Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah between Cobalt Core, Risk of Rain Returns and Roboquest it's been a great week for roguelike enjoyers. Roboquest's core loop is very fun and the weapon variety's great (you even have the flak cannon from UT!) while Cobalt Core's dialogue and story delivery system are extremely enjoyable.

Countblanc posted:

speaking of cobalt core, does anyone know how to unlock the 10th character? if the answer is "just keep playing and you'll see" like with the 9th character that's fine, but if it's something more arcane or specific I'd appreciate a hint or spoiler, i like having all character options available asap

on a related note, im glad the individual characters don't have card/relic unlocks (or they do a very good job hiding it if so) and it's just a matter of finding them in runs to update your codex.

Devs on Discord confirmed it's related to unlocking all the memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of Roboquest. I beat the final boss with 2 crystals active, is there anything else to aim for after that? Kinda feels like I'm looking for secrets and logs just for the sake of doing it.

Not really, it's mostly completionist stuff (filling out the Compendium/Museum by getting all enemy cards and 230 kills with every weapon - ability kills count for the currently equipped weapon) or trying to get better scores/times at higher and higher difficulties. It's kinda like uhhh Doom Eternal in that regard, the game's carried by the moment to moment gameplay.

Your Computer posted:

so i felt pretty good about winning my first cobalt core run but then noticed the game has a hard difficulty, harder difficulty, hardest difficulty, ultra super mega hard difficulty etc.

is it one of those games where you need to keep increasing the difficulty if you want to unlock things or experience the story?

Nah the only thing that ever requires going above Normal is the Ares, which requires a Hard win. That's it.

Lakbay posted:

For Cobalt Core, any tips for playing with Max? His cards have me scratching my head in a "when would I ever play this" way.

As someone else said, Max allows for some truly busted decks. Otherwise, it's kinda like Isaac or Books in that you either get their best stuff (for Isaac it's the Jupiter Drone or Piercer-for-drones Artifact, it can do absurdly silly things with Peri) or you get mostly ok cards that might or might not synergize with your build. Drake's significantly easier to get immediate value out of.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Also Cobalt Core is moddable, which will do a lot for variety eventually. Plus whatever updates it may get further down the line.

Broken Cog posted:

Also, Roboquest again, one of the crystals being locked away behind a door which you seemingly only get a third of the password for, randomly, each run is extremely annoying. I've gotten the second part 4 times now, and still haven't gotten the first part.

Edit: Nvm, looked it up, and the crystal is from an area for which you need a key which a certain merchant can sometimes sell you when you find him. Not much better, but at least I know what to look for now.

The triple password door only locks access to a character class and an audiolog. The first three times you go through the energy room you should get all three doors in order though you only really need to see two sets of numbers - it's only 36 possible combinations you can try for after that (that's how I got personally). But yeah, like someone else said you can shoot the crystal with an AoE elemental effect and it'll change the door choice and the shown numbers.

The merchant who sells that key you're talking about should appear the first time you go through the crystal area that's linked to Ruins (uhhh Scrapyard I think it's called? It's the one past the laser gate). Otherwise, increasing the spawn rate for Max's buddies spawns him - it's the dude that sells traits with downsides.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Also the gadgets that come from yellow ? signs are pretty significant. There are at least three mobility gadgets I just can't imagine playing without

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

No Wave posted:

I see a lot higher than that.

Can someone spoil me on how many times I need to beat the game to unlock the seventh character? I'm seven wins in and getting kind of bored.

It varies a lot, but just keep beating the first boss. When she says one of these loops I'm going to join you then you're 1 or 2 runs away from it

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Small Cobalt Core patch just went out:

quote:

BALANCE CHANGES:

Table Flip and its upgrades are all 1 energy cheaper
Quick Thinking B now draws +1 card, but exhausts
Math.Max B no longer gives -1 energy next turn, but exhausts
00-A Mining Drill now caps at 9 shots per cannon

GRAPHICAL CHANGES:

Gave 00-A Mining Drill a unique pilot
Put back a pixel that went missing

BUG FIXES:

Progress bar fixes!
Artifact #87 is correctly marked in the codex now. (If you’ve already seen the game’s finale, you may need to do it again to properly mark this as seen.)
three cards have been removed from the codex temporarily, as they're not accessible at this moment
added one card to the codex that should have been there already
Event #26 has been correctly added to the pool
In total, this should mean players can properly get 100% on all progress bars now
Spawning objects inside of a wall now immediately destroys them
Fixed a bug that caused Scrap Armor to sometimes not trigger correctly
Shield and Temp Shield are no longer considered statuses.
Mechanically, the only impact of this is that Boost’s “add X to your next status” will not be added to Shield or Temp Shield
Fixed a crash from doubling Total Cache Wipe’s effect with Zero Doubler. Feel free to double this card all you like, now
Fixed a weird niche bug where Buried Relic’s self-boost could sometimes be unstunnable

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

How's Skul btw? I've heard complaints about unavoidable damage

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

So it's a bit of FTL endboss and Rogue Legacy 1 bosses, gotcha (got 2 recently but haven't gotten to any boss yet so no idea if that's better!)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I think it was Across the Obelisk? Can't remember exactly. It was maybe that game where I was like "cards in this game do too much and there's too many status effects to keep track of" and I refunded after a couple hours of play

AtO is weird. At first I bounced off it for the same reasons but eventually it becomes manageable since every status effect is usually linked to a build for that character. The problem is when you start getting disparate sources of tiny status effects that amount to nothing yet clutter the UI. I finished the game a bunch of times, unlocked everything and not sure I'll ever feel the need to revisit it

Also the fact that you're just going to lose runs over and over until your characters get skill points and better versions of their starting stuff suuuucks

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

The complaints people raised are real, but it's still one of the best action roguelikes imo. There are so many skulls and they generally do play differently and have builds that they synergize with in ways that others don't, plus they're just fun to use. Don't skip it

Alright, will do!

Arzaac posted:

Perhaps Nowhere Prophet? Full disclosure, I haven't actually played it, but it seems to be what you're looking for and its got good reviews.

:stare: Man that looks very cool

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

MerrMan posted:

Played a bunch of Roboquest since it was free on Game Pass. It's.. okay? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I just feel like I get weaker and weaker as a run goes on. I haven't put anything together that was particularly powerful, my best run was with extra damage to ignited enemies and then the marking shotgun that did fire damage on ... the rocket/shotgun class. Most runs end slightly before the second boss when I hit a gauntlet room that is small and fills up with enemies because my damage falls behind to a degree that I can't clear it fast enough. Then it's just attrition until I'm dead.

The movement and guns feel pretty good. Gun variety is okay, good between weapon classes but not super strong within a class. Area variety is poor, there's just not a whole lot there and the different tile sets aren't that different from one another. Enemy variety is very low, it's all just kinda the same four - the little ball robot, the walking robot, the flying robot and the turrets. There's some big ones, too, but I usually only run in to two or three of those in a (admittedly not full) run.

For me, I preferred Gunfire Reborn quite a bit. That one was kind of made-to-be-broken where you're expected to put together some busted combo and then annihilate the last quarter of the game. This one feels too... conservative? In the amount of power they give to the player. It's like a few conditional 10-15% boosts that can come together to be pretty good when you do The Thing but it's tough to do that consistently in most situations - like it relies a 6 second buff from an ability with a 10 second cooldown or something.

Something to keep in mind is that you should always be upgrading or replacing your gun as you move up levels. That said the game becomes considerably more accessible as you acquire gadgets and unlock metaprog-related features like weapons dropping at higher levels and such.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Thanks for recommending Skul btw, I'm digging it! Same with Astral Ascent and Deadlink. Man, so many good roguelikes out there! :allears: On that note, would you currently recommend Ravenwatch? It's $6 in my region and that's going to change in a couple days when we switch back to USD. The game looks interesting but there's quite a bit of caveats from what I've read.

John Murdoch posted:

To be honest I think Roboquest makes the mistake of both hiding a lot of key features behind metaprogression AND making some of those metaprogression upgrades sound uninteresting. Normal difficulty is nasty in exactly the way you describe because on a fresh save you don't have access to almost anything. Like technically by default you have access to all guns and items, but actually seeing guns with crazy affixes isn't a thing at first, nor will you see anything but a glimpse of the item pool. You get to pick between a whopping 2 upgrades per level when down the road it'll be 4 per level and you'll get two rerolls for free. It's absolutely possible to put together something monstrously broken, but it's a hell of a lot harder when so much of the game is obfuscated behind progression.

My advice is to try temporarily bumping the difficulty down to Easy. I had the same exact problem you did, and Easy let me acclimate to the game way faster because I could survive long enough to see more of it. And you get more wrenches from a 80-90% complete Easy run vs. a 40% complete Normal one. You're not likely to actually beat the game for ~reasons~ but you'll get dug into the progression so much faster instead of needing to fail forward inch by inch.

Yeah agreed with all this. Some of the mobility upgrades are massive too and those are all basically hidden behind off-the-beaten-path exploration or sidequests (grapple hook, cape, jetpack). It's basically my only criticism aside from enemy variety maybe.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Risk of Rain 1 is a really good game, and Risk of Rain Returns is just that but with new stuff and (probably I guess) less finicky multiplayer. It's good.

The multiplayer is 100% less finnicky. I was able to get into 20 lobbies on launch day and I never had issues, while I was never able to set up or connect to a server in the original RoR. The extra content is great and the game looks gorgeous to boot.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with Backpack Hero, but I'm in the mood for a roguelike where you press a button (ideally not even that) and everything dies. Think god tier runs of Binding of Isaac, engineer for Nova Drift, that kind of thing. I want to become all powerful and coast to the finish line without effort. Preferably in real time.

Off the top of my head, I've played Hade, BoI, Nova Drift, Vampire Survivors...

I've had builds in Astral Ascent that just wipe the screen of enemies but it takes 4-5 hours to get there tbf

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Do you mean that you need 4-5 hours worth of metaprogresion or that runs are that long?

Nah runs are 30-40 minute affairs. But there are a lot of skills, augments and auras (basically upgrade options for your spells and character) locked behind finishing runs - the better you did the more stuff you unlock. The game tells you exactly what unlocked where, which is pretty neat.

(At this point I'm just trying to sell people on that game for the flimsiest reasons, I know. :v:)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

How many wins do you need in Astral Ascent to "win for real"? I'm on like ascension 4 right now and you don't really an indication that I can see of how close you are to actually beating the last boss instead of being cutscene killed after defeating him.

You need to beat him on Destiny 6 to start unlocking endings (there are 17 in total)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I've been playing some ROBOQUEST since it's on Game Pass, and it's OK. The basic gameplay feels real good. The weight of movement is spot on, the guns feel really satisfying to use for the most part, the art style and music are both wonderful and there's a lot to like here. I've played for a few hours and have pretty much the first two rows of unlocks in the base camp, and some in row three.

HOWEVER. I've got a lot of problems with this game, and now you're gonna hear about it.

- It feels like gun damage feels off a cliff faster than you can upgrade it. By the time you get to the second area, even your slow firing but hard hitting guns just don't do jack poo poo against many enemies.
- Healing feels real bad. The gimmick is that when you take damage, some of the damage you take is "chip damage", which you can heal by picking up the green orbs enemies drop. In a truly bizarre decision these orbs disappear very quickly, which means that you have to charge out into the arena to pick them up. This leads to problem three:
- There are TONS of enemies in every combat arena. All around you. Many of them have hitscan weapons, and you get no warning that you're being targeted, so all of a sudden you just eat a big chunk of damage. It feels like the only way to combat this is by trying to keep all the enemies in front of you, ie. hang out by the entrance to each arena while you whittle down the enemies. And then you won't get any healing items.
- Due to this melee weapons also feel almost useless. It would be nice to be able to charge down enemies with dual chain saws because that's just bad rear end, but in practise doing so will cost you half your health bar.
- A lot of the perks you can get at the (not frequent enough) vendors during runs are so comically underpowered that there's no point in picking any of them up. In general, after the first area I very rarely felt powerful.

Probably some of this stuff gets better as you grind more currency to unlock more basic upgrades in the base camp, but if so, it'll take a long time.

Anyway, has anyone played Let's! Revolution! and if so, how is it?

- Yeah in general you want to keep replacing weapons as said above, upgrading is only really useful if you still have a weapon from last level that's decent and you haven't come across any replacements yet. You're not expected to keep the same gun throughout a run - I personally swap around 9-10 times throughout a run. Usually you want to use your cells on new perks. In general enemies should be dying in a couple shots unless they're elites or minibosses, if they're not then you need to find a new gun. Some guns like the Flare Gun are weaker but they're supposed to make up for it thanks to their innate traits.

- A lot of the combat opens up as you acquire more mobility gadgets, so you're flying or zipping around while keeping the whole room in your vision but without staying still. The grapple and the jetpack are basically mandatory for Standard difficulty and up I feel like, and hiding them behind non-descript quests was not a good decision IMO I think it took me about 15 hours to unlock the entire base + all the upgrades, but that was asking people for help wrt the quests

- Melee weapons (and not the melee skills the characters get) are very powerful against the vast majority of enemies but for stuff you can't stun or one shot (like bosses) you have to play it much more cautiously and most of the time I just switch to a gun - I'd like them to buff them against bosses personally. Otherwise I just use them to deal with small fry while kiting minibosses around.

- Also enemies who are close enough and about to shoot get a small red arrow on your screen pointing their way, when it fills up that means they're about to shoot. That's how you can tell there are turrets around in Haven City.

Azran fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 25, 2023

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Something important about Roboquest's weapon cards - kills from abilities or summons count for the weapon you're currently holding.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

I'm bad at video games so I only just got a run where I reach the final boss in Astral Ascent and oh god oh no I am never going to beat this thing. It is funny how like... extra he is: summons all the other bosses, makes you fight a shadow clone of yourself, all the classic final boss beats are here!

I think I like how Callie plays the most so far. The gem stuff feels pretty unique! Also I like her being snooty to all the bosses and she has good interactions with Virgo. Ayla is a close second tho.

e: still haven't met aquarius so the bit where they make you choose your constellation sign hasn't matter for me yet lmao

The final boss has another one of those! If you bring along a Zodiac spell (not summon, just the special themed spells you get every now and then) then he goes 'nuh-uh, their power's mine' and makes it way harder to cast lol In general I really like AA's final boss, it's an arms race to see who has the most bullshit at hand.

Spoilers about choosing a sign, because it doesn't work like one would think: Sadly, it doesn't affect the actual fight - instead, there's a very small chance the corresponding Zodiac will show up at the beginning of a run and give you a hand. Despite doing 25 runs I still haven't seen Virgo appear for me so it seems it's a very small chance.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Cobalt Core dev hinted at some new content on their latest update. Can't wait!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Synthetik is better at 140/160% difficulty IMO some of the most fun I had with it were lightning fast gunfights where one wrong dash and I would be left a smoking crater on the ground, but in the meantime every peek out of cover would delete two-three enemies with blood red crit numbers in the thousands shaking over where they used to be.

2 is fun but it's pretty close to release (Q1 next year) so no harm in waiting.

Azran fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 30, 2023

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

I’m starting to feel out time break chronicles after a few ribs runs and this feels like a game where you can kinda bop around for a while but eventually you’ll have to get real optimized

Oh absolutely, halfway through Chapter 2 I had to bring the difficulty down and even then Chapter 4's boss just keeps wrecking me lol I don't like it when games have fights where the whole enemy team gets turns before anyone in your party, leading to half your team being either dead or down to critical HP before you've even had a turn. In the case of TBC it's a matter of having high speed characters who can either disrupt or delete problem foes but yeah, it can be rough.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Roluth posted:

My biggest complaint with Synthetik was the utterly exhausting metaprogression, especially with so much player power locked behind many hours of grind. Is Synthetic 2 any better about that, or is it still a hundred+ hours long grind?

There's A LOT of specific rewards at each level for each class in S1. Synthetik 2 still has class-based progression but it does away with the vast majority of its predecessor's excess - there are still a bunch of alternate skills and starting sidearms but those you buy whenever you want with data since they aren't level-locked. There are exactly three perks (passive benefits) and one kit (ability + primary weapon) locked away behind progression for each class, and those are at levels 3, 7, 15 and 20 respectively. That's it, that's the entirety of the level-locked metaprogression. You already start with one perk and two weapon kits to choose from too.

FWIW it's also worth noting all the classes from the original are in S2 except for Engineer (he's planned for post-launch IIRC) and Assassin, which is up in the air. The new classes are pretty cool though!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Roboquest really needs to make some gadgets part of the base story progression or something, at the very least the grapple hook and the jetpack.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

roboquests biggest mistake is gating too much poo poo out of the gate. i love the game and have a great time with it, but it feels unduly punishing until you get a few repairbot bonus upgrades and can actually recover a decent amount of health instead of dying a slow death of 1000 cuts.

it plays and feels great but the metaprogression needs looking at. also the starter class is the worst class, losing a bunch of offensive power for fairly lovely defense options

Yeah the Guardian sucks for beginners but it's absolutely top of the pack due to how powerful no-selling attacks on demand is.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Super Rich :allears:

If the dev's planning on three more expansions then class bloat is surely going to be a thing but if Timebreak Chronicles taught me anything is that having a bizarre variety of stuff to choose from is great.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The Ranger's Javelin is absurd with the right perks, particularly the marking AoE on kill.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Scarlet Tower's 1.0 update is releasing on January. Their 0.9.9 update (lol) is kinda big though.

quote:

New Features
[•] New Character: Maeve
[•] Ultimate Ability for all characters
[•] Endless Mode
[•] Smuggler Merchant, selling permanent status (Endless Mode)
[•] New Currency: Shinning Coin (used in the smuggler merchant of Endless Mode)
[•] New NPC: Engineer (she appears on the map when you have 3 fusions)
[•] New UI: Endless Shop (to buy Shinning Coin)
[•] New UI: Bestiary
[•] New UI: Arsenal
[•] Now you can see your weapons/fusions during leveling
[•] Native Translation to Japanese, Simplified Chinese, and Korean.
[•] "Minimap" is no longer part of achievements; it's unlocked from the beginning of the game.
[•] +15 New Achievements
[•] Fusions now belong to two weapon families (from the weapons that participated in the fusion)
[•] 2 New Glyphs for Ninn's Elemental
[•] The talent "Alchemical Mirror" now has a visual effect
[•] Life Shield now has a visual effect
[•] All new weapons from the last update have been released
[•] New Fusion: Fire Skeleton Staff
[•] New Fusion: Ice Skeleton Staff
[•] New Fusion: Slime Skeleton Staff
[•] New Tooltips in the Pause Menu

So far I can say I really enjoy the ultimate abilities, the Bestiary/Arsenal and the permanent minimap. It's still pretty average and a bit overly complex for its own good but IMO it's a worth a purchase on sale once you exhaust the better offerings of the genre.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Goddamnit, Scarlet Tower, I really want to like you but you make it so hard :negative: Whether it's the lack of information regarding what the hell your ongoing effects are, localization issues such as weapons or effects having multiple names, gameplay issues like improved summon weapons being absolutely useless since your previous summons don't get replaced by the new ones and it's impossible for them to die, or even UI popups getting permanently stuck on your screen... it's all a bummer. :(

Azran fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 26, 2023

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

How exactly do you use dice? I got to death for the first time the other day and I died halfway through its last health bar, but I think I'd have stood more of a chance if I'd had a bit more control over what dropped for me. :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

You can reroll rooms??? Sweet. Just beat Death btw :toot: When do you unlock access to the second batch of classes they added, by the way?

As an aside, despite the game being full of references to pretty much everything, the amount of references to Dark Souls 1 is massive: items being named the same, dual gargoyles, the initial assortment of classes being essentially the classes from Dark Souls 1, etc. It's very amusing :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Soul Scarf is very good

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Holy hell Spelldisk is amazing. Picked it up earlier today and I already beat the Architect by the skin of my teeth, feels soooo goood seeing a build come together

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Is the Spellbook in Spelldisk sorta... bad? or is it just me? It feels very clunky to use but to be fair it seems like it's the last weapon they added so it might get some tweaks

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah AA is real good, can't wait to see what the 5th character plays like later this year. How's BlazBlue in terms of variety?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Sway Grunt posted:

I've been enjoying Tiny Rogues the past week but I'm not yet completely enamored with it. I think it suffers from some keyword/mechanic overload, there's so much "item does damage of type X which puts an ailment of type Y which has an effect of type N which triggers on Z" stuff that my eyes just glaze over it eventually. There must be a way to clean that up a bit. But I've only played 8 hours so maybe you just get used to it.

I also think it lacks a bit of personality right now. The gameplay's fun though and that's a good base to build off of.

My recent run gave me an UBFG+2 early so that was kind of a rout.

There are weapons where the tooltips are longer than the actual weapon infobox, it's absurd. The dev really needs to start consolidating those.

John Murdoch posted:

Also, maybe it's just a me thing, but Tiny Rogues sure made a choice to just aggressively rip stuff off. I don't mind cutesy references or obvious inspirations, but Death is just straight up Malthael? Really?

It's so brazen that it goes all the way around and becomes funny. Almost the entire initial roster is a straight copy of Dark Souls 1's classes, name and all, then you unlock Diablo and Final Fantasy ones and there's even a Stranger Things reference lol Coming across the gargoyles and O+S was immensely funny, especially since their level has Anor Londo-style giants and silver knights :allears:

Gone Fashing posted:

running across the potion seller in the tavern for the first time was pretty funny

Oooh I assumed it was a reference to something but I've no idea to what exactly.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=253ruzlxSQA

They're adding pvp to Astral Ascent lol It's currently in public beta. The devs actually ran a poll asking players what sort of content they want to see next and the pvp mode was relatively popular. Next update's also adding 5 new spells per hero.

They're also adding new weapons and abilities to each character (so new movesets) in Q2, a new character in Q3 and a new game mode in Q4 :allears:

These were the poll results:

Azran fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 20, 2024

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I feel like the addition of PvP has to be one of those cases where the devs had toyed with the idea before but the moment some modicum of interest from the community manifested, they decided to go for it lol

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Can't wait to hear people's impressions on Oblivion Override - dev didn't set regional pricing for my region so it's a bit of a tough sell considering all the good action roguelikes I already own but it's not THAT expensive if it's real good...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

FutureCop posted:

Would you say Entropy Effect is still fun, even if you're not familiar with the BlazBlue story at all? I'm assuming that's the case, but I'm just curious if I'd be missing too many references or subtleties otherwise. I mean, obviously I can probably have fun with combat no matter what, but I like a good story too.

Yeah you don't need to know anything because this is a completely unrelated game that just happens to have BlazBlue sprites in it. You know how Ace Combat takes real life planes and just dumps them in bizarre, alt-history Earth where France never existed and yet you still have French planes with the same names and designations flying around? It's like that. Or like a beat'em up with Hollow Knight characters but it's actually called 'Bug Chronicles: Revolution' and it's about a post-apoc world where an armed insurrection's trying to overthrow their wasp invaders or something.

It's why for people who actually know BlazBlue this game's so mystifying.