Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cakefool posted:

What? Why would you do that? What possible benefit is there to the company?

A lot of areas ban jake brakes, often citywide. I'd guess the penny pinchers did it to avoid fines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

I'm tempted to install some aftermarket stuff, there's a hole pre-cut under the sleeper for a 12" sub, but most of the speaker wire is barely thicker than a twist tie, and i don't feel like disassembling everything to install speakers.

A small part of me always wondered if big trucks ever wound up with decent stereos. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Friar Zucchini posted:

On cars with rear drum brakes, the parking brake operates the same drums in back that the actual "I want to stop the car" brakes do, so I'd guess that'd be the same on a truck. So if the problem is that the brakes got hot and warped, then you're hosed no matter what.

I've also had cars with 4 wheel disc that still used the regular brakes - the parking brake cable just yanked both calipers toward the center of the car when applied.

(Honda/Acura Integras do this, at least from 1990+ - I'd assume Civic Si/SiRs do as well)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Along the same lines, what do all the gauges and switches do in, say, a fairly modern OTR truck?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:stare:

I assume there's about a billion alarms to tell you when something is up, right? Because no way in hell can it be safe to constantly scan all of the gauges.

I know there's usually a buzzer for air pressure, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

How.. does he even manage backing up to a dock? :ohdear:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e: nevermind

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 16, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

On I-10 this morning, I saw a truck being towed that had obviously managed to land shiny side down.

... one of the side walls of the trailer was hanging out at a rather nasty angle, with plenty of cargo exposed, a few things falling out on bumps.

Am I being a bit :tinfoil: in thinking they should have done something to secure the trailer somewhat prior to taking it on a major highway at near highway speeds? It seems like even just a ratchet strap around the top/bottom would have been plenty.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Saw this more than once on I-10 and I-20 the other day. :ohdear:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I saw something ages ago that still pops into my head from time to time.

Saw a big truck going down I-35E between DFW and Waco. The trailer was cocked about 5-10 degrees compared to the truck. He was taking up a small chunk of the shoulder, with his steers almost into the next lane. Still doing about 60 mph. The tires didn't sound or smell happy about this arrangement.

I've seen similar a couple of times, but usually it's 1-2 degrees. Never seen anything that bad since then.

Cause(s)?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IIRC, it's what it sounds like - they intentionally add liquid (50/50 water/antifreeze, I think?) to help balance the wheel/tire instead of using weights. There's some :science: involving how much liquid should actually be added, I'm not even going to pretend to know how much liquid you put in or how it manages to work, but I'd imagine it would ruin the inside of the tire in a hurry.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Paging nutcup :siren:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Krakkles posted:

I'm not sure about other states, but if you're traveling through California, this is advice I'd be cautious about - state law says you can only mount things in a couple of certain areas:

Edit: it's CVC 26708 if you want to read more (there is more)

How about dash mounts? That particular code doesn't really seem to address them, but I'm curious if any states have addressed this (yet).

I have a phone mount on my dash (specifically for using GPS functions) - it's placed in the corner where the dash meets the windshield and A-pillar, but it's not mounted to the glass - it's affixed with (one of the strongest I've seen) suction cup to the top of the dash. It's just barely inside my field of view when driving; enough that when it pops up something saying I need to turn (even when muted), it'll get my attention. To be specific, it's this.

Code also address DVRs, but regulates them by stating only 30 seconds before and after an event may be recorded, if it's attached to the windshield, and needs stickers warning passengers of recording. Mine is attached to the rearview mirror mount, with only about an inch protruding below the mirror.

e: I'm curious about this both on noncommercial and commercial vehicles

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Javid posted:

A Qualcomm app that did the same poo poo and let you use your phone instead of that giant klunky terminal would be pretty awesome. Plus screenshots would be handy.

That would absolutely MURDER your phone battery if it relied on "fine location" (GPS). It'd need to be plugged into at least a 1-1.5 amp charger constantly.

I know just using Google Maps is enough to keep my phone (slightly) discharging while plugged in and in active use, though I have a 750mA car charger (phone can take up to 1.5A).

Plus who's to say they wouldn't build the app to spy on phone calls, texts, emails, etc? Or give dispatchers the ability to turn on the camera?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gotcha. Android is far less secure in that regard; you do get a popup showing what permissions an app wants before installing, but who actually reads every detail? (not most)

As a supplement, I can see it as being pretty handy. Especially if the existing (well, next-gen) Qualcomm had, say, NFC, or low powered wifi built in to allow you to tether your phone to it for such functions.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Edit: nothing to see here

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 31, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yup. Cheapies are in the $20-50 range on Amazon (search for "refrigerant detector")

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I think some of the lack of power is the fact that you stopped at Fuel City and had tacos. Maybe swam in their "fountain" too.

Everyone raves about their tacos, but I honestly wasn't impressed - I know of a lot better places.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Everyone raves about gas station tacos?

http://www.dallasobserver.com/bestof/2013/award/best-late-night-restaurant-3377744/
http://directory.dmagazine.com/best-of-big-d/Best-Tacos-Fuel-City/23784
http://www.dallasobserver.com/bestof/2007/award/best-example-of-texas-in-a-nutshell-747940/

Yes.

Also, the best tacos shops I've found are usually in the back of run down gas stations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Is this the place that was featured on Diners Driveins and Dives years ago? I always told myself the next time I'm back in Dallas to visit family I'd hit them up.

Yup.

Honestly, the tacos are good, and it's a 24 hour place (which is nice for drunk runs, aside from being just down the street from the county jail), but I know of far better places. Unfortunately none of them are near Fuel City.

CannonFodder posted:

I'm gonna mark out for New Mexico Green Chile cuisine as represented by the Petro in Milan NM and you can't stop me.

I grew up on both Mexican and New Mexican cuisine. Green chiles are a part of drat near everything I cook.

You've missed out on the Hatch chile season by a few weeks, but anything with New Mexico green chiles is going to be good. And hopefully hot.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I think that's nutcup.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mine was usually 160/110, BMI was around 30. Then found out I'm diabetic and have high cholesterol on top of all of that!

I got a job stocking shelves at Wal-Mart. The weight hasn't come off much yet, but my blood sugar is way down (sometimes too low, I've started keeping my glucose meter on me along with glucose tablets), as is my blood pressure (it was 115/67 about an hour ago, though it always spikes to at least 150/100 when I'm at the dr's).

I grew up on the border of Mexico/Texas. My diet growing up had a lot of lard and fried poo poo in it, to put it mildly.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The King of Swag posted:

He says he's seen that before, and called it white coat syndrome, where anytime you see a doctor, your body goes full panic.

I have the same thing, and even warned him the first time I visited "I have white coat syndrome, my blood pressure reading will be a lot higher than normal". I've taken my blood pressure at home (with a higher end Omron machine), and seen 120/55 immediately before going to the dr.

Get there? 160/110. Sometimes higher, rarely lower. My doctor has asked me to keep track of it at home. I not only take it twice a day at home (and it's usually 115-130 over 60-75), but also at work (they have one of those higher end kiosks that weighs you, calculates BMI, does a vision screening, blood pressure, etc - and emails it to you afterwards) - and get nearly identical results.

That was immediately after my lunch break started the other day, so my heart rate was still a bit high from moving so much. Google Fit says I'm averaging over 14k steps/day on days I work for Wally.

If I forget my blood pressure med, it's more like 145/100.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

C'mon guys, if you're gonna be bouncing on nutcup's connecting rod while driving, at least wait until you're in the middle of nowhere.

Someone's gonna be looking for a new job. Also, it's had that highway down to 1 lane for 5 hours so far. At least they managed to get the trailer onto another truck by now, but news is saying it spilled over 200 gallons of fuel. I don't even see any tanks attached to the rig anymore :stare:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So here's something random.

Let's say someone that has health issues has been thinking of getting a CDL (via a local school instead of through a company program). I've had some people tell me that diabetes is an instant disqualifier, but various websites say it only subjects the driver to some additional screening, and others suggest that's only if the person is using insulin.

Issues are type 2 beetus, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol - all are pretty well controlled between diet, exercise, and meds. This person (me) doesn't use insulin, only oral medications. The last round of bloodwork came back completely normal except for A1c and glucose (so basically only the diabetes is still showing up, but only a little above the levels that someone without beetus would show).

Would this person stand a chance of getting a CDL? I'd also test positive for benzos, but I have a script for them (one that I rarely take; I'm prescribed 225mg a day, and usually take 0-25mg most days); this last 3 month refill of 90 still has about 75 or 80 left in the bottle, filled 2 months ago).

tl;dr if I'm going to be delivering poo poo, I may as well get paid to use a company vehicle, instead of using my own car.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 3, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

InterceptorV8 posted:

Look into Hotshotting if you live in Texas.

No CDL and you can haul rear end.

Still in Texas.

Most of the hotshot ads on Craigslist say not to apply if you don't own a low mileage late model truck or van, but doing a bit of googling shows a surprising number of courier/hot shot companies in the area that hire drivers with small cars. It's not low mileage (well, it is for its age - 2006, built in 2005, with 107k), but it's reliable, and looks a hell of a lot newer than it is (paint still shines, interior looks new aside from the drivers floormat, etc). It's mildly disturbing that half of the hotshot company web pages mention religion though, I definitely wouldn't be a good fit with those companies.

Not so sure I'd be a fan of being 1099 instead of an employee, I'd have to make sure I had all my ducks in a row for tax deductions. Luckily, my dad is a CPA, if I go that route.

It looks like there's plenty of companies hiring for Valentine's Day deliveries, that could put a few extra bucks in my pocket over a few days (a lot more than delivering pizza would anyway)

Thanks jerk, now I'm going to be up all night looking at non-CDL transportation jobs on Craigslist and Monster. :hf:

There's always Uber too, but that's a whole other can of worms, especially when it comes to insurance.

e: there's a job posting for picking up deceased pets. :staredog: I don't think I could handle that.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 9, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jared592 posted:

That trailer took it pretty well!

Always thought trailers were made of paper bags and dried monkey poo poo from watching Highway to Hell. But if you slow it down, you can see the rear wheels took the brunt of the impact. I'd bet that a foot or two in in either direction and that trailer would have been in pieces.

I hope the driver of the truck that hit that dumbass was okay, that was a hell of a hit. :ohdear:

MrYenko posted:

He could've had the decent to use all the time he now had standing around to edit that loving video down a bit.

Not everyone has Windows Movie Maker even though it's free oh who am I kidding he was just being lazy with the video.

Kinda tempted to set my cam for at least 5 minute clips now though. Dunno about 10, since the firmware on mine won't let me FF/RW. Then again, I have my laptop with me pretty much constantly, so popping the SD card into it isn't exactly a big deal. Battery on my camera is shot enough that I can't play back video without it plugged in anyway (it'll power on for about 30 seconds without being plugged in).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 27, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

jonathan posted:

blind the gently caress out of pickups with lightbars on

Please do this, and when you're done, come down here where all the brotrucks run massive LED lightbars on well-lit streets. Every time one goes by on the other side of the road I with those light bars on, I have to pull over and stop for a minute because I can't see a loving thing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

This happens on even the most basic of rental cars. The rental I had when I wrecked one car had expired registration and inspection tags - a closer look showed that the VIN on the inspection was for a completely different make/year of car, and the registration tag had a different county and license plate printed on it.

Wound up getting pulled over at least once a day every time I drove it. Enterprise basically said I was up poo poo creek in terms of a discount over it, but since I reported it, they would go after the person who had previously rented the car, and they filed a police report (turns out the fact that we print the license plate on the registration sticker comes in a little handy).

IIRC it was a brand new Mitsubishi Galant (only a few thousand miles on it), the inspection was from a ~15 year old car of some sort and had expired 3 months prior. I assume the registration sticker was from the same car, though our registration stickers only show the county, license plate, and expiration (inspection tags had the VIN written on them, though we've done away with inspection stickers as of this year).

Oh yeah. Tires were bald as poo poo. Again, car only had a few thousand miles on it. I'd guess they had a shady tire shop swap them onto their own car, if they didn't flat out swap the wheels themselves (it had hubcaps, so if the bolt pattern was the same...)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 1, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I put mine in the center cupholders. Fits nicely. I want to get a mount but I haven't found one I like yet for my current car.

This one works in any car. Yeah, it's kinda permanent (well, you can use goo gone to get rid of the adhesive if you ever remove it), but it's not falling off the dash like a suction cup mount would, and you can just toss your phone at it (once you put one of the included steel plates in or on your case).

I have 1 of those, and a suction cup one (also magnetic) in my car (don't quite need 2 phones for work, but having 2 makes it a shitload easier, since I'm often running multiple gig driver apps and all of them on one phone slows it down to the point that it takes 1-2 minutes to even load Google Maps).

The phone would probably fall off of a magnetic mount in an accident, but at least you're not distracted by trying to hold the drat thing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Even with the phone in a cradle, in a wreck, the phone may take flying lessons anyway.

Especially if you're using magnetic mounts.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CannonFodder posted:

The trailers say Wisconsin so I'm going with yes.

When the trailer was finally lined up right he slammed it into the dock so hard that poo poo was probably flying out of the trailer, then he pulled forward so it could fall down off the dock and then back over it again.

From what I read he was in the middle of having a stroke (not the fun kind) or some other kind of rather bad brain+blood event.

So yeah...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Not that I remember; it was on reddit, so it's to be taken with a large grain boulder of salt.

e: https://www.reddit.com/r/Truckers/comments/7jluas/usa_truck_driver_has_some_slight_issues_trying_to/

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 20, 2017

• Locked thread