Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I broke this

and also this

and this too

and one of these

and this broke as well

All because of "roads" like this. i make no appologies for bug bits.

I hit a baby deer with this, but it didn't break it, just covered it in baby deer goo and bent it a little. i cleaned the baby deer goo off to inspect it and it's all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

[quote="Kontour" post="418683944"l

Cockburn Ranges, Aus

Well at least the water made the corrugations slightly better. On a related note, I love air actuated diff locks!
[/quote]

That's a pretty nice Highway, mate.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 25, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

In Canada a turnpike double is limited to 100kph and certain highways. A super b at 63, 500kg can go anywhere at whatever the speed limit is. It's not abnormal to see a loaded super b doing 120kph.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DonVincenzo posted:

Here's a short video off the road. Admittedly most of the time I do boring stuff but this was particularly steep (except it doesn't quite show in movement).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boV2ViF8Lf0

I ran into a hill like that, then it rained and i had to be pulled up by a cat. It was a pain in the dick because there was a sharp 90 right as the hill started to level out, so with the truck turned and the trailer still on the hard slope, it completely unloaded the right hand side of the truck and lead to tire spinnage. In the center of this picture you can see where it was repeatedly getting dug out. Once it rained and turned to mud all hell broke loose.

Some days you just can't complain about the view from the ol' office.

Edit: This is what fluid movement can do. Spun some tires on flat ground, on pavement, loaded.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 26, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

Wyoming.jpg please note I'm not driving and trying to take a picture in that mess, I'm in the jumpseat.

That's a pretty nice picture of a perfectly usable highway :colbert:

I only work in alberta, but the roads and views are varied enough.

http://imgur.com/a/G1EGM#5

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My dash is more wire than plastic at this point.

Remaining electrical gremlins:

-bunk heater blower fan dead, A/c and heater core work.
-Front A/C randomly defaults to OMG BURNING MY FACE OFF
-Stereo randomly goes into "gently caress you, i do what i want" mode, in which my music keeps playing but i have no control beyond that. I think that might be the connection to the faceplate.
-entire fog light circuit dead.

And i don't know if you could consider it an electrical gremlin, but both headliner speakers have come unglued, and the speaker magnets stuck to the cab. I honked at an rear end in a top hat for driving up the shoulder in a traffic jam to get ahead, and the air horn stuck to the speaker magnet and stuck on until i reached in and freed it. When i have my music turned up, inside the truck it sounds like a symphony, outside the truck it sounds like a rave. I'm tempted to install some aftermarket stuff, there's a hole pre-cut under the sleeper for a 12" sub, but most of the speaker wire is barely thicker than a twist tie, and i don't feel like disassembling everything to install speakers.

edit: also, mack ordered me a huge box of the metal mini blade breakers for $2.50 a piece. they replace mini blade fuses, and last forever. They're backordered and they can't gaurantee they come in, but if they do it's 75 bucks to never have to buy a fuse again. My mack came with them and it's been a blessing. Hearing a click and waiting 10 seconds when you gently caress something up sure beats replacing a fuse every time you do.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 2, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The cheap rear end plastic breakers, yes. The metal ones in the mack take a couple minutes to reset themselves, and make a very loud click when they're tripped. I would have destroyed quite a few fuses figuring out why the hell my 220 watt work lights were tripping a 40 amp circuit. It ended up being the interior sleeper box lights being wired from the same switch to a relay on the main circuit panel as the exterior lights wired to a secondary fuse panel in the sleeper.

These trucks are built under the assumption that nothing will ever be changed with them, and nothing will ever go wrong.

If it's not 8,000,000*c tomorrow, i'm going to wire an entirely new fog light circuit from the switch to the lights.

I have to duck and dodge around retarded laws, i'm planning on putting 4 hella dual beams(2 spot, 2 flood). By law, they all have to be under the center line of the headlight, 2 can't be active while the high beams are on, the other 2 can't be active while low beams are on. Despite the fact that i'll only really be using them off-road. I'll have to wire in a super secret switch that allows me to run high beams and all 4 lights.

installing a 50" rigid light bar and calling it a day is tempting, but 4 #30 lights vs a $1800 light and getting rocks chucked at me by logging trucks pretty much made the decision for me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

In alberta, turnpike doubles can run on certain highways, and can run 2 53 foot trailers, with a dolly inbetween you're looking at 115 feet of trailer. Super Bs are a pretty common sight, and were even used offroad up until a few years ago when most were replaced with tri drive trucks and either 3 axle trailers or quad wagons.

A tri-drive with a quad wagon and a 20,000lb front end can run nearly as heavy as a super-b, without dragging 80 feet and 5 axles of dead weight, and in the hands of a skilled driver, can turn around in the turning circle of the truck.

With what i do, tandem drive/tridom trailer is still the preferred rig-up, you get the economy of a tandom/tandom on the highway, the weight of 6 axles, and the ability to put over 50% of the weight on the tractor if needed.

edit: i linked an album on the last page with photos from the road, might as well link an album from the means of conveyance, headlined of course, by my two favorite pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/DTKg5

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 7, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Red_October_7000 posted:

So here's a video from a site that's a good one for passing time, the sort of stuff I think truckers will enjoy. I warn you that it's decidedly :nws:, and that you'll want an ad blocker... It just so happens that this one video is actually a truck video...
http://grab.orsm.net/php/flow.php?file=update20131010/truck-brakes-fail-going-down-a-hill.mp4
Which leads me to ask, was there anything better this guy should have done, or was he pretty much hosed?

He should have aimed for cheaper vehicles, god drat.

He also shouldn't have been driving like a dink.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hypnolobster posted:

Assuming it's got air brakes, shouldn't the spring brakes have slammed on there? It's sort of hard to imagine a situation where something could go so wrong that the entire system couldn't depressurize and engage the springs.

Unless it was some kind of enormous brake fade, but it looked reasonably under control in the beginning.

Hell, for that matter I've never seen a video of a truck losing air pressure. I've always assumed the brakes re-engaging would be awfully pants-making GBS threads for a moment.

It is brake fade. the brake drums heat up, move away from the shoes, the shoes can no longer contact the drums, the truck runs away. This is why runaway lanes exist.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've just had a catastrophic exhaust failure. Only 1 clamp remaining in the entire system. Melted air Lines, oh god the melted airlines. And they are all black, who's fuckin idea was that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

one of those loving days.

Edit: and then I get blocked in by someone having a worse day.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 28, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have labeled pics of my last truck which was ordered with every gage hole filled. I'll post it wheni get home.

One of Jonathan Co workers tried taking out the bridge on the only road into and out of where we were working. Luckily the bridge was stronger than his drive axles and the truck slid far enough out of the way without em

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mooseykins posted:

Trucks are limited to 56mph in Europe.

I run out of gears at 81mph, even that is bullshit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

th vwls hv scpd posted:

How bad does this kind of thing screw you as a driver? I'm assuming this counts as a traffic accident.

In my experiences, you're more likely to get fired for refusing to drive through the wind than trying and getting pushed over by it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

0rganDonor posted:

Here, have hovertrailer.

I can hear the call to dispatch now.

Driver: "hey, there are no axles under that trailer you told me to take"
Dispatch: "that's the only trailer we've got for you right now, you're just going to have to figure something out, and the client needs you there an hour early because they have a pet grooming appointment better get to it" *click*

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's a terrible place to park.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

I'm completely impressed. How do you lay a truck down like that.

It's actually quite easy. You start reading something on your phone, drop your passenger size tires off the road, violently over-correct to the left, and gravity/momentum does the rest.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Javid posted:

There are places on 80 in Wyoming that close so often they went ahead and installed permanent gates they can shut at will. Let that tell you something about your odds.

They only install gates because a squad car parked across 2 of 3 lanes won't stop people like me.

Road closures are for people who've never run a steering chain.

Anyways, this is how my weekend is looking.

Luckily, the location we're working is only 6km off the "main" road(about 40km off pavement), so my tires should survive, even if we have to chain up. The last job up there was over 20km of 1 way traffic with nowhere to chain up and rounded off the traction blocks on my rear drives. I'm ready to go for this round with a brand new set of heavy chains. and bungie tighteners and the whole deal.

Last time was chaining up in mud, even if we have to, doing it on packed snow is going to be SO much easier.

In other news, knowing that the truck is going to auction this spring one way or another has slowed my progress on the little things that need to be fixed. Hope the next owner doesn't mind not having A/C!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"Two Lane" "Highway"

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 6, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Days like this, it makes me feel good to know i've only got 5 months max left in this truck.

a 12 liter diesel engine with half of the radiator blocked off propelling 40,000lbs to 70 miles an hour isn't enough to heat the coolant over 110*f. I actually have to hold my hands against the heater core to warm my fingertips up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

Getting cold as gently caress up in the Great White North? My tranny is being a whore it's been so cold. It's like trying to gently caress a pail of frozen molasses to shift until I can get the needle to move.

A couple weeks ago i started the truck at -31*C, when i let the clutch pedal out, it stalled. i couldn't even move the shifter. The range shift sycnhro is a sensitive little bitch, and there is no approved synthetic fluid for it, so i'm stuck with it.

I was sleeping in the truck the other night in grande prairie, it hit -32*C, woke up at 3am freezing to death. the coolant temp and oil temp weren't even on the gauge. I couldn't be hosed to get out and cover up the rad, so i just cranked the RPM up to 1500. Even then it didn't drop the fuel more than an inch.

I'm almost certain the thermostat is stuck open, but considering my intercooler is behind the rad, it gives me more horsepower so it's not gonna get fixed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

So what you going to replace the Mack with?

A new truck or a new career. Haven't decided which.

If it's a new truck, i'm leaning towards a Kenworth W900l glider kit with a pre-EGR cat.

Specifically, this one. http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=4565579

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EightBit posted:

As long as that's the dispatcher's rear end?

But they talk out of there!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You call that a narrow bridge? It doesn't even look muddy, and there isn't a gravel 10% grade on either side :colbert:

God i miss work. :smith:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

Hello I am back.

This showed up recently on my facebook feed from this winter in January where it went from -30 to +12C

Suck my dick dispatch.

This is why i spent 3 days raising my air tanks and battery boxes.

if he chained up both axles, he would have made it

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The engine will rev up to whatever you force it to rev up to, around 3k valves will meet pistons. Around 3500 it will build an inspection window in the block.

The engine kill won't stop the driveline from running the engine up to whatever it wants to.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Street Horrrsing posted:

Mmmm, good to know I was right not to fool around with it lol. That's interesting to know that 3k is when real poo poo happens.

it's 3k give or take. A larger or older engine will grenade sooner. My engine computer had 14 seconds logged at 2800rpm, but i'm an idiot who does dumb stuff sometimes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A Melted Tarp posted:

What is that shiny metal cylinder attached to the front by the hood?

Air cleaner. There's a big filter inside of it. Most modern trucks stick it under the hood because modern engines sit so low. It's basically an aesthetic thing at this point.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's all fun and games until hard rime completely plugs off the pre-filters and all your power dissapears.

Internal air filters handle the situation a little differently

By the time it hit the filter, it's really no different than humid air.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pin puller, or fifth wheel pin puller.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Electric drive, like a diesel locomotive.

The real power comes from a 3200hp, 85 liter twin turbo V16

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Most of the industry still doesn't pay fuckall, as well. It's a lot of work and a lot of risk for very little reward for the first decade.

I can't imagine it's going to get better either. In canada rather than raising wages, they've lobbied to loosen immigration for professional drivers. Drivers is right up there with doctors and welders for the fast track to residency now, i can see that happening in the US. Some of the frac crews out here now are entirely irish. A lot of the coast to coast guys are eastern european. A common joke is that if you want an easier job, put on a turban and jump in a gravel truck.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

His turbo is probably being held on by one bolt simultaneously causing it to soot, and distributing that soot around the drivers side of the engine.. That's just what the airflow does to it. With my mack i can put my arm out the window against the door at -40*C and it won't be cold.

Similar thing happened to me, but i have a black truck to start with.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I went through about 20 turbo studs on the mack before i finally got a full set of 4 that would hold. I guess i'm lucky in that, as normally it's the turbo flange that cracks off.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

Problem is, this is mostly going to land on the people making diesel tuning equipment and software, which is (as I understand it) mostly the same as the stuff dipshit rednecks use for smoke tunes.

AKA haha, hope you didn't want to buy a diesel tuner anytime soon.

DPF delete stuff has allways been labeled as "Race only" or "offroad use only"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've seen someone stuck like this before.

Hell, i've done it myself but pulled it off because did it at a crossroads cause i'm only half retarded.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The new mack econodynes run 2.66 rear gears to turn at 1100 RPM at 60mph.

Live slow, die whenever, i guess.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mine has a center button for a cute little "meep meep" and a loud gently caress-off air horn handle coming out of the roof.

the regular meep meep horn is nice for when you want to get someone's attention, but don't want to get EVERYBODY's attention.

Funny story though. My front left speaker is in the headliner right behind the air handle. I drive like an rear end in a top hat on roads rougher than you've ever seen, so the speaker broke loose from the headliner and the magnet stuck to the side of the cab, so if i use the air horn, the lever sticks to the speaker magent and the horn gets stuck on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I don't remember parking in the ocean :(

• Locked thread