Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealTimski
Feb 21, 2013
Time for the monthly update with a short video as Jenson returns to Hengsha:

- Welcome to Hensha (Saving Malik):

Jenson and Malik are shot down and ambushed by bell-tower units, on approach to lower Hengsha. Although Jenson manages to bail out in time Malik is still stuck inside with a squadron of PMC cyborgs closing in.

In this update: DJB joins me for a rude welcoming to Hengsha. This update involves the two possible ways of passing this small level: one with a safe ghost passage and the second by saving Malik while maintaining the foxiest of hounds and pacifist rank (achieving both a ghost rank and saving Malik is not a possible outcome). In my opinion this is probably one of the hardest parts of the game for a few technical reasons.

The first is similar to a point in Tai yong medical where Jenson encountered Zhao for the first time. The game switched into an automated alert state which makes it difficult to tell if you're detected or not, this time the alert level starts in combat so it's even harder to tell. Getting detected doesn't really matter much though, because there's no alarms being triggered that will effect your end game rank you just loose out on the 500 point ghost rank at the end of the stage.

Secondly is more an issue related to more to the typical "consoles and joy-pads are turds" problem. This point in the game is extremely processor intensive at least when you're using 8 year old hardware with poor ventilation. Basically there are more separate entities being rendered at this point than an xbox can handle, so your frame rate tanks and if your anything like me then you've got a headache as result.

Of course if you can get past that then this little section is rather enjoyable and very well designed for both stealth and combat. I'm also a big fan of the no win scenario in stories and if at any point in this game that such a thing is prevalent then it's here where Jenson can be torn between saving a friend or maintaining his cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
I think that the game engine basically has time stop when you punch people out. At least when I did it, it seemed that unlike having to reload your stun gun, you could walk up, punch someone (doing the whole cutscene-esque takedown) and nothing happens during that time. You can (with energy bars etc) just run though and knockout everyone in record time.

The game is rather kind about how close you have to be or where you have to "aim" to initiate a takedown. It is a lot easier to do than using the stungun, even. I actually just ran at the guys while mashing the takedown button, I think, and the moment it was over just ran at the next guy (hit the energy bar key if you need it).

In some cases where a bunch of mooks are all grouped up and running at you (or in a crowd of civilians, I guess) you can basically takedown everyone before anyone does anything, even if it was 5 double takedown. Though if you have to run at enemies who aren't distracted, probably one would cloak, run up and then takedown everyone.

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 5, 2014

RealTimski
Feb 21, 2013

Alavaria posted:

I think that the game engine basically has time stop when you punch people out. At least when I did it, it seemed that unlike having to reload your stun gun, you could walk up, punch someone (doing the whole cutscene-esque takedown) and nothing happens during that time. You can (with energy bars etc) just run though and knockout everyone in record time.
That may be entirely possible but I'm not really a fan of that kind of exploit. The little take down cutscenes are fine when there spread apart or when you're slowly picking guards off one by one. When you're chaining them together though, I find it gets kind of repetitive and it upsets the games flow; with me having control for one second of combat, then it stopping only to have a little cut scene with everything paused and repeat. Navigating that quick menu on consoles for when you want to top up your energy bars is also a bitch that stops and starts the game. If you don't have weapons though and you want to take all the guys out I guess it's a useful alternative but to me it's more tedious than fun.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Actually for most of the game I was sneaking around and hiding while waiting on energy to recharge. Very stealthy. I actually knocked out more opponents with takedown than anything else.

Except for this part, because obviously you can't do that.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Saving Malik comes down to the choice Jensen makes leaving the platform where he lands. This video is a great example. It's not immediately obvious that you can get up to the second floor of the building on the right from the ramp leading up over the dumpster, but every playthrough I've seen where Malik is alive at the end, starts with that.

Also, there's a third outcome, if Jensen doesn't leave right away but Malik runs out of hitpoints. Instead of the Belltower goons yanking her out of the copter and executing her in front of Jensen with villainous laughter, she'll have different dialogue and blow up the copter. I think most people playing the game get that option. :smith:

RealTimski
Feb 21, 2013
Lovely new update (and about time):

- Hengsha Hub 2: Sidequests:

In this update DJB joins me as we go through the two sidequests that are available in our second visit to Hengsha, as well as visiting the limb clinic in order to fix the glitches in his retinal enhancers. These side quests include:

- Talion A.D: Descend into the bowels of an urban jungle and confront a warrior-priest.

- Corporate Warfare/ A Matter of Discretion: Protect a client's interests by performing a less-than-hostile takeover.

In the next update (main missions) we will be diving into the Harvesters underground Hive and will also cover the shorter of the two DLC missions.

MajesticMonkey
Mar 31, 2011
It might be worth mentioning that Zelasny is the name of a celebrated Polish American sci-fi/fantasy author.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Ooook, wow, I guess I have never actually properly completed Talion AD. Somehow he always opened fire on me. Guess I never managed to pick the right trees, despite acing every other one in the game.

RealTimski
Feb 21, 2013

LeschNyhan posted:

Ooook, wow, I guess I have never actually properly completed Talion AD. Somehow he always opened fire on me. Guess I never managed to pick the right trees, despite acing every other one in the game.

You could have just been too confrontational with him, threatening to stop him. It's more a no win style mission forcing the player to think differently over the ethical complications brought up there. It's a shame there aren't more missions that deal with morally grey areas.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MajesticMonkey posted:

It might be worth mentioning that Zelasny is the name of a celebrated Polish American sci-fi/fantasy author.

He was also referenced in a tiny bit in the original Deus Ex: there's a login/password combination of rzelazny/shadowjack (being one of his books).
I am ashamed I know that.

RealTimski
Feb 21, 2013
Hengsha mission update (last hub area):

- Hengsha Hub 2: Main Missions:

In this update DJB joins me as we go through the main mission of our second visit to Hengsha (the final hub area):

- Find Sevchenko's GPL Device: On Jensen's second visit to Hengsha Island, he is tasked with finding Sevchenko's GPL device, so far Jenson's hunt has brought him to the Harvester's den.

- Saving Tongs Son (DLC): Also known as "You Scratch My Back, I'll Scratch Yours," This mission involves sneaking into an old noodle warehouse to rescue the son of Harvister kingpin Tong, from bell-tower.

There are a few things that I did't mention in this update namely:

- Tong Si Hung (voiced by Denis Akiyama) actually appears in the original Deus ex and invisible war as well as Human revolution. It's also a worthy mention that whenever cyborgs suffer the chip glitch; Tong doesn't react which suggest that he's either had his hip replaced or one of his goons has tinkered with it.

- The second mission of this update is part of the explosive mission pack, a $4 DLC. This pack does contain some "cheat like" content in the form of a bonus of 5000 credits (found in Jenson's apartment), the auto hack devise (which allows users to instantly bypass any hack regardless of level) and the grenade launcher; which is basically a rapid firing rocket launcher for a lethal play through.

RealTimski
Feb 21, 2013
Now we finish off Hengsha with one final mission:

- Stowing Away:

With no more leads, Jenson has no choice but to follow the advise of Harvester Tong. The only way to find the lost scientists is to stow away amongst a Tai Young cargo boat, hopefully wherever it makes port will find Jenson answers.

This is actually the final point in the game where we can meet with merchants but not the final point where we can purchase Praxis kits so if you're feeling low on credits you can always run back and forth to grind if you're desperately boring. I also failed to mention in the video that within a cutscene; Jenson cheats death for the second time only now he survives because of his augmentations. It's not really necessary but it was an attempt by the writers to have some form of character development with Jenson to show that this is the body he belongs in.

The next updates will covering following the Missing Link DLC.

RealTimski fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 8, 2014

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Will you be attempting to do Factory Zero for the Missing Link or just ghost rank?

Still massively enjoying this LP by the way, keep it up and thanks for your commitment!

RealTimski
Feb 21, 2013

Shinmera posted:

Will you be attempting to do Factory Zero for the Missing Link or just ghost rank?

Still massively enjoying this LP by the way, keep it up and thanks for your commitment!

This LP I've ended up pretty much showing all of the achievements so yes. It's also one of the parts of the Missing Link that makes it a well made piece of DLC, it changes the pace of the game and allows for a massive challenge which in my opinion is more fun. I'll also be covering the differences in the DLC compared to the directors cut as well as a separate video covering the PC version.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Really Tong are you trying to get Jensen to come strangle you in the future.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Tong is such a scamp. He is a delightful rapscallion and I'll not hear a word against him.

And Jensen, that is not how a hero slowly walks away from an explosion. Have some dignity, man.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
How goes the editing, buttlord?

RealTimski
Feb 21, 2013
As the Crow flies gently caress you David.

For those who are interested tomorrow at 19:00 London times, David and I will be streaming the directors cut of Deus Ex: HR over at me twitch.

I will be uploading the footage as part of the thread so if you miss it, ehh whatever. Missing link part 1's going up shortly too.

RealTimski
Feb 21, 2013
New update with a whole new Level:

- The Missing Link (DLC):

Released on the 18th October 2011, a month after the initial release of Human Revolution, The Missing Link is the first and only DLC for Human Revolution that wasn't part of a game package. The Missing Link expands the game with both a whole new level packed with a new missions, lighting effects and environmental ambiance, it also delves deeper into the story and main plot thread, exploring it with new characters and moral choices. The Missing Link explains what happened to Adam Jensen during his three-day disappearance after he left Hengsha a second time in a stasis pod.

Although the DLC is accessed through the main menu available for access at any time, the directors cut has it integrated into the story, meaning all of your items and upgrades can carry through to the main game.

The Missing Link (Part 1):

Waking up tied to an electromagnetic chair that inhibits augmentations, Jensen bears the torture of the base commander, Netanya Keitner and Pieter Burke, both who believing him to be a spy with government or company affiliations. After the torture, equipment strangely deactivates in Keitner's absence, allowing Jensen to flee the area as an attempt to escape with nothing but a mysterious hacker to guide him.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
The depth of detail in this game is constantly inspiring. I know every game and maybe especially AAA titles like this one is a mish-mash of broken development cycles and eternally being six months from perfection, but there is such a lot to love here even with its much-maligned boss-battles and tonal problems from some design decisions. I mostly play stupid casual or procedurally generated sandbox games, and it makes me really appreciate that stuff like this gets assembled with so much love. Also, I've been following Bobbin Threadbare's brilliant Deus Ex LP and seeing the transformational evolution of the genre is a bit of an eye-opener too.

Shame the DLC had to Metroid-sequel all of your awesome stuff away for a flat playing field at the start though. Still way smarter than most parts of the MGS games.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Actually the boss fights got tweaked a lot in the Director's Cut version, allowing for a lot more options. But yeah, this is a really good game - they wanted to make it as much of a love letter to the original DX as possibly and somehow managed to get most of it right.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
Before this thread falls into nothingness, Tim has invited me over to record the next part this week. Sorry for the delay, Tim has been working hard with filming and editing for Voices (Theatre Company)!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I'll eagerly await new episodes then!

RealTimski
Feb 21, 2013
It's about time I did a new video update, so here's a new video update:

Deus Ex: The Missing Link DLC Part 2:

Sneaking his way through the ship; Jenson has reached the loading bay of Rifleman Bank Station (a Belltower sea based facility). Jenson has received contact from a mysterious hacker who requests that they now meet.

This week DJB joins me as we continue with The Missing Link DLC. This video also serves as a video guide for finding the hidden rocket module locations, however I fell I didn't make the locations very clear in the video, so at some point over the next few days I'll make a separate update that make for a clearer guide. This video also feels very lacking because the Missing Link involves a lot of backtracking that would both elongate the video and make it a long slug of repetitive dull. So I've split the section we're currently on into two videos.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Welcome back.

RealTimski
Feb 21, 2013
OK so time for my monthly video update, Merry December, 19th 2014:

-Deus Ex: The Missing Link DLC Part 3:

Sneaking his way through Rifleman Bank Station, Jenson uncover his mysterious contact; base commander Netanya Keitner. Open her request Jenson Sneaks his way through the remainder of the base only to discover it's really a science research station, testing on "unwanted belligerents."

In this update DJB joins me as Jenson must now Recover a key for the next layer of the facility and prepare for any unenforceable consequences... So possible spoilers of what's to come, but more importantly we uncover the biggest mystery of Human Revolution.

RealTimski fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 20, 2014

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Ah, I was just wondering today if there'd be another update any time soon. Nice.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

So I take it from the words at the end that they know your coming.

RealTimski
Feb 21, 2013

cokerpilot posted:

So I take it from the words at the end that they know your coming.

It's more the game pulls a dick move and forces a scripted event on you that shouldn't really happen if you're playing stealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

RealTimski posted:

It's more the game pulls a dick move and forces a scripted event on you that shouldn't really happen if you're playing stealth.

Something of a recurring theme in an otherwise excellent game.

• Locked thread