Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
People that literally cannot understand satire (and troll posts) came in in force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Deltasquid posted:

A late reply, and I'm not an expert on French culture by any means, but considering another newspaper just made this as a homage to Charlie Hebdo:

I'd say that yes, French satire is very much an offensive, hamfisted, "too soon" style that revels in shocking people. (If you haven't seen, the magazine Charb is using to protect himself against bullets is a previous Charlie Hebdo cover that was almost exactly the same with an Egyptian person getting shot while using a Quran as cover.)

Finally a proper homage.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Guildencrantz posted:

It's been argued that this actually contributed to its decline and fall. The system kept a well-read, critical intelligentsia that was needed to mainain cultural and technological output, gave them decent privileges and held them up to the rest of society as People Who Know Their poo poo. The intelligentsia as a class, however, naturally tend to care about issues like free speech, political liberty and the notion of a rationally organized society, and thus over time became increasingly critical of the regime. In late communism it was pretty much a given that the intelligentsia was a "suspect element", but by that time it had made those cultures very focused on veiled social criticism, satire, clever ways to circumvent censorship, interest in "forbidden" works and other things that are bad for an oppressive power structure.

I've heard artists and producers in the occupied eastern european countries especially loved to use their medium to criticise and mock the Soviets. They had to be very careful and subtle, though, since everything was thoroughly screened.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Turns out this cover is not at all a homage in its intent, but rather meant as an insult. It comes from the adepts of an extreme-right guru called Alain Soral.
I find the joke of the main cartoon itself to be hilarious, ("Charlie Hebdo sucks, it doesn't stop bullets"), but all the stuff that surrounds it is mean-spirited bullshit. The subheading is "bankrupt newspaper" instead of "irresponsible newspaper", two of the articles mentioned on the cover are "Charlie Hebdo and Hara Kiri [Charlie's predecessor], a treason of left-wing ideals", "Religion, a double standard [something about Jews]", and there's a false ad for a book about the life of Patrick Font, a former collaborator of Charlie Hebdo who went to prison for sexual contact with children (he's depicted holding a child's hand in the caricature).

Yeah, when thinking about it later, I had a feeling it might have been meant in earnest. It's hard to get the point of a lot of the surrounding stuff unless you understand the french.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 12, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Bob le Moche posted:

You're absolutely right that this is meant as an insult, but do you have any source for the idea that it's coming from Alain Soral's followers? Everything about it to me points to the opposite, that it's coming from the radical anticolonial left who are pissed about Charlie Hebdo's hypocrisy and pseudo-leftism.

EDIT: Charlie Hebdo used to have leftist ideals, but it started going bankrupt until it figured out that taking a rightward turn and focusing on making GBS threads on Muslims was good for profits.

Do you have any proof that they started "Focusing on making GBS threads on muslims"? Because that sounds like something you pulled straight out of your rear end.

Edit: I saw your edit. Sorry.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh hey, a 18,000-person anti-Islam march in Germany in response to the Charlie Hebdo stuff. Apparently Muslims are "not capable of democracy" and it's only a matter of time until Muslims burn down the Reichstag commit acts of terror in Germany.

It's the same group that has been going for months. They'd find an excuse anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Randler posted:

The East got proper hosed after unification (Treuhand! :argh:) and has noticeable demographic problems. And while some parts are actually pulling ahead compared to other states, the East gets a first taste of bad economic developements all the time.

A question, since I assume you are from Germany. How is the industry infrastructure in the east compared to the west? I was talking with a German acquaintance of me some time ago, and he said that the reason east Germany is so much worse off than the west was because the Soviets shipped off any heavy machinery and industrial equipment they could find, and the east never really recovered from that after the wall fell.

• Locked thread