Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

The situation at the outbreak of war:

Western Front is pretty standard, went Maginot because otherwise lmao, Belgium has Western Allies Influence and Italy is in the war as well.

Eastern front is more interesting, Poland and Romania are Russian minors, but currently their Policy is is Cordon Sanitaire, which means on the outbreak of war they will not go to war, even though Russia will. There is still a possibility for a (small) eastern front though.

Up in Scandinavia, Denmark was ceded and currently Norway/Denmark are Western-aligned. Sweden was the site of a major diplomatic war as I had two times when I got influence in there, but they were removed by Germany (for good reason).

Yeah, Russia can expand the war by using one of their cards that would activate Poland (Ultimatum or Demand Eastern Poland) but i think they'd prefer if I activated Poland. If not, I can just sit there and extend limited war for another year and a half while i grab a couple more strategic hexes after France until i'm perfectly ready to go. I don't think mongoose really has enough troops to bust Poland with my support so it's awkward, but if they don't I can just sit in East Prussia and just put a brick wall up where he has one hex to attack from.

I do think, after gaming it out, i'm going to get France this coming summer. Maginot is generally better than Reforms unless you're drat sure the Germans are going east first (they have a way to settle a war with the USSR for some time if it happens during Limited War). However, by not going reforms in this circumstance, France will have no air units, nor will they have access to the British air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Terminally Bored posted:

Speaking of grander scale, how is Downfall? The reviews seem to be really positive and it's not as expensive as other 'bigger' GMT games.

It's solid. I like it as a 2-player game. It'll take a while but it flows pretty well since generally there's no big sequence of play and everybody just kinda does a few things.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Norway, Spain, Italy, Sweden, and Hungary are axis powers. Romania was invaded by the Soviets, and then expelled all invaders after being converted to a Soviet minor due to the Cordon Sanitaire policy. Soviet and German troops have stared at each other for the past year and a half over a hex in East Prussia. I've got three more seasons before Total War starts. Britain has sat out the entire war but it'll be their turn to do something useful soon.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Which game is that?

Blitz! A World in Conflict- designed by the WiF guys to be the Simple Version.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

I like TK in that the divergences happen more organically than USE, and the game feels like it has a lot more internal consistency. Two front war should be interesting in that a potential for an invasion to liberate Portugal/invade Spain is well within the cards.

Yeah i'm expecting you to avalanche Spain when the opportunity comes. My goal is to close off the Med as much as possible and limit it to that. If I can limit the scope of invasion to overseas stuff instead of one-hex-strait type invasions (like historical normandy and sicily) i'll be happy about it. Or you can be a cool dude and spot me a VP and get the fleet train in so you can do multi-step invasions anywhere.

I like the air-naval system for speed of play, and yeah the way politics works, it's more a way the players interact than USE, and the reason that works for game balance is that minor countries just ain't that important.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 11, 2023

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
My 'troll Tekopo' strategy continues. BM is probably right that this isn't going to win the game as eventually the soviets will be able to pick a spot to smash me and get into grey hexes but hey, i'm learning axis stuff and a lot of small things here. Axis Tide 2(historical high tide) will be pretty easy, but there's no clear path to 3 here.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Count Thrashula posted:

I can buy the mega World in Flames for basically that and that comes with many times the content. Not to mention it's Decision Games so it's bound to have not been play tested and be full of typos and errata.

It's actually quite good, it's been through three iterations and has been well-playtested.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

Of all the grand strat games, I would say that the combat system and the way reinforcements are handled/built up in TK/DS is probably my favourite. I still have reservations about how fleets are handled (although I haven't tried SK), but overall the support system works really well. Although I like the combat system in USE, the support system is a chore, and the diplomatic levers in USE are a real chore. WIF to me feels like a very old design, although it is a much more open-ended game (at least from reading the LP of it).

Part of the reason WiF is so open in Jobbo's game is because he's playing the pre-game module- in the base game it's more of a push. WiF allows for a more global approach to the conflict, but because TK/DS starts in '37 without a pre-war seperate game, there's more political maneuvering room.

WiF (and to some extent AWAW) have a couple of big advantages in that they really do give you access to freeform unit construction, and they really do try to model the air/naval aspects of the war in some level of detail in a way TK/DS is mostly just trying to get at the effect of. They pay for this by being incredibly long games, WiF moreso than AWAW.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 17, 2024

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
To me, the advantage of production in games that feature it is the ability to change your force disposition from historical, as opposed to deep economic modeling. Now, Axis Empires does have some ways to choose your forcemix, like which demands you do as Germany, or which programs and expansions you pick as Japan. But it's within a limited band. There's ways to try to express most of the possibilities not taken in force disposition, but it's a menu of choices, and not a buffet like WiF or AWAW.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Obfuscation posted:

I've been playing GMT's US Civil War lately and I'm not quite sure if I like the game or not. When you get to push armies at each other it is fun and there's lot of strategic decisions to make about where and how you want to wage the war but goddamn it's a complicated game. I keep constantly re-checking the rules about how the naval control and supply works since both are so integral to everything and there are way too many exceptions and special rules for different map areas. I keep having this feeling that I could be playing For The People instead and having just as much fun with way less effort.

GMT's US Civil War is an adaptation of Victory Games' Civil war that tries to be less complicated but, imo, loses a lot to get there. As you say, by the time you're at USCW's level of complexity, you might as well play For the People because that's even more streamlined with very little further loss of depth.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

Please look forward to the up-and-coming LP for GTS: Strike-Counterstrike, coming this weekend. I hope you like tanks!

Nice! Good luck!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Just got Skrmisher #4 which comes with GCACW Mine Run and Bristoe, and on the back is a little bit of the map for the next game (i think), GCACW Vicksburg.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Count Thrashula posted:

Wait this is GBACW game number FOURTEEN?? I know I've been out of the board wargaming scene for a bit but jeez.

G*C*ACW, GBACW's different.

It includes 4 magazines, but GCACW's been around since the 80s. It's why there's still some old Avalon Hill stuff on the boxes.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Count Thrashula posted:

Er, that was a typo, but I still didn't realize GCACW had gotten so big. I played all the old Avalon Hill games and thought most of the MMP ones were just re-releases.

edit-- which I guess they SORT OF are, but looking closer they have new content, so they still count. And that count of 14 does not actually include the magazine releases!

Yeah, so i think MMP's new releases are Atlanta, Chickamauga/Chattanooga, Hood in Tenessee, All Green Alike, Petersburg, and now Vicksburg, some of which are released with old stuff.

Wouldn't be shocked if they did something to integrate Chancellorsville and Fredricksburg as a release at some point.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Count Thrashula posted:

Yep, looks like that's all correct. Maybe the new Vicksburg game will include sort of that old stuff, like they did with On To Richmond II.

AH:
Stonewall Jackson's Way
Here Come the Rebels
Roads to Gettysburg
Stonewall in the Valley
Stonewall's Last Battle
On to Richmond

MMP:
Grant Takes Command
Battle Above the Clouds (Chickamauga/Chattanooga)
Stonewall Jackson's Way II
Atlanta is Ours
Roads to Gettysburg II
Hood Strikes North (Tennessee)
On to Richmond II (includes Grant Takes Command and Petersburg)
Thunder on the Mississippi (Vicksburg)

I heard after Vicksburg they want to do a re-release of Stonewall in the Valley which would almost certainly contain Sheridan in the Valley and i imagine something new, like Sigel in the Valley or something.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

mllaneza posted:

I may be in the process of creating a new wargamer! One of my neighbors is a retired fellow, and we chat a lot. He's got some interest in military history, had a CO when he was in the Army do tourns around Petersburg, Chancellorsville and similar places when he was in the army, and generally a voracious interest in why things happened the way he did.

Well, he came by today and I showed him around a hex and counter game. He left to read rules and background for Across Five Aprils and a couple of Against The Odds magazine games on the ACW. We'll see if we get to roll some dice in... April.

Nice, have fun! If he likes that stuff he'd probably like Great Campaigns of the American Civil War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

blackmongoose posted:

I am fascinated by this idea, I've never heard of a system like that but I would absolutely jump on a game that implemented something like that - I find the idea of building a doctrine way more interesting than the idea of using resource points to build units. I'd especially love it if it meant that you could have a relatively abstract combat system but with significant skill elements still - I think a grand strategy game should have relatively more abstract combat instead of lots of operational details but it seems like that tends to always boil down to "move all your units into an area and roll dice"

I think, yeah, something like this would probably be a start of something that has a lot of potential to be interesting. The Enemy Action games use a chit pull system for their combat, where instead of having a bunch of modifiers in every combat, the chits will have modifiers themselves, so like >=4:1 D:3 would mean if there's a 4:1 odds on the attack or more, the defender takes 3 hits, but you may not draw a chit where any of the odds matter.

I still really think there'd need to be some granularity in the ability to allocate units to tasks, but there's something to that.