Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Zereth posted:

Unlike most roguelikes, this might actually be a direct cause:effect relationship. Having better stats/gear/etc will make more difficult things spawn.

Its been while since I played, but I think he appears after ~400 hp. Some awesome things in ivan are actually awesome (diamond flaming swords), some awesome things in ivan are actually horrific death traps (metal limbs).

Kind of feeling like doing another run...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I've never heard of Frozen Depths before but it sounds cool as hell. (pun unintended)

Does anyone have any real experience with it and would like to, I dunno, advertise it kinda? Is it worth getting into?

I played a couple years ago and wound up finishing the game. Overall I thought it was challenging and interesting but I had a lot of difficulty with not knowing what any of the skills really did... I tried a number of times to win as a warrior and then finally when I started playing archers won fairly quickly.

It has a good variety of items / skills / enemy monsters, and it has a mechanic where you can find what are sort of "shrines" that may give you a worthwhile bonus but cost you the all important temperature resource and you have to decide if worth it (another interesting mechanic). Managing your resources carefully I liked; although at least there used to be a mechanic that incentivised backtracking due to how sage prices worked but hopefully that has been removed.

I would say worth playing if you like roguelikes and could handle something like no-tiles adom.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
So got my first hardcore finish on necrodancer. Great game. But the finish was with the boots of speed, which is a round-a-bout way of saying... I have no idea what was going on in zone 3, but that looked really hard. I'd love to watch someone better than me actually do that properly.

Also, god if like 50%+ of my runs didn't end in red dragons. gently caress those guys.

edit: and now I'm spoiling myself with the wiki. I was pretty confident the sacrifice shrine was the sword in the stone, and I needed to have ring of might or gigantism to get it out. That was totally wrong haha.

Big Sean fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 26, 2014

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Zereth posted:

Probably broken bottles, I think the banana peels would have him damage random body parts and might kill him.

Also I will have to remember that the next time I feel like playing the game, I could never figure out how to reliably beat him.

Don't kill the plants next to the big plant in the room with him that aren't adjacent to you when you step in through the door. After the big plant is dead, take off your gloves and weapon and fist fight the remaining plants. By the time you kill them all (they shouldn't be able to hurt you much if at all if you didn't get unlucky with armor drops) you will have high unarmed skill and have a much better chance against the sumo wrestler.

You can also haste yourself (wand / one of the chaos gods) which you will keep in the fight.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Floodkiller posted:

Is anyone an IVAN 'expert'? I've made it through the underwater tunnel for the first time (outside of wizmode) due to sheer luck, and I'm wondering what kind of 'ascension kit' I should be trying to assemble to maybe live long enough to die to something cool. My current equipment:
code:
Helmet: ommel bone helmet +1 [AV13]
Amulet: -
Cloak: -
Body Armor: Iron Chain Mail [AV 6]
Belt: Belt of Carrying +1 [AV 3]
Right Hand Wielded: a mithril sickle +3
Left Hand Wielded: an ebony shield
Right Ring: a ring of searching
Left Ring: -
Right Gauntlet: -
Left Gauntlet: - 
Right Boot: a meteoric steel boot [AV 11]
Left Boot: a meteoric steel boot [AV 11]
and inventory:
code:
ring of polymorph
2 cans full of troll blood
can full of banana flesh
bottle full of troll blood
2 scrolls of enchant armor
scroll of golem creation
scroll of detect material
scroll of repair
holy book of Legifer
holy book of Atavus
wand of teleportation
wand of mirroring
wand of lightning
wand of polymorph
oil lamp

As the other poster said you need to go beat the sumo wrestler in the starting town to get the levitation belt otherwise all the landmines in the next dungeon will probably kill you. It's possible to just have fire resistance + armour but you don't have fire resistance. The first dungeon is best spent building stats to fight the sumo. Spend a minute running on the world map before you start; then go buy some bananas so you don't get hungry. Probably your endurance will go up naturally a bit from fighting. Get some unarmed fighting in to level that skill up. Then go beat up the sumo.

Also get a box to put your stuff in or it will all get destroyed (scrolls / wands etc)

An ascension kit is high stats + high armour + powerful weapon + mirroring charges + maybe some other stuff that is less important if you want (teleport charges, control teleport, etc.).

Big Sean fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 25, 2015

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's objectively 100% better without them. All they had to do was fiddle with the relative frequency and accessibility (shop price, spawn rate, etc) of previously-destructible consumables until they were in line with what a decent player would reasonably need. I've played Crawl a bit recently and I can assure you that you get enough potions and scrolls to get by, but not enough that you don't start to fret over their use and conservation if you've been needing them due to careless mistakes. Resource management is as important as it ever was, it's just less characterized by finicky conservation swapping and stashing and similar nonsense.

Gear corrosion is gone now too, and as a result gear corrosion is scarier than ever. Instead of "oh god loving drat it my nice +2 chain mail was corroded down to -1," you get "oh holy Jesus I'm at -9 corrosion debuff I can't injure poo poo and my AC is in the toilet :stonk:." Getting sassy with groups of corroders in Slime Pits is loving insanity and can kill you in a proper hurry if you don't start playing sensibly.

Pretty much all of the changes they've been making have aimed to reduce busywork, tedium, and frustration, while emphasizing the importance of tactics and good on-the-spot decision-making.

e: Sometimes I miss old Nemelex's wacky game-breaking chicanery, though :(

It was a lot of versions ago but one of my favorite runs in any roguelike was a spriggan enchanter w/ Nemelex. I had finished the game before with other characters and Tomb was always a huge pain in the rear end and being able to massively bully those obnoxious mummies with legendary summoning decks was the greatest. I think you might still be able to do that although its lost the deck of wonders stuff and generating tons of portals, etc. as I recall.

Sometimes I think game designers fail to appreciate when "unbalanced" can be fun and "balancing" the game over time just makes it less interesting...

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
So I'm seeing goons basically like Bedlam? What's up with the bad reviews on steam then?

I hate paying money for bad games...

Edit: also although I'm totally late to the pointless argument, SS2 is unbelievably overrated. SS1 4 life.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Well I think I finished a game of Bedlam on normal. I'm not entirely sure because after clearing the final boss(es) and returning to Byzantine the game froze. So that wasn't great.

Overall, I don't think I'll play it again... It is a game that I really want to like, but it is poorly designed in a lot of ways. The combat and resource mechanics are bizarre on a lot of levels:

1) 2 moves per turn irrespective of how many troops I bring is deeply bizarre... and encourages the player to bring the minimum number of units, which he will generally want to do, because...

2) 2x resources granted on victory if you bring a small squad (for no clear reason beyond developer perception of balance); also bonus resources for picking up resource hexes, but you lose anything you haven't pick up when you kill the last unit (again for no clear reason beyond forced balance)... and there is a cap on at least the power resource of 50 per fight (again, for no presented in-game reason)

3) no limit to special ability spamming per turn another than stockpile of power, which means the game is basically a slog of accumulating power and special abilities to massively spam on the boss fight(s) or be totally bulldozed;

4) range restrictions on units are bizarre (why can my gunslinger not shoot at things next to him, other than once again arbitrary balance purposes?);

5) 3 kills on a unit grants veteran status, which changes stats substantially. But subsequent level ups just give +1 damage each additional level, which is quite boring

Lot's of other weirdness and problems:

- near total lack of differentiation between your units of different races, or among elites of the same class (acid barfing lizard is identical in stats to giant guy with a grenade launcher because... developer laziness I suppose)

- related to above, totally missed opportunity to give unique equipment to specific soldiers

- the ascension run appears to be basically a test of whether you ranked up enough elite units so your per round damage is high enough (I'm OK with that) and whether you stockpiled enough power to spam heals, shields, bombs, etc. (this I am less OK with). With enough power you can be invulnerable every turn until your DPS soldiers bring down the boss. Without enough power everyone will be killed in a small handful of turns because the boss does a ton of unavoidable damage

- frequently broken AI. The only reason I won the final boss fight was due to AI stupidity and the boss standing still while I murdered him with a high level elite gunslinger

So I guess in sum this is a much worse game than it should or could be. The art is excellent, many of the encounters are enjoyable to read, and there are a lot of special abilities to find but in practice the game is just weird and unfun and boring and broken on a lot of levels...

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
It's been forever since I've played crawl but a Beogh run is super fun. It's so unique vs. other playstyles. Spriggan enchanter + Nemelex is also amazing (although I think Nemelex has gotten less interesting over time... not totally sure as I'm not that up to date on version changes).

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
On a rating of 1 to spelunky, how good is towerclimb?

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Hahaha that's amazing.

In other news, I've been playing a lot of Invisible Inc, which I've gone from thinking is a good game to thinking is a great game. I was inititally turned off by the art style and so didn't buy it for roughly forever, but the core mechanics are really good and are refreshingly new for someone who has played a lot of other roguelikes. Suprised it doesn't have more of a following here.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
I've cleared ADOM many times but I'm not sure ever with a wizard. I am sure I lost a high level (30's?) wizard to the old fat finger a direction key while in a hallway casting magic missile.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

SnowblindFatal posted:

All true. Crawl feels fresh after all these years. The new gods and races are fun as hell and the gameplay just keeps on getting tighter.

Here's a fun one: Formicid earth elemental stabber. Yes, he will die eventually since he can't teleport ever, but sense monsters + dig + passwall + stealth are such an enjoyable combo that I've done a few of these characters just to slit various uniques' throats in their sleep. Extremely satisfying (until you're stuck in water and a hydra you're not prepared to deal with starts chewing on your face).

Stabbers are very fun characters. One of my favorite characters was (many, many years ago) a spriggan enchanter who was built around stealth, enchantments, and (of course) stabbing. The "step, step, step, SLAM" gameplay of the stabbing mechanic was very fun, particularly one shotting uniques ( I recall oneshotting one of the hell bosses, which was great). I think he also worshipped the card god, which was generally fun and synergistic.

Anyhow that guy I recall couldn't do 15 runes but a subsequent spriggan enchanter several years later managed it with the help of TSO and a highly enchanted holy speed blade.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I didn't include Crawl, but I have played. I have six ascensions, three or four of which were 15-rune runs, between versions 0.4.5 and 0.6.something. At one point I wrote a fairly definitive guide to ascending, in terms of zone order, ascension kit, most dangerous enemies, etc.

I quit playing Crawl because the devs were committed to making the game more random, removing consistent and powerful options for the player instead of designing enemies that were challenging even with those options in mind, and because the UI kept changing for the worse (circular ranges with square vision really annoyed me, and 0.6 subtly changed how macros worked and broke all the multi-step commands I'd come to rely on).

More broadly it just seemed like every new version was cutting things I enjoyed and adding "features" that forced me to relearn aspects of the game for no real benefit. I haven't played since then but occasionally I look at the Crawl thread when a new version comes out and I always see things like "we completely removed controlled teleporting! isn't it great?" and I immediately close it and go back to playing ToME.

Wow you and me both. I have basically the same play history, but just got more and more annoyed by the development decisions (limited focus on new and interesting challenges, maximum focus on breaking working strategies as "too strong" or introducing annoying new gimicks like the octopus, or yet another god). Stuff like removing the power of legendary decks of wonder, or breaking the strategy where fulsome distillation could be used to get about 50 potions of mutation and leave the player with very good odds of a fun and helpful (but random) set of mutations just seemed entirely needless.

Although arguably its only with constant churn of the core mechanics that you can keep the player-base from stagnating, so maybe that is the true development strategy and reasonable, even if it pushes out veteran players over time.

Anyhow there was a period of time around .4.5 or .5 where crawl was my favorite roguelike. I'd still put it in top 10, even if I have essentially no interest in playing it again.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
So renowned explorers is pretty great. Not quite FTL great, but honestly pretty close (worse combat, better non-combat, in my opinion). The art style initially makes it look like its probably a poorly designed, throw away cheap game, but it isn't...

Anyhow, playing on adventure / classic I finally got a score above da gama (5500). Not sure how hard that is, as I haven't yet scoured the internet for the "pro builds" or whatever, but it was a fun run because I was playing with a semi-random group of characters to unlock them as potential captains and somehow they were amazing together. It was Kwame (captain), hildegard and pedrinho. In combat, they were tanky, with lots of heals and good speech damage output. Outside of combat, Kwame starting getting double entourage recruits when he was at 6 diplomacy, and between that and the full anthropology and history trees, he picked up a ton of renown (and supply) from friendly encounters. Pedrinho's 5 survival was excellent as well. Hildegard I used as a scientist, which actually worked fine albeit with 2 wasted points in diplomacy (but much stronger in combat than scientists I've used previously).

In shangri-la I had never found mount kailhash before so both finding and summitting it (pedrinho + tool as he didn't have any athlete) was fun.

After consistently having trouble in the final fight, it was interesting to see this party basically sleepwalk through it... I may have to swear off "glass cannon" characters in future games, or at least no more than one.

Also, I unlocked timbuktu instead of a beijing as my last unlock to see what Kwame's "african roots" did (in hindsight it works as advertised, but I wanted to check). That I'm sure cost me a few hundred reknown.

I think I'm going to try a gold build next, and then maybe a renown / secret build (using the psych tree). I'm not sure how to get the 7k or 10k renown run that I think are still possible...

One final comment is that I can't tell if hildegard's spirit regen ability is bugged. I think it is keeping regen from excited enemies that are defeated (but maybe still technically in the arena). I don't know if that is working as designed; I didn't really use it but it does allow her to get essentially 100% regen every round on maps with lot of enemies if you defeat most of them with excite abilities.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

I like Renowned Explorers but the boss fights in 4 star and 5 star areas are way too loving difficult, in my opinion anyway. It doesn't really feel anything like a roguelike to me, until I lose the game from 1 bad encounter. I kind of wish they had just made Reus 2, although I'm not sure where they'd go from Reus.

The weird thing about the ToME final encounter, at least back when I was playing a ton of ToME, is that Elandar makes up 90% of the fight's difficulty, the portals another 9%, while Argoniel is a big mound of HP. I feel like if she was removed entirely it would just make the fight a bit shorter. Unless she's been buffed since I last fought her.

I've gotten pretty good at RE (although since stopped playing after I unlocked the Halloween treasures, ugh). A few combat tips:

Glass cannons tend to be a bad idea in my experience. You don't pick up that much damage output, and having more hp and defense is what allows you to tank the few more rounds you need to kill a few more enemies and get inbound damage beneath what you can tank / heal a turn

The most important weapons are the emotion books that give +20% to a given emotion. It's not intrinsically obvious, but the +20% applies to the base 25% that you get for heals on friendly abilities. I.e. you get basically double power heals, which is a big upgrade

Defensive items are important as well; I tend to think speech defense is more important (although having 0 armor is bad, so if that is the case deal with that first). Ranged physical damage is pretty rare, and its pretty easy to bottleneck melee physical damage. Also, 2/3 damage types are speech, so just more common generally.

Make sure to bring at least one healer. Hildegard is a great healer as she also heals herself, and the cooldown is reasonably short

AoE disable / debuff abilities are very helpful as well

On the tougher boss fights, particularly the final fight, being able to break up the enemies and quickly eliminate a few while falling back to a choke point is critical. The game is balanced such that getting mobbed is basically a death sentence, but normally you can move towards a more defensible position

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Haha that rules.

Her "get more of literally everything from science the more research you do" ability is sweet as hell. Towards the end I was delivering lectures in China and getting like five studies, two collections, a campaign, and a discovery for every insight I spent, and the studies were each giving me 5-20 gold and fame. Then I went to Shangri-La.

Note to self: don't loving go to Shangri-La :negative:

Shangri-La isn't too bad but it frankly requires a lot of meta-gaming (which is another way of saying it is probably bad the first time or several times you go there). Like if you don't get all the keys you are in trouble for the final fight, and if you don't bring lots of supply (and ideally also climb mount Kailash) you will likely get hunger penalties which will also leave you in trouble for the final fight.

And almost all the adventure wheel tests (including those for the keys) have very challenging and specific skill requirements as well (and frequently give resolve penalties if you fail), which further reinforces the metagaming aspect.

On captains, Anna is a beast and by far the best captain score-wise. Charles and Kwame are also quite good.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Yeah hard to blame a game that is enjoyable that long. I hit 80 hrs and at some point you reach a stage where you are just going for higher and higher scores which comes down to rolling the right treasures, etc., and starts to get pretty unfun.

But good until that point...

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

KaosMachina posted:

So how do I stop dying constantly in ToME?

I always feel like I get randomly waylaid by some situation where I die in one turn with no way out.

I'm not the greatest Tome player or anything but I have finished it many times on roguelike and one rule I had was never getting waylaid. Basically, drag hostile stacks back to friendly stacks or be fast enough to avoid them. But never get waylaid as it is a terrible risk, particularly early on (also, depending on class).

They really aren't that hard to avoid if you move carefully on the world map.

Very late game, if your character is a walking god feel free to casually walk into and bulldoze over worldmap orc stacks, but until then discretion is the better part of valor...

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think I've said this before, but I'm going to say it again: in DRtC, the Canadian border is an absolute nightmarish clusterfuck of repeated sieges - if you're tough enough to get there you might be tough enough to break through, but you will want a loving massive stockpile of bullets and some very fit survivors. I strongly recommend a survivor with a good shotgun and a high firearms skill, as the combination of the two lets you frantically chew up massive amounts of zombies in a real hurry, which you're definitely going to need to do at least once before the end. Also make sure everyone has a decent, non-breakable melee weapon that they can swing fast and that won't tire them out quickly. Aluminum bats are great because they almost always cause knockdown, aren't enormously heavy, and never break. Sledgehammers are horrifyingly good on a survivor with max or almost-max Strength and Fitness, but on basically anyone else they're practically a death sentence thanks to their weight and exhaustion. But if you do have a swolebeast fitness demon, holy gently caress, a sledge will let you knock down mobs of zombies like Sauron at the start of the LotR movies.

I think there are three or four giant sieges in a row, with one or two opportunities to patch wounds and stock up on ammo in between. The final battle is a little unclear; once you see the Canadian border itself (not the bridge, the actual land border, it's pretty unmistakable), plant your feet directly on it and stand your ground. Your Canadian friends at the border will help you fight, but you'll still have to slug it out with a pretty huge horde for a short time before the winds of fortune turn in your favour. Once it happens - and you'll instantly know what "it" is, I'm not going to spoil it because holy poo poo - just pick off any zombies that come your way and watch as the rest evaporate into a fine red mist. Congratulations, you've won.

That unexpected cameo at the very end though. :allears:

Some of the unique characters are pretty hilarious. Almost all of them have some kind of hidden drawback in exchange for being really powerful; the ren faire fencer lady is deadly as gently caress with her rapier and can fight practically forever, but she yells her fool head off the whole time and riles up the zombies. Probably the nastiest unique-character drawbacks are the one you discovered, The Last Bodybuilder being unable to attack because he just grunts and flexes at the zombies instead, and that one anime magical girl who becomes more and more anime before finally exploding without warning, instantly dying and dealing severe damage to your entire party.

God the anime girl is such a monster though. I've been trying to get through either of the extreme modes and getting her as your first party member when playing rare extreme is just like easy mode for the next few fights until you have to give her up. Still trying to figure out what her exact timer is though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Lakbay posted:

Anyone have tips for the scavenging/siege part of Death Road to Canada? I read the tips earlier in the thread and I throw furninture and what not but I don't know if I should be killing zombies to prevent hordes, avoiding them etc. In 10 hours of play best I've done is 5 days from Canada.

Scavenging is mostly about picking good locations if possible and killing zombies when necessary. As you play more you get a better sense of what "necessary" means, but basically you shouldn't put yourself in a situation where you can't easily jog back to a safe or safe-ish zone. So kill enough zombies to keep that true. Some missions are better done solo, particularly the vehicle wreck corridor missions. That took me a while to learn, but is very true. Also, remember that the AI is good about not getting bitten as long as there aren't too many zombies and it doesn't get stuck on anything. So you unfortunately always have to watch for AI pathing issues.

Sieges are mostly about burning ammo. Chainsaws, shotguns, automatic weapons, etc. are very good here. So are pipebombs and grenades, although not really fire in my experience. You can reduce the number of zombies you need to kill and ammo you need to consume by moving around the map, and then making a break for the exit when the siege is over. But particularly if you are indoors, you will need something to break through the throng of zombies by the exit (chainsaw, automatic weapons, are good here).

Throwing furniture is efficient when it's there, but there isn't enough in a siege to make that much of a difference.