Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Quiz posted:

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for an introductory wargame? I'm quite familiar with board gaming generally but not really this genre. Axis & Allies is probably my only exposure and I am attracted to the larger-scale, economic side of things more than the tactical. Fantasy, historical, doesn't matter to me. Also would like to avoid games in which one side plays from the perspective as the Nazis or other genocidal regime.

Thoughts?

I would definitely recommend Quartermaster General 1914 as long as playing as the powers in WWI wouldn't be too genocidal for you. Maybe something like 1944: Race to the Rhine would also float your boat (the players are all Allied commanders, the system handles the Nazis). Conquest of Paradise has several good reviews and seems to play to your interests, but I think it is out of stock most places. Twilight Struggle/Imperial Struggle again depending on how you feel about playing the countries in those games.

All of those recommendations are not "traditional" hex and counter games because I think H&C games tend to involve more tactical play, and because it's harder to think of recommendations in that field that have economic aspects and aren't about WWII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
I'd definitely participate in a group EotS adventure

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

I'm thinking of starting a LP of me going through all of the Engagements for PacWar. They are apparently solo affairs so should be doable by myself. Any interest?

:justpost:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Panzeh posted:

Anyway, on my front, i've been practicing Axis Empires Ultimate- do forgive the illegal exploitation near the end, forgot to leave a unit to make the carpet. Doesn't change much. The opening of Axis Empires, especially the TK side is all about manipulating the order of attacks to cause chain-retreats and extra hits.

Two illegal exploitations, you also exploited a 2 move unit 3 hexes. I don't think it mattered much though, pretty sure you still would have had a 6:1 on Warsaw

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Panzeh posted:

Doesn't exploitation ignore MA?

Nope, the third bullet under exploitation restrictions is that distance for an individual unit can't exceed that unit's MA

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
It's also much more realistic though, conquering territory doesn't generally increase a country's productive capacity significantly in the short term - certainly not anything like how games with "production points" tend to represent it. That's one of the reasons I've often seen WIF get labeled a "Nazi Borg" game because the Germans seem to assimilate all their conquests into the hive mind immediately. I think there's an argument AE loses a lot of relevant detail around specific resources like oil but I still tend to find the overall effect more realistic than systems that track very specific production details and give you personal control over the entirety of a country's military procurement apparatus. Also, in a personal preference sense it's abstracting a decision that I don't find interesting (in my opinion most production systems tend to have an optimal way to run them and finding it is not a particularly interesting exercise nor is executing it once you've found it).

This is also another reason I appreciate Downfall, you basically get your set replacement chits each season and you have to take a long operational pause to get them out to your armies and build them back up - when to take that pause is a potentially interesting decision and you don't have to get fiddly around determining exact numbers of people versus tanks versus planes versus submarines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Catching up on the thread and reading about the different possibilities grand strategic WW2 games offer in building your force mix put me to mind a kind of combat resolution based on chit pulls, and you can design your chit pool over the course of the game using some kind of doctrine resource. You would add in stuff like Infiltration Tactics or Close Air Support and remove bad chits your pool started with like Command Indecision. The drawn chits would not all be returned after each combat, so you would need to consider the full chit mix, not just adding one of each of the "best" ones. Adding a new chit should probably get cheaper the more of the same type were already in your pool, essentially designing your doctrine chit pool as your army's "default" way of waging war.

Is there any strategic game that represents doctrine that way?

Edit: what a moment to catch up... very sad to hear.

I am fascinated by this idea, I've never heard of a system like that but I would absolutely jump on a game that implemented something like that - I find the idea of building a doctrine way more interesting than the idea of using resource points to build units. I'd especially love it if it meant that you could have a relatively abstract combat system but with significant skill elements still - I think a grand strategy game should have relatively more abstract combat instead of lots of operational details but it seems like that tends to always boil down to "move all your units into an area and roll dice"