Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

drilldo squirt posted:

Like San Fransisco except with something to actually be proud of.

Carved up among dozens of independent fiefdoms and authorities and borderline ungovernable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Given the demographic troubles facing many European countries it is actually factually 100% necessary to have large scale immigration unless you want permanent depression in the economy

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

What's China, then, chopped liver?

A state that invaded and annexed other nations and is now hard at work erasing those cultures by Han-ifying them?

The Uighyrs and Tibetans didn't choose to be part of China, unlike immigrants to the US

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Well the ofther part of China being a superpower is it ignores the rest of the undeveloped world. What happens to India, Latin America, SE Asia? China may arrive at developed first but it's not just going to be the US, Europe, and China

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

But no you don't understand if we let foreigners mingle with the public peoples' feelings will be hurt and furthermore

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

How are the Front National on Israel these days? A surprising number of neo-Nazi groups have switched over to supporting the country and working with the Israeli far-right (no, really - there's nothing more bizarre than seeing Israeli Jews wave around blue-and-white placards with 'one people, one nation, one leader' written on them in Hebrew) now that Muslims are the cool new people to talk smack about, though there's still (obviously) a hefty dose of lingering anti-Semitism going around.

Richard Nixon famously thought American Jews (aka Eastern European Ashkenazi immigrants) were lying, greedy Communists by nature, while Israeli Jews were honorable and trustworthy allies against the Commies

Really American support for Israel is a bizarre artifact of the Cold War. 95% of the whitebread right wingers who love Israel don't like actual Jews in the US, at least the old New York City Eastern European type.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 31, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

Wait, what are you talking about? I kind of skimmed all those earlier shitposts on this page.

it's Europeans being pissy about legitimate criticisms of far right and bigoted sentiment because America are supposed to be the racists, not them

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

There is no such thing as a monolithic European culture, nor do Europeans share equally in the guilt of colonial oppression.

e: there is not one iota of legitimate criticism in slogdons post. It's just dumb.

Well, the attack in France was what started this conversation, and France was up there with the worst colonizers. Would you be happier if I said "it's French people being pissy because Americans are supposed to be the racist imperialists, not them?"

Unless you're taking the angle that "there's not one iota of criticism to be made of France's imperialism and racism"

vvvvvvvvv
Fair enough

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 8, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

fspades posted:

That's doubly interesting when you consider, you know, Portuguese history. I mean, holy poo poo even the American South had nothing on the Brazilian plantation complex. It's amazing people can look at that colonial legacy and go "racism in Portugal?? Nope, we didn't have anything to do with that.But look at those fuckers over there!"

spoken like a typical Amerikkkan :smuggo:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

hrm yes police beatingdispersing and arresting a group of black youths, nothing racist here nope no sir, see i'm European so you can trust me on this one

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 8, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Well yeah that's exactly how it works in America too. But nobody is going around claiming police in America aren't racist, because the issues of race and class are not separable, and the magic soil of the European continent doesn't change that. I mean this is literally the exact same thing as Ferguson, etc, only possibly on a smaller scale

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

MeLKoR posted:

No this isn't "literally the exact same thing as Ferguson" because no one was shot or beaten up, this was a public order issue and arrests were made. Should cops also do nothing if a football riot broke out and the fans were mostly black? Do you think if these had been 800 all white kids the cops wouldn't have bothered? Shops were being raided and people were being mugged for gently caress's sake.

You're right, Ferguson MO was simply police following public orders and making arrests in the name of public order. If it were a crowd of white people breaking into shops and looting do you think the cops wouldn't have bothered?

Basically what you're saying is that racism doesn't exist in America. Is it just because some people died in Ferguson and not Lisbon that instantly America is Racist and Portugal is Not Racist?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think police action against a mainly black crowd of poor youths is inseparable from racism and insisting it's TOTALLY DIFFERENT is an almost unbelievably naive position to hold

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The foreign media owners and bankers have conspired to buy up our newspapers, television and movies in order to dilute our own pure European stock. They strangle our culture in the crib to replace it with their taint.

:911:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

If America was not responsible for reality TV (and arguably, Australia is - Sylvania Waters) then it is responsible for the prevailing socioeconomic conditions which led to it (ie. it's cheaper to import American poo poo than to create your own content, leading to the industry downsizing and arts funding being cut by governments, leading to networks and production companies needing to create content cheaply to sell advertising space, resulting in reality TV).

So this is why Soviet media was renowned for its quality, and millions of people in Western Europe were tuning their radios to Communist stations for entertainment?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Dresden firebombing marches are the ones with the massive counter-protests. I'm not up to date with this latest Pegida stuff, but I suspect it's not facing nearly as much opposition

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

A question, since I assume you are from Germany. How is the industry infrastructure in the east compared to the west? I was talking with a German acquaintance of me some time ago, and he said that the reason east Germany is so much worse off than the west was because the Soviets shipped off any heavy machinery and industrial equipment they could find, and the east never really recovered from that after the wall fell.

What? This stinks of just-so bullshit to me. The DDR was the richest, most developed country in the Eastern Bloc by a pretty big margin. The moving factories poo poo stopped in the 50s, the wall came down over 30 years later. The reason it's hosed up today is the same reason every other Eastern Bloc country is hosed up, no more no less. East Germany is much better off than even the best of the other post-Communists though, because it's part of Germany

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Clash of Civilizations stuff is bullshit designed to give a veneer of intellectual justification to hard American nationalism, something that has had catastrophic consequences again and again. Orthodoxy is definitely a thing, but it doesn't follow that such countries will be in conflict with Catholic or Protestant countries because of it

• Locked thread