astral to adjacent enemies, so it wasn't doing anything.

I was doing a version of this that was wrecking everything until i got killed by the Banrion

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Absolutely, thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

That was it, thank you!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

some Path of Achra changes, mostly nerfs

quote:

Some slight fleshing out of the new void zones, and toned down a couple things, mostly a few prestige classes / items that were applying literal millions of harmful effects, haha. A lot of the leg armor that re-deals damage has also been reduced to 25% (from 50%) with an eye toward making some of these slightly more interesting / not necessarily Willpower-based, similar to the Rukfeather Skirt

Unique Void locations now have more floors, added another type of enemy for each area
Doomsayer second clause now only applies Doom to 1 enemy at any range
Blood-Drinker now -50% all resistances
Inuqqa now removes all freeze from self on kill, if unencumbered
Yu 3rd prayer damage reduced to 2500
Ice Gloves now has an "on stand still" trigger and also summons a Living Ice
Daruq and Shaakhara now apply equal Doom to "applied stacks" of Freeze / Bleed
Rebel Jambiya changed to "apply 20 stacks of the target's lowest-stack harmful effect"
Reduced the damage of "redeal pants" to 25%
Fixed bug with cryokinesis not dealing damage
Fixed a text display bug with transformation powers in inventory

e:
This almost didn't have enough healing since I forgot to pick up Bloodbath, but secutor and willpower carried the day

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 24, 2024

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

OtspIII posted:

The Yawhg

It's great, a local multiplayer narrative video game. Haven't really seen anything else like it

The Monster Prom games are pretty heavily inspired by it

also these apparently
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1457990/Yuligans_Christmas_is_Coming/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/802400/Fhtagn__Tales_of_the_Creeping_Madness/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1919140/Antioch_Scarlet_Bay/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1603420/Doomsday_Paradise/

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

Wafflecopper posted:

Apparently my biggest hit was fire even though my only fire damage was my skirt doing 50% of my lightning damage as fire??? Maybe I hit some guy with big negative fire resist or something idk. Anyway it worked

It's a bit counter intuitive, but the skirts do their extra damage after your willpower bonus. So if you did 100 lightning damage, and your willpower boosted that to 300, then your skirt would do 150 fire damage, boosted to 450.

Basically the skirts double dip on willpower,which is why he's just nerfed them.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Just a day to go until Rift Wizard 2!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
gently caress I'm not ready man, I've got all these other games I'm still playing

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

It’s out now, wtf. I’m still busy with Slice & Dice.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2058570/Rift_Wizard_2/

it's time

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh thank gosh it's EA and I don't have to think about it for a while

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I'm still on low cycles in Achra compared to you guys but this was a really fun run. My first time doing a ranged attack build. I just stacked as much damage as possible and got to 6 range, was just one-shotting everything as soon as it stepped into LOS. My weapon had well over 4k hit by the end.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm still on low cycles in Achra compared to you guys but this was a really fun run. My first time doing a ranged attack build. I just stacked as much damage as possible and got to 6 range, was just one-shotting everything as soon as it stepped into LOS. My weapon had well over 4k hit by the end.

Hell yeah here’s the fun part

With asi malak….. the varichakram is nearly obsoleted; you can get ranged area with any weapon that grants area on two handing

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 25, 2024

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

Hell yeah here’s the fun part

With asi malak….. the varichakram is nearly obsoleted; you can get ranged area with any weapon that grants area on two handing

yeah but i didn't find anything good early on, and once the varichakram had scaled up a bit from my class and religion bonuses i didn't want to replace it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wafflecopper posted:

yeah but i didn't find anything good early on, and once the varichakram had scaled up a bit from my class and religion bonuses i didn't want to replace it

That’s fair especially with eris

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
First impressions of RW2 is that it's a lot harder. While you do fully regen between levels, potions are more scarce, you get less SP and levels in general seem tougher. The items even the playing field a bit but it's still rough compared to RW1.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I finished the campaign and completed all the unlocks for The Last Spell and had a blast with it overall. I found it to be a fairly successful blend of roguelike, tower defense, and tactical RPG. While I wouldn't call it the peak example of any of its genre forebears, it does well enough at its individual elements to give a pretty singular and unique experience as a whole.

Fair warning, maps can take quite a long time to clear. My average was around a dozen hours per map which I would split up into several gaming sessions throughout a week. This has the unfortunate side effect of making the metaprogression feel a bit grindy, IMHO. While you can unlock things after a night clears, some bonuses won't be available until you start a fresh map. I'd even say you don't really get into the meat of character building until you've at least unlocked all the weapons and a few select gear sets in order to fully see what possibilities are at your fingertips -- and that alone can take some time depending on your play rate, prioritization of other meta unlocks, and chosen apocalypse level.

Speaking of character building, I have to say that was the aspect I enjoyed the most of the game. The fact that everything is randomized (including traits, what attributes you can select from at level up, and even your perk tree) helps keep things fresh and encourages you to experiment. I eventually settled on my ideal version of builds where I knew I would have a god-tier hero if they happened to hit all the right prerequisites. But more often than not a hero would be missing some keystone perk or just roll badly/unexpectedly when leveling up, and I'd have to pivot to something else. The most fun I've had is trying to salvage a hero and make the best out of a bad situation, like starting with a one armed hero who nonetheless managed to be a highly mobile fencer who could weave in and out between enemies and didn't let the fact that they couldn't bear two-handed weapons or a shield/offhand weapon hold them back. Weapons for the most part are decently balanced; some are clearly head and shoulders above others and there are a few that are suboptimal and may need more tuning, but there's a wide gamut of serviceable weapons that you could fit around a build or suits a certain niche like early game carry.

One complaint I'll bring up is that some maps can be a significant step up in difficulty in unexpected ways. Each map has its own unique challenge to mix up the standard gameplay of wave defense which may not be revealed until the boss battle. These can be a hard stop if you weren't prepared to overcome their gimmick, particularly the last two maps. Despite this, I still think you should go into them blind and not spoil them for yourself. I managed to beat the final maps on my first try, but I had optimized builds at that point and had several heroes on my team who happened to be tuned exactly to deal with the threat. I could see it being frustrating for a player who managed to survive to the end but then stalled out because they had no counter for this curveball thrown at you. I'm not going to grouse too much about this because it did make boss fights feel appropriately tense and grueling, and you'll only have the first time playing each map to be fully surprised by it.

All said and done, I put in over a hundred hours into the game and had fun with it. I'd definitely say I got my money's worth and would even return for more if a new DLC ever drops.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

HP and spell charges refreshing after every floor has made Rift Wizard 2 vastly less exhausting to play compared to the original, since I don't have that RPG hoarder's instinct interfering with clearing a floor anymore. Just spawn into a new rift and un-fuckin-load on everything. This is an extremely good change and I find myself going for longer sessions with RW2 before needing a break.

It's significantly more difficult than the first game, though.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Razakai posted:

First impressions of RW2 is that it's a lot harder. While you do fully regen between levels, potions are more scarce, you get less SP and levels in general seem tougher. The items even the playing field a bit but it's still rough compared to RW1.

I'm having a lot of luck using the minion spawning skills (bone guard, hound lord) to stabilize early on. RW2 is an absolute blast to play. No longer having to worry about conserving charges over several levels is great, and no longer being able to cheese the game means you're forced to buy a bunch of low level spells, which then automatically makes you more resistant to getting hosed by resist mobs. To me it just feels like a straight upgrade from RW1, which I also loved

No I haven't won yet lol

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

HP and spell charges refreshing after every floor has made Rift Wizard 2 vastly less exhausting to play compared to the original, since I don't have that RPG hoarder's instinct interfering with clearing a floor anymore. Just spawn into a new rift and un-fuckin-load on everything. This is an extremely good change and I find myself going for longer sessions with RW2 before needing a break.

It's significantly more difficult than the first game, though.

I've seen you recommend the first game a lot, and I've been wanting to get into it now that my accessibility options are expanding. Would you recommend somebody buy and start with the first one, or just skip to the second?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
rift wizard 2 owns so far, just annihilated myself with the new arc lightning