Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

everyone play DoomRL, by the way. it's rad.

This is from a few days back but it bears repeating. Even if you played it :corsair: way back in the pre-tile days :corsair: and did everything there was to do, the newest version is loving spectacular and well worth starting fresh on. The tiles are crisp and evocative, the music is even sicker somehow, and there are new variant unique levels - the levels with guaranteed access to an Important Thing or some sort of continuity between them (like Hell's Arena -> Chained Court -> The Vaults) are static, but virtually everything else has a difficulty-equivalent but thematically and tactically distinct alternative that can spawn in its place.

For instance, most folks who played DoomRL extensively in the past will remember that legendary bastard deathtrap of a level, The Mortuary. It has a new version called Limbo, which replaces the Mortuary's giant arena full of Arch-Viles and a mountain of corpses with a lava sea dotted with islands, perilous bridges, Arch-Viles, and a somewhat smaller number of corpses - most of which are Revenants, Mancubi, and goddamn Nightmare enemies. It's an incredible shitstorm, every bit as tense as the original.

And, thanks to some good armour, plenty of consumables, a Plasmatic Double Shotgun, and a High-Powered Plasma Rifle with Ammochain, I loving beat it. Felt awesome as gently caress to scrap it out with the final boss in that sweet, sweet armour. :hellyeah: no full victory this time though, drat

vaguely related edit: For any players new to DoomRL, I'd recommend choosing Marine for your class at first. Technician and Scout have some amazing bonuses - Techs use consumables almost instantly and get monster ESP from computer maps, and Scouts run fast (more important than it sounds) and know where the stairs are (extremely important if you're not going for a 100% kill run) - but Marines are just flat-out tough as hell, have immediate access to one of the best general-purpose traits in the game (Badass), and have ludicrously strong master traits. Ammochain or Army of the Dead will completely tear 80% of your enemies to ribbons in no time flat, and they're fun as hell to boot.

I'd personally aim for Ammochain when you're starting out since a) it's just a hair short of being an infinite ammo cheat and b) vomiting 600 rounds per second while screaming nonstop is endlessly entertaining. Not having to worry about ammunition/inventory as much lets you focus more on learning some of the game's tactical vagaries, like how to properly dodge and use cover and which enemies Will Kill Your poo poo if you slug it out with them in the open, and you have room to experiment with other weapons in your prepared slot as well. A Double Shotgun is particularly good for shredding swarms of Lost Souls - fighting those on an Ammochain Marine can get really ugly if they catch you in the open.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Bobo the Red posted:

Had a weird experience my last game as all the dungeons were different (troll was full of water, that bear was an ice bear corpse) and harder and killed my beloved dwarf cursed.

In addition to what others are saying, bear in mind that Cursed can have a bit of a rougher start than other classes unless it's been significantly changed very recently. Cornac Cursed is a great combo for learning the game since you can just pile points into Rampage and not fret over generic points because gently caress racials I'm putting all my points in Kill Fuckers Harder (don't invest in cursed aura; you can put points in it much later on if you want but you have far better things to invest in for the first chunk of the game).

Rampage is goddamn ridiculous. Get Rampage and just go around smacking things until they hit you back and make you Super Mad, then freak out and zoom around at the speed of sound. Don't activate it yourself unless you need to use it to escape and rest.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Gladiator is better than Fighter, generally speaking; it's a much smoother and easier start since you don't have heavy armour and a big shield hampering your attacks and evasion. Aside from that, yeah, Minotaur and Gargoyle are the easiest possible choices if you want to play a dedicated melee scrapper. Minotaur gains combat skills absurdly fast and is quite tough in general, whereas Gargoyle is just functionally immune to drat near everything.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Indecisive posted:

Yeah if you aren't cheating in the unlock classes start with Alchemist, they are powerful but boring and you should be able to at least make progress once you get a handle on getting your golem to tank poo poo while you blow stuff up with gems.

Alchemist is actually a bit more interesting now that it has the different elemental infusion trees. Still a simple class that spends most of its time on two-button nuking, but at least there's more room for customization and you have more buttons to press in different situations.

Stelas posted:

Just stay away from Cursed - they're fun as hell but very dependant on passives, so they're more what you're describing - or Archers - who rely almost entirely on one or two buttons.

Cursed does spend a lot of time faceramming things to death, but after gaining a few levels it can get quite a bit more tactical depending on how you play it. Blindside and Reckless Charge open up some crazy positioning shenanigans, especially combined with Preternatural Senses. A lot of the straightforward Hit Mans talents are indeed kinda lackluster though, because it's a pain managing your Hate to use them to the fullest and most of the time you're better off just Rampaging at everything.

I wholeheartedly agree about Archers, however. Holy hell what a boring class.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Speaking of DoomRL, I'm still discovering new things about this game. I got one of those "where the hell is the way out of here!?" maze levels, but I started within view of the stairs.

"Where the hell is the way out of here!? ...Oh, there it is. D'oh."

:allears:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I agree, that's so delightfully surreal as to be almost Dwarf Fortress-esque. Makes me wish Chronomancer classes in ToME could do wonky stuff like that. Buggy/nonsensical consequences? Maybe you shouldn't deliberately bend spacetime with the power of paradox!!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Also, starting with Strong or Melee lets you kill the dogman at the start, while starting with both lets you destroy it without a scratch (warning: attempting to repeat this in non-scripted dogman battles may end badly for you). If you have the Trapping skill, you can use it, a glass shard, and the dogman's corpse to make yourself a warm, stylish, monstrously badass coat to walk around in. This helps greatly with early temperature problems. Trapping also lets you catch squirrels, cook them up, and make gloves and a coat out of them so you can be the Hobo King of the wasteland. Trapping is pretty goddamn good for survival in general.

Starting with Medic lets you get a medkit in the cryo facility (fairly handy), lets you diagnose your exact medical problems (quite handy), and makes you aware of the nature and value of drugs you find (surprisingly handy since selling drugs at the junk market is quite lucrative). It's not a critical skill, but if you have room for it, it's not a bad choice.

Athletic is very good since it helps you run away from poo poo, and lets you move further on the world map. Tough is better than you might think; in addition to making you a bit more resistant to pain and injury, it occasionally lets you headbutt opponents in combat, which is deceptively strong (I managed to headbutt a guy in the chest so hard that he immediately died, once).

My favourite starting build is good for figuring out the game, surviving for a long time, and committing lots of murder. I have taken to affectionately calling it the Ogre build. Here is how to make your own Ogre:

1. Take Strong, Tough, Melee, and Athletics. Grab the Insomnia drawback - I normally take Myopia but fixing it takes a long loving time and in the meantime it's a pretty big drawback, so just take Insomnia (which is sometimes quite annoying but rarely a big problem) instead. Using the extra slot you've opened up, take the Trapping skill.

2. Kill the poo poo out of that dogman with Strong and Melee. Finish the starting dialogue screen.

3. Go into the crafting menu and use Trapping, a glass shard, and the dogman corpse to make a sicknasty coat.

4. Put on the coat. Pick up the videotape and some glass shards.

5. Go scrounge for stuff in the nearest ruins. Make sure to grab some rags and some kind of container for your stuff. If you find a lighter, keep it on you forever. Same goes for a multitool. You also want to keep an eye out for a saucepan; that's your water purifier. Hoard at least three empty bottles to put boiled water in.

6. Go to the forest and grab a large branch. Combine it, your Melee skill, a couple of glass shards, and some rags to make a broad spear. You now have the best spear in the game.

7. Make fire. Boil water. Cook meat using fire and a large branch. Hunt. Raid. Scavenge. Headbutt things. Be a crude and violent Ogre. You can, in fact, eat people, but be aware that it will have Consequences that you might not like.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 24, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Thanks for the info.
Dogman Coat and Broad Spear solved all my early-game issues.

No problem! Enjoy your murder :buddy:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The Vaults are kind of a tossup - sometimes you get nothing good, sometimes there's some incredible loot. I skip them unless I cleared Hell's Arena and the Chained Court - the Arena Master's Staff automatically opens all the Vaults if you use it. Much easier than dicking around with phase devices.

I suggest a rapid-fire Marine for getting further in the game. Ammochain is probably the single most overpowered master trait for general-purpose murdering, since it lets you chain fire a plasma rifle every turn forever. Just use a shotgun at the very start, swap to a chaingun for dangerous enemies, and use a plasma rifle when you obtain one.

If you really like shotguns, remember that the double shotty is bad at long range and the combat shotgun does less damage than a regular shotgun for no benefit if you have Shottyman. Also, two Power mods on a regular shotgun makes A Good Gun that Shottymen will really like.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 28, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

This'll go real nice with my nanomachic sniper plasma rifle :unsmigghh:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Ao100 or just really drat lucky?

Ao100 Scavenger Technician. Other highlights: Malek's Armour, Cerberus Phaseshift Boots, Power+Nano Gothic Armour (I was shooting for Cybernano Gothic +Power but I never found a single Onyx Pack :smith:)

Ao100 gets pretty silly, but it's a fun palate cleanser. It's refreshing to occasionally dispense with all the special levels and boss battles to just rampage along endlessly, creating ever more overpowered weaponry and armour until you can shred a Cyberdemon and his three Arch-Vile buddies while cackling maniacally.

If I managed to make that ridiculous Nuclear Hellfucker in the regular game I'd probably shoot straight for a no-damage secret boss kill.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I've tried it a couple of times and oh god it's a horrible slog. I do plan to beat that loving thing sooner or later, though.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The Commando's attacks drop off a lot as the game goes on, I find. He's fast and mean but he just doesn't have the ability to wreak mass destruction against the nastier high-difficulty enemies. Don't dawdle with him.

You want to get through enough levels to use the Divine Teleporter to return to your crashed ship, kill a billion things as you fight your way to the bridge, and battle the final boss.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Commando gets really drat good with a few procs, since his normal is pretty much the fastest attack in the game.

Yeah, I articulated that badly. His basic mash attack is just flat out not good against groups of really tough enemies, and FMJ is great but can't carry the game for you at high difficulties. You need a ton of drones or some specific good items to keep the Commando killing at a steady pace on Insane+.

Almost any class can be really powerful with the right combination of items.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Honestly that post really makes me think of IVAN. Throw bottles in front of your townsfolk so they bleed to death from glass lacerations in their feet, then steal all their bananas, then tap-dance on the broken glass until your legs explode, then pray for magical legs made of iron. Then eat all the bananas so you're fat and can fight the sumo wrestler, and use your iron legs to overpower him and win his antigravity belt. Karate kick land mines at bosses and scum intelligence scrolls until you can talk to dolphins. Accidentally eat your own leg and get smitten by your god for offending him with cannibalism.

IVAN is a weird, horrible, hateful game. I need to play it again.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Michael Jackson posted:

It is a GREAT game if you want to die in hilarious ways. I am always afraid when i find a remotely useful item.

That's because remotely useful items literally directly increase your chances of dying. IVAN tracks your equipment (and limbs!!) and scales the danger level based upon how comparatively well-geared you are. There are guides out there saying that e.g. Leather Armour of Great Health or whatever is actually a death sentence, as the benefit it imparts is hugely outweighed by the hilariously strong enemies you will immediately start to encounter.

IVAN is a motherfucker of a game :allears:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Isn't there a strategy where you drop your entire inventory on the ground before going down any staircase in order to generate the level at a lower threat level?

There are all kinds of wonky strategies but sooner or later you're going to slip on a banana peel and somehow set yourself on fire and the wand you forgot you picked up will explode and blow off your legs and when you pray for new ones they'll be made of granite and you'll be so slow that when you take a step a goblin runs around the corner and cuts off both your arms and then you pray for new arms and your god gets mad at you and turns your legs into something weak and the goblin breaks your legs and punches you in the groin until you manage to roll away but whoops you rolled onto a land mine and every part of you was severed simultaneously. You died.

I really, really want to play IVAN now.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Ironically (yet appropriately for IVAN), the best IVAN character I ever had was a silly gimmick intended to die rapidly. I glassed off my own legs and got legs made of loving octiron (incredibly heavy super iron) from the smithing deity, and immediately proceeded to remedy absolutely every problem with kicks. Strong enemy? Kick him in the dick. Land mine? Kick it down the hallway. Locked chest? Kick it until it breaks. Kicks.

I kicked that screaming sonic-damage boss monster to death, then went down some stairs and met a dominatrix who whipped me in the face so hard that my head flew off.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

fond IVAN memories: having a land mine go off and not kill you, but it snaps your teleport wand in half which makes your head teleport off of your body and kill you

Oh my god, I remember having this happen! Once I realized what the gently caress had happened I started laughing hysterically, and when my wife asked what the hell I was laughing at, my explanation just made her stare at me with an increasingly quizzical expression while I laughed harder and harder.

gently caress it, I'm reinstalling IVAN.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

gently caress it, I'm reinstalling IVAN.

This was a good decision.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Is it just me or is unarmed actually really drat good in IVAN? I managed to become Valpurus' champion by GC 2 somehow so I prayed and he gave me a rad Valpurium greatsword, which was quite good even with negligible skill, but when it somehow vanished (I think a loving magpie stole it or something) I went back to punching things and am now killing everything ten times as fast. I'm literally uppercutting werewolf heads off in one or two hits with just troll hide gauntlets of strength +2, regular human flesh arms, and a pile of unarmed skill.

Also, does anyone have any idea how alignment works in this ridiculous game? I keep going from Very Lawful back down to Lawful for no apparent reason, and Valpurus has gone from Champion down to Very Pleased relationship. I haven't the faintest clue why this is. I know vomiting repeatedly is chaotic (I did the ommel cerumen chest trick and automatically became Satan in an earlier game, which pissed Legifer right off let me tell you), but I've only puked, like, three times from skunks poisoning me. What the hell is going on??

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I've only been reading holy books of, and praying to, Valpurus and Legifer :psyduck:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

How the gently caress did you do that in the first place?

I found a complete goddamn shitload of Valpurus holy books. Like, just everywhere. They were lying all over the place, it was surreal.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The Super Shotgun is a ridiculously good weapon with Army of the Dead and a nano-shrapnel super shotty is right up there for one of the best weapons in the drat game since it never needs to reload and you can just infinitely fire cones of armour-ignoring hell at everything. Nothing can stand up to that poo poo for long.

The base weapon does require careful use due to the reloading time involved, but it utterly pulps low-armour enemies and can send tougher enemies flying backwards at close range.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yes. Also: Mancubi and Arch-viles (they hit hard in melee but oh god gently caress deliberately eating their ranged attacks). Barons of Hell hit like trucks up close though and knocking them back is a very good idea. The only other "do not make this guy far away" thing I can think of is former commandoes and they typically just die outright to a point-blank super shotgun blast.

Shotgun knockback is also amazing for hurling things into acid or lava. Bonus: melted enemies can't be resurrected!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

You cannot get both. The super shotty is fine without nanoshrapnel if you have AotD because it ignores armour anyway!! Just carry a shitload of shells and you're golden.

Shottyman definitely obviates reload speed a lot but be careful if you're in red armour or some heavy rare poo poo. You'll still get shot a lot with your slow-rear end movespeed. At least you can dodge.

E: to clarify, you CANNOT under any circumstances have both a master trait and one of its blocked traits. If you take a blocked trait, you are permanently locked out of any master traits that block it! So pay attention and plan your trait selections out in advance.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 11, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

andrew smash posted:

that's fine and all, i'm just not even dying in funny ways but just getting turned into grease spots by big hedgehogs.

Let your puppy fight hedgehogs. Alternatively, wield the lantern you get at the start, it makes an alright shield. Hedgehogs will gently caress you up if you fight them unarmed and unarmoured.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Just finished the 111th floor on my Archangel of 666 run in DoomRL. Just 555 to go! :haw:

...:negative:

On the bright side, this sniper-modded burst cannon laser rifle is making each floor go comparatively fast. When it gets up to full chainfire it melts effectively anything in a single volley, since it is more or less incapable of missing and will thus deal a horrific amount of guaranteed plasma damage. Cyberdemons take a couple of volleys. I sure am glad I'm an Ammochain Marine or keeping this thing fed would be pretty drat hard!!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

How to use the BFG 10K when playing on Angel of Max Carnage:

http://www.twitch.tv/floodkiller/c/5357652

(:negative:)

Hahaha holy poo poo.

On a related note, it's bullshit that the BFG10K only takes a single mod or basic assembly, and only if you're a Technician. You should be able to make a Biggest loving Gun 10K and blow yourself, and everything else within several kilometres, directly to hell the instant you pull the trigger :colbert: (It's similarly bullshit that you can't mod the Jackhammer. I found it on my current Ammochain Marine and wanted to make a Burst Jackhammer + Firestorm that empties its entire clip in one shot :mad:)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Shark Tower posted:

I remember when I did Ao666, somewhere around the 150th floor, I started just skipping floors whenever I can. I had a infinite rocket launcher, and 2x intuition to see where the stairs/invul globes were, so I would just bee-line for the invul globes, then constantly rocket-jump myself to the exits (blowing away whatever walls were in my path). It basically became a race down through hell to find the next invul globe before my current one ran out.

Still had to walk thru 'walls are tough' floors. But otherwise made it a lot less painful than it'd otherwise be!

I'm trying to get a 100% kill rate because I am stupid and hate myself :smithicide:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

YAAMing AAo666? You'll be working on that run next year.

I just cleared floor 250. Might have it done by the end of the weekend depending on how much of a useless piece of poo poo I feel like being.

Shark Tower posted:

Hahaha wow, I can't say ammochain would've been my first choice for that kind of run. Post the mortem when/if you get it done!

Will do! It's working quite well so far because, as I mentioned, a burst sniper laser rifle is loving bonkers good on an Ammochain character. The firestorm biggest loving nuclear gun I recently built is speeding things up rather a lot as well!! Meanwhile I'm farting along in the Malek's+Nyarlathotep set so half the enemies do zero damage to me and I can stand around casually tanking Mancubus volleys with my balls :v:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 25, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

What the gently caress, I did not know that DoomRL had cursed items :psyduck: RIP my first Ammochain marine, it was starting to look like he might be my first HNTR win but if I can win with this thing shackled to me it'll be a goddamn miracle.

Spoilers in case anyone doesn't want advance warning about this.

The Cybernetic Armour has great stats at the cost of a movespeed penalty, but cannot ever be removed. It does not self-repair, but also can't ever be fully destroyed. So once it gets down to 0% durability, you have a movespeed penalty, no armour, and can't take it off to replace it with something that isn't actively harmful.

AFAIK the Cybernetic Armour is the only item in the entire game that does that, and I don't feel bad about not putting it in spoilers because it really is kind of a bullshit item that seems out of place with most of the game's design ethos.

If you can put points in Tough as Nails, that'll help you greatly. Ammochain Marines are absurdly lethal so if you're lucky, pick your fights, and have overwhelming firepower you might actually still be able to win that. Fingers crossed.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

I was not able to win that.

I decided to drown my sorrows by rolling up an Angel of Berserk and bump attacking things until I died. I finally saved and quit sometime after midnight as I was entering the Lava Pits. This is not only the best Angel of Berserk run I've had, but the best HNTR character of any kind. :stare: I skipped Hell's Arena and the Spider's Lair, and (obviously) The Wall and The Vaults, but on the other hand I cleared the Abyssal Plains, the Unholy Cathedral, and the Mortuary for the first time ever. I'm now cruising around with the Lance of Longinus and Red Cybernano Armour -- the Angelic Armour doesn't appear to be indestructable, so that's in reserve until the final boss.

I kind of screwed up skill allocation, not realizing that Hellrunner blocks Vampire, but Hellrunner is really drat good anyways, so I don't mind too much. Gottagofast :getin:

Cybernano armour cannot be removed AFAIK, which is unfortunate because Longinus + Angelic is the second best item set in the whole game; the armour's protection value increases to like 11 so it barely loses any durability anyway since it gives zero fucks about 95% of all attacks :shobon: cybernano is loving nuts though so no huge loss.

Berserker characters are amazing. They're hell to get off the ground sometimes, but once they get rolling, holy ungodly gently caress do they ever roll. There's very little more satisfying than wading through all the gunfire and hellfire in a victorious tide of bloody hand-to-hand carnage :black101:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The difference between HNTR and HMP is pretty significant; particularly important for berserkers is the increased prevalence of Former Sergeants and their shotguns. Those assholes are the absolute bane of early melee characters and they're way more common on higher difficulties. I'd try playing a regular game or two and going for the melee talents (so you can switch to guns for shotgun dudes/soften things up as they approach/radar-shotgun the darkness), then once you have a better feel for what you're likely to run into, try AoB. Otherwise you'll just splat repeatedly (like I did under the same circumstances).

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Please, please, please tell me that it's possible for your hypothetical server to allow spectating like on the Dungeon Crawl servers.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Aside from Ao100/666 runs and really careful high-difficulty runs, the save file thing at least is probably not a huge problem. You can finish the game in one sitting.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Spoken like someone who does not have a six-month-old child. :v:

Mine's two years old :shobon:

I generally only get to play DoomRL when she's in bed or feeling chill enough to sit on my lap and point happily at the DoomRL icon ("SKULL!!") on the taskbar. She likes skulls.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The first one is far and away the biggest factor. The Mortuary/Limbo is where good characters go to die.

There are some exceptions, of course. A good BFG helps, as does the Fireangel trait (spamming rockets point-blank is AMAZING for thinning the horde). Paradoxically, a successful melee Marine is one of the better builds to use for raiding the Mortuary, in my experience; you'll likely be wielding Longinus at that point, you'll be constantly berserk which significantly shaves down incoming damage, and your Vampyre trait lets you somewhat regenerate the health you lose by decapitating everything that keeps resurrecting around you. Rushing the Viles can be a bit hairy, but once they're dead, it's all downhill from there.

My first Mortuary clear was on a bare-rear end naked Marine with the Longinus Spear. They burned his armour clean off and it just made him mad as hell :black101:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

My first and so far only Mortuary clear was my winning Angel of Berserk.

Without Vampyre :black101:

You had Hellrunner on that guy, right? Hellrunner+Berserker is really really good, because after a point you more or less instantly crush anything you can get your hands on and the main tactical concern becomes "what is the fastest possible way to get my hands on that guy so I can crush him." I like Vampyre because it turns Lost Soul swarms and Pain Elementals into infinite health dispensers, but going without it is definitely not a bad call if you've got your eye on some good talents it locks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Stelas posted:

I thought that nano'ing a plasma shotgun would be a smart idea to get me through UV but now all my cover is disintegrating around me oh god help

This is why the nanoshrapnel assembly is one of the best in the game. Works on virtually any shotgun, grants infinite ammunition with no regeneration time, effectively gives you the Army of the Dead trait, and doesn't destroy cover. A nanoshrapnel Super Shotgun will flat out disintegrate everything you ever meet; if you make one of those you can finish the rest of the game without picking up a single round of ammo.

That said, Plasma Shotgun (N) is a really good weapon for split-second "oh god this guy needs to be not in my face" situations and pretty handy for ammo-efficient violence in general. The cover destruction is definitely an issue, but with judicious use it should be manageable (and now you can destroy enemy cover at your leisure, which is very useful).

Good luck with your run! UV is really nasty, I still haven't been able to clear it.