Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

InterceptorV8 posted:

It just depends on the state, and the states next to it as well, you'll see fun combos in some states, like a 48 foot spread towing a 53 foot spread drop deck. But welcome to the fun world of OTR in the USA, where you are limited to 55mph in some states, and 80mph in others! You also only have 22 million people living in Australia, we have almost 12 million illegal in the US, and we have like 300 million people that don't know how to use their turn signals.

I found that the Feds have compiled the state-by-state exemptions, showing how much of a disjointed disaster it is.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=32a1bf7a894281cf5a28759c274907ef&r=PART&n=23y1.0.1.7.33#23:1.0.1.7.33.0.1.14.29

On the Ohio Turnpike you usually can't go ten miles without seeing a UPS double or triple hauling along. Doubles can have 102 feet from the front of the first trailer to the rear of the second, triples only get 95 feet. That means they can't run full length doubles, but they can run one full and one California-sized unit or two Californias.

Considering the short trailers are sort of specialized to this use I'm not 100% on why they don't use the B-double style with an integrated fifth wheel, but all we see are the "double road train" and "triple road train" styles, C and G on Wiki's chart, limited by length. Probably something to do with backing in to loading docks, I'd imagine the integrated units make loading/unloading a challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

kastein posted:

The problem is, these stupid fuckers just finally rocked the boat enough that the EPA is actually hitting tuner companies for it.

Where exactly are they going against tuners? The EPA didn't even make a comment on this topic until Talking Points Memo directly asked them about it because some coaltard videos had gone viral. Even then they just pointed to an old FAQ page.

As for diesel tuning as a whole, Gale Banks said it well back in '08:

quote:

We’re currently running a drag race truck, which also happens to be the world’s quickest and fastest diesel drag race truck...and there’s no smoke coming from that one either, and we’re only running one injection pump. How is it that we can run one 3.3 Bosch pump and beat these guys that are running all kinds of additional fuel capacity on their engines? All of them blow smoke, but we make clean passes, and we’re quicker and faster. If that doesn’t prove what I’m saying to the smoke boys, then God help them.

On an old mechanical diesel it's the nature of the beast, you just don't have the adjustability to make peak power and burn clean at the same time, but anyone rolling coal on a modern electronically injected unit is just throwing up the retard flag for all to see.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Also a bold move from the driver for trying to ransom the load.

One of my customers brokers produce loads, more than a few times I've been there and overheard them dealing with similar situations where the driver has the load but wants more money than initially agreed upon to actually deliver it. They often end up paying it if the request isn't too bad because it's easier than eating the cost and suing the driver and probably not getting anything anyways.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 25, 2014

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

tater_salad posted:

It doesn't specify per truck.. but I'd imagine if it was a fleet the rules would be changed since a manufacturer isn't going to be running 100s of trucks. Reading it again it seems like it's EIther or.. basically 5mil ins, 5mil bond, or 5mil cash @ the DMV

That's also a requirement based on autonomous vehicles licensing being explicitly experimental at the moment. It's pretty fair IMO to ask that experimental vehicles, especially ones that could potentially send many tons of cargo out of control, carry much more insurance than a normal vehicle. Obviously that'll have to change when the technology is ready to go mainstream.

I really want to see how one of these autonomous trucks handles some serious crosswinds. I guess in Nevada they'll definitely get them.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cakefool posted:

:psyduck: that's pants on head retarded.

I'm sure the weight savings allow them to carry more product, so either someone's done the math and figured it's worth the additional complexity in these kinds of situations or it's just another case of bean counters causing trouble they won't be held responsible for.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

floor is lava posted:

I work for a produce truck broker. I feel for you guys. Happy trucker appreciation week.

I do IT work for a produce truck broker, and one time while I was out there upgrading their dispatch software I overheard them arranging to wire a driver $20 so he could buy a set of shoes so the facility he was loading up at would let him go inside.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

A TURGID FATSO posted:

If you don't already work with steel-toed footwear and you drive a truck (or any other rough job) then you're a loving retard.

That's what I was thinking the whole time I was listening to it unfold. It wasn't even like he had inappropriate shoes like sandals or similar, he seemingly didn't have any shoes at all. I work with computers and I wear steel toes (dropping a battery backup on your feet sucks).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

jonathan posted:

whats with all this e-log talk all of the sudden ? I'm in Canada, was there a rule change in the USA ?

After years of delays e-logs are finally becoming mandatory in the US in the middle of December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I have one of the custom-fit Proclip cradle setups and love it. It was definitely pricey for what it is but it also holds my phone perfectly in place while off-roading.

• Locked thread