Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Jupiter ship in CC is just hilariously busted strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would say the opposite, Slave Zero X is awkward and poorly designed on almost every level.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tea Party Crasher posted:

For me it would be because sometimes I get the sensation that rogue-like is more of a marketing term than a meaningful genre classification. I'm sure there are plenty of us who do enjoy deck builders, I know I do, but even I get a little annoyed sometimes when I look up the rogue like category in steam and it's flooded with primarily deck builders.

I think it would be easier for people to find what they want If you were to snip the thin membrane between them and just let them be their own distinct genres. Like why can't deck builders just be deck builders?

Because 'deck builder' is an even more obscure term than roguelike and can refer to all kinds of games from Yu-gi-oh style CCGs to Slay the Spire.

"Roguelike Deckbuilder" neatly clarifies "A deckbuilder designed around single runs with minimal to no carry over where building your deck from scratch each run is considered part of the game"

Sure, I hope you're prepared for the same burst combo done over and over again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't really buy that somehow deck builder is obscure, but rogue-like deck builder isn't. You build your deck and start over from scratch each time when playing Ascension, but I wouldn't call it a rogue-like

"Obscure" meaning "unclear" not "Unknown." Deckbuilders can be tons of different things and if you want to play Slay the Spire you don't necessarily want to play Midnight Suns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anyone playing that new backpack battles game? I'm having a good time with it. I'm glad someone finally looked at the resident evil 4 briefcase inventory and went "This could just be the whole game"

It looks like a knockoff of Backpack Hero to me but I guess PVP?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2455920/Mimic_Logic/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256982748/movie480_vp9.webm

Do you like the "one of these guys always lies, and one always tells the truth" kind of logic puzzle? Here it is as a roguelike. Pretty neat for $3.99.

It is a fun game though it is very slow to get off the ground

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DD2 was, to me, way too slow. The carriage stuff all draaaaagggged which goes against what is usually the most fun part of the STS-type titles, which is that they are punchy, quick and have relatively little downtime. If it was faster paced I'd probably have liked it a lot more but it felt slow in all the wrong places. DD1 being slower is fine because it wasn't aiming for the same speedy tone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

victrix posted:

the pace complaint is really strange to me since that's like the most fundamental thing DD2 fixed over the original, you can finish a whole run in one evening session

I kinda fell off with it after finishing though because the "stuff your team full of positive relationship buffs" was basically the entire secret to winning once you absorbed how to handle the combat in general

also the story was nonsense, which is a funny complaint I think, but it made the game worse for me nonetheless

I should be clear that I mean its pace as a slay-the-spire run game. It's faster than DD1 but slower than a lot of other things in the same niche.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tequila Bob posted:

Y'all are forgetting that Spelunky is a great action rogue that has basically none of those issues. We need more games like Spelunky.

People didn't even like the second Spelunky.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will take feeling overpowered to feeling underpowered which is a common problem. Games that try to be 'hard' and mean you are plinking at a boss' health bar are the worst.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

"hard" and "tedious" are two very different concepts.

They are, but a lot of developers mistake one for the other. A hard boss fight should still be over (relatively) quickly, it just demands more execution from you, rather than being hard because you're doing .01% damage because you got unlucky with RNG.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So the problem with the bosses being the hardest part of the game is that bosses are generally where you shake up your formula. They can have gimmicks that, if given to regular enemies, would outstay their welcome, but are OK because the boss is a one-off. This is valuable for introducing variety, but it can also easily end up being a run-killer. How many roguelikes have you played where you were perfectly capable of handling the regular game, then you got a "bad boss" that hard-countered your build and there was nothing you could do about it? It doesn't happen in every game, but it's sure not uncommon either.

(and yeah, I should clarify that I was talking about bosses in roguelikes, God Hand can keep its tough final boss because if you lose, you just reload from a save point and try again, maybe after changing your loadout)

I would say that part of the point of roguelikes is making builds that can handle those situations. A strong build isn't one that is strong only in optimal conditions and if you get hard-blocked by a boss with a specific gimmick it usually means you invested too heavily in one specific path instead of finding ways to cover for your weaknesses.

If you die and lose, well, that's roguelikes. A major resource in roguelikes is information and how you use that information, and running into something that hard counters your build means you know next time you need to be wary of that situation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Nintendo and Pokémon Company are famously litigious though.

If you're trying to make money off it is the key there. They almost never go after stuff unless money is changing hands. Pretty much every major takedown is tied to either "it became a for profit thing" or "It was a direct active competition with something they were putting out at the same time".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I have extremely mixed feelings about a game as a big as Hades 2 being an EA game.

The original was an early access game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The store page says it has more environments etc in this current build than the entirety of Hades 1 which...Well I dunno if I believe that but it's pretty insane if true.

That is 100% accurate.

In addition to the full three underground areas the first two areas of the Mount Olympus section are also included.