Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

On the topic of phone roguelikes, what are peoples' opinions on control schemes? I got some guff about using on-screen buttons for 2419RL, so this year I went with swiping for SkullDorado, but that ended up being fairly annoying when the player had to traverse a large area witb nothing interesring going on. Hoplite used a tap where you want to go scheme and that seems like it was pretty popular, though the entire map was on screen at all times, and you were allowed to move to any space instantly when there was no enemies left on the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

victrix posted:

edit: I forgot 'Roguelikes is the worst genre name in history', but I guess that's not a tip :<

Shmups.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

victrix posted:

Ok fair point. But that's only because shooters usurped their proper title :colbert:

They had their own genre name too. It was "First Person Shooters" :argh:

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Anything is better than the term MOBA, which is quite possibly one of the most loving generic and non-descriptive terms ever made for something in existence.

MOBA is really bad too. Certainly worse than roguelike.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

uPen posted:

Anyone played Delver? It's billing itself as an 'action roguelike dungeon crawl' but it just looks like minecraft with permadeath.

I really like it, but it's still in a state of being unfinished. While it's a lot better than when I first got it a while back, there's still not that much to do. The controls I feel are perfect, at least for my phone (Incredible 2) and while it'll take some more updates before it's truly compelling, it's an overall average experience.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

MeramJert posted:

Huh, I have the same phone as you and I think the controls are literally the worst I've ever seen in an Android game.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference, then.

As more explanation for our friend:
The way the game controls is you hold your phone like a controller, with one thumb on one side of the screen to control your movement, the other thumb on the other to control the direction you are looking. Items are tapped at and can be dragged around and there's an inventory on the top of the screen. An on-screen button on the right side can be tapped to attack.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

9x16 is where it's at. :cmon:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That looks pretty neat. Pixel art with extreme limitations is always a fun exercise. Your scythe guy looks like he's using three colors, though.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

EDIT: ^^^^^ Scythe guy only has two colors that I can see, unless you're counting "transparent" as a color...which I guess you ought to, but maaaaaan.

Of course you have to!

If you're going to use three, you might as well use four. Two for background/static elements and Four for sprites/active elements is still fine!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

You also might not want to use the main dark color for both the major colors of the walls and the player. It'll be hard to process images if you're looking for the tiny splash of color on the belt & face.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pure 2 color still has three colors? You've got the background color, then two shades atop it. It still looks neat. Like an early test for a Gameboy project.

In the more colorful version, I really dig how the objects are using a very similar saturation for their colors. It keeps the wasteland theme well without making it a VGA Rainbow Wonderland.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Has there still been no date announcement for this year's 7DRL?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Doomlikes.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

poo poo is getting real.

e: $0.99 real money to id items at vendor -> new Ferrari.

On-screen controls? Doing control schemes for mobile devices give me the biggest headache. Legends of Yore and Pixel Dungeon seem to be the best way to do things, but they are really unintuitive to a new player. On the flip side on-screen controls take up screen realestate that would better serve for other purposes.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

It's working pretty decent for Sproggiwood; and I've got Some Ideas(tm) for how to do a more elaborate ability system for the Qud game without cluttering the screen to hell.

That does look decent, though I'd be interested to know how large of hitboxes you use for those arrows is. And I assume you can scroll the camera around with touch and drag? In case there are monsters hiding under the buttons on the lower left.

goferchan posted:

It's a really simple game but I like how Hoplite on iOS (and android?) handles movement -- touching a space moves you straight there, unless there's an enemy on screen, in which case it only moves you one space in that direction and then lets the enemies take their turn. Roguelikes are gonna have enough excessive buttons already; you REALLY don't need a D-pad.

Edit: to duplicate the "wait" function, assuming that's the hourglass in the center, just make touching the tile occupied by your character do the "wait" thing

Edit edit: haven't played Qud so I don't know the details of the ability system, but for anyone who's played a console shooter or whatever in the past decade the "wheel" system is pretty intuitive. Press and hold in a certain spot, like the center of the screen, and a wheel with all available skills pops up and you slide your finger to whatever you wanna activate. Not 100% sure it would translate well to a touchscreen, but in my head I like it.

Hoplite does things really well (Yes, it's also on Android) I'll agree. Being able to see the entire board on one screen helps with that, though.

Making a menu pop up while you hold your finger down on the screen is fairly trivial to make, throwing buttons up on the screen and detecting if you're on top of one when you lift the finger off again. Ideally you'd want it to be context sensitive if you're tapping a spot on the map, and likely have a default function if you only press for a small amount of time. Like, moving to an empty square, attacking an enemy, opening a door, that sort of thing.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

It's happening. (Joppa loaded from actual CoQ data files, but upside down because Y is reversed in Sproggiwood)

That's looking really, really nice.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

So, the 7DRL for this year is coming in about a month. (The week of March 8th to March 16th) Time to start coming up with a better plan than last year!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

So, I tried Adventuring Company and Dice Heroes today.

Adventuring Company was made in Unity using the Oryx tileset (not that one, the new one he made) and-- right from the get-go I notice that the application isn't named correctly under the icon. Not a good sign. Gameplay is basically the same as Dungelot, except you have a party of four characters that you can freely switch between that have their own stats and special abilities. This makes the game a little more player-decision based than Dungelot, but after a couple of games it became clear that Adventuring Company is in dire need of some sort of balancing. Polish in general would be good and if the developer puts some time into it, this could be quite a good game, but as it is Adventuring Company feels thrown together and not quite over the hurdle of simply copying a popular game.

Dice Heroes starts with an interesting mechanic, but the tutorial is way too long and building up your characters to where the gameplay no longer becomes entirely RNG dependent is similarly a slog. The presentation could be punched up a bit by not making the characters all cubes. I get it, "Dice" Heroes, but the mechanic is interesting enough without having to beat the users over the head by making everything look like dull cubes. Well, maybe not everything. Perhaps dice with sides other than six show up later? I haven't gotten that far. I haven't seen a lot of Roguelike-ness in it, either. Unless the stage layouts are somewhat randomized? Even then, it's easily more just a strategy game. Still, it's fun enough I feel like I'll sink a bit more time into it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I guess you don't jump around a lot in that game, then?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Most people find straightforward mazes boring and tedious to navigate so hopefully your combat is interesting and takes advantage of positioning and the tight, twisting passages of the maze.

Even with something as simple as ranged combat, greater miss chances the more dark a target square is, and enemies that do more than just seek the player and I can see it working.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mazes are just things players disilke in general that programmers think will help make their qame more interesting. Interactive Fiction (Like Zork) dev groups have this same converasation a lot too, and you can get some insidious mazes when its just text descriptions.

Having a game that's a straight line of encounters isn't a bad design, as long as your battles aren't Dragon Quest style choose "fight" a million times. You need some sort of interesting player choice. That Adventuring Company game used picking a different party member for each attack to make it interesting. If it done away with the random board tapping and restored armor values after each fight I think it would work fine for a no-movement sort of roguelike.

Personally, it looks like this year I will not be making a lovely android game for my 7DRL. A college buddy cum coworker has convinced me to team up for this year's event. He's a much better programmer and we've done things like the Global Game Jam a couple of times before, so this year hopefully I won't end up with an unfinished mess. Just have to keep reminding ourselves its the 7DRL and not the 7 Month Roguelike.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

Less embarrassing:

I don't know if it's the sparser landscape or the multi-colored tiles, but I honestly think this one looks worse than the other one.

Unormal posted:

It's happening. (Joppa loaded from actual CoQ data files, but upside down because Y is reversed in Sproggiwood)

Larger tiles here, too.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

The big advances here are correctly bi-colored tiles, using some of yo voxn's tiles, and correct data loading. Look and feel will probably be a lot different when we get around to actually making it not be hideous.

I zoomed it out here to capture Joppa in a recognizable way, I think we'll go for a more zoomed-in view for the new game proper. The individual levels will likely be much more dense than CoQ level generation. (e: I'll probably allow pinch zoom/drag on the main view, like Sproggiwood)

I like that most people in Joppa keep a pillory in their house. That seems like fun.

Looking at both pictures next to each other, I feel like the mono-color on black helps the imagery stand out more, making the symbols easier to process faster. And the smaller pixels on the map in the new image clash with the large pixels used with the UI, making it look like there is no standard size. The uniform size in the HP/EN placeholder with the map specifically, but you see it with the arrows and "wait" button too.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

Welp, reached the important milestone: Walking around murdering everyone. Not bad for a night's work.

You know what, it looks like the color thing isn't that bad and it was just the zoom level. This shot looks good.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

Polish, polish, polish...

and fun stuff...

Lookin' good. Keep on truckin'.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Crawl 2: Crawl Harder

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The animation in Crawl (not Linley's Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup) really reminds me of the animation in Advance Guardian Heroes. Not sure how I feel about the multiplayer stuff. It's interesting at least.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The game looks cool visually but I have no interest in it whatsoever until they implement online multiplayer.

Oh, it's not online? I know I had a fun time playing Hammerfell in a local multiplayer game recently, but that's a really rare sort of occurance.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

andrew smash posted:

When somebody argued that dark souls was a roguelike a year or so ago I pretty much just gave up.

Permadeath and randomized locations would be killer for Dark Souls.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Notorious QIG posted:

Random locations for Dark Souls would be terrible. The locations in the game are all incredibly well thought-out and loop back around on themselves in intricate and organic ways. You'd be trading a huge amount of the intricacy and focus of the game if you turned it into a true roguelike.

I wasn't trying to say it would make Dark Souls better. Dark Souls has an amazing environment and having the choice between what we have and a roguelike version I would keep the game just the way it was.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Well drat. Good job!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Festooned Abacus is pretty rad tbh.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

Is Zombies Ate My Neighbors a ToeJam & Earl-like?

ZAMN has fixed levels, and thus ineligible to be a Festooned Abacus.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I don't get why models get rifles, flying and unbreathing.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Harminoff posted:

Here's a first person roguelike that recently went up on steam early access. Looks like it has potential.

Ziggurat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-fHx6QEdUk

I know it's a trailer so they want to show a lot of action, but it makes the game look like a mindless fps with big, flat rooms and a bunch of monsters and not very fun at all. If that's exactly what it is, then I'll have to pass.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tin Tim posted:

Here's the Ziggurat video I was talking about earlier. Should be a good way to estimate if it's your cup of tea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OZDYo6faak

Holy poo poo this guy can not shut up for even a second.

As far as the game goes, it does have a couple interesting looking rooms, but that big empty one was really disappointing, especially with how the enemy drops disappear after a too-short time. The level up benefits were all "Permanent Upgrade" vs "Temporary Boost" and it seems foolish to ever choose the later. The art direction looks nice, having different playable characters seems interesting. There might be a good game here eventually, but it's not there yet.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I would play the gently caress out of a turn based fps dungeon crawler

Doom RPG, Doom RPG II, Wofenstein RPG, Orcs & Elves, Orcs & Elves II.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Potsticker posted:

Doom RPG, Doom RPG II, Wofenstein RPG, Orcs & Elves, Orcs & Elves II.

FYI this Doom RPG is not the Doom RPG that's a mod or whatever. Sadly, I think it was only released for pre-Smartphones, because this series of games was pretty amazing. I think Orcs & Elves II may have made it out for the DS. (3DS?)

Seriously these all were super good, not that I couldn't pick a few nits, but they were all really fun and I'm sad that this style of game isn't more popular with developers.

Oh, and QuestLord, which is on Android and I think iPhone. It's less action oriented, though.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

You are the only one.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

JAZXL-YKE6I-07L05

(Here's the survey link, I'd be great if you could fill it out if you grab a key, after playing for a bit! https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/V2CPC3H)

Took this one, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

New bug: I keep getting repeats of the last item I picked up when aoe abilities kill things. Doesn't happen every time but pretty often.

Might this be the same thing I encountered when Vanishing Dungarees and Dungarees of the Mongoose God have the exact same stats, but the later costs three times as much?

Or is it just an issue of itemization not being done yet?