Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
When the last thread closed it felt like another mom and pop had gone under, now it feels like I just rolled into the Petro in Gaston, In, at midnight and there's a pullthrough open close to the building. It must be my birthday! :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Is there anything you can do in that situation other than hold on?

Start thinking about your next career.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

Well this is one way to go through a roundabout....

First couple of things I thought of;
"Haters gonna hate. "
"LEEEEEEROY..."
"beebeep"

Another C1/Drivers Solutions success story. :haw:

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

th vwls hv scpd posted:

How bad does this kind of thing screw you as a driver? I'm assuming this counts as a traffic accident.

It really depends on whose desk the report lands on and what mood they are in. You can be a 30 year driver with over a million accident free miles with the same company, but if Paul at safety's wife served him runny eggs that morning he could slam you with gross negligence, incident requiring tow, damaging equipment and loss of load. This isn't like points on your license, this is on your DAC which is a company to company reporting system. You'd never work again.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

http://youtu.be/YtTOQSRMRcM

Why hasn't this been posted yet?

Watching those guys trying to handle Euro-rigs brought me back to my trainer days. "Gas clutch shift, gas clutch shift. You won't break that pumpkin, push that stick."

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Here, have hovertrailer.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

Well, be careful out there, from the sounds of it, one of our drivers got killed/hijacked the other day in a major city in Texas.

You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL dad!
::five tone roger beep::

Seriously though, just give the truck up bros, don't even bother setting the brakes, just jump, tuck and roll. Me though, I am permitted and trained and carry a .45in anti-hijacking device.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

And since they are being hush hush about it, we don't know what the gently caress happened.

Probably has to do with an ongoing criminal investigation and how leaking information might hurt the insurance payout.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

Saw this more than once on I-10 and I-20 the other day. :ohdear:

Turn...

NOW!

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Fart Pipe posted:

Dudes I need some hot steamy trucker help. I'm going to be driving a 16ft moving truck and car dolly from Seattle to Connecticut around the middle of February next year. I know nothing about crossing the mountains in the winter. Is that something where it would be better do drive south down the coast before going east? What's the best way to penetrate the mountain range in the winter?

First, get rid of the dolly. Either have a buddy drive it or get a full trailer. A dolly gives you two points of articulation whereas a real trailer only has one. Travel by day when the sun is keeping the pavement all warm and not icy. You should be fine if you gear down going down hills and such.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

FYI Kids, there isn't any Santa, but there is a fat guy in a red truck that serves the same function. Can you please tell your parents to stop cutting me off, otherwise you fucks aren't going to have Christmas this year.

Seconded.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
I've always wanted a pete 359 shorty with a coffin sleeper.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=3285731

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
gently caress Christmas, gently caress holiday travelers, gently caress high freight volume, gently caress inconsiderate customers.

Happy New year fellas

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

Heh, you mean low freight volume. Unless you are UPS and fell asleep at the switch, this year was pretty chill. Which means they went stupid trying to get the next holiday in the door because of low sales. Yeah, who delivered Valentines poo poo and BBQers on Xmas?

In 10F weather?

No, high volume.
GM increased their orders 100% so there wouldn't be any stoppages when they opened the plants back up next week. There are piles and piles of unassembled cars in trailer lots from Lansing to Bowling Green right now with hardly anyone to move them and what am I doing? In Texas, waiting on a trailer full of soup to take over to Mississippi. For fucks sake operations, I AM AUTO DEDICATED!

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

Well I about flipped the poo poo out at work today, show up and give a once over on my truck and flip the gently caress out.

Someone stole my motherfucking mudflaps.

Now I'm about to get really loving rage angry for a couple of minutes just because why steal my motherfucking mudflaps other than the fact you can't loving drive you worthless gently caress and you ripped your mudflaps off.

I took a quick look around the yard and found a Volvo sporting International mudflaps. So I reclaimed my mudflaps and about threw their old mudflaps through their loving windshield and poo poo in their driver seat. Instead, I relaxed, got over it, and just going to loving lock my mudflaps up. I think I'll use my unused gun cablelocks.

Just go to a customer with high curbs in their drop yard and there are piles of mudflaps laying around.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
I just worked straight through the holidays and made less than what I would have one my dedicated route. gently caress you PAM!
GM opens next week, I can't wait.

DesperateDan posted:

The guy pulls in at an angle, then reverses out, and I figure he is going to get it in the generous, well marked bay that way- hell, even the best of us don't get it right first time all the time. Nope, he just needed to make sure he was parked straight, bays be damned.

Wrong thread?

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

How cute, you think the company will PAY for that! Simple cure, in cold weather, idle the truck and burn .3G/hour and keep everything from freezing, but it's cheaper to thaw out a bunch of trucks than burn fuel!

:q:

In other news, I got new to me drive tires and steer tires! A couple fresh mismatched set of recaps!

Except

They installed them wrong. I don't know how they installed them wrong. I mean I know HOW they installed them wrong, but it is such a rookie tire mistake that I can't loving believe it. So now that I am back home, I get to go back to a professional tire shop and have them completely dismounted from the wheels and remounted as a complete set.

Can anyone tell me how to not correctly mount dual tires? Let's see if you are better than our paid tire service personnel!

Oh yeah, and aligned too. After all, somehow my truck has gone through a couple of sets of steer tires, being told it needs an alignment, telling the shop it needs an alignment, but getting ignored over that fact for 180,000 miles.

Directional tread?

And I thought you were done with recaps.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Yes, limited visibility, the best time to be going faster.

Most truck drivers in Canada are Eastern European, Indian and, Pakistani so they were taught to drive with a deathwish from the beginning.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Javid posted:

It is 100% about them being able to find SOMETHING to gently caress you with at any time.

See also: you can refuse permission for them to look inside the cab but they can measure the thickness of your mattress (which is legally mandated) without permission.

Don't forget the sleeper harness in a single bunk truck.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
I'm stuck on US280 south of Birmingham, could someone stop by with some snow chains?
Thanks in advance...

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

Lock in powerdivider, hammer down son.

With 7k in the box? I'm waiting this one out. My route takes me from Opelika to Lansing, I've never shut down for snow or ice, this ice is different somehow, maybe it's the completely untreated roads.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

"Avoid Atlanta until the storm passes," Governor tells Truckers
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...medium=facebook

Your thoughts?

Nathan Deal can go gently caress himself, I live near Atlanta.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

West SAAB Story posted:

J.B. Hunt still an option?

PAM and USA are left unmentioned as well.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Jared592 posted:

Hey fellas, about to head out on a 6,000 mile cross-country (USA) road trip, and I figured truckers know a thing or two about minimizing the pain of extended time on the road. Are there any particular cushions/other things I can purchase/do to make my ride more comfortable? This trip is being made in an econobox. I plan to get a Spotify account and load up a ton of podcasts to make the long trip less mentally fatiguing. I'd like any tips you've got on how to ease the physical pain of sitting in the same position for hours at a time.

Is going to be painful, no way around that. Get out and stretch often. Get audio books, and the Waze app. Mount your phone to the windshield near or in your line of vision but not as to block your view of the road. This will make going to dick with ita little easier but only marginally safer.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

http://youtu.be/9gSZdaZhZ4o

What the gently caress? over.

Why is he clutching after he's moving?

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

This is a pistol.

That's a short barreled rifle...

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
I almost squish'd someone last night, but it has a happy ending... for me anyway...
http://youtu.be/Onff3gYwvnI

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Welp guys, I hosed up.

As we speak, I am headed towards laredo texas, on a greyhound bus, to attend orintation for swift. I was told I could jump on board for flatbed headed out of laredo, but we all know how recruiters are.

Will keep you updated.

You're actually in luck. Swift has been so hard up for flatbed drivers to haul new expediter vans out of Laredo that I've seen a Chevy single axle (non-cdl) pulling a roll on car trailer picking up the slack. Enjoy that extended frame Cascadia though, looks like a bitch to turn.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
Make sure to deduct it from your taxes.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

Another bright idea from ATA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iabC7-9YUG4

Sure, bring people out who haven't been on the road for more than just a few years in a car, that'll bump our driver numbers and fill the ranks with kids who don't know what a good paycheck is...

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

What IS a good paycheck anyway?

:shepspends:
Look across the water, Brown Eyes, I'll tell you about the rabbits...

Turk February posted:

Oh god. I can only imagine what the starting cpm rate will be for new drivers now if that new age requirement goes into effect.

poo poo, I started at PAM at 17.5 cpm as a team driver.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

This isn't that uncommon. Also be on the look-out for replaced lights as well, and you'll also end up missing your glad hand rubbers. So it looks like I get to replace a drive tire....whenever I loving feel like it, because I got the truck out of the shop yesterday, and by the time I got home, I had a flat tire....with what looks like a loving socket jammed through the tread.

:homebrew:

All of our trailer lights are riveted down to dissuade reappropriation and I take the seals off any trailer I drop in Laredo that's going south.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
About time something happened to that dickwallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
You do know that we're not considered "employees" right? We're "drivers".

• Locked thread