Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can't wait for the next Dwarf Fortress update, it's literally Skyrim of Roguelikes (I only play it for the adventure mode).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

IIRC, Crawl has the ability to map just about any event to a sound, but last I checked no one bothered to.

I made a mini-soundpack back when I used to play it but I think I lost it now.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wow, Occult Chronicles is really really good. I wish there were more horror/Lovecraft themed roguelikelikes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Chakan posted:

The board game? Or is there a video game version that I need to check out, because that would be amazing. Either way, I'll def. be looking more into Occult Chronicles.

The boardgame. It really works within roguelike systems.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

I think you need some Dungeonmans. I could certainly use more feedback from the "high as hell" customer base.

Hmm, maybe I should revisit Dungeonmans.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Is the enhanced version of Spelunky worth it or should I just keep playing the freeware version?

Tons of new stuff in the HD version and it god much prettier graphics. Totally worth it.
Also Multiplayer if you're into that stuff.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Binding of Isaac is really good in design but the execution is exceptionally awful. Can't wait for that remake.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Unormal posted:

Pre-release is up here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vlkzatq58yqkdl5/7hYSNm5s_a

It's perfectly playable, there's just an unfinished dungeon so we don't want to make it official yet.

Oh, nice. Time to give it a shot.

Yaws posted:

Does CoQ have a guide of some sort? I've been playing for awhile and I'm finding the whole thing utterly baffling.

It's possible I'm just dumb.

Heh...CoQ.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Skwee posted:

Any RLs with combat as detailed as DF adventure mode, but with better implemented adventuring/questing?

I'm actually wondering a similar thing.
Is there any roguelikes with more advanced combat system than usual? At least an ability to target separate bodyparts would be nice.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bouchacha posted:

DF got the idea for its detailed combat from UnReal World.

Hmm...one of the few roguelikes I haven't tried. Maybe I should...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I tried Occult Chronicles demo and I loved the setting but gameplay was really clunky.
I did find a similar and somewhat similar game called Elder Sign: Omens, it's not a roguelike but it's kind of fun.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

andrew smash posted:

I seriously could never find the appeal of this game. It's terrible.

It's a fun time waster and I really like lovecraftian setting. Thought after defeating every "boss" the game doesn't have anything to offer.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

andrew smash posted:

The number of people who say this makes me think i seriously misunderstood a mechanic or something. I always got hung up trying to roll enough successes or whatever they're called and never managed to finish any encounters.
Yeah, it's a dice rolling game pretty much. It's all about using "hero" abilities and items to try to swing dice rolling into your favor.

andrew smash posted:

Edit: i'm also sick to death of cthulhu-themed stuff so i never had much of an incentive to try again.

Funny that I can't find any good Lovecraft-themed games to play. Can you list some of those games you're referring to?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What's wrong with ToME's tileset? I really like it, it's easy to read and nice to look at.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I like what Risk of Rain is going for but the time/difficulty system is kind of awkward and confusing.
There are better ways to keep players from grinding.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tollymain posted:

How is it awkward or confusing? Game gets harder as the timer counts up. If you don't to get overwhelmed you got to keep moving forward. It seems as straightforward as this kind of thing can be.
Spelunky for example. You have a level. You have a timer. Get as much loot as possible before the ghost arrives and go to next one.
Simple.

Risk of Rain. I don't know, maybe I'm dumb or something but I couldn't figure the proper way to play it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Pray to spaghetti code enmeshed with giant spider webs and enrobed in mysterious secret sauces:

http://www.incursion-roguelike.net/

Hopefully someone will revive it. Incursion is one of my favorite roguelikes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

andrew smash posted:

If that's an april fool's joke it's a hell of a way to alienate your entire user base.

I hope that it's an April fool's joke and that the pre-order build will actually be released tomorrow.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ExiledTinkerer posted:

New Incursion is Getting Places:

Oh, it's nice to see something happen to Incursion. I assumed that it was already dead.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

A month or so ago the author finally admitted he wasn't working on it and open sourced his mess.

Yeah I've heard that. I assumed that Incursion was dead because the original developer stopped working on it and the source code was too much of a mess for anyone to use.
I guess I underestimated the tenaciousness of roguelike nerds.

EDIT: Hopefully they'll be able to revive Incursion like Cataclysm DDA team managed to do.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

The posters in the resident Cataclysm thread aren't so fond of it from the looks of it :v: Might be just goons being goons but I honestly have no idea since I haven't been following it that closely.

Doesn't matter if Cataclysm DDA is a crap game or not. A unique not-so-good roguelike is better than no roguelike.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FTL is weird in terms of difficulty. I can mostly get to the boss without much problem but I only managed to kill the boss once, it's way to loving hard, even on easy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Something to keep in mind is that mind-controlled crew on the flagship will die if you finish a phase while they're controlled. So don't use mind control on the last crewmember when the flagship's at critical health.

Wait, why not? Wouldn't it be a good thing to get rid of all crew on the flagship or am I misunderstanding something?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

It's more nuanced there I think - you get a view of what monsters are holding, but identifying individual monsters is still slower I think. (g gets parsed a lot faster than "drawing of goblin").

I think that it depends from person to person.
Personally I always preferred tiles over ascii because it's easier for me to get a complete picture of the current situation when there are graphics present because I just can't "see past the text" and I always end up having to take a lot more time every turn to make a decision.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Reive posted:

Can someone recommend me a roguelike that doesn't over do it with mechanics?
I like traditional roguelike stuff like randomized/generated items and equipment and levels, and upgrading equipment with enchantments and +1s but I don't really care for the RPG heavy stuff with class systems and skill trees and individual stat points instead of auto-levels.

Basically I want something like an ascii version of what older console roguelikes do, deeper than rogue but not by much and with some unique flair to it.
POWDER
http://www.zincland.com/powder/?pagename=about

Best coffee-break roguelike I ever played. It's simple, it's got graphics and you can play it on any platform including your grandma's microwave.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

No permadeath in Tome4 you have lives. Or are you saying Super Mario is a roguelike?

There's a one-life mode in ToME if you want to be special.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

straight jerkers posted:

I have no ability to deal with red dragons :smith:

e: game is amazing fun btw

Red Dragon is a bitch but just wait until you get to face Blue Dragon.

The trick is that you deal with the the same way you deal with Green Dragons but you're forced to attack them only vertically.

EDIT: Has anyone figured out an easy way to deal with Goblins? They're wrecking my rear end every time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I would play the gently caress out of a turn based fps dungeon crawler

Legend of Grimrock, sorta?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

There isn't going to be a doom 4, :words:.

Are you literally living under a rock or something?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's awesome but it's not really a roguelike. More correct description would be an XCom-like Stealth-Em-Up.
How many similarities XCom has to normal roguelikes is up to debate though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone played Hand of Fate?
It's not a roguelike per-se but it's a very interesting game that uses plenty of roguelike-like mechanics.

You have to descent a randomized dungeon constructed out of encounter cards from your deck and Dealers (who you play against) deck and at the bottom you get to fight a boss. Every encounter is either a combat arena, where you fight in real time, or an FTL-style multiple-options event.
It's got a great deal of replayability, since the dungeon is always randomized, and I love the real-time combat as well.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

Anyone played SanctuaryRPG? It seems to be reasonably popular on Reddit, and it gets updated frequently. It seems some kind of weird hybrid hybrid between a text game and a roguelike, with ASCII art graphics.

I haven't but thanks for bringing it up. It looks interesting.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

Here's a neat game that might be relevant to your interests: Hand of Fate. It's an early access card game but unlike Magic or Hearthstone (what these two have in common, though, is the slick presentation).

Hand of Fate is great. I mentioned it a while ago in the thread as well.
Even though it's still in early access it got plenty of content already and the developer seems to be quite competent.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

Although their website says:

Darkest Dungeon seems to be sick.
I wonder if they're going to have on Early Access or pre-order beta or something. I really want to get my hands on that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CountingWizard posted:

Unfortunately your wish is going to come true. That's right, you too can pay $50 or $100 to play a game that will remain incomplete for at least a year, and with a premise that may or may not entertain you for more than a week.

I don't know what you talking about. I've got several Early Access games with 20-50 hours of play time on them that I fire up every 2 weeks or so when they get an update.
I don't think I want to buy a 50$ "Digital Deluxe Edition" of Darkest Dungeon or whatever but I'll definitely get it once it hits Steam for a more reasonable price.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Johnnyonoes posted:

Hi folks, I've played the hell out of Neo Scavenger[...]

Thanks for mentioning it. I'm always on the lookout for new interesting rogulike-like games and Neo Scavenger looked interesting, so I bought it.
Now, does anyone have any tips for surviving longer than a dozen turns?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

[...]
My favourite starting build is good for figuring out the game, surviving for a long time, and committing lots of murder. I have taken to affectionately calling it the Ogre build. Here is how to make your own Ogre:
[...]

Thanks for the info.
Dogman Coat and Broad Spear solved all my early-game issues.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Unormal posted:

Here's another round of Sproggiwood keys.

ECFL7-5CEBD-49GL7

IK6L0-9IDQE-V0PNG

Thanks!

Someone already took both of these without mentioning it in the thread.
No key for me, again. :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How do I not die from infection in Neo Scavenger?
I always cook the water and I don't eat any berries or mushrooms yet in mid-game I always die by falling over unconscious until someone wanders over and kills me or I just die of thirst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Guys, what the hell.
No matter who's right and who's wrong, can we keep this out of here please.