Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
This matrix of the June 20, 1980 show in Anchorage is great, in terms of sound and performances. I even didn’t skip Easy To Love You on this show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
This week in 1974 was a great one for fans of the Grateful Dead's bassist Phil Lesh's experimental performances with their modular synth playing compatriot Ned Lagin

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

I don’t know that Ned ever played a synth during dead sets but he sat in on keys sometimes. His synth/electronic music was during set break. I could be wrong about that

Right, yeah, I was joking about the Seastones performances he and Phil played during set breaks in late June 74. Those shows are all rad.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Noise Machine posted:

Posting to remind myself to find this, but there was a 74 show I listened to that had Ned sitting in and dropping some serious drones and low frequencies during a TOO.

From The NedBase:

June 23, 1974 - Ned played on "jam" > "Ship of Fools", "Black Peter", "Around and Around", "Dark Star" jam > "Spanish Jam" > "U.S. Blues".
September 11, 1974 - Ned played on "Space" > jam > "Space" > "Eyes of the World" > "Stronger Than Dirt" > "Space" > "Wharf Rat"
September 21, 1974 - Ned played on "Playing in the Band" > "Drums" > "Playing in the Band"
October 16, 1974 - Ned played on "Space" jam > "Wharf Rat" > "Space" > "Eyes of the World"
October 18, 1974 - Ned played on > jam > "Dark Star" > "Morning Dew"
October 20, 1974 - Ned played on "Playing in the Band" > "Drums" > "Not Fade Away" > "Drums" > "The Other One" > "Wharf Rat" > "Playing in the Band", "Eyes of the World" > (partially on "Slipknot" > "Stella Blue", "Sugar Magnolia", "Johnny B. Goode" > Mississippi Half Step Uptown Toodeloo" > "And We Bid You Goodnight"

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Noise Machine posted:

Went to the Hartford Dead & Co show - while I'm pissed that I left with a 4 hour buffer before the show I didn't get to my seat until 8:30 and I missed the first 2.5 songs, that second set absolutely made up for it. Jack Straw all the way to D/S was spectacular and full of good moments. Jay Lane really seems to be getting comfortable in this band now.

I watched streams of both shows last weekend, they were definitely playing at much higher tempos with Jay compared to when I saw them with Bill in the chair a couple weeks ago.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
The Crimson White & Indigo show today in 1989 is a great one. Killer versions of Loser, Let It Grow, Scarlet/Fire, Estimated Prophet, The Other One > Wharf Rat. I am still a novice on stuff past 1982, but this is a great show. I've come to really appreciate Brent on keys but still don't care for his songs/lead vocals, but this Blow Away is so ludicrously unhinged, I dig it (Jerry solos his rear end off on it too tbh).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHU5FywUBEk

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Noise Machine posted:

Found a hot show on this day in 82, with a nicely mixed matrix to boot - https://youtu.be/EWs1Eq8EuUc

This recent run from 82 was really good. I enjoyed the Saint Paul and Alpine Valley shows a lot.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
The shows yesterday and today in 1971 in Berkeley were really nice, the 8/15 one in particular has a great 2nd set (Truckin' -> Drums -> The Other One -> Me And My Uncle -> The Other One -> Wharf Rat). Seems like it would be viable for them to package up both of them into an official release.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Today's 72 show is good-but-not-great for me, although I can't tell if the lack of a truly good source is the cause for my lack of complete enthusiasm. The best SBD version does improve a lot for the 2nd set and Truckin' -> Drums -> TOO -> Stella Blue is a very nice run. TOO alone is worth the listen, with the improv getting really frenzied before coalescing into a jazzy melodic jam that's a nice showcase for Keith (although a jarring 2 minute AUD patch when the vocals start is a bummer).

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Ok now, today's 72 show: holy poo poo. An all timer PITB, Jerry and Keith are just on fire with incredible rapid fire jamming that never falls apart. Dark Star is a top shelf 72 version as well, at one point the band starts launching into Morning Dew but Phil keeps bombing all over it to the point where they go back into another frenzied Keith-driven jam. Sweet sounding board that does justice to every member of the band, only issue is a cut that chops a verse out of Casey Jones.

They're essentially operating at the same levels that they did a week later at Veneta.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

Likewise, the double bill of today and yesterday's Berkley shows aren't to be missed. Any dust has been blown off and you'll find people saying that the show from the 24th is as good as Veneta if not better. I don't know if I agree with that, only because like everyone else I'm probably more familiar with the more famous one. But I definitely want to add the 24th to the rotation.

Vocally I think we're edging into the best they've ever sounded. 'He's Gone' from today in particular is elevated by Bobby and Donna's additions. When they really lock in they're a force.

Yeah the whole run has been excellent. Today’s show really is top tier, it’s excruciating that the recordings cut off in the middle of TOO.

E: ah, there's a Dave's Picks with the whole show

trem_two fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 26, 2022

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Happy Naked Pole Guy Day to those who observe

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I've been enjoying most of the OTD in 1983 shows that I've checked out lately, and Sept 4, 1983 is a little gem of a show. Starts off strong with Bertha and Friend Of The Devil highlights, and then falters a bit with an abysmal Red Rooster and an Althea that isn't bad but never quite takes off. But then a super uptempo China/Rider closes the first set, second set kicks off with a monster Scarlet/Fire and after a mediocre Women Are Smarter it's into a great D/S -> Spanish Jam - The Wheel -> TOO -> Wharf Rat sequence.

Seems to be a lot of well executed matrix sources available for shows from this era too.

trem_two fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 4, 2022

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

JamesKPolk posted:

mr c knows what he's talking about

5/8/77 has similar baggage. not even the best show they played that week. but the reasons its so well remembered compared to the other ones that run is also an interesting (sub-)cultural nugget so saying its overrated or even not as important as people make it out to be is also kind of missing the point

After listening to Englishtown yesterday, I feel like that one fits into this category too.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
mmmm... September 72. After I listened to all of 9/9/72 today I had to go back and listen to PITB and Truckin/TOO/Stella Blue a 2nd time because they were so good.

They were playing with a strut and with muscle in these fall 72 shows that is pretty unique.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
9/15/82 was a treat. Opened with a strong Playin’ and then had Playin’ mini jams acting as glue between songs throughout the show. Great versions of Crazy Fingers and Let It Grow in the first set, second set has a great Shakedown -> Playin’ jam -> Sailor -> Saint, and after D/S is a monster NFA into Stella Blue. And then the encore is the very first Touch Of Grey.

If you’re into the early 80s era this show is highly recommended. The Let It Grow and Saint Of Circumstance versions are some epic Jerry.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Planet X posted:

On 80s chat:

I never saw the Dead, but consider myself a Deadhead and big fan. I suppose a fair weather fan, as I have essentially avoided (or just not put much intentional listening time) into anything after 78.

Now - during the 90s, I had a bunch of live cassettes from 80s shows as did a bunch of folks, so it's not like I have never listened to any 80s shows. Matter of fact, the first dead tape I bought was Dead Set, which is an 80s show. It's just that if I'm going to listen to something, I prefer their energy and quality, musically of the 60s and 70s. I really don't like that they slowed down St Stephen, Friend of the Devil, Bertha, etc. That Bertha on Skull and Roses is just the best to me. There were a lot of tepid dead shows during this period I'm sure you'll agree.

I'm to the point though to where I know there's good 80s shows in there, and I want to find and explore them, so I'll probably start with Dicks / Daves picks, but if anyone has any thoughts on some standout 80s or even 90s shows, I'm all ears.

I personally break things down into these eras, roughly:

79 from when Brent joined until 83
84 until Jerry's coma in 86
post Jerry's coma late 86 to 88
89 to Brent's death in mid 90
the Vince years from 90 to 95 (with a subset of these shows being the Bruce Hornsby shows, which generally are a step above the non-Hornsby shows).

I personally think the first few years with Brent were great, they started playing with much more drive and energy than they did from 76 to 79. In particular they hit some month long stretches that were really hot, thinking of June 80, September 80, May 81, September 82, September 83. Then the mid 80s up until Jerry's coma were generally pretty rough imo, but post coma through 88 there were some really strong shows mixed in with some duds, and then they hit some other month-long peaks like July 89.

And then they really hit another, if not peak, let's definitely say high plateau in 89 and 90 until Brent died. And then the Vince years were really dicey, although if you want to explore that era the shows with Hornsby on piano are a good starting point. Some shows I dig from the start of the Brent era through the 90s are (I've REALLY been on a 1982 kick lately so that is heavily reflected here):

1979-10-28
1979-12-28 (released as Road Trips Vol 3, No 1)
1980-06-07
1980-06-19 through 1980-06-21 (famous Anchorage, AK West High School shows, the 20th and 21st are particularly good)
1980-09-03
1981-05-01
1981-05-16
1982-04-06
1982-07-27 through 1982-07-29 (well regarded Red Rocks run)
1982-08-10
1982-08-28
1982-09-14
1982-09-17
1982-09-20 through 1982-09-21 (MSG shows included on the 80s MSG box set released next week)
1983-04-12
1983-09-04
1983-09-06
1983-09-10
1985-06-30 through 1985-07-01
1987-08-18
1987-09-19
1989-07-04 through 1989-07-12 (string of east coast dates that are really strong, multiple shows are available in good video quality on YouTube)
1989-10-16 (released as Nightfall Of Diamonds)
1989-10-26
1990-03-24 through 1990-03-26 (strong 3 day run in Albany, a compilation of songs was released as Dozin' At The Knick)
1990-03-29 (released as Wake Up To Find Out, famous show with Branford Marsalis taking part in the whole 2nd set)
1991-06-17 (released as Saint of Circumstance: Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ 6/17/91)
1991-09-22 (good show with Hornsby)

I can't help that much with the Vince years, his synth tones are really jarring to me still, I'm sure in time I'll find more 90s stuff that I am into.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I got tix to all 3 nights in Boulder.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
bummer, this was my excuse to get out of some family obligations over the holidays lol

https://twitter.com/RussoAlmostDead/status/1586025000414363656

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
October 29, 1977: prettay prettay prettay good. Possibly/probably the best standalone Let It Grow ever to finish the first set (all of Jerry's soloing :vince:), and then maybe the best second set of 77? Everything from Friend Of The Devil until the end is top shelf. Keith's contributions on organ are stellar through the entire show.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Aw man I didn't know they did this again. Was always a good time seeing some poor bewildered theater employee face a theaterful of wooks.

They're doing it again on Saturday

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I really wish I could go Saturday, but I have to work, and I already got someone to cover for me on Friday so I can go see Bobby and the Wolf Bros that night and couldn't find someone to take Saturday too. Oh well.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Bobby and Wolf Bros. were excellent, 2nd set last night was incredible

https://twitter.com/BobWeir/status/1588775138375659520

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

The original planned dicks picks 1, dicks picks 19 from fall 73. Best show of the best tour.

Had a very special place in my heart. Although most of fall 73 is amazing.

I’ve truly been loving all the recent “on this date” shows from 73 over the past week.

E: the PITB on Dec 2, 1973 is one-of-a-kind and an all-timer

trem_two fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 3, 2022

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Got a ticket to see Phil And Friends in February, pretty excited for that.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Sway Grunt posted:

edit: 12/28/79 now, really good so far. A massive Sugaree to start and I've never heard this weirdo arrangement for Row Jimmy before, I like it a lot.

I've been listening to a lot of New Year's run shows from 79 to 83 this week. That one is a very good show, great Terrapin and Playin' in the 2nd set. Other really good ones I've heard this week are 12/26/79, 12/28/80, 12/27/81 and 12/28/83. Plenty of great versions of Althea, Friend Of The Devil, and Cassidy, some monster Playin's and The Other Ones (unfortunately some Red Roosters and CC Riders too). Some really good Brent showcases too, the Playin's in particular show him getting spacey and weird, good stuff.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Seems that Jay Lane had to step in for both Bill and Mickey throughout the 3 shows, and at one point Jay was the sole drummer. Might need to add another reserve drummer on retainer for the summer tour.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Noise Machine posted:

It didn't seem like it was.out of emergency or distress, it was more like Mickey or Billy invited him up for a song then would swap out with him during the jam.

My opinion is just give us three drum sets on stage and have the three of them come and go as they please.

Ah, probably just some good weed down there

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I really love the March 81 run of shows. There are some nice AUD recordings of the US shows. I’ve really been getting into these Stranger and Sailor/Saint performances.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I love archive dot org show comments so much

quote:

OMG what a amazing audience recording!! Wow this is just as good as it gets. Fantastic show too, i was there. Jerry grilled fish on a Weber grill during setbreaks on the the side of the stage. Thank you big time to taper for the UL.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

LMAO thats great post more good ones if u find em! i always love the little anectdotes from onstage/backstage during shows

One of my all time faves

quote:

Having missed some earlier Canadian offerings, (Vancouver 73, Festival Express 72, I was in dire need of my 1st Deadshow, so, upon hearing of the concert while I sat in a jail cell doin' 30 days for stealing a pack of sausages...on a dare...to feed the hungry wet, and cold, night time pickin', psilocybin mushroom pickers, all 25 of em', I got thrown in the hooskow with a gram of hash stuck firmly into my cheek. I heard of the show in Seattle and I took this little red head, get this, that I met at the Greyhound bus stop, the day of my release (hard time i tell ya), and she jumped my bones in broad daylight behind the bus depot!! (well, we were in the trees), so, she and I hooked up for a few weeks and headed down to Seattle. I was in heaven, sparked up and what can ya say, seemed like 4 hours of solid fusion for what, 4.50? Wow,
See ya down the pike,
Rob

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Noise Machine posted:

God bless Rob

A true traveler.

In other news I listened to 3/17/68 just now (Download Series Vol 6) and that Caution > Feedback is sick.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

:woop:

Anybody know where I can find that Phil and Friends show with Warren Haynes from last week?

There are copies on archive.org, the forums are too lovely for me to embed a link because of the characters in the url

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Sway Grunt posted:

Where's my 30-minute Althea. :mad: That should've been a set 2 staple.

No disrespect to set 1... but c'mon.

Idk, I always liked the medium length set 1 jammers for what they are. Gimme 6 to 10 minutes with a Jerry solo or two and I’m happy. Althea, Loser, Cassidy, Candyman, post-hiatus FOTD, there needed to be some first set songs like that to break up the cowboy songs.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Nice little mid 80s run I hadn’t listened to before is the March 86 stand in Philadelphia. Both Jerry and Bob’s voices are in good shape for that era and the musical performances are strong. They did some covers they didn’t play very often and brought back some of their own songs that had been shelved. Phil even busts out a Box of Rain that is really good.

There are some standard mid 80s caveats: terrible Little Red Rooster, flubbed lyrics (Jerry remembers zero lyrics to Shakedown), Healy being overzealous with the effects, etc.

The Drums/Space performances are really great, some really interesting and psychedelic Drums in particular.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
So, uh, apparently this may be bad news for the future of archive.org in general? That would destroy me.

https://twitter.com/PublishersWkly/status/1639390560820637697?s=20

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
March 26, 1973 is pretty close to perfect. The 2nd set sequence from He's Gone -> Truckin' (with a Nobody's Fault Jam) -> Weather Report Suite Prelude Jam -> Wharf Rat -> Bobby McGee and then Eyes -> Morning Dew is :discourse:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I think the worst song transition I’ve ever heard them do was Sailor->Saint on March 30, 1980

I’ll excuse it though because the entire Scarlet->Fire immediately that kicks all kinds of rear end.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Listening to April 6, 1982 first thing yesterday morning put me on a path of listening all day long to early 80s shows that have Shakedown included. Last one was October 20, 1984 to finish things off, which is a really good 84 show. Jerry’s voice is ragged, but he’s singing with a lot of energy and doesn’t sound flat, and Bobby was intense without just shouting. Musically the whole band is locked in throughout the show.

Starts off with a nice Bertha, the West LA Fadeaway has a nice loping groove with some strutting Jerry solos, Bird Song is intense with the whole band lifting off during the solo before winding back down to the final vocal section, and the 1st set ends with a massively jammed out Jack Straw (apparently Bobby had to step aside for a while due to equipment trouble and everyone else just started blazing). 2nd set starts with a botched lyrics version of Shakedown (of course) where Billy and Mickey drive a really high tempo that turns into a smooth jam, and then everything from D/S to Lovelight really flows. The Black Peter performance is a knockout, Jerry’s raspy voice is a perfect fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

God thats an awesome setlist, Saint/Sailor excluded obviously.

It’s a killer show, if set 1 replaced swapped out CC Rider for like Cassidy or Bird Song it’d be just about the ideal early 80s set 1. (Also while I know this isn’t a consensus opinion I actually really like Sailor/Saint!)