Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Famethrowa posted:

I care less about length and more about accessibility. Best non-roguelike example I have is Hotline Miami. The controls are easy to pick up, but you die constantly, and there is loads of depth to the combos you can execute.

Thanks for the suggestions. Might download Doom and ToME to try.

Length should really be a consideration for someone new getting into roguelikes, some of them are really loving long. For most of the long ones, the middle part of the game consists of just keeping concentration over many hours and not making a silly mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I'm going to go against the grain and recommend against putting down $20 for Occult Chronicles.

There are two reasons:

1. The trick taking 'game' is really simple, and feels more like manually executing dice rolls. It wouldn't be that bad except there are situations where you have to play the game so many times to resolve a single encounter. Something more geared like Shalandar would be amazing, but its about as shallow as 'War'.

2. The game is poorly balanced right now. You can get into an encounter you should win easily, and just draw a bunch of low cards. Then on the penalty draw you get pinged -2 swords and suddenly you get 1 trick per game to make 7 points which can only be resolved with a face card taking another face card of the same suit in one chance. Meanwhile you have permanents that block damage on the penalty draw so you are forced to play for the unlikely occurrence of two face cards. God help you if you get more stat debuffs. The main menu is not accessible during this time so the only option is to Ctrl+Alt+Delete and kill the process. The worst part is that if you do get out of the encounter somehow, the stat debuff seems permanent so every encounter from then on will be like that.

Dying would be fine since its a shorter game, but every single game I played has devolved into this stalemate. I think the big problem is how easy it is to debuff your main stats which directly correlate to how many cards you can draw. You can get coins to rebuy stats (sometimes, what determines the categories?!?) but they are too rare compared to the debuffs.

Edit: Also window mode forcing the game window to be top window at all times. What is the loving point then?!

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 2, 2013

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

doctorfrog posted:

Because I'm playing the game wrong. I was doing stuff like trying to imagine little backstories for my characters and whatnot. Then the game kept changing every month for a while, and it seemed like what worked yesterday wasn't working now, and it was becoming actual work trying to figure out what changed and what narrow character I was supposed to pick that would be successful, so I just started exploring what random combinations of characters would be like, because that was more interesting than following the latest forum-approved newbie build. This was on my way out of the game, admittedly, I didn't start out playing like that.

But mostly because I'm bad at this video game. In the end, I decided that Crawl was somehow a college course about itself that you could get lost in with the right personality, and I just didn't have that personality.

Recommended character choices are literally highlighted on the selection screen. Sorry it didn't work out though.
Though, all the things that work to getting to the temple in Crawl are pretty much universal strategy in all roguelikes.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

doctorfrog posted:

They weren't back when I was playing, but again, I was playing the game the way I wanted it to be rather than the way it was intended. It's my fault :). And you're definitely right about Crawl strategies applying to other roguelikes, so I took something away from the experience.

drat dude, you should try again then. I'm pretty sure that was implemented a long time ago even when Stone Soup was starting to wind up right after the fork. I've played since 4.1 and the game is much less brutal (but a lot more boring to be honest, especially lately with the constant removal of poo poo)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I'll throw in a dissenting voice for occult chronicles. I don't like the gameplay mechanics very much and the UI is clunky as gently caress, especially for a $20 game. One of the things is that it feels like a board game where nothing is automated. Part of it was my fault because I just straight up bought it after reading some positive reviews, but it was hands down my most regrettable video game purchase this year.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Geokinesis posted:

Yeah, I can understand that the mechanics might not be everyone's cup of tea, seeing as you have a direct effect in encounter outcomes playing the card games instead a of having dice rolled for you.

If people are on the fence really try the demo to see if you like it first!

I really like the idea of a card game integrated into a roguelike (which is why I bought it), but the card game is super shallow and having to play it a minimum 2 times per encounter gets old really fast. That's my biggest beef.

Also, for some reason, the game takes forever to boot on all of my machines.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

madjackmcmad posted:

From the fertile fields of LD48, a roguelike draws near!

http://sheep.art.pl/Fujo

Trip Report:

Walked around a lot picking stuff up. Started getting 'Hungry' message and taking damage. Pick up lunch box. Still get message. Try to hit every keyboard key, nothing happens. Turn on Caps Lock and try every key again. Only ESC and the arrow keys do anything.

Die of hunger, quit game.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Airport Simulator 2014 shows up for me as a Procedural Death Labyrinth

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Crawl might have the biggest and most active development team out of any roguelike ever so that might have something to do with it. Early on the difficulty was pretty awful, and the game was unplayable at some points.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

hito posted:

Here's a question for the roguelike developers in here.

I have a bit of a weird relationship with programming. I code a little bit for my job but not much, with my coding experience being just a few toy projects in a handful of weird languages (QBASIC as a kid, R in college, Cache for work). But I have a degree in Math and in general am comfortable "thinking programmatically".

I have an idea for a roguelike that's really starting to impress itself upon me. I want to code up a toy minigame with a couple of its simplest mechanics to see how they hold up. (Without going on a big rant about it, I want to replace the standard roguelike bump n' grind with one on one or one on few fights where you have to alternate between variable speed/effect attacks, defense, and dodging. When you see your opponent, you see ranges for all of their stats that get more precise as you learn about them and fight them - you need to act on this information to win.) In the current implementation, it'd mostly just be a menu simulator, but if it works out I'd like to be able to build it into a full game.

So - for someone coming in to programming with little formal experience but with the ability to learn fast, without any major preconceptions, what programming language should I look in to? The more newbie friendly the IDE, the better.

This sounds a lot like a classic jRPG and there are about a billion engines available to develop on for those types of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

madjackmcmad posted:

Never played Ragnarok before, so I'm playing it now. First death was 20 turns in when I mixed two potions and exploded.

Rolled another guy with the same name and...

Ha! I get flak from Dungeonmans players because I don't let them use the name of a fallen hero, so this feels very satisfying.

Naming your dude is half the fun.