Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krakkles
May 5, 2003

G-Mach posted:

Yes there is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papa_Loved_Mama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com/us_eng/real/magazines/ra_v15i1/ra_industry.asp
Low rolling resistance tires are required, basically.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

Is this some "I brought it back with the tanks all topped up" scam or what's going on here
Sounds more like "You're not going to pay me <owed money>? Oh ... that's unfortunate." to me.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

0rganDonor posted:

Is going to be painful, no way around that. Get out and stretch often. Get audio books, and the Waze app. Mount your phone to the windshield near or in your line of vision but not as to block your view of the road. This will make going to dick with ita little easier but only marginally safer.
I'm not sure about other states, but if you're traveling through California, this is advice I'd be cautious about - state law says you can only mount things in a couple of certain areas:

quote:

(12) A portable Global Positioning System (GPS), which may be mounted in a seven-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver or in a five-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver and outside of an airbag deployment zone, if the system is used only for door-to-door navigation while the motor vehicle is being operated.

Edit: it's CVC 26708 if you want to read more (there is more)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Is this enforced in nanny-state cali?

Most states have stuff like this but usually I think it's used as a secondary reason to initiate a stop based on profiling. My wife has driven with a GPS in the middle of the window in NYS for years and had no issues.
I've seen people pulled over for it but not cited - so yes, it's typically used as an excuse to stop somebody, but I wouldn't call it secondary.

InterceptorV8 posted:

And this effects non-Californians how?

Krakkles posted:

I'm not sure about other states, but if you're traveling through California

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

How about dash mounts? That particular code doesn't really seem to address them, but I'm curious if any states have addressed this (yet).

I have a phone mount on my dash (specifically for using GPS functions) - it's placed in the corner where the dash meets the windshield and A-pillar, but it's not mounted to the glass - it's affixed with (one of the strongest I've seen) suction cup to the top of the dash. It's just barely inside my field of view when driving; enough that when it pops up something saying I need to turn (even when muted), it'll get my attention. To be specific, it's this.

Code also address DVRs, but regulates them by stating only 30 seconds before and after an event may be recorded, if it's attached to the windshield, and needs stickers warning passengers of recording. Mine is attached to the rearview mirror mount, with only about an inch protruding below the mirror.

e: I'm curious about this both on noncommercial and commercial vehicles
Doesn't apply to dash mounts. It only stipulates the windshield.

InterceptorV8 posted:

I'm a bit confused about the California law, since there are things in other states that are legal, yet illegal in CA. Will CA pull me over for tint and no plate on my out of state pickup?
Truthfully, I live and drive in California in a vehicle without a front plate, and a different vehicle with "too much" tint. You will not likely be pulled over for it, but you CAN be.

two forty posted:

California is a stupid special snowflake that plays by its own rules and fellates out back by the dumpster.
:rolleyes:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

They can pull you over for it, but can't cite you for it, since you're complying with the laws of the state you're registered and resident in.
So I can drive my California registered car, or, say, a rental from Pennsylvania, in DC with a radar detector?

Not at all true, they can still cite for it.

Edit: Here's a newspaper column with advice from a retired CHP officer. TL;DR is it's enforceable, but in his estimation (and mine), most LEOs wouldn't enforce it.

http://www.redding.com/news/2011/dec/31/monty-hight-tinted-windows-legal-elsewhere-may/

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 30, 2014

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Radar detector isn't part of your car. I was mostly talking about the license plate thing.
Oh, I didn't notice the goalposts moving. Carry on, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Not that it explains anything, but here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiLj3MsLCrw

• Locked thread