Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

quiggy posted:

Forks: Not a fork per se, but two sequels, one on N64 (Japan only) and one on Wii. Neither are considered as good as the original.

Yo you do not even know how many loving branches of that tree there are. Offhand I can think of two major "spinoffs" (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, the Chocobo's Dungeon games), at least one which never seemed to get much love that played with fun concepts (the two Torneko games, one on SFC, the other on PS1), and I want to say there's another I'm forgetting here.

Those are totally forks, given that a lot of them are from the same company (Chunsoft).

edit: Holy poo poo there were 4 more Torneko/Dragon Quest mystery dungeon games I never even knew existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah, I guess I got a little weird there, sorry. I just figure it's probably worth mentioning given that each basically did add their own mechanics or change things up, sometimes massively more than your average roguelike fork.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Ogmius815 posted:

Is there any interest in having a Rogue Legacy thread? We don't seem to have and I wouldn't want to talk about it here because it's very clearly not a roguelike at all.

It's existed for a while.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Rapacity posted:

The Pit is a legit great roguelike and is absolutely not broken or hacky or any of that. I honestly don't care about whatever drama the devs have participated in. I will say that I've spent a bit of time over at their forums and the devs' tone is pretty loving hostile but so what? It's a fantastic game and you're maybe missing out by taking that poo poo on board.

The Pit was funded in a kickstarter campaign wherein the devs held their prior game hostage, claiming at one point that no new patches were coming for an atrociously broken game until The Pit had become solvent.

You should absolutely not give Kerberos money, because they are in no way developers with a good track record of finishing what they start, OR respecting you as a consumer.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

uPen posted:

Holy poo poo Kerberos made that? :psyduck:

I didn't think I could lose more respect for them, jesus christ. This is exactly how I felt when I learned that WarZ had one of the main dudes behind Big Rigs behind it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Absolutely none, and if you're not some streaming rear end in a top hat with a fanbase/at one of the shows where it goes every other month with a DDR pad, good luck playing it anytime soon.

I'm totally not getting spiteful that I preordered day one and the only thing the dev ever talks about is whichever idiot he gave a build to this week and where their twitch.tv channel is, no siree.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I think someone else in here said it already, but holy shiiiiiiit avoid the Goatperson DLC in Desktop Dungeons unless you really want the triple-quests challenge mode. I just unlocked the little bastard and my god that is the worst thing.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Chinook posted:

I think the issue with them is that they made Hack, Slash, Loot.

Basically this.

If you don't know HSL, someone gave the perfect summary of it in the Steam thread today: "Roll a d20. If it's 20 you win, otherwise, enjoy a loss." There is absolutely no 'gameplay' to the game - you either find powerups in a barrel or you find a goblin and he kills you. Repeat over and over until at the boss.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'll also chime in and point out Teleglitch constantly crashed for me. (Yes, the Steam build.) I'd try taking any single teleporter out of level one and it'd crash every time.

This was sort of miserable given the permadeath nature of the game.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
So unless I'm being hosed with on April 1st, Crypt of the Necrodancer buyers will have alpha builds of the game beginning on April 30th.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

dis astranagant posted:

Princess Maker RL.

Wait, this is a thing? My god.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Klaus Kinski posted:

Rogue's tale is on indieroyale in case you've wanted to try it. It's still not super cheap but comes with a bunch of shovelware you'll probably never play!

Continue etc. is actually supposed to be a solid if weird adventure title, and Cognition IS solid, no weirdness involved. Kinda odd they're giving ep. 3 of 4 only though.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

ProfessorProf posted:

I beat the main campaign of Desktop Dungeons, but I'm still not convinced that some of the postgame content (Vicious Steel :qq:) isn't functionally impossible to clear.

Oh, it's doable. Even the ludicrous three-tier dungeons in the Goatperson DLC can be finished. Apparently those are considered to be the peak of "fair" difficulty by the designers, I asked if the taunt at the end about harder quests would ever come about and they said it wasn't really meant to be requested.

Oops.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Those are usually pretty easy to avoid, anyways. I think the orc parties might be temporarily removed since the Breeding Pits were nixed? Either that or it's not possible to get rid of them right now, but yeah.

According to a mod that restores the BP, yeah, you currently can't remove them.

Also, I now know you can remove them! I was playing through that game real slow before the new patch wiped all saves. Two tribes down, damnit.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Unormal posted:

TJIQ6-I3B93-VARX7

Gonna futz about with this! Thankya.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

GetDunked posted:

Nicalis kind of botched the port.

God, it's depressing that people keep working with them, because that single sentence is their history in a nutshell.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Unormal posted:

No but it is now on my kindle for when I finally purge myself of the horrid Wheel of Time series, which I'm finally finishing my first (and last) read-through of. My teenage self that got partway through the series before giving up on it made me. (halfway through book 14 of 15 :gonk:)

Good luck. The final novel is actually a pretty good capstone, you just wish it had come about 20k words sooner.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is Coin Crypt good? It was in some random two-dollar bundle and I remember the name so it must not be mediocre - but, well, quality can go in one direction or the other, right?

It's pretty solid and has a good balance of RNG/skill but it was sort of eclipsed by being entirely redone while in EA killing its momentum, and then that whole "Binding of Isaac" thing smashed into the genre.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Samizdata posted:

If I had either
A] Money
or
B] A way to pay online,

I would be on that like white on rice. (Or maybe brown.)

You should probably find me on Steam then. So there.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

There's a roguelike that I can't remember the name of. It's a game about being a Spanish explorer setting out to colonize the new world. A big chunk of the game was actually sailing over to the Americas, but I think there was a colonization aspect to the game as well once you hit land. You would start in Spain and gather supplies for your expedition like in Oregon Trail. Then you would talk to the Queen to get funding for your expedition and set off. The sailing was pretty difficult and I never actually made it past that part. Does anyone know what the hell I'm thinking of?

Renowned Explorers?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

alarumklok posted:

Also, nobody mentioned HSL. There has to be SOMEONE with awful enough taste to like it, otherwise who made it?

Even I won't defend it, and I have the worst taste in this thread. HSL is barely interactive, much less a good game.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Samizdata posted:

(Liar. I keep tripping over games we both have, and my taste doesn't suck.)

Yeah, but it is near impossible not to share 99% of your library with me if you have me on Steam, because I have A Problem in the form of ~3500 games.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Zereth posted:

jesus christ do you buy every bundle you come across or something

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: and every single title that goes beneath $1 on Steam sales! Kill me!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

madjackmcmad posted:

:siren:lovely Roguelike On The Cheap Alart:siren:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/344750/

DEADLY PROFITS is 50 cents this week!

37% positive reviews :cabot:

Hmph!

Everyone says it is total garbage but so are most of us, so someone pony up 50 cents and play this.

I apparently owned it already. Installing now.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I feel like you could take ridiculous inspiration from the Rune Factory games, wherein eating food restores health/stamina and gives buffs, BUT you also level up your Eating skill to get better stats, BUT you level up Cooking by making your own meals for less stamina/having better results, AND your skill influences whether you learn new recipes easily, plus you have to craft/trade for new cooking stations but later upgrades let you merge things for less room...

Basically a lot of the systems give you room to dick around with in concept.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I just screamed out loud because my very stage 4 clear on Necrodancer was going so well, got to the second phase of the boss, and then... I sneezed. And died.

This is not a problem I have in other roguelikes, god damnit.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Thirsty Dog posted:

Can you elaborate on the epic store? Given how it launched to major fanfare I'm surprised to see someone claim it's a danger.

The short version is that since Epic store accounts double as Fortnite accounts, and they did some real hacky poo poo to save PayPal credentials, those things get bot-spammed with hacking attempts on the regular. Near daily.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Reiterpallasch posted:

This has been passing around my social media stuff lately, no idea on veracity:

https://twitter.com/AndyChalk/status/1103003123713372160

The goal behind this was originally "a lot of places that allow you to donate with purchase (AmazonSmile was another target I've seen) seem to have no issue with/no idea about plague enthusiasts slipping into their options, make some noise", but there's a specific set of people who choose instead to take this campaign and go full hyperbole with it, calling an option "support" without any context.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

DrManiac posted:

The buddy system seems like it was exclusively designed for co-op because they have pretty much 0 a.i and are pretty much useless outside of taking a bit of aggro off you.

It... it was. That wasn't in the Wii or DS ones in any form, it's the most tacked on thing in the port.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It doesn't help.

One of my partners loving loves the game and has tried to get me to give it a go every major patch. The grindiness of the progression, the sheer user-hatred of the UI and design decisions like the active reload system, and just how much of a chore it can be to even tell what's happening on a screen until you've invested enough time to decipher whatever visual language it speaks inconsistently mean that I always bounce back off, even with her trying to shepard me through early runs or pointing out "the newbie class".

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

nrook posted:

There's an old SNES game called Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer, with an improved DS port, which fits the bill. It's simple and rewarding, and has a fair amount of story and a lot of character. It's not too long, either, so you don't have the soul-killing experience common in roguelikes of dying 12 hours in and losing everything.

Chunsoft has made a ton of mystery dungeon games but as far as I can tell this is the only good one. It's really good, though.

That last bit is a wild statement imo, unless you specifically mean "only the ones Chunsoft made" because they also made the incredibly good Dragon Quest MD titles. There's also a rumor that Shiren's latest game will hit PC soon but it's only been seen on the platform in a Chinese sizzle reel for Steam.

(Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon on the Switch also rocks, but again, not Chunsoft.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

And so I think having 400 hours and leaving a negative review is dishonest.

You almost had something but this sentence is buckwild, my dude

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
How the gently caress did none of you point out the top-tier Chocobo's Dungeon game on Switch, do not sleep on that game. It sincerely owns and its a vastly improved and expanded port of the Wii title.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Magitek posted:

Holy poo poo, that track really goes places

Oh my god

I had never engaged co-op, neither of my roommates wanted to hop in on my file instead of playing their own. That was loving wild.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've honestly never been a fan of "memorize these 500 icons so you can know what this thing does before it permanently glues itself to your character" as a gameplay concept.

I am so loving glad Demoncrawl gives you both an encyclopedia to search for effects you've seen, and lets you hover over a merchant for a second to see a crawl display their item's stats/effect. It's a lovely little thing I wish more titles would account for.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Jack Trades posted:

How many roguelikes/lites have some sort of luck stat mechanics where you can actively improve your RNG?

You can do that in Synthetik and it makes for some really cool runs when you manage to get really high Luck stat.

Demoncrawl has a few items with effects like this, but no luck "stat" per se.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

RoboCicero posted:

Demoncrawl is a hell of a game. It's heavy on the metaprogression, but it's one of the wildest cases of game dev maximalism i've ever seen. You start and you're like "oh, minesweeper and monsters and items, got it", and then you're like "ah, mana." "oh, omens are negative items", "shops and npcs, cool", "elemental aura effects?" "bosses?" "special chests???" "masteries?" "morality system????"

It's loving wild how many different styles of play you can bring to that game, especially once you get masteries and favored items. Apparently mine is opposed to a lot of folks' based on the fact that two of the jobs I've never unlocked are some of the most-earned according to achievements.

The multi-player/autobattler mode is also loving wild and I love running it while I do podcast edits, it's actually taught me some better play strategies at times.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Arzaac posted:

Wait I dabbled in DemonCrawl before but

What?

What???

The morality system doesn't play in for most runs but some jobs/items/stage mods/the Holiday event make mention. If you kill monsters, get a Legendary item, or for every 5 coins of treasure you leave behind as a "Charitable" bonus on a stage, +1 morality. Every stranger you kill, or Omen you gain drops it -1. A few items make reference to your absolute morality stat, and the Human class does wild things based off of it.

As for the auto-battler: you pick from a class and a "home stage" at the beginning, and then it shuffles you through other people's levels at random. They have their own inventory, stage mods, etc., you're trying to be the last man standing. You can spend coins on leveling up the stage (making it bigger, more monsters, add mods or bosses), buying items for yourself, or sometimes hitting a third bonus between levels. It comes in automatic and manual modes. It's real fun.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Oh, and once you clear a Hard campaign in Demoncrawl, the dailies do some wild poo poo (and can be repeated if you wanna bring in a different class or gear). "Every time you unveil a 5+ you gain a curse for that board" will set you up for some wild cascades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

goferchan posted:

Honestly I haven't really played Demoncrawl in almost a year, as fond as I am of it. All this "Special Chest" stuff looks kind of cool. I've always had Electric as my go-to mastery especially because it seems like the most consistent way to kill bosses and I hate dealing with their bullshit, but are there some other cool ones I should try? I played Scout a bunch too when I was new.

Scout is one I was going to point at, Witch is slept on way too often because it's one of the only things that can do pure damage mitigation, not just "reduce to 1" (and it can also let you shed particularly nasty stage mods, too). Guardian has it as well in a more limited route, rendering you immune to life loss aside from damage (ie, shrug off some omens/curses). Now that Firefly grants burn immunity, that plus a couple of items can turn you into a monster/boss-slaying combo machine. Demolitionist is fun but incredibly hazardous to your health unless you get a good item for it. However, it can also take some of the guesswork out of a bad field since you can HURL barrels instead of just clicking to explosion.