Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

100 rogues is pretty nice. Its well known for having a decent control scheme for a mobile game and does a good job at being a quick fix on the go. Downsides have largely been updates that crash all the dang time and some truly lovely deaths due to things like food just refusing to drop and hunger killing you. I have had hunger kill me many times within the first few floors due to just all too common bad luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

http://store.steampowered.com/app/371970/
Barony claims to be both roguelike and Co-op online. It also namedrops system shock and ultima. Any one have a hands on this minecraft looking game?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

1.T.O.M.E. - Its not the best at any one thing but man its accessible and doesn't waste my time
2.Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon Its just dang fun,
3.Eitrain Odyessy 4 3ds its not procedural but the dungeons are well crafted, and death sure is hangin out
4.Don't Starve PC fun!
5.Invisible Inc. PC Again accessible
6. Risk of Rain PC When it isnt BUSY loving CRASHING OR making GBS threads ON MULTIPLAYER MODE
7.Dungeon of Endless PC just wish its multiplayer worked out better.
8. Binding Of issac
9. Shiren The Wanderer -classy game
10. Splelunky

HM. CKII the political roguelike

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 2, 2015

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

We need a rougelike master mod that each death places you in a different roguelike, I dub thee Quantum Sliders von Groundhog.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Darkest Dungeon does in indeed have a fail state. Its getting screwed up enough by bad luck that you have so much boring grind to get back where you were. Its such a slog.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Awesome! posted:

this definitely seems to be the most common complaint about the game that isnt like "wah the devs added corpses"

The corpses are a moot point with the positioning working both ways. But jesus you can spend hours feeling like you got nowhere. My issue is the amount of RNG use. Sad unit? Let them blow off steam. Unit blowing off steam? RNG might make them disappear or get other problems. I'm surprised they didn't make upgrading gear randomly give you inferior gear some times rather than what you paid for.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

drink_bleach posted:

I felt this way exactly while playing it in early access. I can't even bring myself to play the release version.

When I think of Darkest Dungeon it feels like it was a second job to me, not really fun. Just like welp gotta go grind up a new unit of type X because of some horrible critical chance that could not be avoided in any way.

Its got a bunch of screw formation also count one of your men out boss fights that are just dumb on their head. I play for the fleeting moments that its sometimes not screwing me and its actually fun. Then I remember I have better games to play.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This man gets it.

also I don't know what kind of roguelikes you have been playing Junkie Disease, but DD is much easier / easier to understand than most of them. The only thing you can't see is the turn order, but all the stats are listed along with hit chances etc. I guess maybe if you are coming from something like sproggiwood then DD would seem overwhelming. Coming from any other roguelike, the barrier for entry is surprisingly low.

Its not the easier part its the giant slog of a grind for upgrading and the excitement that comes with losing key components or being punished for having classes that are pretty much dead on a shuffle. Mostly its a excellent wrapper on a game that for me is rarely fun and seems to go out of its way to be tedious. There is so many elements that if they removed I don't think anyone would miss them. Diseases, members lost/out on a bender, and the slow pace of upgrading the city don't contribute to my enjoyment but they sure add extra turns of just doing sorties.
Oh and my level 3 guy wont go fight the wizend hag because its beneath him is just a gate to put the difficulty balance in my court.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

packetmantis posted:

Are you playing a different game than the rest of us? Grinding for heirlooms is absolutely not required, you'll get plenty of them in the course of leveling up your guys. Diseases and benders are meant to encourage you to diversify your team... which I guess you aren't doing, given the solution to "help my leper got shifted to the back row by this fish-shove and he's now useless" is "bring a different team or change some skills around." Not exactly rocket surgery.

No its not rocket surgery. Diversifying is also a part of the game that is forced and that is fine. Cant choose your faves often due to the stress or the other issues that come with a run. But that is not the problem I have. I stated them already. Its the tedium and like Mercery_Storm said, much of gamey elements make the game better just longer.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Bring a more diverse team if you are getting destroyed in a shuffle(is this even possible?)
You don't need to grind to level up the city. Just focus on the stagecoach then the guild and armorsmith as your guys hit the next level. You should have plenty of resources once this happens because you should have a large roster of people to level.
Have more teams of dudes so you can afford to lose a few to stress relief rng which rarely happens anyways.
I'm sorry you can't stomp on the level 1 boss with level 6 dudes.

Honestly it just sounds like this isn't your kind of game. Sounds like you want to get your perfect party going where nothing bad happens to them and crush the game.
Or you are bad at it. Or both.

Yea it sucks the game makes you play the game.

I love CKII and the "oh poo poo happens" and your job is to spin it to your favor. And I am playing largely your way its just so drat slow. And I don't want to give much away but bosses like the Hag are not fun for many teams. If you happen to have the right set up to beat her its due to some luck or you come back with the right team. Reminds me of the dumb hell that is FTL's final boss.
Its OK to not like darkest dungeon. Its going in my bin with Dreadmor of "I don't have the patience to find this games "fun"".

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

FTL's final boss is great, though. I know we keep going over this in this thread, again and again, but unless you gently caress up along the way building towards the final boss it's virtually always possible to beat it, and there's tons of viable builds to fight it with

Its the without prior knowledge that you need to build for that boss is the problem though. I love every other inch of FTL though. I wish they would update it with player ghost ships. I'm sure its been said before lets move it on to greener pastures.

http://necropolisgame.com/

4 player coop rogueish game. Chances of this being good are decent. Shadowrun was at least well presented.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 23, 2016

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

"Pain don't hurt" - Rogue House

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 23, 2016

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

If you have a brain you do level 1 bosses with your level 2 characters as soon as they hit level 2, it's really not a problem in practice unless you go out of your way to make it one

Doesn't stop it from being a stupid practice. Hey level 3 bounty hunter wanna fight evil witch theres money and fame in it? Nah its beneath me. Also i have rabies and I'm nightblind put me in the sanctuary for 2 more turns.
Its a system they put in place to solve a "flaw" in their design. Higher level peeps make lower level bosses easier.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I think that whatever you cook well is sold for "loot" but you have to eat mistakes.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Switch needs more Roguelikes. Like all of them.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Arivia posted:

Nintendo please be the first gaming company to make a purpose-built vi-key keyboard.

Tome and dungeonmans stat! I know Chunsofts a gimme

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I would snap buy Sproggiwood: Switch Edition, HINT HINT to certain posters in this thread :colbert:

HINT HINT

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Just managed to beat Legend of Dungeon for the first time, using the Necromancer. Some advice:

• Regardless of who you're playing, mobility is king; you need it to avoid damage, and you NEED it to sprint through the absolute clusterfuck that ensues when you try to ascend with a rescued character. Nimble and ethereal are the best enchantments in the game and the coffee mug is the best hat in the game. The sultan's coffee is a bad melee weapon due to its awful reach, however.

• If you find a blacksmith, take off your hat and just spend every last penny upgrading it. Upgrading has a chance to add enchantments, and the item's enchantments are upgraded as well as its stats whenever the smith hammers it, so burning 1,000 gold on a good hat will usually land you with a godlike superhat that makes you atrociously fast and acrobatic. Very useful for running screaming from wraiths or jumping clear over huge mobs of assholes instead of bothering to fight them.

• Keep your inventory organized. If you're not going to use something, throw it in a corner or in a lava pit. Having to stop to rifle through your stuff looking for a specific item will get you killed sooner or later.

• Hoard potions. Don't start using them until you're running out of apples and have a big stockpile of potions; this lets you drink one from each stack and see which are beneficial. Don't throw away your bad potions - organize your inventory such that bad potions are in a designated area away from the good stuff, so any further bad potions you pick up simply stack into the "don't drink these" section of your items.

• Huge slow weapons like the war hammer are usually a trap. The Knight may find them useful for their reach, but they're generally not as good as a decently fast weapon with good reach. You need to be fighting defensively and scoring hits without sustaining damage. The only exception to this is the Scythe as that thing will oneshot most enemies, but watch out - it doesn't hit enemies immediately adjacent to you.

• Pick up a fire sword when you get the chance. It's not the best weapon and it's not as bright as the lantern, but it's one of the only weapons that lets you fight and still see what the hell you're doing in dark rooms. An absolute must-have unless you're the Knight and can just crush everything with the lantern using your freakish strength.

• Immediately pick up every kitten you see. Dump your kittens in out of the way rooms you don't plan to return to. Trust me. You don't want to see what happens when one of them dies.

• Don't play as the Knight if you're trying to win the game solo. He's great for unlocking other characters, but he's absolutely hosed if you run into a lot of Wraiths or Evil Warlocks, and god help you when it's time to face the final boss.

• If you aren't playing as a no-magic character and you have the means to do so reasonably safely, you absolutely want to kill the Devil whenever you see him until you get his spellbook. Succubus summoning is one of the best spells in the goddamn game - it charges fast, you can have 10 of them out at once, and they move quick as hell and hit really hard. The Necromancer in particular can basically crush the whole dungeon with this spell and a modicum of caution.

Great little game :) I still need to unlock the Wizard but so far Necromancer is absolutely dope as hell.

Sure it's Legend of Dungeon?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

They made it fun?!?! I was all over it day one and just was so drat let down, I don't remember classes at all.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

https://youtu.be/Zwz7cqcSS0o tangledeep early 2018 on switch I'm doomed

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

For the King
howizit. I see roguelike and coop online. Its hard to stay my hand.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Who do I harrass to get more goon's Roguelikes on Switch?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I need more rogues on Switch.
I know tangledeeps coming and there's a few OK ones already. But I need more.
Portability is rocking my rogue heart.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Do what I do. Buy tangledeeps PC now. And then again on Switch.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

heck why not buy copies for all your friends too

Thats when the sale happens
I can't express how excited I am for portable Roguelikes. This Switch thing is a godsend.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I got terrible news,
Unexplored will be on Switch with all its dlc next week.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Portable Rogue games is unhealthy

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I'd marry a roguelike on switch I'm a poligimist now

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Thea the Awakening and Tangledeep is on my switch and i have too high a fever to be coherent enough to play
Halp

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

LordSloth posted:

You sound qualified to become a tester! Play away!

Failing that, consider playing Deathstate on Steam or PS4. I cannot see any better match for fever dreams.

I already have Tangle on pc but I can't stress enough how much being able to play when I want often equates to when "i can".
Your team putting this on switch is a major boon and didnt make me second guess buying it twice. I think I had under an hour on pc to dabble with it.
Fevers gone now so I'll try and keep you up to date with any suggestions. Just noticed Touch Screen enabled. Good start

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Well open thank you to all who put roguelikes on Switch, its made trying times way easier than the PC that sits at home.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

When did the formula change from
Fun Levels - Money spent X coolness = Worthatude?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

there is in fact Quite a lot of Hellboy comics and Mignolia has been drawing for quite some time like himself before that
All good

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

so hows Keeper RL?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

It looks like it's still in active development, what issues remain?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

OutOfPrint posted:

It's really boring. If you're looking for a Dwarf Fortress style colony builder, RimWorld is much better.

But I have rimworld and i want minions!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Tons of Roguish games on switch eshop sale atm
Wondering if Im missing out on any lesser known good switch ports,
Robot Named Fight is 99cents
Any other notables?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I watched a little of a stream of it, it took a few tries to get going but they were really excited for its potential. Can anyone say anything positive about Stoneshard or is it just stay away for now

It's action packed, got some decent writing, the injury system, and hunger/thirst system don't feel like a chore, and it looks like a souped up 32 bit game.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Katanakam is freaking fun, it has a dedicated kowtow button I'm using to pound deadly snakes into chorizo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

Which version of Slay the Spire you guys reccomend the most? Gog.com or Steam?

Switch, it's portable zen