Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I can't find any sort of explanation of what all the different pickups in the Skulltag Arena mod for DoomRL do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The tiles are definitely very good, but I prefer ASCII just because I can see the whole map at once, without panning around everywhere.

You need a bigger monitor. For roguelikes.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

ProfessorProf posted:

Would you say Pixel Dungeon is more of an iPad game, or would it work fine on a phone?

It works fine on a phone in portrait or landscape mode. I played it for months before I switched to an iPhone and it's the game I miss most.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Anyone still playing DoomRL? How long do they usually go between versions? It's been a year and change.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

That's not available yet, though, right?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I wish we could get a portable Stone Crawl

There is an android version.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

I'm trying to set up CotND for play with an Xbox 360 controller and while the directional movements and pause button work fine, there is evidently no confirm button nor any way to get out of the pause menu without using the keyboard once I'm in it.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Necrodancer's hardcore mode seems kind of BS. You start off with only two heart containers, so most of the dangerous enemies will one-shot you. Unless you get lucky and the first shop sells an extra heart container or some good armor, you'll die from a single mistake.

I too hate it when hard mode is hard.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Nitpick: XCOM:EU doesn't have random map generation.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

The map pool is pretty big and each one has a few starting locations, but yeah, they're premade.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

So is Jupiter Hell ever happening? I've been chomping at the bit ever since DoomRL stopped getting updates.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Awesome! posted:

there is an equipment slot for "floating nearby" and i am excited about that

Oh man I'm having dikumud flashbacks.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Unormal posted:

drat, son, they didn't even ask if Sproggiwood wanted to be in it. :colbert:

good because i bought it three days ago

edit: and now I am also a dungeonmanser

Dross fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 23, 2015

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

How good is Sunless Sea?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Lilli posted:

How do you even play DoomRL without sound? That poo poo is so helpful.

And more importantly, that poo poo is Doom.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

My practice DoomRL run before I LP it for the thread just ended on Deimos with me at low health, no protective boots drop, and a river of acid between me and the stairs. :saddowns:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

TWIST FIST posted:

4 loving agility mods in the space of 2 levels

ive found like 9 so far

So that's where all mine went. I got all the way to halfway through episode 3 yesterday with Steel Boots (A)

I have seen like 2 power mods total in my last 8-9 games. It sucks having to move to pump the shotgun.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Floodkiller posted:

You can actually pump the shotgun in place by hitting the reload key. Moving is still probably better because it lets you dodge, though.

Yeah, in later levels you pretty much want to spend as much time as possible running if you're shotgun built.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

What does the AM in YAAM stand for?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

What weapon is Gunrunner usually used with? Shotguns? That seems dangerous.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

It only works with shotguns, pistols, rockets, (not counting storm bolter or GCB) and BFGs that aren't the BFG10k. Shotguns and rockets benefit from Shottyman during this, though doing this with rockets is probably not the best idea most of the time.

I was thinking more along the lines of barrels/items being uncontrollably blasted if you're firing a shotgun every time you move.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

andrew smash posted:

Is there an .ini file or something i can edit to get all the poo poo unlocked in doomrl? I built a new machine between now and the last time i played it and i completely forgot that you have to do a boring run before you can play angel games.

Player.wad and score.wad are the files you need to bring over if you still have the old install you were playing somewhere.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

I've now made it down to floor 44 in DoomRL on my HMP Ao100 run. Holy poo poo having sound makes a big difference. Just being able to go "oh, there's an archvile nearby, I should use rockets" is huge.

I also haven't had any crashes or lag with the new sound code, so I'll probably turn it on-by-default on the server soon.

Gibbed corpses can't be resurrected, right?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Speaking of weapon restricted Angel runs, my favorite thing about Angel of Shotgunnery is when no sergeants spawn on Phobos 2 and you can't do Hell's Arena without running out of ammo.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

victrix posted:

If you dig dredmore even a little, get dungeonmans.

Seconded, also that game needs a wiki and some general strategy tips. I started playing it last week and I'm hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Tollymain posted:

i find that i don't play the "mash my face against every wall" game in roguelikes nearly as much as i do in non-procedurally generated games because if that knowledge of where the secret's hiding isn't going to help future games the reward:effort ratio goes way the gently caress down

How many times do you replay the average non-procedural game?