Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
If anybody is on the fence about Combat Commander or is looking to know more about it before buying it, this video here just completely sold me on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYh8_0fCmQE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

VoodooXT posted:

I ended up getting Space Empires 4X, Navajo Wars, and Urban Sprawl from the GMT sale. Eh, for $20 Urban Sprawl seems like a decent deal.

I'm so close to getting Space Empires but my will still holds firm.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

VoodooXT posted:

A better man than I. :unsmith:

Not so much. :gbsmith:

I asked my friend if he would be interested in Space Empires and he basically said "It has space and empire in the name. loving Sold.". So I bought that and the expansion.

Probably going to break down and buy one of those fancy corner cutters, it took me loving forever to do Combat Commander by hand and my OCD will not allow unclipped counters.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
What do you guys think of the Great Battles of History series? When I was looking at GMT stuff for the sale the Great Battles of Alexander P500 caught my eye.

I wish they'd ship my Space Empires order. I'm sure they're swamped from the sale but I wanna plaaay iiiitttt

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I'm finishing up the last half sheet of Space Empires 4x and Close Encounters right now. 1320 counters between the two of them :gonk:. Fortunately I can do about 5 a minute with my fancy corner cutter doohickey.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Finally got around to playing Space Empires on vacation. We played the basic game with instant tech upgrades and I ended up having to concede because it seemed like the only thing I could do would be to drag the game on. I think under that particular set of rules that situation could come up quite often.

Hopefully the advanced rules make it harder for the game to stalemate or get reduced to an unfun grind.
I imagine using the normal technology rules (no instant upgrades) would help a lot too.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I played most of a coop game (doomsday machines) of Space Empires today. That was vastly more fun then my first experience with the game. I'd only recommend using the basic game rules if no one playing has played before - they remove more useful options needed to make the game good than complexity that makes it hard to learn. Also, Close Encounters is good - the tech rebalance, bigger homeworlds, new techs and alien tech/race ability cards add a lot to the game. We ran out of time before we got to hilarious stuff like Titans but we basically had it in the bag. The Easy difficulty really lives up to it's name.

I really want to try a normal game with 3 or 4 players now.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

I keep telling myself that I don't want to be like you but it's just covering up the fact that I already am since my Dad dumped all his old wargames on me when my parents moved so I have a bookshelf in the basement with 20-30 wargames that I will probably never play on it.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

orphean posted:

:stare: Dude there is a pretty healthy market for out of print wargames. Especially if they're in decent shape and CIB. Like if you have something like White Bear Red Moon hanging out in your basement bookshelf you can get a couple hundred bucks for it.

I doubt most of them are worth that much, and I still consider them Dad's so I won't be selling them anytime soon. There is an unpunched copy of Squad Leader that I think I could get a decent price for though. All the ASL 2nd edition stuff is unpunched too, I think he played with other people's copies. Or it could be that I have become the wargamer with more games than he will play because I inherited games from a wargamer... with more games than he would play.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Tekopo posted:

Corner cutting is addictive in a really strange way, I approve.

I'm weirdly proud of my corner clipped and bead boxed Space Empires stuff. Now I just need to laminate some production sheets so I don't have to worry about running out of them! :toot:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Does anybody know when FiTL will be generally available? Like from CSI or Amazon?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Tekopo posted:

CC:E is good: I would recommend getting CC:M if you are really getting into it since it adds a lot of options but I would skip CC:P because it changes a whole lot of things and not for the better.

If you're motivated you can fit CC:M and CC:R in the same box with CC:E :unsmigghh:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
My copy shall be upon my porch within hours. :getin:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Trynant posted:

I got into a clipping spree for several days, going after my two dozen war games with those awful frayed edges. Some of them counted upwards of 3000 pieces.

Though I finished that spree around August, starting later that month and still on-going I've had severe on-and-off wrist pains each day. As if from repetitive wrist motion injury. I'm scheduling for a orthopedist this week.

You've been warned. My hand is worn.

If you're clipping that much it's probably worth getting one of the nice corner cutting gadgets to save your wrist. I like mine a lot.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Gutter Owl posted:

This is really the thing about GMT that irritates me the most. If you have a game system you're pushing, you need to keep an introductory title in print at all times when you can swing it. Letting intermediate or supplementary titles like ADP go out of print/into P500 is one thing. But refusing to keep one of Andean Abyss or Cuba Libre in print is just shooting themselves in the foot sales-wise, because it shuts new players out of the COIN system.

Well there's a reprint of all the older COIN games scheduled for Q2 2015 so they're doing their best.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
They updated the rulebook in one of the printings, don't know which one though.

Also, CC chat has triggered my poor impulse control as well. I bought all the available scenario packs, now I have a poo poo ton more scenarios to pine over and not get a chance to play :downsgun:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

COOL CORN posted:

ASL is a hobby for totally normal, well-adjusted people.

... :negative:

And the baggies in the middle are Rising Sun which hasn't been clipped or stored yet.

... :negative:

I am both aroused and repelled by this image.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

bunnielab posted:

I dont even like WWII poo poo very much, I just cant find a scifi or fantasy hex&chit game.

Space Empires 4x is a scifi hex&chit game.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
EotS P500 crew represent! :toot:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I got 3 others together to play FiTL at work this week. We've got it set up on the screwing-around floor of the building and are slowly playing through a short game at lunch breaks. It's everyone's first COIN, and I've played it only once before - 2 player. Nobody has any idea what they are doing or how to translate our various actions into victory. It's great and everyone likes it. I can definitely see everybody wanting to play again, a full game this time. :getin:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Lord Frisk posted:

I just picked this up at my FLGS. What's your official take on it? I've read enough about it to know that it's not "perfect", but it looks like I oughta enjoy it.

Also, what's your storage solution? It came with 11 bags (thanks GMT) but I'm wondering how to divide up the counters. I tend to stick with labeled baggies for laziness and monetary reasons, but I don't know how to split this one up.

Coincidentally it's also why I asked about counter clippers.

I got some bead boxes from Michaels. I have one box for each color and 2 more boxes that have the home sector pieces for 2 colors and a share of the common counters. It works fairly well and I was able to fit all 6 boxes in the Close Encounters box with room for baggies of the counters I doubt I'll ever use (ground forces).

You should get Close Encounters if you don't already have it, I wouldn't play without it. The main problem with the game is that it requires aggressive play. If everybody wants to sit back and tech up you're going to have a very long, very boring game. If people are aggressive from the start the game is much more interesting. I'd also recommend skipping the basic rules if your opponent is not an idiot. They don't add much complexity and the game is pretty boring without them (IMO of course). 4 player free for all can be a bit of a slog too, it's hard to get a leg up on an opponent without exposing yourself to another and this basically paralyzed the people I was playing with, leading to the above problem of no aggression making the game horrible.

I played a 1v1 on a smallish map once and that was quite good. I rushed raiders and that allowed me to control the tempo of the game until I got some carrier groups up. That was my opponent's first game and we dove right in with the complex rules and most of close encounters and he didn't really have any problem picking it up.

Another tip would be to laminate your production sheets and get some wet erase markers, then you don't have to worry about running out of the sheets.

It's got flaws but overall I think it's a good game. My friend from the 1v1 has been bugging me to play again lately so he must have liked it too.

I've got Replicators on P500, looking forward to the random assortment of stuff that seems to be the hallmark of a Space Empires expansion.

EDIT Actually I suppose my biggest complaint about the game is that it has too much post-decision randomness. Any fight between fairly evenly matched forces comes down to a luckfest and sometimes it's pretty hard to get a significant advantage. That's more of a personal preference kind of thing (and maybe a "I suck at this" kind of thing) rather than an objective flaw of the game though.

SavageMessiah fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 9, 2015

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

I haven't finished reading the EoTS rules yet because I am mega-lazy and I'll probably never get a chance to play it but I'm still likely going to get that c3i just for that. :toot:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
If you like to learn from videos, this one is pretty awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYh8_0fCmQE

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Wargames already make up 100% of my unplayed games and here I am considering maxing out my 50% discount in the GMT sale. Looking at Virgin Queen, Crown of Roses, Saints in Armor, and Caesar: Conquest of Gaul.

Any traps in that list?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
In a completely unrelated question, does anybody know what direction you are supposed to round in the push of shields step in Great Battles of Alexander? I'm playing Samarkand to learn the system and almost instantly ran into a situation where the attacker has 2 hits and the defender 5. For now I'm going to use the rounding rules for the size ratio.

EDIT: Saints in Armor has a reaction summary table on the player aid it seems. Was that not in previous volumes or is it just not enough?

EDIT2: Ugh, swingy die rolls with next to no ability to influence them, not enough of them to even out the curve, for practically everything, and in a long-rear end game? If they're also all binary pass-fail that's like every dice nope in one game. Unsold on that one, thanks for the warning.

SavageMessiah fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 27, 2015

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Ended up getting Caesar: Conquest of Gaul, Blood and Roses, Saints in Armor and some more counter trays.

Godspeed money, we hardly new ye! :patriot:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I feel like I've crossed some sort of nerd threshold, passed into a new world. I've found I evaluate wargame purchases as much from a solo play perspective as anything else. It started out as, oh, I'll play this solo to learn the rules to make the first game with someone else less of a trainwreck, to, hey that was pretty fun in and of itself, maybe I should get apache thunderbolt leader or something.

I blame all of you for this :argh:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Liberty or Death came today :mrgw:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Man, was just taking a look at Operation Dauntless. This game appears to be a labor of loving love - 50 pages of design and historical notes! :eyepop:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Foehammer posted:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/220177

Operation Dauntless for $33.50 until April 10th

lmao gently caress I just bought that on amazon

Ah well, if I'm going to buy more game before having even cracked the rules on most of my last bunch, might as well go for broke and pay too much too :getin:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Caedar posted:

Thinking of picking up For the People, but a little concerned about play time. It's listed as 6 hours on BGG, but it looks like there are three scenarios in the rulebook. About how long are the three scenarios?

I haven't actually played this yet, but there's essentially victory conditions for the end of every year and the spring of 1865. This means that you can start the full campaign and just end it sanely at the end of any year if you feel it's running too long. Dunno if that helps you :shrug:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I just got NW: India Pakistan, Normandy '44, and Operation Dauntless, as well as C3i 27 and 29. I finally got around to rooting around in Operation Dauntless today and :prepop: I gotta gush about this a bit, bear with me.

This is the work of a dedicated, passionate, talented, complete lunatic. As Tekopo pointed out earlier there are a retarded amount of numbers packed onto the counters. The crazy thing is that there is 160 drat pages of stuff in this box and only like 30 are actually rules. The playbook has almost 20 pages of play examples, all with huge, color, annotated pictures and a couple pages of general tips and strategies. The scenario book is insane with more extensive historical and strategy notes for the scenarios than I've ever seen before. It includes a poo poo ton of tutorial scenarios each with their own advice and variants. 4 of the tutorials are on their own cards with a 'read sections blah blah and dive in' kind of thing going. They even include a list of rules you'll probably forget about or overlook. And they even recognized that you might want to skip going whole hog on the infantry rules and skip to the armor so the second card has two armor tutorial scenarios that skip several of the infantry tutorials.

And the icing on this ludicrous cake is the reference book which is 50 goddamn pages of footnotes, design notes, history lessons, and write ups of the vehicles and weapons used in the campaign. The 'selected sources' covers the entire back of the book. :psyduck:

I should note that the vast majority of the photographs in these books were taken from the operation itself or at least of the units involved. The scenario book at least has a caption section that describes every picture noting, for instance, that the names painted on this tank are the names of the driver and commander's girlfriends.

On top of all that the player aids and counters are better than average, even for GMT. And the system and game looks really fun too :toot:

I feel like after reading all this and playing the whole campaign is basically the equivalent to doing a serious research dive into the operation. Looking forward to this maniac's future output.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Solitary and simultaneously disgusted and aroused - the natural state of the wargamer.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

kalthir posted:

And its combat strength is halved in both Combats and Assaults when attacking into close terrain since the number is in a red box.
:goonsay:

My regular wargaming group broke up and I'm dealing with it by buying Operation Dauntless, Falling Sky and ADP. Now the plan is to lure unsuspecting people with Falling Sky's pretty map and make them play the other COINs once they're hooked. I have no idea what I'm gonna do with Operation Dauntless though.

Sit in a dark corner, stroking it like a cat? I know that's what I'm gonna do!

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Showed my nonwargamer friend (he plays euros and stuff though) the map from The US Civil War in a youtube video and he says 'I would play that game' and now I think I'm going to be buying yet another game :negative:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

4outof5 posted:

Got my copy of Zones of control

Downside: does not smell like a new game, I wonder if all of china smells like new games hmmm.

Upside: 770 pages of designers notes :getin:

edit: "Goal-Driven Design and Napoleon's Triumph"

Yeah I got a copy of that too, right after it came out. Pretty good so far.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Finally got around to playing Sekigahara again this weekend - it's been sitting forlornly on my shelf for like a year now. drat good game, need to get it to the table more. I crushed as Tokugawa :toot:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I was able to teach my friend to play by skimming through the rulebook having not played or looked at the rules in nearly a year. It took < 10 minutes to explain stuff and we only screwed up one thing and that in a way that didn't affect the game. I'm glad that I have at least one wargame that is not a huge chore to teach. Turned out a lot better than when I tried to teach Next War: Taiwan to my dad after not having touched it in a long while lol.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

he1ixx posted:

Thanks for this post. It made me stop clipping counters until my *new counter clipper (linked above) arrives*. You're right. The nail clippers were already hurting my hand and its not like these counters will be the last I ever clip. I regret not ordering it sooner but I felt like $44 was a bridge too far for my wallet. Who am I kidding? This entire enterprise is a journey to a dark place where I'll be left, alone and buried in cardboard chits like quicksand. :homebrew:
I had ordered the giant tweezers from a site on Amazon promising "2 day shipping" last week. When I got the shipping notification it said "Delivery date - July 27th" and I saw the origin in China. Well, that was unexpected. Looking at the shipping info it actually looks like they may arrive soon but that's pretty lovely of them.

What giant tweezers did you order? I've been thinking I might like to have such a thing to manage certain games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Next War is making me want more operational-level games and now I have Reluctant Enemies and Beyond The Rhine sitting in my cart on NWS. Save me! :gonk: