Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
In Romania, there has been an increase in support for The New Right, a group which is affiliated with and works with Golden Dawn, and which literally uses 1920s Romanian Fascist iconography in its propaganda. They call for the persecution of immigrants, LGBTQ citizens, and communists, as well as the annexation of Hungary. Unlike Golden Dawn, however, they have been refused registration as a political party and as such are limited to rallies and physical violence against anyone they dislike. Which is, I suppose, technically a better situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

General China posted:

I disagree, the UK could go fascist. The media is becoming increasingly right wing and anti immigration. The anti-muslim thing might have flared down a bit recently in the media, but I'm not sure how much of that was to do with public opinion and how much the government has advised the press.

The right wing extremists in the UK suffer from an image problem. The image they have is exactly what the vast majority of people in the UK never want to see. All it takes is an influential minority and things might change.

There is nothing national, geographical or racial about fascism.

Come now, all British fascism is only a joke, like on Top Gear.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Blackbird Fly posted:

Do the Romanian nationalists attack Székler people?

I have not been back to Romania for some years, but I understand that generally Szekler tend to be thought of in the same terms as other native people of Hungarian ancestry, even though that is of course not really accurate on a cultural level. And any far-right organization in Romania is going to be anti-Hungarian as a matter of course.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gorelab posted:

Do the Hungarian and Romanian far rights basically see each other the same way? It kinda feels like it at times.

Somewhat, yeah. In fact, one of Jobbik's platforms, foreign-policy-wise, is autonomous rule for the Szekler people. The issues between Hungary and Romania go back hundreds of years, so they make good motivation for crazy nationalists.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

KazigluBey posted:

Specifically they've been warned to not bring attention to their sexual orientation while in Russia by Russia's Sports Minister or face the risk of arrest. As far as we know this is the hard line, that anything that runs afoul of the extremely broad Anti-Gay-Propaganda law will be cracked down on, which can be as little as a few lines spoken to a reporter's camera.

I suppose if the Russians actually do follow through and arrest a bunch of gay athletes during the Olympics it might make people actually pay attention to the problem, but otherwise not boycotting the Olympics won't accomplish anything apart from proving further that David Cameron is a piece of poo poo.

Speaking of which, Britain is an important lesson about the power that fringe groups can hold on national politics: UKIP and the BNP got remotely popular and so the Tories are able to do things like run vans around the country literally telling foreigners to "go home" while still portraying themselves as reasonable compared to the radical right.

Incidentally, I saw an interview on the subject (can t find it now, I'm on my phone) where the government shill explained the van program wasn't like the BNP because "it targeted illegal immigrants of all races, whatever their skin color." Yep.

• Locked thread